GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dooklink

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by dooklink »

blank964 wrote:I tried 0.2 but was getting some bash errors on gbs-control.sh so I went back to 0.1

gbs-control.sh: line 336: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
gbs-control.sh: line 336: ` leLioaUE=fi an./ -maxdepth60 -t"Typf |nd rt)
I've done something wrong trying to post v0.2. My zip file got currupted somehow. I'll try fix it soon.
blank964

Post by blank964 »

dooklink wrote:
blank964 wrote:I tried 0.2 but was getting some bash errors on gbs-control.sh so I went back to 0.1

gbs-control.sh: line 336: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
gbs-control.sh: line 336: ` leLioaUE=fi an./ -maxdepth60 -t"Typf |nd rt)
I've done something wrong trying to post v0.2. My zip file got currupted somehow. I'll try fix it soon.
Sounds good. I'm really curious about the 1080p scaling.
hwarin

Post by hwarin »

Hi, all

I've found this thread by googling about hacks for the GB82xx. I'm not so much focussed on "hi quality displays" but more on real capabilities of this hardware (GBS8200/GBS8220) and it's hability to display on VGA something else than pure CGA/15Khz as MDA/18Khz and EGA/22Khz for vintage computers at a reasonable cost [IE:not like XVGA]

So far, from what I've been able to read and test, it is supposed to support CGA, EGA and VGA. In the facts, I've only been able to use it in CGA-RVBS (active low) at 15Khz (+/- 0.5 Khz) - the other capabilities EGA-RVBS at 24 Khz (+/- 0.5 Khz) , and VGA-RVBHV in 31Khz are useless to me.

The approach of I2C tweak might be a solution to my problem - What do you think about this ? Would this be doable ?

I've got, under the hand, a vintage Amstrad 1640 (capable of pure MDA/CGA/EGA displays), an osciloscope to explore video signals, an home made adaptor board to mix/invert sync signals as needed, one GBS8200 V4 and one GBS8220 V3, an Arduino Mega and some CY7C68013A boards to inject I2C commands but no knowledge on internal GBS operation. I would apreciate some guidance from experienced peolpes.

Regards - Hervé
subalot

Post by subalot »

nice project, dude^^

lookin 4ward flashing the gonbes already:-)
it would be awsom tho get some more features ot of the Gonbes!!!

sorry 4 gettin kinda offtopic-but thiz seems to be the right place to ask my question:

i did get the Gonbes 8220 initally for my House of the Dead Sega Model2 pcb-to be able to play the friggin game, at least on a pc monitor(no 25khz Chassis in House atm.)
man, was i wrong...

the sync for the gun´s isn´t properly transferd, meaning flashing image but no shot recognition.
the image is showing some red-ish "mask" after some time running(1 min or so)...initally it does look fine.
could be a power issue tough, coz im runnin the gbs8220 from my ANKER battery pack.

i did try an extron VSC700D (which does show som 25khz @ its input) which gave me no moving picture (it does look like the pcb is kinda "stuck").
i do have an sony DSC 1024g which does give me an image right away(btw. which is capable of 15khz@it´s input-the extron starts @25khz) but no gun-sync whatsoever.

does anybody of you guys know if it is possible to play 25khz Lightgun-games on a 15khz monitor?
How is this archieved?

sorry again...and thank you 4 efford with this project-AWESOME!!!!

Cheers:-)
dwards

Post by dwards »

Hi All,

I am very excited to try this out. I have a rPi B+, Sync Strike, SNES (NTSC), the retrogamingcables.com EuroSCART with Sync Type: Composite video + Sync, and a GBS-8220 on the way. I will post my results hopefully sometime early next week. I did see that Ace9921 was having difficulties with Nintendo systems. So hopefully my combination of equipment produces better results. Can anyone else share if they have a working NES, SNES, N64 system with the CFW? I think I saw dooklink post an NES screenshot on the Amiga forum. I also have a RGB modded NES to try if not.

Dwards
dooklink

Post by dooklink »

dwards wrote:Hi All,

I am very excited to try this out. I have a rPi B+, Sync Strike, SNES (NTSC), the retrogamingcables.com EuroSCART with Sync Type: Composite video + Sync, and a GBS-8220 on the way. I will post my results hopefully sometime early next week. I did see that Ace9921 was having difficulties with Nintendo systems. So hopefully my combination of equipment produces better results. Can anyone else share if they have a working NES, SNES, N64 system with the CFW? I think I saw dooklink post an NES screenshot on the Amiga forum. I also have a RGB modded NES to try if not.

