GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
psxed

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by psxed »

Well i just build mine but now i feel like a total idiot because i have no idea what type of female scart to vga adapter i should use. I have no idea how to search this thread and i've been Googling for almost an hour.. :/ Can anyone point me to a female scart to male vga to i can hook my ps1 to this awesome project?
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

Gunstar wrote:
jdubs wrote:Anyone downsampling 480p from an xbox 360? I can't get a stable display on my Wells Gardner k7000 arcade monitor. My MiSTer works perfectly at 240p with this monitor.

The only option I've selected is the 15khz downscale.

Here's a pic of the rolling screen:

https://imgur.com/a/y1sNQd3
GBS-Control doesn't like RGBHV for downscaling, you either need to combine the H and V sync or use a component cable.
Awesome - thanks gunstar. Buying a component cable now.

-Jim
EmKIronFist

Post by EmKIronFist »

atohmdiy wrote: I am also interested by buying a switch, because i discover recently that this is (the only ?) way to play retro-modern games in real 4:3 and 480p that can be downscale to 240p with the gbs. The pc port of these games are limited to 16:9 and often specific resolution, when on the switch they scale to the 4:3 480p mode.

So i was asking myself what the switch is outputting into it's hdmi port. In mister you have an option to output csync instead of HV in direct video mode, and in my japanese saturn csync is native in the pin 1. So if i connect an hdmi to vga dac to the switch, what will be the output, RGBs or RGBHV ?
I recommend using an HDMI-to-Component converter instead, I've gotten great results on Switch games as well as PC games this way. (For PC games I use 640x480)

Examples running on my 8" PVM:
Spoiler
fwannmacher

Post by fwannmacher »

fwannmacher wrote:so... i've done every mod described in this thread for the v4 board. replaced C11. removed potentiometers. added capacitor in parallel to C48, C43, C42 and C23. and, finally, added the clock generator.

The setup is the following:
SNES with HD Retrovision component cable -> GBS -> Foinnex VGA to HDMI adapter -> LG 55SK8100PLA.

then my issue: from time to times the image flickers. any ideas?
i got a second board and it doesn't have the issue... maybe the first one was defective ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
atohmdiy

Post by atohmdiy »

Hello,
An update of my little hacks. I was pretty sure the dac i bought wasn't csync, it's logical as the vga standard is HV. But i got this answer from their support team :
Hello Marc,

I'm apologize for getting this info so late to you, but I heard back from the product team and they said that this converter utilizes a composite sync signal. So it should work for the setup you are describing.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions
So it seems i found one of the few that output csync natively. If it's true there's not much to do, i will just connect it to my extron matrix vga and enjoy.

As i wasn't sure of this csync thing, i was planing to buy this :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/DB15-Male-D-SUB ... 1438.l2649

This make the integration of the passive combiner circuit so easy. Funny thing, i have some spare parts from other project, so i look for the parts to build the combiner circuit. When i open the bag with my stuff i found one bag with two transistor, i said to myself "impossible to find the right one on these, there is thousand of different transistor", but to be sure i open the bag and when i read the reference "2N3904". Damn, i felt so lucky :shock:

What will be less funny is the sega saturn, i will have to build a cable with min-din 10 in one side and vga on the other, never found anything like this on the net and it's boring to do. I have one of these min-din connector but hell it's a pain to work with.

@ jdubs thank you for the tip, indeed it was probably a better idea, but the dac is on his way already. Anyway, nice setup ! Can't wait to play some nice modern-retro on my bvm !

For the pc, well there is not much game that are compatible with 4:3 now, but i suppose that nintendo force the developers to have a real 480p 4:3 mode on the switch. I tried the same game in pc, lock to 16:9, but in yumu the 4:3 was perfect. Pc seems great only for groovy mame with crt emudriver and atohmbios, and eventually some emulator. I want to play to the rebirth serie on the wii, with dolphin there is a 4:3 480p and you can send directly the emulator windows to another screen, every emulator should work that way :roll:
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

atohmdiy wrote:Hello,
An update of my little hacks. I was pretty sure the dac i bought wasn't csync, it's logical as the vga standard is HV. But i got this answer from their support team :
Hello Marc,

I'm apologize for getting this info so late to you, but I heard back from the product team and they said that this converter utilizes a composite sync signal. So it should work for the setup you are describing.

