GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strayan

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by strayan »

GBSC won’t and the 5x doesn’t output 720x480 or 640x480 only 1440x480.

These will (they’re the only ones I’ve tested):

Crestron HD scaler (by far the easiest to use)
Extron 301 HD
DVDO VP30/VP50 (could only get working with HDMI input like from a GCvideo)
jcmorris

Post by jcmorris »

Im waaaay late to the party here but just recently built myself a GBS-C a while back for downscaling purposes. Mainly interested in downscaling ps4/Switch. Combed over the thread but couldn't find an answer to my question, and thought maybe someone else may have had similar issues. Anyways, Everything worked as expected for the most part, but Im getting these horizontal bands of blurriness, for lack of a better way to put it. Example: In Final Vendetta, the character name is crisp and clear but the horizontal area below where enemy names pop up is blurry.

Here is the signal chain: Switch>>>HDMI to VGA Adapter powered>>>Extron VSC700D(Outputting RGBS)>>>GBSC>>>Extron RGB150xi(outputting RGBS, ADSP OFF)>>>Sony PVM. Most of the image looks great but there are areas horizontally where there is localized flicker or blur. Id say they make up for a total of 10% of total screen. Its usable but annoying and more noticeable in some games than others. If i change the Flicker/Encoder/filters settings on my Extron VSC700 it moves the area which is effected, but does not eliminate the problem.

Anyone run into anything similar and have any idea how to prevent from happening? Or is it just something you have to deal with. Thanks so much
Keith Bress

Post by Keith Bress »

strayan wrote:GBSC won’t and the 5x doesn’t output 720x480 or 640x480 only 1440x480.

Extron 301 HD
Okay, the Crestron HD Scaler looks interesting. I'm looking for a solution for 240p, 480i, and 480p content. Does the Crestron add lag? For 240p and 480i content, should I feed it something that's already been line doubled/deinterlaced? Does it accept 1440x480 from the RT5X or should I get a GBS-C and feed it the output from that?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

jcmorris wrote:Im waaaay late to the party here but just recently built myself a GBS-C a while back for downscaling purposes. Mainly interested in downscaling ps4/Switch. Combed over the thread but couldn't find an answer to my question, and thought maybe someone else may have had similar issues. Anyways, Everything worked as expected for the most part, but Im getting these horizontal bands of blurriness, for lack of a better way to put it. Example: In Final Vendetta, the character name is crisp and clear but the horizontal area below where enemy names pop up is blurry.

Here is the signal chain: Switch>>>HDMI to VGA Adapter powered>>>Extron VSC700D(Outputting RGBS)>>>GBSC>>>Extron RGB150xi(outputting RGBS, ADSP OFF)>>>Sony PVM. Most of the image looks great but there are areas horizontally where there is localized flicker or blur. Id say they make up for a total of 10% of total screen. Its usable but annoying and more noticeable in some games than others. If i change the Flicker/Encoder/filters settings on my Extron VSC700 it moves the area which is effected, but does not eliminate the problem.

Anyone run into anything similar and have any idea how to prevent from happening? Or is it just something you have to deal with. Thanks so much
If I were you I’d try removing the VSC 700 from the chain and just send 480p into the GBSC - annoying as you’d potentially need a *second* sync combiner (or, use the 150xi on the GBSC input side and just set the output signal to component).

Give that a try, if you have a PVM with component!
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

You know I've so many questions about this thing that I get caught up in deciding what to ask about and never post. So let's focus on one thing.

I don't really understand how I'm supposed to use the RGB input on the GBSC. I use mine as the central nerve system through which my Wii, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS1 all connect to my home theater. All but the Dreamcast use YPbPr (HD retrovision component cable for the Saturn and PS1). People have told me that the GBSC hates RGBHV, which I understand that the Dreamcast outputs over VGA.
So how am I supposed to be using that input? I did that thing where I wrapped a resistor around those two prongs on the bottom left of the board near the VGA input but that made the Dreamcast unusable, just static, so I had to take it back off.

I just don't understand what everyone else is doing. Sync strippers, sync combiners, SCART to VGA? I don't understand. Can someone either explain like I'm completely ignorant or point to resource that explains how all this works + relates to the GBSC?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

It handles 480p RGBHV from the dreamcast just fine
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

^agreed

Put the resistor on for any rgbs sources, remove it when connecting the DC (or any other rgbhv sources). Can be on or off when connecting ypbpr sources, doesnt matter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Kez

Post by Kez »

Yeah your two choices are basically to take the resistor off for VGA sources (or solder in a switch), or you can get an RGBS Dreamcast cable like the Retro Access one and leave the resistor in.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Keith Bress wrote:
strayan wrote:GBSC won’t and the 5x doesn’t output 720x480 or 640x480 only 1440x480.