Dwards
The NES screenshot was from retroarch running on a Wii, so I don't know how a NES would go. The main thing is using a sync strike or similar to get good clean sync. Apparently the GBS board shouldn't be feed 5V sync, so I've put a 10k/20k resistor devider on mine to get 3.3V sync.

My setting are fixed, so a slight change in the input frequencies may cause issues, but I've not had any myself yet. It should be able to handle the small changes in 15kHz signals since the PLL should correct for the changes. The PLL just has to be setup for the correct frequency range I think.
dooklink

Post by dooklink »

Finally got v0.2 posted for the RPi. I had a lot of issues with github, mostly my own fault.
The only other thing I'm thinking of adding is dynamic switching of some settings to allow for 480i/240p and 576i/288p switching games.
blank964

Post by blank964 »

Just tried 0.2 and 1080p looks great. I'm trying to decide if I like 480pSLG3k more than 1080p.

I would be highly supportive of 480i/240p switching. My Saturn would love it.

Thanks for all the updates.
dwards

Post by dwards »

I was able to test everything out and I am very impressed. Nice work dooklink! Compared to the original firmware this is a huge improvement! I noticed on the original firmware the image is shaky and unstable with sections of the frame missing from time to time. This CFW creates a nice, stable, sharp image without any de-interlacing artifacts.

The image below shows NBA Jam on SNES in RGBHV. It looks very sharp but unfortunately there is a lot of the heat wave noise that you can see pretty decently in the photo. I think the noise is a product of the hardware in general not the firmware. I'm pretty sure I saw it on the shipped firmware as well. The noise doesn't look as bad in the up close NES shot but it is present on both SNES and NES.

http://s981.photobucket.com/user/cocogo ... t.png.html

This is Dr Mario for NES on 1080p component, looking awesome.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae29 ... S1080p.png

I had a strange centering issue with SNES on 480p component, where as the NES on 480p component looked centered. Just moved the cable not settings changed.

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae29 ... ponent.png

Just wanted to upload these and show my progress. I'm honestly happy with this ASIS if I can fix the heat wave noise.

Dwards
Ace9921

Post by Ace9921 »

I'm still getting really bad black levels on the Sony KV-30HS420 in Component. Like v0.1, I still have blacks showing up gray. Setting VDS_DIS_HB_ST to 62 seems to remedy this problem.

Now to try 1080p output... I need to pull out my Toshiba 26HL37 for that as the KV-30HS420 does not support 1080p at all. Also, the 1080p output doesn't work through the XRGB-Mini, however both 480p and 1080p outputs are recognized by the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (it wouldn't even recognize 480p from the previous version), however, the video is incredibly dark and looks weird with horizontal lines through it. Colors do seem slightly oversaturated, too.

Also, how the hell do you get a Super NES to display properly on the GBS-8220 with the Raspberry Pi? I managed to get the Super NES properly synced, but I have no whites and the picture is INCREDIBLY dark.

EDIT: Oh crap, it seems something has gone horribly wrong with the GBS-8220 because the dark video persists even with the stock firmware! What happened?
blank964

Post by blank964 »

Ace9921 wrote:I'm still getting really bad black levels on the Sony KV-30HS420 in Component. Like v0.1, I still have blacks showing up gray. Setting VDS_DIS_HB_ST to 62 seems to remedy this problem.

Now to try 1080p output... I need to pull out my Toshiba 26HL37 for that as the KV-30HS420 does not support 1080p at all. Also, the 1080p output doesn't work through the XRGB-Mini, however both 480p and 1080p outputs are recognized by the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (it wouldn't even recognize 480p from the previous version), however, the video is incredibly dark and looks weird with horizontal lines through it. Colors do seem slightly oversaturated, too.

Also, how the hell do you get a Super NES to display properly on the GBS-8220 with the Raspberry Pi? I managed to get the Super NES properly synced, but I have no whites and the picture is INCREDIBLY dark.

EDIT: Oh crap, it seems something has gone horribly wrong with the GBS-8220 because the dark video persists even with the stock firmware! What happened?
Sounds like you need a new GBS! Try to find a genuine one ;)
Ace9921

Post by Ace9921 »

Well crap, I'd hope not! And how could this not be genuine? It's got the typical Chinese markings with a Roman III in between, CGA/EGA/YUV to 2VGA text and the board revision, GBS-8220 v3.0, dated 2013.10.28. The Super NES worked fine on the GBS-8220 before I attached the Raspberry Pi to the board, why is it acting up now?

