OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DirkSwizzler

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by DirkSwizzler »

zak wrote:Just wanted to say my OSSC arrived 2 days ago.
Mine's been sitting at "LANGLEY HWDC" for 3.5 days with no activity :(

That's a lifetime in internet years.

I hope it didn't fall off a truck 3 days ago.
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:

Same here. I seem to recall it taking a bit with the last order though, so no concern yet. I'm too used to 2 day shipping, a few weeks is still reasonable and normal.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

pyrotek85 wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:

Same here. I seem to recall it taking a bit with the last order though, so no concern yet. I'm too used to 2 day shipping, a few weeks is still reasonable and normal.
It's not so much a long shipping time that bugs me. It's the complete lack of any updates at all. If it were slowly plodding across the ocean I'd be fine as long as I got updates on distance travelled.
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
It's not so much a long shipping time that bugs me. It's the complete lack of any updates at all. If it were slowly plodding across the ocean I'd be fine as long as I got updates on distance travelled.
It might be plodding along right now, I think it only updates when it goes to a new distribution center and is scanned by someone. Sometimes it's scanned in but then in a holding status before it actually begins to move.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

DirkSwizzler wrote:

Welcome to the world of international shipping!
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

I hate it when things sit in customs hell for days on end. Luckily it just took my OSSC a couple days to get released, so I should have it sometime this week.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Harrumph wrote:
Blair wrote:
xadox wrote:Let me ask again :roll:
Is there a way to export the settings to a file?
I think the profiles are saved inside "slots" on the OSSC itself, and not to a file on the SD card. so I don't think it has profile sharing capabilities yet. you might want to put in a request for that feature.
Requests have been made already, e.g. https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... -micro-sd/
so it should be on Marqs's radar. No idea if it's possible to implement though.
Instead of exporting profiles (which are only valid for matchin fw version) from OSSC, I'd rather consider implementing a PC application where user could generate profiles (stored internally e.g. as XML) and finally export them out to a file (formatted according to target fw version) which can be written to SD card and subsequently loaded in OSSC.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

marqs wrote:Instead of exporting profiles (which are only valid for matchin fw version) from OSSC, I'd rather consider implementing a PC application where user could generate profiles (stored internally e.g. as XML) and finally export them out to a file (formatted according to target fw version) which can be written to SD card and subsequently loaded in OSSC.
But the endpoint in that setup still requires transfer from the sdcard. Assuming that saving to SD is nearly free after loading is implemented. Then providing just saving/loading of firmware specific files (a feature you'll need nomatter what) gets you convenient sharing under a curation system that would surely pop up instantly. Then if there's enough documentation for someone to translate a profile from one firmware to another, I'm sure the community would step up to flesh out the rest of the pipeline you describe.

Leveraging demand in a community is a powerful tool.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

Mine's now in SF, should get here by the end of the week!
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

Got my 1.6 OSSC in today. Just as they said, it's a drop in replacement. Getting VGA+audio into it is indeed easier now, and works perfectly with my Dreamcast and Hanzo VGA box.

Otherwise it's not much different than the previous revision as far as I can see.
FBX

Post by FBX »

I missed the 'first string' preorder batch, but last I heard, mine should be shipping next month.
Gnomenthusiast

Post by Gnomenthusiast »

What options are useful/relevant when using OSSC with Dreamcast?

I take it line doubling doesn't work, all the OSSC is doing is converting your RGB/VGA to HDMI?

Thanks in advance,
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

All of my cables are JP21. Can anyone recommend a high quality JP21 to scart adapter?
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

Gnomenthusiast wrote:What options are useful/relevant when using OSSC with Dreamcast?

I take it line doubling doesn't work, all the OSSC is doing is converting your RGB/VGA to HDMI?

Thanks in advance,
Line doubling works fine and looks great on many titles with Dreamcast. I can't agree it looks great on other 480p consoles but yea. Long as you have a good VGA box it shines.
Gnomenthusiast

Post by Gnomenthusiast »

Zappyraccoon wrote:
Gnomenthusiast wrote:What options are useful/relevant when using OSSC with Dreamcast?

Thanks in advance,
Line doubling works fine and looks great on many titles with Dreamcast. I can't agree it looks great on other 480p consoles but yea. Long as you have a good VGA box it shines.

Cool, but you can only get 480p with a VGA Box? There's nothing it can do for 480i using just a plain RGB Scart cable (no box)?

Need to stop the thing overheating first.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Gnomenthusiast wrote:
Zappyraccoon wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Cool, but you can only get 480p with a VGA Box? There's nothing it can do for 480i using just a plain RGB Scart cable (no box)?

Need to stop the thing overheating first.
Just to be clear in case you don't know, but the OSSC can line-double 480p to 960p, and 480i to 480p, though the deinterlacing won't look very good.