Extron 301 HD
Okay, the Crestron HD Scaler looks interesting. I'm looking for a solution for 240p, 480i, and 480p content. Does the Crestron add lag? For 240p and 480i content, should I feed it something that's already been line doubled/deinterlaced? Does it accept 1440x480 from the RT5X or should I get a GBS-C and feed it the output from that?
There is no actual crop setting on the crestron it’s just if you set it to output 640x480 and your input is 720x480 you can select 1:1 on the remote for a 1:1 PAR and it will crop the 40 addition pixels on the left and right of the image.

Yes the crestron adds lag but I’m not sure precisely how many frames when set to output 640x480. I’ve only lag tested the HDMI input: 1080p (1 frame), 720p (1.5 frames) and 1080i (2 frames).

Yes it works with the 480p output from the retrotink5x.

For memory the dsub inputs supports 15khz sources. No sure about the hdmi input.

A line doubler or deinterlacer might be required based on whether you plan to use the hdmi or analog input and based on personal preference (such as whether you want scanlines or not).
strayan

Post by strayan »

Kez wrote:Yeah your two choices are basically to take the resistor off for VGA sources (or solder in a switch), or you can get an RGBS Dreamcast cable like the Retro Access one and leave the resistor in.
A sync combiner like this will probably work too: https://mysticprysm.com/product/sync-co ... McjJ4NOBtY

Can’t vouch for the seller.
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

maxtherabbit wrote:It handles 480p RGBHV from the dreamcast just fine
NoAffinity wrote:Put the resistor on for any rgbs sources, remove it when connecting the DC (or any other rgbhv sources). Can be on or off when connecting ypbpr sources, doesnt matter.
Kez wrote:Yeah your two choices are basically to take the resistor off for VGA sources (or solder in a switch), or you can get an RGBS Dreamcast cable like the Retro Access one and leave the resistor in.
Alright, great. I really appreciate the help, you all. I felt like I was going nuts, the image looked great to me but if it needed to be "fixed" in some way I'm not sure what the solution would be. It might be fun to try to mod a switch in turn resistance on and off I guess.

So if I understand this right, I would only need the resistor for RGBs sources...would that also apply if I modded the GBSC to take in RGBBs over SCART or BNC? (like this image here):
Spoiler
And one last question if you all would. I keep hearing mention of Sync strippers and such. In layman's terms, what do those do, exactly, in the context of the GBSC? How would they help?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Yeah there is really only one RGB input so the resistor is either there for RGB or not. I would just put a panel mount switch somewhere on the case, and put it between the resistor and the sync line. Then you can just click it between RGBS and RGBHV mode without messing around inside.

So sync is a specific part of a video signal, but some signals like composite or luma contain sync AND some other information, and a lot of SCART cables are sending those signals on the sync pin. What a sync stripper does is remove that other stuff and just deliver sync. Some devices can't handle anything other than sync so they need a sync stripper.

GBS-C is generally fine without one though.
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

^^ Alright I think I get it. The GBSC generally doesn't need a sync stripper for its input (I don't know why I remember the retrorgb video mentioning needing one...). Other types of devices dislike variant types of RGB like sync on green, luma, etc. Idk all the different types but it's irrelevant for the GBSC.

If I wanted to use downscaling or some other function with the Dreamcast, I might want a sync combiner as mentioned above. But generally no one needs a sync stripper for the GBSC.

So I guess my next question is: how are you all putting regular RGB into the GBSC? Obviously there isn't a SCART input, so are you all using SCART to VGA breakout cables? Where would you even buy them?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

You got it all right. I believe I remember rama saying that the gbs's have sync stripper circuitry built in. I could be misremembering but either way not needed.

I wired a female scart connector to a 5-pin connector to connect to the 5 pin rgbs input. I also have mini jst connectors for the other input options but havent had a need to actually wire them up to anything and use them (can be gotten from ali express).
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKs8LTA

kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Kaixe Rho wrote:^^ Alright I think I get it. The GBSC generally doesn't need a sync stripper for its input (I don't know why I remember the retrorgb video mentioning needing one...). Other types of devices dislike variant types of RGB like sync on green, luma, etc. Idk all the different types but it's irrelevant for the GBSC.

If I wanted to use downscaling or some other function with the Dreamcast, I might want a sync combiner as mentioned above. But generally no one needs a sync stripper for the GBSC.

