OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bacardi

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by bacardi »

Harrumph wrote:
bacardi wrote:Received mine on Monday, I’m really impressed with the image quality this box outputs! Btw Line x4 works on a Sony KDL50W800C just fine on 240p content, and 480i:) Fantastic work Marqs on this!
That's the first report of a W-series Sony accepting anything besides x2, ever! Would be appreciated if you made a small report either on here or on vgp forums (any tweaks, consoles tested etc).
Sure:

Sony KDL50W800C, OSSC firmware 0.78:
Console: PSX via SCART, 240p, Pass: OK, 2x: OK, 3x OK, 4x:OK, 5x: only works in 1920x1200 mode and 1600x1200, not 1080 one, which is weird cause the screen shouldn't even display the other modes o_O - i don't use 5x on them cause i get uneven scanlines. Btw this all stock settingsl, I haven't messed with anytihng.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

RGBSource wrote:
Naiera wrote:I finally got around to testing these settings as per the instructions given below this post.

It made it much worse, but in a way that looks like it might be corrected with the proper setting. I just have no idea how.
I find that hard to believe given the results I've captured. Can you share a picture and what settings you've changed from default?
I changed the settings according to the instructions given in this thread. If there are other settings to change that are a given to those more experienced, I’ll need them too, of course.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Just got my OSSC today and it fucking rules, this is exactly the kind of thing I've been waiting for. It's worked with every console that I've thrown at it so far and I haven't noticed any weird incompatibility issues with my AOC i2367 yet. Now I just need a remote so I can do a little more tweaking...
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

ApolloBoy wrote:Just got my OSSC today and it fucking rules, this is exactly the kind of thing I've been waiting for. It's worked with every console that I've thrown at it so far and I haven't noticed any weird incompatibility issues with my AOC i2367 yet. Now I just need a remote so I can do a little more tweaking...
I'm assuming you know you can use just about any remote? Hold down 1 while turning on the OSSC.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

@Bacardi same issue as with my SONY KD65XD8577SAEP then. my capture card decklink would accept whatever resolution thrown at it tho.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Doesn't the OSSC come with a remote? I seem to remember selecting that option when I pre-ordered. Guess I'll find out here in a few weeks when it ships.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Naiera wrote:I changed the settings according to the instructions given in this thread. If there are other settings to change that are a given to those more experienced, I’ll need them too, of course.
In optimized modes you need to adjust the sampling phase.
bacardi

Post by bacardi »

On a side note, i was considering a 4k set: has anyone tested the 3x mode upscaled to 4k? In theory that should give equal scanlines and the most screen space? Any success stories?:)
Gnomenthusiast

Post by Gnomenthusiast »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Just to be clear in case you don't know, but the OSSC can line-double 480p to 960p, and 480i to 480p, though the deinterlacing won't look very good.

Nearly every Dreamcast game supports 480p VGA, you really should invest in a VGA box if you can.
Got a Toro on the way from BBS, should arrive this week.

I think one problem I have is that I haven't been able to update the OSSC, and there are a lot more options available now than I have (V 0.73).

Thanks for your help!
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

paulb_nl wrote:
Naiera wrote:I changed the settings according to the instructions given in this thread. If there are other settings to change that are a given to those more experienced, I’ll need them too, of course.
To what, is my question, then :)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

So I have the quick start guide, and the Wiki printed out and read through (cursory, not in depth). Can any of the pros recommend some good tutorials (and or videos) they found useful when trying to fine tune (as in some slightly more in-depth fine-tuning) the OSSC to some of the more common systems? (I use NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1 mostly).
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

paulb_nl wrote:
It only seems to get worse the more I adjust that in either direction.
CaptainCommando

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by CaptainCommando »

marqs wrote:
ZellSF wrote:Another feature request if possible. Add overscan brightness as an option.

Know how plasmas let you set grey bars around the image to prevent image retention/burn-in? That's probably going to be relevant for OLEDs too, but with retro consoles most TVs show a black border around them because that's in the overscan area.
Yes, I could add an option to change mask brightness.
rtw wrote:Malfunctioning:

Seibu SPI, 293p 15.97kHz 54.25Hz
TAITO F3, 0i 15.70kHz 60.00Hz

Notes:
The Seibu SPI gets sync with the OSSC but there is no video output, it works with the Framemeister.
Output with Seibu SPI (586 lines, ~54Hz) is not likely to be compatible with many consumer TVs, so I'd try a PC monitor instead.
rtw wrote:The TAITO F3 does not get sync at all and it does not work with the Framemeister.