Nearly every Dreamcast game supports 480p VGA, you really should invest in a VGA box if you can.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Got mine today...
Here's my info regarding SNES capture:
* Avermedia ExtremeCap U3 only takes the 480p (2x). 720p or higher will not work.
* Blackmagic Design DecLink 4K Extreme12G Hdmi1.4 daughterboard will not take input at all at any resolution. Works just fine with the Nintendo Switch and Analogue Nt Mini at 1080p.
* Datapath will take 1x,2x,3x,4x,5x at any resolution . however i would not get it working in OBS, probably cuz i setup it wrong, i forgot how to do it.

My SONY KD65XD8577SAEP will take 1x,2x,3x,4x. It will handle 5x if I set it to anything else other than 1920x1080 for example: 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 o_O

is there something special with the 1920x1080 resolution of the ossc?
Last edited by Elrinth on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

My Sony UHDTV
which model, please ?
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Sorry, I know the answer is likely somewhere in the thread, but can someone please clarify for me which kind of cable I need for my SNES? Maybe even a link to a store that can sell me one of good quality? :) The one SNES RGB cable I could find gets me no picture, although I do get sound.

Thanks in advance :)
FBX

Post by FBX »

Naiera wrote:Sorry, I know the answer is likely somewhere in the thread, but can someone please clarify for me which kind of cable I need for my SNES? Maybe even a link to a store that can sell me one of good quality? :) The one SNES RGB cable I could find gets me no picture, although I do get sound.

Edit: I see you are in Europe, so you need PAL format cables. These look pretty good:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nin ... -cable-pal

Edit 2: Out of stock. Here are the regular versions:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nin ... d-for-sale

Edit 3: If you want the end output to be csync, they offer a sync stripped version here:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUP ... SYNC-CSYNC
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

FBX wrote:
Naiera wrote:Sorry, I know the answer is likely somewhere in the thread, but can someone please clarify for me which kind of cable I need for my SNES? Maybe even a link to a store that can sell me one of good quality? :) The one SNES RGB cable I could find gets me no picture, although I do get sound.

Edit: I see you are in Europe, so you need PAL format cables. These look pretty good:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nin ... -cable-pal

Edit 2: Out of stock. Here are the regular versions:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/nin ... d-for-sale

Edit 3: If you want the end output to be csync, they offer a sync stripped version here:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SUP ... SYNC-CSYNC
I asked Robert about when he would have saturn packapunch back in stock and he mentioned that he should be receiving more of the packapunch cabling itself this week. Probably worth waiting for a restock if you're not in a huge rush. I basically refresh his site 1-2 times a day waiting for more packapunch.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

RGB SCART cables with sync strippers should be avoided at all costs. The OSSC does not need them and they are only going to cause issues because of bad implementation.
FBX

Post by FBX »

paulb_nl wrote:The OSSC does not need them...
If the OSSC handles sync on luma, then that would be the best way to go for PAL users.
bacardi

Post by bacardi »

Received mine on Monday, I’m really impressed with the image quality this box outputs! Btw Line x4 works on a Sony KDL50W800C just fine on 240p content, and 480i:) Fantastic work Marqs on this!
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

paulb_nl wrote:RGB SCART cables with sync strippers should be avoided at all costs. The OSSC does not need them and they are only going to cause issues because of bad implementation.
I tested a cable with sync stripper on my OSSC and I didn't have any issues with it. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

bacardi wrote:Received mine on Monday, I’m really impressed with the image quality this box outputs! Btw Line x4 works on a Sony KDL50W800C just fine on 240p content, and 480i:) Fantastic work Marqs on this!
That's the first report of a W-series Sony accepting anything besides x2, ever! Would be appreciated if you made a small report either on here or on vgp forums (any tweaks, consoles tested etc).
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The 2015 W 'C' series were not the same as the 'legendary' 2013~2014 W series though; featuring Android and much higher input lag.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Xyga wrote:The 2015 W 'C' series were not the same as the 'legendary' 2013~2014 W series though; featuring Android and much higher input lag.
I wish android was a feature and a not a slow pos on my sony tv. :|
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

RGBSource wrote:
While it's slightly buried on the Junker HQ OSSC wiki page, the optimal timing settings page is handy for dialing in optimal settings for various sources.

I haven't been able to add AES settings yet, but the main thing to tweak is:
OSSC base mode: 320x240
H.samplerate=384
H.synclen and H.backporch also need to be adjusted so that the sides aren't cropped. // Need to double check what I use!

Which AES rev do you use? If it's not one of the earlier revisions that has CXA1145P pin 11 (CSYNC out) wired to AES 8DIN pin 7, you can always update the newer revisions with this circuit.
I finally got around to testing these settings as per the instructions given below this post.

It made it much worse, but in a way that looks like it might be corrected with the proper setting. I just have no idea how.
RGBSource

Post by RGBSource »

Naiera wrote:I finally got around to testing these settings as per the instructions given below this post.

It made it much worse, but in a way that looks like it might be corrected with the proper setting. I just have no idea how.
I find that hard to believe given the results I've captured. Can you share a picture and what settings you've changed from default?