So I guess my next question is: how are you all putting regular RGB into the GBSC? Obviously there isn't a SCART input, so are you all using SCART to VGA breakout cables? Where would you even buy them?
https://www.retroupgrades.co.uk/product ... a-adapter/

Has a sync stripper you can activate with a switch if you do end up needing one after all :)
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

NoAffinity wrote:I wired a female scart connector to a 5-pin connector to connect to the 5 pin rgbs input.
Good to hear I mostly understood everything. Still, that sounds like a lot of work. What did you do to break out the audio from the SCART input?
kitty666cats wrote:Has a sync stripper you can activate with a switch if you do end up needing one after all :)
Just to make sure I understand. That device does look perfect, but it is expecting Euroscart, right? NTSC scart cables have a totally different pinout than PAL ones, so I imagine that would only work for PAL consoles as far as an entry point to the GBSC.

Apologies if this is basic stuff, I've avoided RGB out of fear for a while now. It's all pretty new to me.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Good question, re: audio. I cut the female ends off an rca audio cable (stereo, L/R, red and white) and wired them to the respective audio and ground pins on the scart connector.

"A lot of work" is subjective. ;) I think it took me about an hour to make the cable. I enjoy creating solutions where there isnt one readily available (and for a fraction of the cost of what could be cobbled together with various cable and or adapter combinations). Something like a off the shelf bnc->vga cable may work if you can accommodate the bnc end, and you would still have to solve for audio separately.

Euroscart doesnt care about ntsc vs pal. The signals travel on the same lines, regardless of whether its 60hz or 50hz. You do not however want to mix euroscart and JP-21.

Cyber Akuma

Post by Cyber Akuma »

Kez wrote:Yeah there is really only one RGB input so the resistor is either there for RGB or not. I would just put a panel mount switch somewhere on the case, and put it between the resistor and the sync line. Then you can just click it between RGBS and RGBHV mode without messing around inside.
Pretty much what I was planning to do, put a switch so I can turn that resistor on and off (Thanks for the advice to put the switch between the resistor and sync line specifically). Was wondering why nobody seems to really do it that way other than either permanently attach the resistor or make it a hoop-like connection to try to make it easier to manually add/remove. Just putting it on a switch sounds like a much easier way to do it.
Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

Okay. Got one more question for now. I think I heard little bits before about how the component output was iffy on the GBSC. Something about it dimmer or the colors less vibrant? I think I also heard some mods should be done to make it better, but I didn't see anything on the hardware mod list. I've only done the Clock gen install, removed the potentiometers, bridged the connections, and that's it. If I just get a cable like this should the output be just fine?
Spoiler
---
NoAffinity wrote:I cut the female ends off an rca audio cable (stereo, L/R, red and white) and wired them to the respective audio and ground pins on the scart connector.
...oh, well that sounds easy. I guess I could just cannibalize an existing RCA -> 3.5mm audio cable I already have, huh. Now how I would mount the female 3.5 inside my case is another story...foor for thought, though.
Why am I even thinking about this I don't have a single SCART cable
Euroscart doesnt care about ntsc vs pal. The signals travel on the same lines, regardless of whether its 60hz or 50hz. You do not however want to mix euroscart and JP-21.
Thank you thank you. Okay. For some reason I was convinced that I needed some sort of adapter for using Euroscart cables in American consoles. So yeah, I could use either with my consoles, I would just need to make absolutely sure that the destination was expecting that same standard. Cause the pinouts are totally different and shit might explode.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Yes, a mod is required for component output. See post #1. Yes that cable will work.

Kaixe Rho

Post by Kaixe Rho »

Alright, I've posted a bunch of inane questions about the GBS-C recently, but this is hopefully much more helpful to everyone here.

The GBS-C does not take composite or S-video. The Koryuu could transcode between source -> GBS, but I believe the Koryuu does not work with it because Rama was never able to get a hold of one. I imagine this is a niche concern.
However, I was able to come in contact with the developer of the C2C-64, an excellent soon to be open source alternative to the Koryuu that is also much cheaper. I was informed that functionally, it was identical. Sure enough, after the developer shipped me a completed board, the GBSC cannot interpret its input.

I'm not sure exactly what steps there are to take next. I know Rama is focusing mainly on the XStation now, but I don't know if that means the GBS-C is finished/dead. I created a post on the issue section of the GitHub, but I thought it couldn't hurt to post about it here as well.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I wouldn't expect any further attention to the gbs-c project by rama.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

GBS can take composite sync on the green RCA from memory there is a cleaner on that line.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Kaixe Rho wrote:Alright, I've posted a bunch of inane questions about the GBS-C recently, but this is hopefully much more helpful to everyone here.

