GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
retromaniak

Re: GBS 8200/8220 CFW Project

Post by retromaniak »

TomDD wrote:
retromaniak wrote:TomDD - Maybe if you had some time you be able to create a 3D housing model based on this project? I'm asking because at least in my opinion this is one of the most beautiful enclosures I found on the internet, and unfortunately the person responsible for the project has never shared 3D model.
https://imgur.com/r/crtgaming/ue7pV
I'll take a look but I'm pretty happy with my current box so won't promise anything.
I'm not saying that your current box is ugly or non-functional. I just thought that if possible, instead of the not very popular DIN connector, you could use a much more popular (at least in Europe) SCART connector or professional BNC connectors. I just thought you could redesign it a bit. Of course, if you only would like to do it.
TomDD

Post by TomDD »

retromaniak wrote:
TomDD wrote:
retromaniak wrote:TomDD - Maybe if you had some time you be able to create a 3D housing model based on this project? I'm asking because at least in my opinion this is one of the most beautiful enclosures I found on the internet, and unfortunately the person responsible for the project has never shared 3D model.
https://imgur.com/r/crtgaming/ue7pV
I'll take a look but I'm pretty happy with my current box so won't promise anything.
I'm not saying that your current box is ugly or non-functional. I just thought that if possible, instead of the not very popular DIN connector, you could use a much more popular (at least in Europe) SCART connector or professional BNC connectors. I just thought you could redesign it a bit. Of course, if you only would like to do it.
Don't worry I wasn't offended :-) I just said that as it is a lot of work to design and get the box to fit right from scratch, soo much easy to mod one that is already done. Also my design already has SCART input and I use it for 90% of my connections. My initial design just fed in the SCART cable, I did then think of mounting a SCART socket directly onto the box but they are just too large really and would require the box being even wider or taller.

A compromise was using the 6pin DIN as a detachable input socket. A lot of retro computers use it as standard and you can easily still buy the sockets and cables cheap. I created a SCART to 6pin DIN connector which works great but you could easily just bypass the 6pin DIN and use the hole to feed in a SCART cable. Granted the hole is probably a little too large but I can make it smaller easily enough.
rama

Post by rama »

How are the new 1080p presets looking?
TomDD

Post by TomDD »

rama wrote:How are the new 1080p presets looking?
Not tried yet as been away for Easter, will give it a go today and report back
rama

Post by rama »

Cheers :)
Don't expect a fix to the cut off video, but maybe the centering works better.
Nuck-TH

Post by Nuck-TH »

rama wrote:Cheers :)
It is better(but still streched), however on square resolutions(640x480 ... 1280x1024) aspect ratio is now incorrect(squished horizontally) :(
When trying to fix it artifacts appear(horizontal line noise)...
TomDD

Post by TomDD »

rama wrote:Cheers :)
Have tested and they work fine. Didn't notice the centering was better as it was ok before and, as you said, the cut off is still there on the QL
rama

Post by rama »

Ok.
Overall, 1080p presets look better on the oscilloscope now.
It'll affect sinks that don't reposition or scale inputs well (or at all, like some TVs).

I'll go for the overscan option then. Means extra maintenance but what can I do :p
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

So, I updated again, and I'm still getting the same issue.

This just repeats over and over, and I get no display, until I load a preset, then it works normally.
TomDD

Post by TomDD »

rama wrote:Ok.
Overall, 1080p presets look better on the oscilloscope now.
It'll affect sinks that don't reposition or scale inputs well (or at all, like some TVs).

I'll go for the overscan option then. Means extra maintenance but what can I do :p
Appreciate the extra work needed to get this working for the QL with overscan, hopefully not too much extra maintenance once it's set-up. Also let me know if you need anything testing as I've got it all set-up so can upload a new gbs-control or enter new commands easy enough.
rama

Post by rama »

AndehX:
I suspect you've got a wiring / contact / interference issue.
Your board sees (or gbscontrol reports at least) an active VSync signal on the RGBS/HV input.