So it seems i found one of the few that output csync natively. If it's true there's not much to do, i will just connect it to my extron matrix vga and enjoy.
Interesting, keep us posted on whether it does infact do csync.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

atohmdiy wrote:Hello,
Hello Marc,

Tried this out to confirm yet? Would be very convenient, but also a tad odd of them deciding to make it RGBS over RGBHV
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... converter/

SyncSlayer dude is selling some premade units in a nice case!

Unfortunately still nobody selling a premade unit with the clockgen installed, for some reason nobody's taken that extra step, but still nice to see people making 'em for those interested who may be unable to do it themselves.
rama

Post by rama »

psxed wrote:Can anyone point me to a female scart to male vga to i can hook my ps1 to this awesome project?
If you can't find anything, you can always build an adapter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zweireihiger-S ... 2665362561
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

rama wrote:
psxed wrote:Can anyone point me to a female scart to male vga to i can hook my ps1 to this awesome project?
If you can't find anything, you can always build an adapter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zweireihiger-S ... 2665362561
This is a nice way to connect, as a bonus you can even use non-csync cables with the sync stripper that switches on and off

https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/scart2dvi/
https://www.cmple.com/dvi-a-male-to-vga ... apter-gold

(plus generic micro USB power supply and 3.5mm aux audio cable)
jdubs

Post by jdubs »

Gunstar wrote:
jdubs wrote:Anyone downsampling 480p from an xbox 360? I can't get a stable display on my Wells Gardner k7000 arcade monitor. My MiSTer works perfectly at 240p with this monitor.

GBS-Control doesn't like RGBHV for downscaling, you either need to combine the H and V sync or use a component cable.
Gunstar, got the component cable and also tried my extron (to combine sync). BOTH give me a GREAT picture....but the picture still rolls....so a sync issue I guess?

I tried a 100ohm resistor on the sync to ground pins but that didn't do anything.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!!
Jim
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

jdubs wrote:
Gunstar wrote:

Gunstar, got the component cable and also tried my extron (to combine sync). BOTH give me a GREAT picture....but the picture still rolls....so a sync issue I guess?

I tried a 100ohm resistor on the sync to ground pins but that didn't do anything.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!!
Jim
That's dissapointing to hear. I guess this means it's either the monitor or the GBS. I'm not familliar with arcade monitors, does it require RGBS or is it fine with RGBHV output? Sometimes it looks like the downscale option is activated in the WebGUI when it's not, worth trying to toggle it on/off to see if it helps. Do you get a stable picture with a 240p source and passthrough enabled in the WebGUI?
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

kitty666cats wrote:https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... converter/

Unfortunately still nobody selling a premade unit with the clockgen installed, for some reason nobody's taken that extra step, but still nice to see people making 'em for those interested who may be unable to do it themselves.
I like that case. Yeah, shame about the lack of clock-gen mod. No 100ohm resistor on GND/Sync?
intrepidbreak

Post by intrepidbreak »

I decided to pick up a second unit and noticed there's some difference.

The new unit I received is a "GBS8200 V4.0 20091204", and it has a 1K (102) resistor on R34. I haven't done any mods on this board, other than add a mini install ESP8266 but it seems to work well.

My original unit was a GBS8200 V4.0 20191018 and it had a 2.2K (222) resistor on R34. I went ahead and replaced R34 on this board with a 75 Ohm 0603 (85X) per the wiki.

edit: despite the difference, the 100Ohm to ground works across both boards for sync.

@fwannmacher my "20191018" board had the same occasional flicker, but stopped after doing the recommended mods and by going in through the VGA connector.
Last edited by intrepidbreak on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabidgerry

Post by rabidgerry »

Anyone using their GBS with an Amiga?

