OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by shmupsrocks »

In that case a 1600x1200 monitor would be the ultimate ~24" if I don't want any lines cropped.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

shmupsrocks wrote:In that case a 1600x1200 monitor would be the ultimate ~24" if I don't want any lines cropped.
I'd say 1920x1200; no lines cropped, and compatibility with games with widescreen support.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Would love for there to be a small 1920x1200 OLED. Is the PVM/BVM the only ~24" OLED out there? Its max resolution is said to be 1680x1050. Is that its native res?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

There are good 1200p monitors out there. 4:3 with 1600x1200 (UXGA) or 16:10 with 1920x1200 (WUXGA). But these are all LCDs and some (most?) of them are quite dated by now.

PVM and BVM OLEDs are available in 17, 24 and 30" and yes these are basically the only OLEDs. The 17" and 24/25" models are all 1920x1080p. The 30" ones are 4K. There's also a 22" ASUS with 4K and soon a 22" Eizo with 4K. Then there's nothing and then there are 55" models, both as TVs and as monitors (Sony and Alienware).
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I hear that Alienware is crazy dim. That's way too much money to be turning off lights and pulling curtains to play a game. You can't play new games 4k@120Hz, anyway.

I'm sure there will be much better options available when GPUs catch up.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

There used to be 30" 1920x1200 monitors, even not-so-long ago in Korea, but with bad panels IIRC.

Some of the 24" 16:10 still found around aren't bad at all indeed, though performance-wise they're just basic IPSes with average brightness output, and lack 16:9 aspect support for external sources (can be annoying).

Whatever, though very interesting there's nothing upcoming that would qualify as potential 'ultimate', CRTs still rule.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/hi ... h_rate.htm
(lol 1 million zones FALD)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

With the new high refresh rate IPS's around, has anyone had the opportunity to test if these still have the "flicker retention"-problem caused by bob deinterlacing?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

orange808 wrote:I hear that Alienware is crazy dim. That's way too much money to be turning off lights and pulling curtains to play a game. You can't play new games 4k@120Hz, anyway.

I'm sure there will be much better options available when GPUs catch up.
It was announced for $4000 right?

You can get a 55" LG C9 for like $1200. It has under a frame of lag, and with HDMI 2.1 should support 4K @ 120Hz with full color resolution and HDR, plus a 40-120Hz Freesync range.

I would hope that Alienware "monitor" is DOA for any sensible person. They're way too late to charge that kind of money.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

bobrocks95 wrote:You can get a 55" LG C9 for like $1200.
This always pisses me off. Always shamelessly more expensive in Europe, like that one is 1990€ (2,186 USD)
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Thomago wrote:With the new high refresh rate IPS's around, has anyone had the opportunity to test if these still have the "flicker retention"-problem caused by bob deinterlacing?
I have a 144Hz IPS panel with the lowest pixel response time of any IPS panel on the market, what is this "flicker retention" I should be looking for?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Certain types of IPS panels are sensitive to horizontal lines displaying with a 30Hz refresh (such as 480i content deinterlaced using an OSSC or Retrotink). These can cause visible image retention on those particular panels. Far from all IPS panels are sensitive to this though.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Xyga wrote:
This always pisses me off. Always shamelessly more expensive in Europe, like that one is 1990€ (2,186 USD)
Well $1200 is during a good sale. $1600 right now on Amazon. $1400 on Newegg though...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Xyga wrote:
Well $1200 is during a good sale. $1600 right now on Amazon. $1400 on Newegg though...
Yeah, I think $2200 is the "retail" price. I just got mine for $1550+tax last month. $1600 seems to be the current standard sale price in the US.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Fudoh wrote:Certain types of IPS panels are sensitive to horizontal lines displaying with a 30Hz refresh (such as 480i content deinterlaced using an OSSC or Retrotink). These can cause visible image retention on those particular panels. Far from all IPS panels are sensitive to this though.
I don't remember seeing that on mine during the brief bits of 480i via OSSC that I saw booting up the PSX, but I also wasn't looking for it. It just seemed like normal bob deinterlacing.