Supposedly the TAITO F2 and F3 have a very broken sync output. This circuit is supposed to fix it:

http://ntls.shop-pro.jp/?pid=78855569

I own it and if I use it with the Framemeister it works and on the OSSC it gets a better sync signal so it detects 260p but it will not sync even if I change the LPF.
I tested Taito F2 and F3 boards (Super Space Invaders, Grid Seeker) last fall and had indeed some problems initially. If I remember correctly, they used much longer hsync than usual, which was erroneously interpreted as vsync with recommended sync separator settings. I then changed the default values so that these boards synced fine - could it be that some other F2/F3 games have even longer hsync? Anyway, I can expose the vsync threshold setting in next fw. I would have already done so but there's no proper menu structure yet so I've avoided adding options that shouldn't need to be tweaked generally. Another thing you might want to try is setting OSSC to correct input before turning on the source. I recall Grid Seeker requiring that trick to sync.
Hi Marqs,
I received yesterday my OSSC 1.6 and it is really a revolutionary piece of hardware! Thanks for making it for us! I love the result and it really beats my 14" Sony BVM in image quality!

Image on my Dell 1440p wide gamut monitor is great! Almost all my 240p pcbs go 5x except Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 which can go 4x but has also a strange crop at the bottom of the image. And aspect ratio looks drawn up and down and narrow on the sides left-right. It is one of those boards which have weak brightness too. Is RGB offset the way to tune up brightness?

My Taito F3 Bubble Symphony won't sync. Is there any known fix for this?
Also how can I reduce brightness for some pcbs like Taito Liquid kids, Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder, Street Fighter 3 3rdStrike, PGM 2 Oriental Legend 2 and some CPS2 boards?

Thank you in advance :)
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

Got mine. I have to commend them on the excellent smell of glue and plastic. I had some static noise in my image on my 60hz modded snes. I went into the advanced timings for 240p and set H. samplerate from 858 which was default to 859 and it's gone. I like this thing. Still...I've pretty much eliminated the background noise on it and it DOES have sharper 1080p. I'm definately not done with the FM either.
Last edited by Chocograph on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

Gnomenthusiast wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
Just to be clear in case you don't know, but the OSSC can line-double 480p to 960p, and 480i to 480p, though the deinterlacing won't look very good.

Nearly every Dreamcast game supports 480p VGA, you really should invest in a VGA box if you can.

I think one problem I have is that I haven't been able to update the OSSC, and there are a lot more options available now than I have (V 0.73).

Thanks for your help!
You will have to get a 2GB microSD card or use a JTAG programmer as that particular firmware version won't work with anything larger.
CaptainCommando

CobraKing wrote:
Gnomenthusiast wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:

Thanks for your help!
You will have to get a 2GB microSD card or use a JTAG programmer as that particular firmware version won't work with anything larger.
Yesterday I received version 1.6. Does it recognize 32gb microsd?
Thanks
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

^^
If you power it up and it has a firmware version of 0.74 or higher you should be good to update it to future versions using your 32GB MicroSD.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... are_update

Edit: I think that all OSSC 1.6 units should ship with the 0.78 firmware so you should be fine.
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

Anyone notice weird scanline flickering?
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Naiera wrote:It only seems to get worse the more I adjust that in either direction.
If you don't get a sharp picture with any of the sampling phase settings then H.samplerate is not set correctly. Did you check its still set at 384?

Reading back I see you said you get bleeding with the Neo Geo? You might not get a good picture in optimized mode because of that.
CaptainCommando

Chocograph wrote:Anyone notice weird scanline flickering?
No
CaptainCommando

I experience maybe incompatibility with high brightness pcbs, even CPS2, picture has lost detail, looks white and washed out. Violent Storm for example is unplayable. Same for Street Fighter 3 and more. In pcb test menu and specifically in color bars test, colors don’t scale well. From midway till the end of the bar there is a solid color instead of shades of that color. Normal brightness and low brightness pcbs look perfect.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Hey folks, long time no see..

I got an OSSC 1.6 in the mail this week and I'm remembering that I can't plug any of my sources b/c all my cables are the JPN21 pin RGB type. Is there an adapter readily available in the US someplace?

Thanks!

B
Chocograph wrote:Got mine. I have to commend them on the excellent smell of glue and plastic.
I was tempted to sniff mine repeatedly to see what might happen.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

paulb_nl wrote:
Naiera wrote:It only seems to get worse the more I adjust that in either direction.
If you don't get a sharp picture with any of the sampling phase settings then H.samplerate is not set correctly. Did you check its still set at 384?