Is it true to say by using the GBS Control I am getting lagless results? Or close to it?

I have tried my GBS+GBS control with my 32" TV and got good results but always vertical bars. Some blame the Amiga itself and others say it's the GBS. Something about pixel clock being miniscule amounts out of sync.

Also I tried my GBS with an LCD computer monitor and it was quite a bit worse all around in picture on that than the TV. Seemed like I was getting quite a bit of noise that I wasn't getting with the tv. And the banding was there just less noticeable as the screen was a lot smaller.

Anyone any experience with it and the Amiga? Seems like on Amiga forums no one give crap about it anymore which is a shame. Every time I ask questions about it I get a few answers and then radio silence after about 4 posts so I figured I'd try here.
rama

Post by rama »

If you have the ability to mod your sources, then any 220uF RGB caps should go into the console / closest to the source.

The termination resistance is correct at 75 Ohm for TV level sources like consoles.
Just remember that you should not run TTL sync sources (like PC VGA) with such termination.
Romain

Post by Romain »

Hello.
I juste have a problem with my Pal snes.
In 60hz mode, it works with 1080p preset and 720p too.
But in 50hz the picture size is good in 720p but not in 1080p, the picture is too wide.
And in the setting, i can't resize the picture to be less wide.

I will put picture soon.
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

Gunstar wrote:

I like that case. Yeah, shame about the lack of clock-gen mod. No 100ohm resistor on GND/Sync?
SyncSlayer dude here.... I am going to start offering these with the clockgen installed (as an option) and the 100ohm resistor next week (waiting on more board units via DHL).

Trying to keep the price reasonable as all I'm doing is assembling other peoples findings; but want anyone without the skills to be able to own one of these amazing units. (currently $65 USD with the 8200 + MCU + acrylic and a PSU); may have to add a few dollars for the clockgen, to bump to $75.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

8bitgasm wrote:
SyncSlayer dude here.... I am going to start offering these with the clockgen installed (as an option) and the 100ohm resistor next week (waiting on more board units via DHL).

Trying to keep the price reasonable as all I'm doing is assembling other peoples findings; but want anyone without the skills to be able to own one of these amazing units. (currently $65 USD with the 8200 + MCU + acrylic and a PSU); may have to add a few dollars for the clockgen, to bump to $75.
That's great news. Do these have any of the various capacitor mods recommended on the wiki done to them?
strayan

Post by strayan »

8bitgasm wrote:SyncSlayer dude here.... I am going to start offering these with the clockgen installed (as an option) and the 100ohm resistor next week (waiting on more board units via DHL).
Do the ‘yellow button’ boards still have the noise problem which requires an electrolytic cap? https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-contro ... 0-Variants
leonk

Post by leonk »

Very happy with my unit. Without reading every page of this thread, what options are available to me for case?
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

8bitgasm wrote:SyncSlayer dude here.... I am going to start offering these with the clockgen installed (as an option) and the 100ohm resistor next week (waiting on more board units via DHL).

Would you consider selling the case "kit" as well?: Acrylic, screws, feet...pretty much everything people would need. I know a bunch of people who'd enjoy making their own, but also want a small, compact case.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

8bitgasm wrote:
Gunstar wrote:

Good stuff, my man! I found a perfectly sized enclosure at my local DIY electronics store, very hyped about it.

Unrelated - have you put any thought into foraying further into your Sync Baby project & perhaps trying it out on other consoles? Coulda sworn I saw a PS1 variant ages ago :O
Chipnetics

Post by Chipnetics »

I got a few more boards in locally for anyone interested buying from Tindie.
retrorgb wrote: Would you consider selling the case "kit" as well?: Acrylic, screws, feet...pretty much everything people would need. I know a bunch of people who'd enjoy making their own, but also want a small, compact case.
I'll make another listing on Tindie hopefully in couple days, for just the case (have to take new photos). Looks like you can't do any price-deduction options on a Tindie listing, so will have to make a separate one.
kitty666cats wrote: Good stuff, my man! I found a perfectly sized enclosure at my local DIY electronics store, very hyped about it.

