GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Taiyaki

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by Taiyaki »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Basically, you need a DC VGA cable to get the console output RGBHV, otherwise it indeed outputs RGBS.

Don't expect everything to look well when downscaled for the reasons I mentioned in the other thread, but I guess that anything is better than vanilla CVS2 or MVC2.

Ops, sorry for not explaining myself better, mate. I already have an Extron interface and I'd be using RGB, I meant which GBS device is the one to get as I'm a bit confused about this GBS thing. This seller says you need a GBS Control as well as a GBS-C AIO board?
But wouldn't I want it to stay in RGBS if I'm going Dreamcast > Scart > GBSC > Component > Component to scart adapter > Scart > CRT ?

That seller is really confusing me too. I thought just a GBS Controller with Scart input and Component output would be all I need too.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Guile wrote:I rarely use Scart so I don't really know much about it. What kind of Scart cable are you using for the Dreamcast? I know there are some that combine sync so you might already have RGBS output.

For the gbs-c output you would need an active converter to convert component to RGB for Scart. It might be easier to use the RGBHV output and convert that to Scart instead.

Are you planning to make or buy a pre-made gbs-c? It looks like some of the new pre-made ones have Scart input but I don't have any experience with them, only ones I've made from stock boards.
I use this kind of Scart cable:
https://retro-access.com/products/dream ... cart-cable

Oh you're right. Looks like it already combines sync. It's been so long since I put this setup together I had forgotten all about this concern.

Yes I was thinking of buying pre-made for the GBS-C, but I see they mostly seem to offer VGA and HDMI as an output.

I found one model that does Component in and Component out which isn't ideal either as I'm starting out with scart on both PS2 and DC.

Would one option be to get a Scart in / VGA out model and to just go:

Scart > GBSC > VGA > VGA to Scart transcoder > Scart > CRT TV?
Guile

Post by Guile »

Taiyaki wrote:
Would one option be to get a Scart in / VGA out model and to just go:

Scart > GBSC > VGA > VGA to Scart transcoder > Scart > CRT TV?
I've never used one with Scart input but that chain looks like it should work.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Thanks! I'll go ahead and buy one and try this out. Very excited.

By the way are the models with the on-screen display worth it? Can they be turned off during use?

I'm inclined to go for a unit without the screen since I feel it will just be an extra source of bright light in the way and probably not be of much use, but if that's not the case and it's actually useful I'd reconsider.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Let me know which you finally bought and where, please. I'm still confused and curious about how well this works.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Let me know which you finally bought and where, please. I'm still confused and curious about how well this works.
Will do.

I see two that look quite good (that include scart inputs), the first one for its features and low pricing the other more expensive option which appears better built:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284952180221
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304195147075

There other models with an on-screen displays but not sure how useful that is.
Guile

Post by Guile »

Taiyaki wrote:Thanks! I'll go ahead and buy one and try this out. Very excited.

By the way are the models with the on-screen display worth it? Can they be turned off during use?
Do you mean with a separate info display on the unit like an ossc? The original gbs-8200 osd is disabled by the gbs-c firmware and everything is visible in the web interface.

I've never used one with an external info display, the web interface is adequate enough for me.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Guile wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Thanks! I'll go ahead and buy one and try this out. Very excited.

Do you mean with a separate info display on the unit like an ossc? The original gbs-8200 osd is disabled by the gbs-c firmware and everything is visible in the web interface.

I've never used one with an external info display, the web interface is adequate enough for me.
Yes, some units have added onscreen displays apparently and you can regulate some of the main settings on it from what I've seen on Youtube.

The only thing I can see myself using the display for is to check that the settings haven't reverted as a precaution to make sure I don't end up sending 31khz signals to my 15khz consumer crt.

Guess I won't be needing it then.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

By the way if I use the scart cable in 480p 31khz mode to the GBSC, would I need to change the toggle to RGBHV? If I do that I guess I'd need to use a VGA2Scart on the video out to convert the signal to RGBS correct?

Just realized with the GBSC I might be able to get 480p downscaled to 240p on my CRT instead of downscaling 480i to 240p. Not all games can do 480p of course, but I'm guessing results should be nicer.

Can the same be done with the PS2? I know to start in 480p one has to hold Triangle and X at startup, but do scart cables support 480p? I've never used 480p on a CRT for reasons of of not using 480p compatible displays, so I'm not very experienced on the subject.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Which scart cable do you have? I imagine if it has the 480p switch it will also have a sync combiner.