Reading back I see you said you get bleeding with the Neo Geo? You might not get a good picture in optimized mode because of that.
I did set H.samplerate to 384.

Setting it to optimised mode was supposed to fix the bleeding ;)
strygo

Post by strygo »

My OSSC arrived today. I'm still getting the hang of the options, but it looks absolutely phenomenal on my Vizio P50-C1 display. Line4x looks awesome with SNES. I'm not sure if I haven't tuned my Framemeister, but my initial impression is that the OSSC does much better with my display.

Thanks marqs and Bucko for a great product.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Just got a cheap remote and I've been doing some in-depth testing lately. I found that my monitor (AOC i2367) doesn't support the 5x linedoubling mode but up to 4x works flawlessly. I also tested more of my consoles and I found that the PSX is kind of flickery, anyone else notice this?
Blair

Post by Blair »

ApolloBoy wrote:I also tested more of my consoles and I found that the PSX is kind of flickery, anyone else notice this?
could use a bit more information...

1. is this only happening on interlaced sources?

2. are you guys using the "alternating" scanlines feature?

3. have you tried setting 480i to "pass-through"?
Chocograph

Post by Chocograph »

I only tried Zelda 3 on my 60hz modded pal 1chip snes. I just set the scanlines to auto and that was it. I was walking around the area to the right of the pyramid when I noticed the scanlines was vibrating slightly in the dark green water. It was weird. They seemed to behave on land. I don't know...try it for yourself. I've already put my OSSC in the closet, having way too much fun with Mario Rabbids.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Blair wrote:
ApolloBoy wrote:I also tested more of my consoles and I found that the PSX is kind of flickery, anyone else notice this?
could use a bit more information...

1. is this only happening on interlaced sources?

2. are you guys using the "alternating" scanlines feature?

3. have you tried setting 480i to "pass-through"?
It's not a scanline problem and the entire screen somewhat flickers. I don't have this issue with 480i sources, it's specifically with 240p on the PS1.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

bacardi wrote:
Harrumph wrote:
bacardi wrote:Received mine on Monday, I’m really impressed with the image quality this box outputs! Btw Line x4 works on a Sony KDL50W800C just fine on 240p content, and 480i:) Fantastic work Marqs on this!
That's the first report of a W-series Sony accepting anything besides x2, ever! Would be appreciated if you made a small report either on here or on vgp forums (any tweaks, consoles tested etc).
Sure:

Sony KDL50W800C, OSSC firmware 0.78:
Console: PSX via SCART, 240p, Pass: OK, 2x: OK, 3x OK, 4x:OK, 5x: only works in 1920x1200 mode and 1600x1200, not 1080 one, which is weird cause the screen shouldn't even display the other modes o_O - i don't use 5x on them cause i get uneven scanlines. Btw this all stock settingsl, I haven't messed with anytihng.
:x

That's good to hear it works on some Sony's but damn...that's annoying.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Hey guys. I got my OSSC 1.6 last week and have had a few hours to futz with it.

I've had a few issues that I was hoping for some help with.
  • -5x mode in 1920x1080 is rejected by almost all my equipment. My HDMI splitter, my 1080p capable tv, my framemeister. The framemeister was a bit shocking since it usually handles every weird thing I throw at it.
    • *Can anyone recommend an hdmi splitter that handles it?
  • -I've been using my framemeister to massage the non-5x outputs into 1080p for my main tv. While using my PC monitor with the direct output from the OSSC for lowest latency my setup can achieve at 22ms. Whenever I'm using my NESRGB, the framemeister refuses to acknowledge an audio signal. But my pc monitor forwards the audio to my speakers just fine. And when I use other consoles the audio seems to work fine with both. I tried downsampled audio compatibility. But no luck, any tricks to get the framemeister to recognize the audio stream?
  • -Are there any sub-frame latency devices that can just add a border to an oddball signal to round it up to the next standard resolution? Adding a border to 960p to achieve 1080p seems like it should be a super simple device as far as "upscaling" is concerned, since it doesn't need to scale the input at all. Just less than a frame of buffer to ensure that the last unbordered pixel is outputting at the same moment that it's coming in. And buffering up the start of the next frame while it finishes off the bottom border and a new top border. Seems like a shame to kill some of the super speed processing by massaging the signal with a framemeister.