The GBS-C does not take composite or S-video. The Koryuu could transcode between source -> GBS, but I believe the Koryuu does not work with it because Rama was never able to get a hold of one. I imagine this is a niche concern.
However, I was able to come in contact with the developer of the C2C-64, an excellent soon to be open source alternative to the Koryuu that is also much cheaper. I was informed that functionally, it was identical. Sure enough, after the developer shipped me a completed board, the GBSC cannot interpret its input.

I'm not sure exactly what steps there are to take next. I know Rama is focusing mainly on the XStation now, but I don't know if that means the GBS-C is finished/dead. I created a post on the issue section of the GitHub, but I thought it couldn't hurt to post about it here as well.
Not that this is much use since they are pretty unobtanium nowadays, but my CYP CMT-7 decoder works with GBS Control (Composite/Svid to RGBS/RGBHV/YPbPr). I was messing around with downscaling playback from my Laserdisc player to 240p for laughs, and the thing worked just fine with it.

------------------------------

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804139208317.html

FWIW I've seen these popping up on AliEx and eBay etc, one of these on passthrough mode may work. It looks to be a RT2X clone, but with component out instead of HDMI? Kinda odd.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803443819141.html

Seen these around too, seems to largely serve the exact same purposes but with the addition of RGB SCART out.

The Koryuu, from what I've read online, seems to have a lot of compatibility issues!
EmKIronFist

Post by EmKIronFist »

Kaixe Rho wrote:Alright, I've posted a bunch of inane questions about the GBS-C recently, but this is hopefully much more helpful to everyone here.

Yeah unfortunately compatibility with that specific device would come down to someone creating a patch for Rama to merge or someone forking GBS Control and both are just not especially likely at the moment. That said, the GBS-C works great with the Retrotink 2x Mini in passthru mode if you convert its HDMI to VGA and use a simple passive sync combiner when feeding it into the GBS-C. I've had decent success with my N64 and occasionally some composite video stuff with this and sometimes I even like to turn on the line filter, set the Retrotink back to 480p mode and use its smoothing filter for older 3D games since the smoothness really flatters polygons and old CG much more. Examples below:
Spoiler
Signal path: N64 S-video > Retrotink 2x Mini > HDMI to VGA Adapter > Sync Combiner > GBS
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

^will the gbs-c not accept rgbhv via a hdmi->vga adapter?

EmKIronFist

Post by EmKIronFist »

NoAffinity wrote:^will the gbs-c not accept rgbhv via a hdmi->vga adapter?
It will but it can get picky with 240p and 480i from game consoles via RGBHV. 480p over VGA it can handle reasonably well a lot of the time.
I've seen lots of stuff lose sync or come out a bit scrambled with every HDMI-to-VGA adapter I've tried in this sort of setup but combining the sync stabilizes things quite a bit and it's so easy to solder up the circuit in my setup that I see no reason not to.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Yeah, true vga (480p and up) works great. Anything outside of that is crap shoot. I'm just keeping a mental note of what dies and doesnt work...maybe compile a log someday. :D

AaronSR

Post by AaronSR »

I just received one of these orange versions from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Mcbazel-ODV-GBS- ... B0B4B2CM9F
I flashed it using the latest master from the GBS github although I'm not sure if it was already on said version, it went well anyway.

Have been testing it with retro access' Dsub15 cables (SNES and PS2)
https://retro-access.com/collections/rgbs-dsub-cables

It works very well however, I'm having a slight issue with regards to the SNES' jitter, I'm not sure if this is hardware or software related. Basically I started out by using the 4:3 1280X960 resolution, I started seeing an occasional tear or line traveling down the screen, its less noticeable recorded over my capture card but you can see it here (roughly 2.9 secs):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/o35pt6vc ... e.mp4/file
This seems to occur every 10-15 secs I would say, it depends if the screen is scrolling I think.

Now interestingly I noticed something thanks to the built in display on these units, and that is the SNES seems to be running at a slightly higher than usual frequency on 1280X720, 1280X960, 1920X1024, but 1920X1080 is what the SNES frequency should be:

I did the same comparison using my PS2 Dsub15 cable with a PS1 game (just incase it was the connector):

I think these units do have the clock generator installed because I think you should expect tearing with every console regardless? And PS2 definitely doesn't give me any tearing (nor my PS1 using scart).

I have messed with the frametime lock function but I get a No Signal on my capture card every 10-15 secs rather than the line (with both "vtotal only" and "vtotal + VSST" options, both have the same effect).

So at this point it seems that using 1920X1080 is the solution and doesn't give me any tears (if it does its rare / hard to notice). Was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience and if there was a solution for 1280X960 because I'm kinda skeptical using 1920X1080 and then having to rescale the image again on my display/capture card potentially losing sharpness/quality. Thanks.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Do you have the dejitter mod on your snes?