PS2 can do 480p over SCART but it does it via sync on green (RGsB) which is not compatible with a lot of devices - GBSC included.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

can you recommend a ODV GBS-C? does it always transmit the excact Input HZ rate in the output? Or is the framebuffer always on?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Scart will carry 480p. Not all ps2 games that can do 480p initiate 480p the same. For instance, Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 initiates 480p from each game's settings menu.

See this list, paying attention to the footnotes: https://www.scribd.com/document/4828367 ... play-modes

And yes, 480p downscaled is nicer than 480i downscaled. CCC2 is a primary example- downscaling 480i produces a flicker scanlines at the bottom of the edge (and is just overall slightly less appealing in appearance).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Kez wrote:Which scart cable do you have? I imagine if it has the 480p switch it will also have a sync combiner.

PS2 can do 480p over SCART but it does it via sync on green (RGsB) which is not compatible with a lot of devices - GBSC included.
Yes the DC Scart cable I have was from Retro Access and has a switch to alternate between 15khz and 31khz for 480p.

Thank you. So then if I want to go 480p on PS2 what method is recommended for use on the GBSC? Component? Or a RGsB to RGBS converter?
NoAffinity wrote:Scart will carry 480p. Not all ps2 games that can do 480p initiate 480p the same. For instance, Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2 initiates 480p from each game's settings menu.

See this list, paying attention to the footnotes: https://www.scribd.com/document/4828367 ... play-modes

And yes, 480p downscaled is nicer than 480i downscaled. CCC2 is a primary example- downscaling 480i produces a flicker scanlines at the bottom of the edge (and is just overall slightly less appealing in appearance).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thank you! I took note of this.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Would a cable like this using RGBS VGA work out for the PS2 in 480p RGBS?

https://retro-access.com/collections/pl ... dsub-cable
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Also occurs to me since I use the Gscartsw there's a feature for "Sync on Green to RGBS conversion support". Maybe that would allow me to still get 480p out of Scart on the PS2?

If I'm not mistaken it appears to be on my default and there's a dip switch to disable it.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Taiyaki wrote:Also occurs to me since I use the Gscartsw there's a feature for "Sync on Green to RGBS conversion support". Maybe that would allow me to still get 480p out of Scart on the PS2?

If I'm not mistaken it appears to be on my default and there's a dip switch to disable it.
Yep that would work great if you have one of the models that do that.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Kez wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:Also occurs to me since I use the Gscartsw there's a feature for "Sync on Green to RGBS conversion support". Maybe that would allow me to still get 480p out of Scart on the PS2?

Yep that would work great if you have one of the models that do that.
Fantastic.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Kez wrote:Which scart cable do you have? I imagine if it has the 480p switch it will also have a sync combiner.

Just a follow up question on this if I may.

When connecting the PS2 scart to the GBSC, do I need to go through the scartgsw first in order to correct the RGsB into RGBs or can I do it after the GBSC? In other words:
PS2 > GBSC > Gscartsw

Would that work? Or does the Gscartsw need to go first for the GBSC to take the 480p signal?
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

Taiyaki wrote:When connecting the PS2 scart to the GBSC, do I need to go through the scartgsw first in order to correct the RGsB into RGBs or can I do it after the GBSC? In other words:
PS2 > GBSC > Gscartsw

Would that work? Or does the Gscartsw need to go first for the GBSC to take the 480p signal?
You'll want to plug the PS2's SCART output into the gscartsw in the appropriate slot, which should be the last one, then plug the output from the gscartsw into the RGB in on the GBSC, using a sync combiner circuit as appropriate. In 240p and 480i modes all devices would work as they typically would; in 480p mode the PS2 would output sync-on-green, which the gscartsw would separate and send to the GBSC. If you don't have the gscartsw between the PS2 and the GBSC you'll be sending the sync-on-green to the GBSC and it won't know what to do.