I should also mention I have the same problem with an RGB-modded Nintendo 64.
dooklink wrote:The only other thing I'm thinking of adding is dynamic switching of some settings to allow for 480i/240p and 576i/288p switching games.
This would be superb, but what about adding the other HD resolutions, i.e. 720p and 1080i?
dooklink

Post by dooklink »

Hrm, the black level issue may be due to the actual circuit on the output of the board. I'm thinking that it might need capacitive coupling if there is a DC offset.

Since the output was designed for VGA, the 0.3v sync is above ground. I think it should ideally be negative 0.3v below ground with the luma being 0.7v above, with 75 Ohm termination of course. I think a CRT would have more issues with this. I haven't got access to my KVHR36M31 to try the new settings on, but the old settings were not that bad on it any way.

720p would be possible, but I think 1080i would be a real pain.
Ace9921

Post by Ace9921 »

I actually stuck a 220uF capacitor between the GBS-8220 and the KV-30HS420, but it didn't fix anything. The output still had bad black levels.
dooklink

Post by dooklink »

Ace9921 wrote:I actually stuck a 220uF capacitor between the GBS-8220 and the KV-30HS420, but it didn't fix anything. The output still had bad black levels.
Then I don't know what the cause is. The signal looks almost identical to an Xbox360 component signal on my scope.

There must be an offset on the lowest video level.
dwards

Post by dwards »

Ace9921, do you have another RGB device you can test with the potentially bad GBS? My current guess is that your SNES RGB output is the issue. My kit included the sync strike which I believe you are not using so maybe it is your custom sync stripper setup.

Also, I attached a drawing of what the signal noise I am seeing looks like. This is a top layer of noise above what would be a pretty decent output, so its not distortion of the image. Just more of a noise pattern that I think should be fixable. My question to all is what is the best place to get the authentic GBS-8200 or 8220 with the lowest price that ships to the US?

This vertical wavy noise is constantly flowing up in a vertical fashion. Crappy knockoff GBS perhaps?

just a drawing not a capture...
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae29 ... signal.png

Thanks,
Dwards
dwards

Post by dwards »

Does the CFW or default firmware work with clean CSYNC through the 15-pin DE-15 input on the board, without the V sync? The LM1881N offers composite sync output and vertical sync output for RGBHV. I am wondering if I can skip the sync strike / LM1881N and plug RGB with CSYNC directly into the 15-pin DE-15 input and have a working system. The US SNES outputs CSYNC on the multi output connector. This way I could create a cheaper setup with just SNES outputting RGB and CSYNC going straight into the GBS-8220.

Thanks,
Dwards
dooklink

Post by dooklink »

dwards wrote:Does the CFW or default firmware work with clean CSYNC through the 15-pin DE-15 input on the board, without the V sync? The LM1881N offers composite sync output and vertical sync output for RGBHV. I am wondering if I can skip the sync strike / LM1881N and plug RGB with CSYNC directly into the 15-pin DE-15 input and have a working system. The US SNES outputs CSYNC on the multi output connector. This way I could create a cheaper setup with just SNES outputting RGB and CSYNC going straight into the GBS-8220.

Thanks,
Dwards
I believe so, that's what the sync strike does any way. It is just an easy way to always have clean sync from any scary cable. That way you don't have to build a DE15HD cable for every console.

Another good option is to use the header wires that should have come with the board to add a female scart port. No sync stripper required if you have clean sync. However, the board really should not be fed 5V sync, it should be 3.3V.
hwarin

Post by hwarin »

Hi, all

I've done some progress in my understanding of dooklink's project and TV5725 operation (read the manual). I've also progressed on my knowledge of the CY7C68013a and successfully experienced some I2C programming with it. My interest on this component is that it's easily available on a test board called LCSOFT at a very low cost (5$ or so), it supports I2C and USB, and has lot of IO pins available for other purposes (switching video inputs, keyboard, serial port, whatever ...). I have nearly no knowledge on Linux and don't wish to invest much time on it.

I'm currently limited by the IDE provided by Cypress (free µVision allows only 4Kb of code) and I'm working to switch to SDCC & eclipse (not so easy on Windows) to exploit the entire 16Kb.

