GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ulfrinn

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by ulfrinn »

maxtherabbit wrote:I still don't understand the desire to inject analog audio sources into hdmi but to each his own
Uuh, so you can actually have sound on the device you are connecting the HDMI to.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

ulfrinn wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:I still don't understand the desire to inject analog audio sources into hdmi but to each his own
Uuh, so you can actually have sound on the device you are connecting the HDMI to.
who the hell uses TV speakers?
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

No I agree with ulfrinn. Say you have a half decent AVR. Then you most likely use the HDMI ARC of your TV or hook up the HDMI source directly to the receiver.
You could use an analog connection from the GBS to the receiver but that tends to be more complicated to setup (map the analog audio input to the corresponding HDMI port the GBS is connected to). My onkyo can do this, but I don't even know if that's a standard feature.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

SuperSpongo wrote:No I agree with ulfrinn. Say you have a half decent AVR. Then you most likely use the HDMI ARC of your TV or hook up the HDMI source directly to the receiver.
You could use an analog connection from the GBS to the receiver but that tends to be more complicated to setup (map the analog audio input to the corresponding HDMI port the GBS is connected to). My onkyo can do this, but I don't even know if that's a standard feature.
So instead of using the high quality analog inputs of your AVR you would rather digitize your audio with a trash bin vga dongle because mapping inputs is hard? Interesting
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

Thank you Max. Audio is important. I make every effort to insure an uncompromised listening and viewing experience. I would never digitise analog audio unless I was recording it. Everyone on this board is obsessed with video, but there are some great sounds on these games! You can build a good audio setup for video games quite cheaply, but most people don't even try for some reason.
sajdor

Post by sajdor »

got a gbs with hdmi output
model: SG-VC9900

there is any way to add a ypbpr component input ?
maybe some adapters like component -> vga ?
intrepidbreak

Post by intrepidbreak »

I just picked up a GBS 8200 V4 to play with and did the essential mods. It performs well with most of my consoles (all the SNES/NES/N64/Playstation variants - which largely use sync-on-luma cables). I don't have a sync stripper on HSync (grey wire), since the GBS seems to be happy to accept sync straight from the sync-on-luma consoles via SCART pin20. (My consoles all work properly through my OSSC/gscartsw/PVMs, for what it's worth.)

Edit/Solved a problem: Was having issues with my PCE/TG16 consoles, consolized VB and my red Famicom that all use a straight-through 8-pin mini DIN. Added 220uF resistors in-line on the RGB lines (similar to my SNES cable) and now everything is working properly. This isn't required on my main setup, or on any of my other displays/scalers listed above. I'm considering adding a DP3T switch with caps on it, and toggle it whenever I'm using a mini-DIN. Any other solutions/insights to this (something in software?) are appreciated!

Thanks to the devs for this awesome project!
Last edited by intrepidbreak on Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

NoAffinity wrote:@RoboArmy my neo 1 slot works great with gbs8200. Clock gen add-on is highly recommended for all sources.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Oh man, so GamesCare doesn't put the clockgen board in their premade units? That's a shame, the things look real nice. I don't need one as I've already got a unit (put together thanks to NoAffinity-dawg! This thing has taken tumbles on two separate occasions in the midst of re-adjusting my A/V setup and is totes fine, a testament to NA's great work!) but I was looking at theirs / what the cost would be if one was to ship it to the USA. It seemed that only shipping within Brazil was an option, maybe my ad blocker was screwing with the site...
RoboArmy

Post by RoboArmy »

kitty666cats wrote:
NoAffinity wrote:@RoboArmy my neo 1 slot works great with gbs8200. Clock gen add-on is highly recommended for all sources.