As an aside, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of those AliExpress GBSC solutions that also has composite/s-video in to see if they handle my VCR and SuperGrafx better than the Koryuu. I can deal with the VCR video skipping when the tape is extra dirty or when there's no image, but my SuperGrafx has sync issues with the Koryuu on any game, but not a flash cart splash page.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

mrsmiley381 wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:When connecting the PS2 scart to the GBSC, do I need to go through the scartgsw first in order to correct the RGsB into RGBs or can I do it after the GBSC? In other words:
PS2 > GBSC > Gscartsw

You'll want to plug the PS2's SCART output into the gscartsw in the appropriate slot, which should be the last one, then plug the output from the gscartsw into the RGB in on the GBSC, using a sync combiner circuit as appropriate. In 240p and 480i modes all devices would work as they typically would; in 480p mode the PS2 would output sync-on-green, which the gscartsw would separate and send to the GBSC. If you don't have the gscartsw between the PS2 and the GBSC you'll be sending the sync-on-green to the GBSC and it won't know what to do.

As an aside, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of those AliExpress GBSC solutions that also has composite/s-video in to see if they handle my VCR and SuperGrafx better than the Koryuu. I can deal with the VCR video skipping when the tape is extra dirty or when there's no image, but my SuperGrafx has sync issues with the Koryuu on any game, but not a flash cart splash page.
Thank you for confirming this point. So the GBSC should be last in the chain minus my VGA2RGB > Retrotink RGB to Comp > Component switch box.

What we classic game console fans wouldn't do to have everything hooked up in a clean way. lol
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Here's a weird follow up but is it possible to have the same connection go back into the gscartsw?

For example:

PS2 > gscartsw > GBSC > vga2scart > gscartsw > etc > tv

I have two gscartsw so maybe I can start out from 1 and end up in the other.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

Quote and page links are busted for me now so apologies if this somehow is malformed.
Here's a weird follow up but is it possible to have the same connection go back into the gscartsw?

For example:

PS2 > gscartsw > GBSC > vga2scart > gscartsw > etc > tv

I have two gscartsw so maybe I can start out from 1 and end up in the other.
You could do something like this using two gscartsw units. I think I see why you want to do that; you don't want to run 240p-only content through the GBSC, right? Technically you can and you can leave downscale enabled. At that point 240p content will act as passthrough content with nigh-lagless (microseconds?) output. The setup I'm finagling is two gscartsw units chained, with PS2 input on the last slot (to handle RGsB), numerous other consoles on the other SCART inputs (including a RetroAccess-SCART Dreamcast cable which always outputs RGBS whether it's 15/31 kHz), and optionally even doing an HDMI switch into VGA conversion into SCART conversion in one of the slots (480p only, may need some EDID-forcing as a safety precaution) since at that end of the day I'm outputting to a big fat VGA CRT monitor.

Keep in mind the signal from the GBSC will either be RGBHV or component. If you output the GBSC to a SCART-input you'll need a sync combiner. I am also note entirely sure if there's any major difference between downscaling from the RGB input or component input on the GBSC.

Now someone comb through my post and make sure I didn't just explode Taiyaki's TV by proxy :P
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I'm still kind of lost. Isn't it usual that the GBS-C supports RGBHV input?

https://www.odv-gbsc.com/

https://1uprestorations.com/products/gbs-control

Am I missing something? What's the best option to purchase right now for downscaling DC's VGA output into 240p (RGBS preferably)?

Thks!
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:I'm still kind of lost. Isn't it usual that the GBS-C supports RGBHV input?
mrsmiley381 wrote:Keep in mind the signal from the GBSC will either be RGBHV or component.
Statement from my previous post bolded for emphasis. The GBSC will output RGBHV by default or component with the right cable and right setting in the UI. I made note of this because Taiyaki considered outputting his GBSC to a second gscartsw; this won't work right unless the gscartsw has a sync combiner feature I've forgotten. It also accepts RGBHV on the DE-15 input but can do RGBS with the necessary mods and a sync separator. Alternatively, you should also be able to RGBs on the appropriate pins on the five-pin header on the top of the board next to the DE-15 input. You'll still need the resistor tweak for this if I am not mistaken.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Am I missing something? What's the best option to purchase right now for downscaling DC's VGA output into 240p (RGBS preferably)?
"Best" depends on your setup. For Taiyaki and myself who have multiple systems with which we want to utilize a switcher and still have native 240p/480i output, getting the SCART cable from Retro Gaming Cables or Retro Access with the 15/31 kHz switch is the ticket. If you hate Bangai-O and a couple other games, you could get an original or knockoff VGA box and output it to a GBSC which does not have the resistor mod in the link I shared above, configure it for downscaled output, add a sync combiner on the GBSC output, and have fun.