IIRC, before LG's Nano IPS displays went on sale over the past year or so, (the LG 27850 uses one of them), the only high refresh IPS panels on the market were from AUO. So the new slew of high refresh rate displays from LG Display do not have any commonality with all the ones that came before them. The 27GL850 specifically has a notably lower pixel response time than previous Nano IPS displays, so it's also clearly got something different going on. They advertise a 1ms response time, but that's with overdrive set to unreasonable levels: it's 4.8ms average g2g in practice, which still makes it the fastest IPS panel on the market, on par with TN panels in the slow to medium range (for TN panels).
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Guspaz wrote:I don't remember seeing that on mine during the brief bits of 480i via OSSC that I saw booting up the PSX, but I also wasn't looking for it. It just seemed like normal bob deinterlacing.
You can only see it if you use 480i/576i content for a prolonged time; 15 minutes of bobbing would be a save bet I guess.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Anyone know how to calculate PAR for a board once you have its dotclock to find out if the value is close enough to 1.0, 0.8, or 0.6 to not distort the aspect ratio much in optim mode?
naz

Post by naz »

Hi,

I've been playing with the custom scanlines, but I can't do both horizontal and vertical scanlines. For example: If I set a vertical scanline to 100% (so pure black from top to bottom) and then add a horizontal scanline to any percent, the previously set vertical black scanline is lost in every place it crosses the horizontal scanline. So horizontal is dominant and can't do both.

Am I missing something??
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I could never get scanlines looking right with lines both ways.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Has anyone successfully displayed the following PCBs without issue:

V-V/Grindstormer
Batsugun
Fixeight

All three of these fail to sync with my OSSC, AV1 or AV3 input.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
nintari

Post by nintari »

After now a year and a half (just joined the forums recently) I can finally say thanks for this device!! but it is with sad news I have to report my ossc is dead :( first sync started to go nuts out of the blue and I was having some audio issues....and last night it went POOF :(

I know its long out of warranty so I'm not asking for any freebies..., but does anyone offer repair services for this? I already ordered another, because I'm an addict / ocd and I cant stand to think something isn't working. I may plan to take it apart and try to look to see if anything stands out... it may be possible I took a surge at some point and it slowly was dying.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I think it would be useful by now if marqs or Fudoh would make clear for everyone that the OSSC has no means, no actual ability or feature to force-normalize sync from arcade boards for displays that don't deal well with particular refreshes/signals.

Apparently a number of people don't get that the OSSC is not a XRGB-2 or VP50 Pro, and they won't hear it from anyone but you two.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

thchardcore wrote:Has anyone successfully displayed the following PCBs without issue:

V-V/Grindstormer
Batsugun
Fixeight

I haven't tried AV3 but I posted about my trouble with Dogyuun here and I wouldn't be surprised if Batsugun falls into the same category:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65035
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

thchardcore wrote:Has anyone successfully displayed the following PCBs without issue:

V-V/Grindstormer
Batsugun
Fixeight

I got Fixeight and Outzone working with my HAS v4 and OSSC using AV1. What supergun are you using?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

shmupsrocks wrote:

V-V/Grindstormer
Batsugun
Fixeight

I haven't tried AV3 but I posted about my trouble with Dogyuun here and I wouldn't be surprised if Batsugun falls into the same category:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65035
I see. Thanks for confirming. My other thought is to use an XAV2-S and a Startech S-video to VGA converter. Might take a hit in video quality, but hope to avoid noticable lag.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

XtraSmiley wrote:

V-V/Grindstormer
Batsugun
Fixeight

I got Fixeight and Outzone working with my HAS v4 and OSSC using AV1. What supergun are you using?
I am using a highly modified Mak Strike with Tim's AV-driver.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

nintari wrote:I may plan to take it apart and try to look to see if anything stands out... it may be possible I took a surge at some point and it slowly was dying.
Check the DYI build sub-forum at VGP.
https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... t-support/
nintari

Post by nintari »

Harrumph wrote:
nintari wrote:I may plan to take it apart and try to look to see if anything stands out... it may be possible I took a surge at some point and it slowly was dying.
Check the DYI build sub-forum at VGP.
https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... t-support/
TYVM so far I do see one (U5) IC / voltage regulator / dc to dc converter (trying to identify the chip lol) is definitely blown. Hopefully they have more information there
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Soo... I have read that the OSSC can do some special magic to help out the N64. Anyone have an references/resources for good N64 settings?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The OSSC doesn't support the N64 by default, since the N64 only outputs composite and s-video, neither of which the OSSC support. Has your N64 been modded for RGB?
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

^Yes, my n64 is modded for RGB. And according to a comment thread on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCorybNncmA&t=32s

YT vid:

"I am not using a Gameshark. It's the 320x240 optimized mode on the OSSC. With the correct settings it removes the N64 blur."

So apparently the OSSC can work some magic on n64?