Oh man, so GamesCare doesn't put the clockgen board in their premade units? That's a shame, the things look real nice. I don't need one as I've already got a unit (put together thanks to NoAffinity-dawg! This thing has taken tumbles on two separate occasions in the midst of re-adjusting my A/V setup and is totes fine, a testament to NA's great work!) but I was looking at theirs / what the cost would be if one was to ship it to the USA. It seemed that only shipping within Brazil was an option, maybe my ad blocker was screwing with the site...
Yeah and it's a real shame. as the work is solid and the sync stripping SCART board is a nice bonus. Since I'm not using it for any "less mainstream" systems I'm probably gonna leave it as is unless the problem I was having comes back.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

kitty666cats wrote:

Glad to hear it’s working out bud!
SCARTicus wrote:Thank you Max. Audio is important…but there are some great sounds on these games! You can build a good audio setup for video games quite cheaply, but most people don't even try for some reason.
Absolutely this! I got my Onkyo AVR in great condition for $30 at Salvation Army (HDMI and analog inputs, even offers upscaling, although it’s nothing to get too excited about). Works perfectly, tons of inputs, I even picked up a cheap middle speaker and rear speakers at a different Salvation Army ($10, I think), and a monster subwoofer at yet another thrift store, but that one a goodwill ($10 on that too, if I recall). Of course, quality cables for it all added some more coin, but I’m getting glorious 5.1 audio when the source supports it, great Dolby PLII from analog stereo sources when I so desire, or mostly just keep it in All Channel Stereo.
EmKIronFist

Post by EmKIronFist »

intrepidbreak wrote: Edit/Solved a problem: Was having issues with my PCE/TG16 consoles, consolized VB and my red Famicom that all use a straight-through 8-pin mini DIN. Added 220uF resistors in-line on the RGB lines (similar to my SNES cable) and now everything is working properly. This isn't required on my main setup, or on any of my other displays/scalers listed above. I'm considering adding a DP3T switch with caps on it, and toggle it whenever I'm using a mini-DIN. Any other solutions/insights to this (something in software?) are appreciated!
Are you saying you put the caps on the RGB lines of your SCART-to-GBS adapter? Why not just put the caps inside the SCART cables you're using for these systems instead? They stabilize the RGB signals and most schematics you see for PC Engine SCART cables will show capacitors on the RGB lines just before the 75 ohm resistors. If you put them into the cable(s) you don't even have to think about switching anything on or off, plus they'll improve compatibility (and maybe slightly improve picture quality) on other displays and devices.

sajdor wrote:got a gbs with hdmi output
model: SG-VC9900

there is any way to add a ypbpr component input ?
maybe some adapters like component -> vga ?
I mean, sure. You technically could get an adapter for this. There's component-to-VGA adapters as well as YPbPr-to-RGBs adapters, or you could even do Component-to-HDMI + HDMI-to-VGA... but any of these solutions would probably cost you more than just getting a regular GBS-8200 board and doing another GBS Control build instead.
rivlez

Post by rivlez »

Anyone know why certain connected devices will cause the gbscontrol website to freeze until they are disconnected? My PS2 connected will not allow me to access the site when it's connected but as soon as I disconnect it, it becomes accessible again.
rama

Post by rama »

The reason for the WiFi disconnects with some sources but not others, is that only particular source frequencies produce the higher harmonics that disturb the ESP8266 antenna.
Changing the source to a different timing (PAL to NTSC, or interlaced to 240p), or turning the source off will fix it.

A solid fix would somehow prevent the higher harmonics from forming or from affecting the antenna.
One thing that works is placing the ESP8266 in some different location where it (again somehow) works better.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Would attaching a larger antenna help? I have seen some mods for the 8266 where they cut the traces of the onboard antenna and attach some long wires, or an antenna socket.
rivlez

Post by rivlez »

rama wrote:The reason for the WiFi disconnects with some sources but not others, is that only particular source frequencies produce the higher harmonics that disturb the ESP8266 antenna.
Changing the source to a different timing (PAL to NTSC, or interlaced to 240p), or turning the source off will fix it.

A solid fix would somehow prevent the higher harmonics from forming or from affecting the antenna.
One thing that works is placing the ESP8266 in some different location where it (again somehow) works better.
Damn I just had a buddy do a smaller case for me. I’m going to have him print me a bigger case and I’ll move it away. That’s the only thing I’m not liking. Other than that, this CFW is great. Thanks for everything Rama!
intrepidbreak

Post by intrepidbreak »

I decided to have a little fun with my install and go with a bare ESP8266.

Here's how I did it :)
https://imgur.com/a/yh9jloe

(Note the debug pin runs through the hole to the MYSON chip.)

