shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:35 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 203, 204, 205, 206, 207
 Post subject: Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:29 pm 

maxtherabbit wrote:
ok but if narrower (<95MHz) filtering of RGBHV/RGBS inputs on AV3 is not possible, then what happens when you input a signal with LESS bandwidth than 1080p on AV3 in RGBHV/RGBS while in auto mode? does it get filtered under 95MHz or not at all?

The way the wiki reads, yes; feeding AV3 with any RGBS/RGBHV signal less than 1080p results in no LPF being applied.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:56 pm 

nmalinoski wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
ok but if narrower (<95MHz) filtering of RGBHV/RGBS inputs on AV3 is not possible, then what happens when you input a signal with LESS bandwidth than 1080p on AV3 in RGBHV/RGBS while in auto mode? does it get filtered under 95MHz or not at all?

The way the wiki reads, yes; feeding AV3 with any RGBS/RGBHV signal less than 1080p results in no LPF being applied.

perhaps, but it seems ambiguous to me - not to mention the fact that it would be somewhat nonsensical for an "auto" algorithm to select a wider passband for a signal with less bandwidth

that's why I came here to ask the experts :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:17 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

perhaps, but it seems ambiguous to me - not to mention the fact that it would be somewhat nonsensical for an "auto" algorithm to select a wider passband for a signal with less bandwidth

that's why I came here to ask the experts :wink:

I tested it - inputted a 480p RGBHV signal with slight (V)HF noise to AV3

with the LPF setting on "auto" or 95MHz the output was clean - on any other setting the noise was visible on the output

so "auto" does indeed apply the 95MHz filter to signals at 1080p AND below on AV3

Last edited by maxtherabbit on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:27 pm 

Been noticing this since .82,

Have my PS1 hooked up SCART RGB, csync mod, 1.6 ossc, line5x, gscartsw, LGB7, most of the time the picture looks fine.

Sometimes however the picture is wobbly (sync related?), hitting the input change on the ossc and coming back fixes it (it remains fixed until power cycling).

It seems to only happen when the input auto detection on the OSSC triggers and goes to the SCART input, but I don't think I've seen it enough times to be sure.

Not sure if it is my setup or something that has changed in .82, I didn't notice it before.

Last edited by djc5166 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:26 pm 

^ I've noticed the same thing with mine but already several firmwares back, it's not a big disturbanc and it's not alway present.
I'm using a DVI OSSC, vanilla scart rgb cable, and full-hd monitor.
No much difference playing with any of the settings afaik.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:58 pm 

Do either of you have sync regen turned on with the gscartsw? I tend to get wobbly picture with that on, so I leave it turned off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:26 pm 

thebigcheese wrote:
Do either of you have sync regen turned on with the gscartsw? I tend to get wobbly picture with that on, so I leave it turned off.

Turned off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:40 am 

Forgot to say I have no gscartw in the chain, it's direct. And it's a modded PAL console playing almost exclusively NTSC games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:41 pm 

So I had some time to play around with the OSSC and its Scanlines with nice results.

BVM effect:

I follow fernan1234 advice and manage to get some variable thickness in the scanlines, similar to the ones display on a BVM. Here are the comparison photos from Phonedork's BVM vs my LG Oled + OSSC:

The effect is less pronounce than the BVM, but I still like it (I've been playing terranigma like this). Also, the effect is not noticeable on 3X and 5X (thinner blank scanline and more square pixels); it looks the best on 2X and 4X, being 2X the better option on my tv model.

Consumer CRT effect:

I replicated headlesshobbs test to get an image similar to a consumer CRT. I tested Street Fighter on the Dreamcast through the Toro with horizontal scanlines (480p signal) and feed that to the OSSC 2X output with upsample2x enable (960p signal) and feed that to my oled lg. Here are some photos:

Toro doesn't allow brightness adjustment for the scanlines (I would like them darker), but the effect is still impressive (it looks like my old sony Trinitron). An equivalent "simpler" alternative to this will be an option on the OSSC with both horizontal and vertical scanlines with upsamble2x for 4X. Could someone confirm if this is possible on the OSSC?? I would like to do this on all my 240p consoles.

Regards!

Ps: all photos taken with my cellphone, image looks better in person.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:49 pm 

FBX wrote:
I made the first set of import profiles for the OSSC with custom labels (sans the last slot as I didn't use it). Please note that I found in my particular case I have to make Win32DiskImager write the file TWICE to the card before my OSSC will recognize the data (at least for firmware updates). So I always do this for profile imports as well. Also please note the 32X profile is tied to HD Retrovision cables, while the others are tied to RGBS SCART input.