I also found a source that mentions that RGBHV input being subject to downscaling could have issues. The author says he went with component input. As I'm sure you already know it's incredibly easy for the AV chain at the heart of your setup could become very complex rather quickly. My recommendation is to get all the consoles you want together, determine what their output options are, and find ways to standardize their expectations. For me, the current target is a very capable 480p monitor. My Twin Famicom, NES, and SuperGrafx are all composite devices. My SNES, Master System, Genesis, Saturn, and PS1 are all strictly 240p/480i SCART. My Dreamcast and PS2 are 240p/480i/480p SCART. My Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP Go, and PS3 are all 480p component for now (need to check on which of these can do proper 4:3 HDMI). My N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS4, and Xbox One are all 480p HDMI devices with the expectation that anything that forces widescreen 480p needs to be adjusted by the GBSC. So, what I'm saying is to do plenty of research and report back with what you learn along the way 8)
I already know I'm going to have some headaches once I start using chained HDMI switches, an EDID emulator for a PS4 Pro, and more obtuse mods.
I also spent way too much time trying to clarify this post and I'm sure I missed a bunch of details. I've been out of the vidya game scene way too long.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Mrsmiley I know what you mean. It's just insane how complex our setups can get. Sometimes I feel the need to refer to some of my notes on how things are connected lol.

So even on the latest version only the last slot handles RGsB on the Gscartsw? That's important to take note of.

What I'm thinking of doing is hooking up the GBSC with video out into the vga2scart and into on my gscartsw2, and using the PS2 and DC on the first switch (which normally goes into the second), and have the video out on gscartsw1 (normally hooked into gscartsw2) occasionally moved to the GBSC when in need (which would go straight into gscartsw2 in the end anyway).

This way at least theoretically I should be able to only use the GBSC for games where the downscaling can be of use.

Thanks to your breakdown I think I have things noted down for how to proceed. I hope the RGBHV downscaling has either been corrected or is not as problematic as mentioned in that article. Once I get my parts I'll be sure to report back.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:I'm still kind of lost. Isn't it usual that the GBS-C supports RGBHV input?

https://www.odv-gbsc.com/

https://1uprestorations.com/products/gbs-control

Am I missing something? What's the best option to purchase right now for downscaling DC's VGA output into 240p (RGBS preferably)?

Thks!
For the later question, from my understanding, you just need to go DC > GBSC > VGA2SCART (converts back into RGBS). That is assuming you want to end up in scart or component. To finish out in Component just add a Retrotink Scart to Component encoder.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Thank you both and specially mrsmiley381 for the info. Interesting links as well. Regarding my last question, I must be failing all this time to explain myself well - I mean what's specifically the best hassle-free GBSC device available right now for that purpose (VGA DC > 240p for 15khz RGB TV set), as it seems there're several. Better yet if it's sold within Europe. Too bad that all of them output RGBHV, but I can deal with that.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Taiyaki wrote:So even on the latest version only the last slot handles RGsB on the Gscartsw? That's important to take note of.
I don't think that's the case. On some of the early model gscartsw, it would default to a particular slot when it didn't detect an input and you could use that to pass through things like YPbPr and RGsB, but it didn't convert them. I think the current model can detect SoG in any input and convert it to RGBS.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Kez wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:So even on the latest version only the last slot handles RGsB on the Gscartsw? That's important to take note of.
I don't think that's the case. On some of the early model gscartsw, it would default to a particular slot when it didn't detect an input and you could use that to pass through things like YPbPr and RGsB, but it didn't convert them. I think the current model can detect SoG in any input and convert it to RGBS.
So then any of the 8 slots on the newer models have the sync on green compensation? Fantastic.
Bassa-Bassa wrote:Thank you both and specially mrsmiley381 for the info. Interesting links as well. Regarding my last question, I must be failing all this time to explain myself well - I mean what's specifically the best hassle-free GBSC device available right now for that purpose (VGA DC > 240p for 15khz RGB TV set), as it seems there're several. Better yet if it's sold within Europe. Too bad that all of them output RGBHV, but I can deal with that.
From the looks of it none of them are hassle free. Some have scart as an input, and some seem to even have component as an output. Really depends what you need I guess. Also the one I linked to above on ebay has a bunch of fixes applied (parts removed or replaced for correcting certain issues). Again this is only based on what I've read, since I haven't tried the device myself yet.
Puppydogpals

Post by Puppydogpals »

I built mine around Aug 2021, has their been any major updates or fixes on the firmware in sense that i should get around to updating the firmware??