I'm running my board off a 5V 2A power supply, and this is mounted on the underside of the board. Not optimal for reprogramming, but I'm sure there's an easy way to wire it up if needed.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Kez wrote:Would attaching a larger antenna help? I have seen some mods for the 8266 where they cut the traces of the onboard antenna and attach some long wires, or an antenna socket.
I've played around with extending the antenna and different locations of the esp, and have yet to find a 100% foolproof solution. My one gbs with a header pin bent in the shape of an L and soldered to the onboard antenna, with the esp on top of the heat sink, works the best. It mostly stays connected, and doesn't disconnect completely. I still get the red light of doom intermittently, but again it never disconnects completely.

A similar setup but with esp on teh bottom of the gbs, barely works. I have to flip it upside down so the esp is facing upward, and it works okay at that.
insectmeyep

Post by insectmeyep »

I have a big problem.

I was using gbs for downscaling xbox360 conponent 720p and 1080p to sega Naomi monitor at 640 x 480 and worked fine.

After installing gbscontril firmware im locked to passthrough settings and i cannot chiose any other resolution output...and of course not works for my monitor. Instead with PS2 conponent no problem at all, i can choose any resolution output.

I have tried with and without clock generator board and i have the same problem. Please tell me how i can fix?
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Hey @intrepidbreak, I like that "mini" installation! Very cool.

Also, I agree, figuring out a reliable way to connect an external antenna would be nice.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

The ESP will not be very stable if removed from its board from my experience.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I just use the ESP board itself as the remote antenna. I have the i2c, power and debug lines all on about 8" of wire (bundled in a harness) and keep the ESP board away from the GBS. Never even had a single wifi dropout
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

Any other IoT boards possible, that would have better antena or 5ghz wifi ?
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

Anyone downsampling 480p from an xbox 360? I can't get a stable display on my Wells Gardner k7000 arcade monitor. My MiSTer works perfectly at 240p with this monitor.

The only option I've selected is the 15khz downscale.

Here's a pic of the rolling screen:

https://imgur.com/a/y1sNQd3
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

rama wrote:If someone has one of these Koryuu S-Video to Component converters, could you test gbscontrol with it?
I have a report that there is some sync problem, but there's not much I can do with that info alone.
Component is pretty well specified, so I believe it should just work :/
Assembled a GBS-Control setup using the GBS-8200 today and can confirm that when using the Koryuu the image will constantly pop in and out with the image freezing in the times it does appear. The light on the Node MCU board was constantly blinking, likely due to it constantly locking and losing sync. I have not installed the SI5351 mod or any other mods yet, nor will I likely have much time for such for another week or so.

I tested the component DVD portion of my LaserDisc player with it and it worked just fine. Enabled the line filter, stuck to 1280x960 output, used the vertical mask to hide some video artifacts, and inverted the sync so I would have to fiddle with my scanline generator less, and all of it worked. Beavis and Butthead never looked so good.

Weirdly enough the Koryuu works fine with the GBS-8200 by default. We've been smashing some Gals Panic SS all weekend without a problem.

Additional details: I tested my Saturn with the GBS-8200 via composite video and via my S-VHS capable VCR by using composite in and S-Video out. Both of these work well with the Koryuu and normal GBS-8200.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

jdubs wrote:Anyone downsampling 480p from an xbox 360? I can't get a stable display on my Wells Gardner k7000 arcade monitor. My MiSTer works perfectly at 240p with this monitor.

GBS-Control doesn't like RGBHV for downscaling, you either need to combine the H and V sync or use a component cable.
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Gunstar wrote:
jdubs wrote:Anyone downsampling 480p from an xbox 360? I can't get a stable display on my Wells Gardner k7000 arcade monitor. My MiSTer works perfectly at 240p with this monitor.

GBS-Control doesn't like RGBHV for downscaling, you either need to combine the H and V sync or use a component cable.
In that regards i was coming here to ask how a nintendo switch would work. I didn't receive the gbs board yet but i want to use it to downscale some stuff for my bvm 20f1e. I own a saturn and i want to use the gbs to downscale some 480i to 240p, and also adjust the image because the saturn is not well center compare to my mister.

I am also interested by buying a switch, because i discover recently that this is (the only ?) way to play retro-modern games in real 4:3 and 480p that can be downscale to 240p with the gbs. The pc port of these games are limited to 16:9 and often specific resolution, when on the switch they scale to the 4:3 480p mode.