I can't imagine how that happens when you otherwise get it working with a manual preset load though.
Is there a cable connected to the VS pin? Either via an DIN15 adapter or via the pin header is possible.
Also, did you do any mods and have you checked them? (Ie: bridged HS with VS by chance?)
Look for things like these, maybe add a few pictures of your wiring and mod work.

TomDD:
I want to support your use case as well.
There are a few other sources that make full use of the NTSC / PAL bandwith, the Wii system menu is an example.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

rama wrote:AndehX:
I suspect you've got a wiring / contact / interference issue.
Your board sees (or gbscontrol reports at least) an active VSync signal on the RGBS/HV input.

I can't imagine how that happens when you otherwise get it working with a manual preset load though.
Is there a cable connected to the VS pin? Either via an DIN15 adapter or via the pin header is possible.
Also, did you do any mods and have you checked them? (Ie: bridged HS with VS by chance?)
Look for things like these, maybe add a few pictures of your wiring and mod work.
Absolutely nothing has changed, I've not touched anything lol. It's sat inside the case. I guess I could try reseating the PLCC adapter board, but i can't see why anything would be different since it's hot glued down...
TomDD

Post by TomDD »

rama wrote:AndehX:

TomDD:
I want to support your use case as well.
There are a few other sources that make full use of the NTSC / PAL bandwith, the Wii system menu is an example.
Many thanks :-)
rama

Post by rama »

AndehX:
Sometimes these self built things come apart. Best to just open it and check :p
You'll want to find out how it's possible that the VSync input pin sees a signal.
It can't be cable noise or such. The input pins are terminated and the high level is ~2V.

It's always possible that I messed up my code, maybe haven't considered something, so a picture of the input area would be nice.
Just so I can get an idea of your setup again.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

well here's a pic of my setup. Like I say, nothing has changed since I updated, so I wouldn't know what to check really...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7ypjciwqsyxt ... 1.jpg?dl=0
rama

Post by rama »

Do you have a multimeter around?
Can you check that the "VS" pin on the input side pin header isn't connected to anything else?
To explain a bit more, the code actively reads the VSync input pin and looks for a discernable VSync pulse.
It's kind of impossible (:p) to get a positive result if there isn't some pulses there, so I have to assume that something feeds into your VS input.

Just a tip:
Right now you just have the power wire (feeding the "5V" pin on the Wemos, I assume).
This is too little grounding and there'll be noise on all the signals the ESP8266 sees and produces.
Use the power supply header ground as well. You can't have enough grounding when mating 2 devices.

Edit:
I just noticed you screwed down the GBS PCB. The area for that one screw by the input terminals is where CS/HS and VS are routed.
Maybe the screw damaged the area?
Also, when screwing down this PCB, there mustn't be any force on the screws.
I noticed that the PCB tends to bend when using those screw holes, and that can lead to all kinds of issues.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Just checked the vsync pin, nothing connected to it. Not shorted to anything. Also, I have the Wemos board grounded to 3 different points via the PLCC adapter.

Yeah, just tried unscrewing the board and running it and it was the same. Somehow, im thinking this is software, since im 99.9% certain I've not changed anything since the last time it worked normally.
rama

Post by rama »

Can you show me a screenshot of the log with information mode running?
There should be a few lines visible around <reset>.

The reason I'm asking: Info mode includes a readout on what the sync processor sees on the VS input.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

Quick question, is it possible to add sound to the HDMI version ?

Probably not...
rama

Post by rama »

With external stuff only.
There's probably some kind of HDMI mixer adapter thing that lets you add a sound feed.
One other way: VGA + sound to HDMI adapters.