Unrelated - have you put any thought into foraying further into your Sync Baby project & perhaps trying it out on other consoles? Coulda sworn I saw a PS1 variant ages ago :O
I'm hoping to make more SyncBaby stuff in a few weeks time, the waitlist seems to keep growing. I did hack the design into a PS1, good memory. With the PS1 HDMI option coming out soon though I don't think the market will be too big for DSUB/RGB output on the PS1 anymore.
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

This outputs YUV (YPbPr) Component at 480i right?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

8bitgasm wrote:I got a few more boards in locally for anyone interested buying from Tindie.
retrorgb wrote: Would you consider selling the case "kit" as well?: Acrylic, screws, feet...pretty much everything people would need. I know a bunch of people who'd enjoy making their own, but also want a small, compact case.
I'll make another listing on Tindie hopefully in couple days, for just the case (have to take new photos). Looks like you can't do any price-deduction options on a Tindie listing, so will have to make a separate one.
kitty666cats wrote: Good stuff, my man! I found a perfectly sized enclosure at my local DIY electronics store, very hyped about it.

I'm hoping to make more SyncBaby stuff in a few weeks time, the waitlist seems to keep growing. I did hack the design into a PS1, good memory. With the PS1 HDMI option coming out soon though I don't think the market will be too big for DSUB/RGB output on the PS1 anymore.
A Sega Saturn SyncBaby would be SO cool! ;)
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Update on the GBSCAIO
SCARTicus

Post by SCARTicus »

I just dug out my old GBS-Control hardware and updated it with the NodeMCU (I had it set up with an Arduino Uno). I am trying to use this as a pure transcoder from RGBs to YPbPr, but my screen on my CRT TV is jumping and the colors are not right. I have it set to Source Pass-through and component output, and to not prefer to scale RGB sources. I am using a SNES over RGB SCART through a SyncStrike into the VGA input on the GBS8200. I am outputting to a VGA to 5BNC breakout dongle with the red, green, and blue lines connected to the like-colored component video inputs on my TV. I have tried connecting just the 'Y' line to each of the colored breakouts, and they each give me a jumpy black and white image. Shouldn't only one of the lines do that? I do not know what I am doing wrong. Is there a way to force these settings without using the WebGUI? All I want is transcoder functionality. My MCU is connected to by board's SDL and SDA lines, as well as the ground line next to them. The two boards are being powered separately. I was able to get a stable image on Earthworm Jim SE, but it was still very purple and frequently dropped out. I appreciate any help
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

SCARTicus wrote:I just dug out my old GBS-Control hardware and updated it with the NodeMCU (I had it set up with an Arduino Uno). I am trying to use this as a pure transcoder from RGBs to YPbPr, but my screen on my CRT TV is jumping and the colors are not right. I have it set to Source Pass-through and component output, and to not prefer to scale RGB sources. I am using a SNES over RGB SCART through a SyncStrike into the VGA input on the GBS8200. I am outputting to a VGA to 5BNC breakout dongle with the red, green, and blue lines connected to the like-colored component video inputs on my TV. I have tried connecting just the 'Y' line to each of the colored breakouts, and they each give me a jumpy black and white image. Shouldn't only one of the lines do that? I do not know what I am doing wrong. Is there a way to force these settings without using the WebGUI? All I want is transcoder functionality. My MCU is connected to by board's SDL and SDA lines, as well as the ground line next to them. The two boards are being powered separately. I was able to get a stable image on Earthworm Jim SE, but it was still very purple and frequently dropped out. I appreciate any help
I think the only way I got a stable YPbPr transcoded picture (source: RGB modded N64) was with the downscale option turned on. Didn't look like it was messing with resolution but I didn't test it very thoroughly.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

GBS might detect Vsync which makes it less reliable.
Is there a way to only use Csync on the Syncstrike