shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:29 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147
 Post subject: Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:20 am 

I find the Tink5X and the GBS-Cs deinterlacing very similiar. Im not sure if the GBS-Cs deinterlacing adds lag or not, but the 5X definitely does not. Both can also replicate CRT 480i look very well with GBS-C's "Bob+scanlines" and 5X's "CRT Simulate".

If you are feeding an analog / CRT monitor, the GBS-C is the way to go for 99% of what you need-- but if you want some GunCon 2 action on a 31KHz or higher CRT or if you are feeding a digital panel, 5X all the way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:28 pm 

Hi,

I just got all bits and pieces to do the GBS8200 and installed all components and flashed gbscontrol.

Removed the pots and bridged the correct points, removed C11, added the 4 caps, installed the clock gen and esp.

I'm using a vga to hdmi adapter for output and a sync strike for rgb scart input.

All seems to be working properly. Can connect and change resolution and alter screen position etc and get the message about having the clock installed. So all good.

I only have a few questions if I may

I am using a 5v 3amp power supply. Will that be enough to run the board,clock,esp and also power the vga2hdmi adapter if I run a cable from the power pins? (P8 If I recall)

I was also thinking of running a cable to my sync strike too, I know most scarts would power this, but If I have one that does not I wanted to utilise the board power for this.

I see the gbs can use upto 12v but I guessing this would blow the clock,esp and vga2hdmi?

If I use sync strike do I also need to use the 100ohm resistor mod too, if so what watt do I need. I have some 1/4w 100ohm film resistors but i guess they are underpowered and would fail

how often is the gbscontrol github updated should I reflash the software every so often?

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:37 am 

Puppydogpals wrote:
Hi,

I just got all bits and pieces to do the GBS8200 and installed all components and flashed gbscontrol.

Removed the pots and bridged the correct points, removed C11, added the 4 caps, installed the clock gen and esp.

I'm using a vga to hdmi adapter for output and a sync strike for rgb scart input.

All seems to be working properly. Can connect and change resolution and alter screen position etc and get the message about having the clock installed. So all good.

I only have a few questions if I may

I am using a 5v 3amp power supply. Will that be enough to run the board,clock,esp and also power the vga2hdmi adapter if I run a cable from the power pins? (P8 If I recall)

I was also thinking of running a cable to my sync strike too, I know most scarts would power this, but If I have one that does not I wanted to utilise the board power for this.

I see the gbs can use upto 12v but I guessing this would blow the clock,esp and vga2hdmi?

If I use sync strike do I also need to use the 100ohm resistor mod too, if so what watt do I need. I have some 1/4w 100ohm film resistors but i guess they are underpowered and would fail

how often is the gbscontrol github updated should I reflash the software every so often?

Thanks

5v at 3A should be plenty for all of that, and I can verify that it will work with the exception of the vga2hdmi converter. I do not know what voltage the converter expects, but if it is a 5v device, then you will be good. I blew my ESP when I tried to power everything with 9v. You should still do the 100Ohm resistor. On which input are you using the SyncStrike? I would not run a separate power supply to the SyncStrike. When I tried that in this configuration, I got weird power bleed issues. Sync Strike works great with power from the SCART line, and all of the consoles that I have tried work great that way. Which consoles are you using with your GBS-C?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:43 am 

The firmware should pretty much be considered final. It hasn't been updated in quite a while and rama has expressed that he has moved on to other things (and more power, and best wishes, to him).

The gbs with all inherent goodies will run fine off of 5v 1a. Figure out what the max draw for any additional devices is/are, like the vga to hdmi , add those to the 1a, and you will know if 3a is good enough, but I would echo @SCARTicus, and 3a should be more than enough.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:52 pm 

Hi there

Hoping someone with more experience in this project might be able to offer some suggestions for what I'm trying to do with a GBS 8220. My understanding is the GBS 8220 can handle SOG/Sync on green inputs, but from digging possibly only on the composite inputs, but I imagine some passive components could be added to get SOG to work on the VGA hd15 connector ?

I want to use the GBS 8220 as a converter, to pickup the 13W3 /SOG signal from an older Silicon Graphics / SGI machine I have, and send the signal through the GBS, and on out the HD15/VGA output to any ole vga screen that supports the resolution.

I am using an adapter to go from 13W3 to VGA off the back of the SGI, and sending it into the GBS 8220. The signal from most SGI have the h/v signals on the green color signal channel, and I am finding most modern monitors don't support this anymore. I thought that using the GBS 8220 would be a neat solution to get this working on any screen removing the dependency of finding a SOG one..

Any advice or insight going down this road before I get started?

thanks,
Jonathan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:36 pm 

Hi, I just put one of these boards together according to voultar's video, and the only issue I'm having is that I can't connect to the web ui when I have video plugged in. With only power plugged in the web ui loads fine using gbscontrol.local, but as soon as I get video running through the board the web ui is unreachable. I'm getting a picture(looks significantly better than stock) and I checked continuity everywhere, all seems good. p8 jumper is bridged, as I THINK it should be(?).

Also, gbs control only seems to load when the blue "COM" light on the wifi module is OFF, and that light never goes off when input or output signals are connected. Not sure how the video signals being connected would change anything but I'm certainly no expert. Swapped d1 and d2 on the wifi module as well just to see what happened, and I lost picture so I swapped those back. I also put a 22uf cap on c11 instead of just leaving it open, as I saw somewhere I can't remember.

NodeMcu V3 LUA WeMos wifi module
Adafruit Si5351A Clock Generator
5v 2amp psu
^the particular stuff I used, incase any of that stuff is wrong/won't work for this

if the problem ends up being that the board needs to be reflashed, what connections do I need to disconnect from the gbs in order to flash the wifi module again? Can I get away with just power/data/debug or do I need to disconnect the wifi module entirely to flash?

Sorry if someone has asked/answered this before, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:58 am 

jc179 wrote:
Hi there

Hoping someone with more experience in this project might be able to offer some suggestions for what I'm trying to do with a GBS 8220. My understanding is the GBS 8220 can handle SOG/Sync on green inputs, but from digging possibly only on the composite inputs, but I imagine some passive components could be added to get SOG to work on the VGA hd15 connector ?

I want to use the GBS 8220 as a converter, to pickup the 13W3 /SOG signal from an older Silicon Graphics / SGI machine I have, and send the signal through the GBS, and on out the HD15/VGA output to any ole vga screen that supports the resolution.

I am using an adapter to go from 13W3 to VGA off the back of the SGI, and sending it into the GBS 8220. The signal from most SGI have the h/v signals on the green color signal channel, and I am finding most modern monitors don't support this anymore. I thought that using the GBS 8220 would be a neat solution to get this working on any screen removing the dependency of finding a SOG one..

Any advice or insight going down this road before I get started?

thanks,
Jonathan
Component only on the rca inputs, and rgbs or rgbhv on the hd-15, 5 pin or 8 pin input. (Rgbs only on the 5 pin)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147