I've seen that someone else is thinking at another alternative to the RapsberyPi as an Arduino approach to drive the GB82xx board (TV5725) from I2C.
-> Any comments / ideas / Pros & cons ? [Rapsbery/Arduino/Cypress/MTV230]

My thinkings ...
[Rapsbery]
- Costly, complicated to implement for first time user, Linux
- Demonstrated to be working, probably best suited for testings on TV5735 as helped by an OS, big community
[Arduino]
- Costly (less), complicated to implement for first time user, not directly made to be an USB device, well suited for standalone operation
- Big community, at least one guy interested ...
[Cypress]
- Cheap (5$), easy to implement for first time user, small, made to be an USB device, well suited for standalone operation
- Small community (but 8051 based ...), another guy interested (myself)
[MVT230]
- Free as included into GBS82xx, could be an ideal solution as no need of additional hardware
- High risk of brick, very complicated to develop

Hervé
Ace9921

Post by Ace9921 »

Uh, guys, a little help here? I think GBS-Control has broken something on my GBS-8220. Since using GBS-Control, the auto-adjust functionality of the on-board microcontroller on my GBS-8220 has stopped working. No matter how many times I press the button, it doesn't do anything. I don't see the board readjusting itself to the input nor does the power LED blink to indicate it's in the process of readjusting itself. What happened?
dooklink

Post by dooklink »

Ace9921 wrote:Uh, guys, a little help here? I think GBS-Control has broken something on my GBS-8220. Since using GBS-Control, the auto-adjust functionality of the on-board microcontroller on my GBS-8220 has stopped working. No matter how many times I press the button, it doesn't do anything. I don't see the board readjusting itself to the input nor does the power LED blink to indicate it's in the process of readjusting itself. What happened?
It might be possible that the sync input has been blown on the MTV230. Are you using a sync stripper? Both the 5725 and MTV230 shouldn't be fed 5V as they are 3.3V CMOS chips. So that could be it.

If it isn't that, then I don't think it would be my code unless you have connected to the other I2C port. Can you reset the device? If I recall correctly, holding the auto button for awhile then releasing resets all of the settings. It should output 800x600 after a reset.
Ace9921

Post by Ace9921 »

I do use an LM1881, but I only have problems with the Super NES (three different hardware revisions - SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01 and an RGB-modded Super NES Mini) and an RGB-modded Nintendo 64 (NUS-CPU-04). I still get perfect picture from everything else (Master System, Genesis, arcade PCBs, PlayStations, it's only Nintendo hardware that malfunctions. Even with a 10Kohm series resistor on the LM1881's outputs, I get colors, but no whites, both with the on-board microcontroller and the Raspberry Pi. I also did a full reset of the board, but that didn't do anything. It is outputting 800x600, all color and geometry settings have reverted to normal, but I still have no whites with the Super NES and Nintendo 64. In regards to the I2C port, I used the one on P5 as shown on your diagrams. Prior to using GBS-Control, everything worked, but since then, I have no whites with the Super NES and Nintendo 64 and with the on-board microcontroller, auto-adjust doesn't work anymore.

I should mention that I get proper video through the Component input using two different SCART to Component converters, albeit with the typical white specs all over the screen.
Solo761

Post by Solo761 »

hwarin wrote:[Arduino]
- Costly (less), complicated to implement for first time user, not directly made to be an USB device, well suited for standalone operation
- Big community, at least one guy interested ...
Just a bit about this, targeted Arduino is Arduino Nano which costs $2-$3 on ebay. It's USB device, you use it to transfer the code to atmega MCU which is the heart of the device. Idea is to have a simple and cheap way to mod GBS board.
dooklink

Post by dooklink »

Ace9921 wrote:I do use an LM1881, but I only have problems with the Super NES (three different hardware revisions - SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01 and an RGB-modded Super NES Mini) and an RGB-modded Nintendo 64 (NUS-CPU-04). I still get perfect picture from everything else (Master System, Genesis, arcade PCBs, PlayStations, it's only Nintendo hardware that malfunctions. Even with a 10Kohm series resistor on the LM1881's outputs, I get colors, but no whites, both with the on-board microcontroller and the Raspberry Pi. I also did a full reset of the board, but that didn't do anything. It is outputting 800x600, all color and geometry settings have reverted to normal, but I still have no whites with the Super NES and Nintendo 64. In regards to the I2C port, I used the one on P5 as shown on your diagrams. Prior to using GBS-Control, everything worked, but since then, I have no whites with the Super NES and Nintendo 64 and with the on-board microcontroller, auto-adjust doesn't work anymore.