As usual, sampling phase, H. backporch, and V. backporch are random variables on a console/cable case-by-case basis, so you may still need to adjust these for your given setup. Here's the import file link:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/ossc_profiles_fbx.zip

Simply go into the settings option and look for the import function.

Cheers!

-FBX

Can you tell me where to lace these files on the SD card? I just updated to .82 and I have the import option but it doesn't see anything on the SD card or says "failed"

This whole thing confuses me..and most the guides only partially help. I wish I could hire someone to help me learn and set this thing up.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:27 pm 

NewYears1978 wrote:
Can you tell me where to lace these files on the SD card? I just updated to .82 and I have the import option but it doesn't see anything on the SD card or says "failed"

This whole thing confuses me..and most the guides only partially help. I wish I could hire someone to help me learn and set this thing up.

You don't put them on the SD card directly. They need to be embedded in a firmware update file, which can be done with this app. Paste the JSON into the box at the bottom, hit Import, then scroll down and hit 'Save profiles.bin'.

Now, I haven't used this yet myself, but I believe that .bin file contains the firmware update as well, so I believe you'd flash that to your SD card like you would any other firmware update, and your profiles will be preloaded.

Edit: Nevermind. SavagePencil has the correct instructions. And [strike] isn't a supported BBCode tag. :/

Last edited by nmalinoski on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:34 am 

nmalinoski wrote:
NewYears1978 wrote:

You don't put them on the SD card directly. They need to be embedded in a firmware update file, which can be done with this app. Paste the JSON into the box at the bottom, hit Import, then scroll down and hit 'Save profiles.bin'.

Now, I haven't used this yet myself, but I believe that .bin file contains the firmware update as well, so I believe you'd flash that to your SD card like you would any other firmware update, and your profiles will be preloaded.

Ahhh I see thank you. So the ones FBX provided a few pages back is already embedded so I would just run it as a FW update. (tried that but did not work - ah got it now, wrote the .bin file then did the import command)

I have spent all day trying to fixt this..I can get it looking pretty decent on SNES but whenever I move - things get REALLY sharp in the bkg..when I stop they seem to blur again..it's like..reverse motion blur..very odd..can't figure out what is caused by. It appears to be a ghosting type effect....very very annoying and distracting.

This is not a 1-chip..regular SNES hooked up via SCART.

Really hard to capture on video or photo but look here for example:
https://imgur.com/a/NoFsmgW

It happens on my NES also SCART directly to the OSSC..so it must be my monitor?

Edit: Ahhh mymonitor had this "refresh rate" setting "Standard, Advance and Ultra" Supposedly Ultra removes ghosting..but it was CAUSING the ghosting. So that issue is resolved..I still notice the reverse motion blur effect though where the bkg of games look like they get sharp when the screen is moving. Annoying!

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:33 pm 

You’ll need a tool such as Win32 Disk Image Writer to write the .bin file to the SD card (as depicted here: https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... -tutorial/ ).

Then you will import the settings by going to Menu -> Settings opt -> Import settings.

More details here: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... t_settings

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 pm 

Quote:
I replicated headlesshobbs test to get an image similar to a consumer CRT. I tested Street Fighter on the Dreamcast through the Toro with horizontal scanlines (480p signal) and feed that to the OSSC 2X output with upsample2x enable (960p signal) and feed that to my oled lg. Here are some photos:

I love how DC looks in this setup, hopefully these scanlines can be added natively to OSSC with 480p material in the future.

Quote:
You’ll need a tool such as Win32 Disk Image Writer to write the .bin file to the SD card (as depicted here: https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... -tutorial/ ).

Then you will import the settings by going to Menu -> Settings opt -> Import settings.

More details here: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... t_settings

I do need to do a proper tutorial on the whole profile thing, things are stressful at the moment with planning for the big move, but I'll put it on the to do list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:18 am 

Thanks all for the help. My NES has never looked this good...it looks even better than it did on my CRT 32 in WEGA.

Only set up my NES and partial SNES so far. Trying to figure out the best way to name my profiles without overwriting one. The web tool is PERFECT however since there is no EXPORT from the settings on the OSSC I have to manually key all the changes I made on the OSSC into the Web thing for each profile..very tedious but could be a lot worse if there was no import :)

I assume there is no way to export the settings yet?

Online Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 203, 204, 205, 206, 207