So i was asking myself what the switch is outputting into it's hdmi port. In mister you have an option to output csync instead of HV in direct video mode, and in my japanese saturn csync is native in the pin 1. So if i connect an hdmi to vga dac to the switch, what will be the output, RGBs or RGBHV ?
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

atohmdiy wrote:
Gunstar wrote:

In that regards i was coming here to ask how a nintendo switch would work. I didn't receive the gbs board yet but i want to use it to downscale some stuff for my bvm 20f1e. I own a saturn and i want to use the gbs to downscale some 480i to 240p, and also adjust the image because the saturn is not well center compare to my mister.

I am also interested by buying a switch, because i discover recently that this is (the only ?) way to play retro-modern games in real 4:3 and 480p that can be downscale to 240p with the gbs. The pc port of these games are limited to 16:9 and often specific resolution, when on the switch they scale to the 4:3 480p mode.

So i was asking myself what the switch is outputting into it's hdmi port. In mister you have an option to output csync instead of HV in direct video mode, and in my japanese saturn csync is native in the pin 1. So if i connect an hdmi to vga dac to the switch, what will be the output, RGBs or RGBHV ?
I'd say most small/cheap HDMI to VGA DACs would likely be RGBHV, I've not come across any personally that put out combined sync but that's not to say one doesn't exist. Maybe someone here knows of one?

If you're not looking to solder up a sync solution then maybe a HDMI to Component would do or track down an Extron unit which would put out a sync that the GBS can work with.
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Gunstar wrote:
I'd say most small/cheap HDMI to VGA DACs would likely be RGBHV, I've not come across any personally that put out combined sync but that's not to say one doesn't exist. Maybe someone here knows of one?

If you're not looking to solder up a sync solution then maybe a HDMI to Component would do or track down an Extron unit which would put out a sync that the GBS can work with.
Well i didn't bought a cheap dac, i needed one with toslink out and the only one i found was this :
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-J ... =8-90&th=1

I think i will email this J-Tech company, at least to know how it works, but as you said it's 90% sure it's HV.

I guess the csync or hv come from the console side, the dac just follow the input, mister have an option to activate csync and it works fine with most dac so i guess it could be done in the console software level (switch or anything)...

I look for the extron rgb on ebay and a few seems to work but frankly most are in bad state and it's far from being cheap (80€ minimum including the shipping), and it's a little overkill just to do this. I will try to build the solution you linked with a cheap vga cable.

Also as i still don't receive the gbs yet, i have a question. How this sync thing is handle ? I mean the device is suppose to accept both RGBs and RGBHV, so is it only with 240p downscaling that it is not working fine ? It's a little a hidden defect because in the gbs-control github it clearly say it is compatible : "Sources can be connected via RGB/HV (VGA), RGBS (game consoles, SCART) or Component Video (YUV). Various variations are supported, such as the PlayStation 2's VGA modes that run over Component cables."
I see there is an option to choose between rgbhv and yuv in the gbs menu, but how to choose between csync and hv in the vga out ? I guess it will follow what the source is doing ?
immaburr

Post by immaburr »

flynnsbit wrote:
So basically have this made: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/KoSLIBGc
Then buy the Wemos D1 and a 44pin socket. And then a 44 pin socket that snaps onto the chip on the GBS 8200. If you remove the little "stubby's" from the underside of the socket it does help with snapping on the socket to the chip on the GBS. FYI. You can see the little stubs in the picture.

44 pin socket can be purchased from here https://www.newark.com/amphenol-icc-fci ... dp/54M6665
or Mouser.

Again, I don't see the benefits over soldering. The socket holding onto the top of the chip is a concern. I had to add hot glue to the socket to hold it.
@flynnsbit I'm trying to do this setup too and had some questions. Does the Arduino board draw power from the oshpark board/connectors/etc. or does t his need to be wired on?
Last edited by immaburr on Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fwannmacher

Post by fwannmacher »

so... i've done every mod described in this thread for the v4 board. replaced C11. removed potentiometers. added capacitor in parallel to C48, C43, C42 and C23. and, finally, added the clock generator.

The setup is the following:
SNES with HD Retrovision component cable -> GBS -> Foinnex VGA to HDMI adapter -> LG 55SK8100PLA.

then my issue: from time to times the image flickers. any ideas?