I should mention that I get proper video through the Component input using two different SCART to Component converters, albeit with the typical white specs all over the screen.
Very odd. My RGB modded N64 worked fine last time I tried it. I find it very odd that only Nintendo consoles have the issue. These are all running at 60Hz?
Ace9921

Post by Ace9921 »

All of these systems are running at 60Hz. And thinking back, I believe I had this problem prior to using GBS-Control if I readjusted the GBS-8220 for some other system that had image shearing or poor sync, but now that I can't get the auto adjust to work, I can't get this thing working with Nintendo consoles anymore.
dooklink

Post by dooklink »

Ace9921 wrote:All of these systems are running at 60Hz. And thinking back, I believe I had this problem prior to using GBS-Control if I readjusted the GBS-8220 for some other system that had image shearing or poor sync, but now that I can't get the auto adjust to work, I can't get this thing working with Nintendo consoles anymore.
I'd guess it could be the scart cable. Are you using the same scart cable for the non functioning consoles? Scart cable wiring for Nintendo consoles can cause issues if not fitted with the correct components for that console version.
Ace9921

Post by Ace9921 »

It's the same cable for both consoles (straight 220uF capacitors on the RGB wires), which works fine on my XRGB-1, XRGB-Mini, CSY-2100 clone and custom SCART to Component converter circuit. It was working fine on the GBS-8220 before, so what gives? Also, regardless of whether I use Composite video as sync (a bad idea on Nintendo consoles as doing so results in an ugly checkerboard pattern) or Composite Sync, the GBS-8220 has no whites.

What bothers me is the auto-adjust not working anymore. What happened between the time that I used the on-board microcontroller only then switched to the Raspberry Pi? It's not the pushbutton, I can tell you that for a fact. I can move down in the menus, so the tact switch itself is not the problem.
dooklink

Post by dooklink »

Ace9921 wrote:It's the same cable for both consoles (straight 220uF capacitors on the RGB wires), which works fine on my XRGB-1, XRGB-Mini, CSY-2100 clone and custom SCART to Component converter circuit. It was working fine on the GBS-8220 before, so what gives? Also, regardless of whether I use Composite video as sync (a bad idea on Nintendo consoles as doing so results in an ugly checkerboard pattern) or Composite Sync, the GBS-8220 has no whites.

What bothers me is the auto-adjust not working anymore. What happened between the time that I used the on-board microcontroller only then switched to the Raspberry Pi? It's not the pushbutton, I can tell you that for a fact. I can move down in the menus, so the tact switch itself is not the problem.
Yeah, I'm baffled. Can you post a picture of what no whites looks like? I know when I'm testing new settings for gbs-control switching between RGB and YPbPr can look weird as I have to manualy change the colour space on my PC monitor. The next two possiblies I would think of are the MTV230M firmware being currupted somehow, or the I2C EEPROM has been corrupted. The second is probably more likely since it is on the same bus as the 5725 I think.

I do have some very crude scripts to dump the MTV230M firmware and write to it. Maybe I could make some improvements to them and get you to dump your firmware. I was thinking of releasing something similar soon so people could post CRC32 or SHA-1 hashes of dumps to find how many different OFW SW versions there are. So far I only know of two, the no name/Gnobes version I've found on two boards, and the Jammaboards version.
Ace9921

Post by Ace9921 »

Here's some direct capture of what I'm seeing on my SHVC-CPU-01 Super NES (this is the GBS-8220 passed through the XRGB-Mini with both set to 800x600 as I have no means to directly record VGA):

I get this same picture using stock firmware on a Macintosh VGA CRT monitor as well as the Raspberry Pi on the Macintosh monitor over VGA, 26HL37 over Component and VGA as well as my Sony KV-30HS420 CRT HDTV over Component (I can't test VGA as there's no VGA input on this TV).

I'm thinking your theory of corrupt firmware is accurate. Why else would the board no longer respond to auto-adjust?
hwarin

Post by hwarin »

Hi,

I've already experienced cases where buttons where not responding correctly, mostly on the V3 GBS8220 and less (may be never) with the V4 GBS8200. To my feeling, it was related to bad debouncing on the MVT and more present when the device had "troubles" to sync [MVT too busy ?].

In all cases, troubles have disapeared when power cycling the device or when applying proper sync signal.

Hervé