Maybe the MacroSilicon HDMI transcoder even has a sound option.
I don't have a datasheet or register definitions, so I don't know.
rama

Post by rama »

https://www.amazon.com/Stellar-Labs-33- ... 00VSOPU20/

I think this should do it. Maybe there are cheaper or better options available, but this looks good.
rama

Post by rama »

TomDD:
Overscan stuff is implemented.
Users have an overscan button on the preferences tab. If it's active, the presets get patched to support more active video.
It's working well with my PS2 test here, definitely showing 720px wide at least.
Supported for now are 1280x960 and 1920x1080 (both PAL and NTSC).
TomDD

Post by TomDD »

rama wrote:TomDD:
Overscan stuff is implemented.
Users have an overscan button on the preferences tab. If it's active, the presets get patched to support more active video.
It's working well with my PS2 test here, definitely showing 720px wide at least.
Supported for now are 1280x960 and 1920x1080 (both PAL and NTSC).
Works perfectly, great job and many thanks :-)

Tested at 1080p, photo below. Hopefully you can see the border around the white and red area which was normally cut off

TomDD

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I tested 2 GBS at my brothers place today, none of his systems run csync and most are PAL. Both fully modded.
Before taking them there I tested them on every system I have via buffered csync. Loving the new firmware. I still get a sync scroll from top to bottom randomly on NES is my only complaint.

So off to my brothers...

GBS ran fine on Pal Megadrive and Pal SNES via comp video for sync.

I used the same cable for the Mastersystem and got sever sync dropouts
PC Engine had similar dropouts but not so bad.

I rewired his Sega scart cable for csync but didnt add a resistor just threw TTL down there to see if the console would read anything, but it couldnt find a thing.

Heres the console readout PC Engine. It was playable but would drop here and there, the SMS was stuffed tho.
Should I just make him a sync stripper and call it a day?
Spoiler
Has anyone else had issue syncing with comp video via

TurboDuo
Mastersystem (PAL)
Last edited by Syntax on Thu May 02, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rama

Post by rama »

Oh gee, might want to fix the SPIFFS not working first :p
The sketch was probably uploaded with the ESP8266 options set to "4M (no SPIFFS)".
It should be "4M (1M SPIFFS)".

But that's not going to affect the sync.
If you can, just build a sync stripper for this use case. If gbscontrol struggles this much with sync, then it's not a good signal at all.
Better have the LM1881 handle this then.

Mega Drive CSync requires the series resistor.
With the resistor, it's a voltage divider. I know it works well with no LM1881 even.
Without resistor, it's more like a voltage shortcut. Some signal gets through, but it's killing the console sooner or later.
rama

Post by rama »

TomDD:
I'll still be tweaking the presets but this looks good already :)

The 50Hz 1080p preset probably has a problematic display clock. I see jailbars with one of my GBS boards with it.
It's probably fine on some units, but some will show the issue.
TomDD

Post by TomDD »

rama wrote:TomDD:
I'll still be tweaking the presets but this looks good already :)

The 50Hz 1080p preset probably has a problematic display clock. I see jailbars with one of my GBS boards with it.
It's probably fine on some units, but some will show the issue.
Yes there are some faint jailbars, you can just about see them on my photo. I've got two units and it is just visible on both

TomDD
rama

Post by rama »

I lowered the display clock and the jailbars are gone here. It even looks a little sharper on my board.
Overscan is included in the base preset and I reduced the vertical scaling.

Hopefully the overscan is still enough for the QL.
If it's cutting off some characters, I'd like to know if manual adjustments can fix the problem.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Howdy all! It's been a while since I've tinkered with anything. New job...life...etc. But I've been meaning to hard-wire my connections between GBS and ESP, so finally got around to taking on a small project today, and also updating to the latest build at the same time.
Spoiler
Gotta say, I'm loving the new features - super friendly UI, better button press functionality, and refined 1080p presets. :o

Now then, I've always had interference on my GBS, but it seems to have gotten worse after the recent bodge work. The colors look great in general, but the interference is noticeable primarily in blue areas, and extremely noticeable in those areas. See the video below. Youtube's softens it...it is much more noticeable in real life.

I've tried LPF'ing via the OSSC - zero effect. I've tried fixing via blue gain and blue offset adjustments on the OSSC - zero effect. Hopefully you wizards can see something I'm doing wrong....or possibly it's just a known shortcoming of the GBS, better on some models, worse on other.

https://youtu.be/cvGnBVfjo9w

Don't worry, that's an unlisted video. And nonetheless, the work on this project continues to produce amazing results. Thank you as always!
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Did you remove the ceramic cap near the LM1117 1.3v LDO?