OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by ASDR »

btw, I noticed that the UI changes like the new audio gain & profile link options and the new menu organization for 'settings' were not documented on the wiki. 'Audio analog gain adjustment' is also still listed under 'Scheduled improvements'. Was probably forgotten because the wiki was not working when the update was released.

Slow down guys, the writers can't keep up! :D
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I was toying with hybrid scanlines today again, my new favourite settings are:

LineX3
Scanline Strength: 50%
Scanline Hybrid Strength: 50%
Scanline Method: Multiplication

So neat with the PS1's polygons.

But as usual I was a bit dissatisfied with the colors, that typically look a bit weak with Multiplication.

Then looking into my monitor's colors settings I've realized only today, that the default temperature setting 'user' is sensibly more vibrant than 'native' (the one set by default on the vx3211).
I should have checked a long time ago, as this is a typical trick. *facepalm*
So, weak colors in Multiplication mode gone. ^^ Hybrid scanlines like this is even better.

@Thomago: did you know?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Kind of. I mean... you said it, "this is a typical trick". My VX3211 runs in User Mode pretty much since I have it.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I've been thinking "ok I haven't fixed the room's lighting, really need news glasses, and it's not a VA anyway"
But nah there was really something off. I feel old for not realizing earlier. TT
marqs

Post by marqs »

FBX wrote:Out of curiosity, are there any plans for a new revision of the OSSC that adds in HDMI input support like the Framemeister has? In the Framemeister, you can scale HDMI inputs just like you can component and RGB, and this would be nifty for OSSC to have the same ability.
Not anytime soon. I have things like that are on a "what to do with a big and expensive FPGA" list, but I'm not sure if/when I have enough time to actually implement anything such.
FBX wrote:240 HDMI out from the Gamacube for example. I was curious to know if you could get such a signal into the OSSC, would it give you the full five multiplier choices, or just line double, or neither?
Wouldn't it make more sense to try pushing additional line multiplication features into GC HDMI mod itself?
DirkSwizzler wrote:I just tried 0.80-aud. Forgive me if this has been mentioned. I think I came across a bug in the audio gain setting.

I set it to -12 before turning on a system. When I turned on a system it still seemed as loud as ever until I turned it up to -11 where it got significantly quieter. Going back to -12 at that point worked as expected.

I tried to save profile 0 at -12. Then turn off the system and restart it to see if audio issues persisted. The setting successfully loaded as -12 but had the same result as before where I had to increase the volume to -11 to see an effect.

Saving at -11 and restarting seemed to work as expected.
Seems strange, I'll have to look into this.
ASDR wrote:btw, I noticed that the UI changes like the new audio gain & profile link options and the new menu organization for 'settings' were not documented on the wiki. 'Audio analog gain adjustment' is also still listed under 'Scheduled improvements'. Was probably forgotten because the wiki was not working when the update was released.

Slow down guys, the writers can't keep up!
It's updated now.
zak

Post by zak »

When I play Dreamcast and Gamecube games I have black bars on the left and right hand side of the screen.

How do I get rid of these?
guut

Post by guut »

My OSSC arrived Today and I could aready test my consoles with it. Unfortunately, my TV doesn´t seems to be compatible with anything above lx2. Is there any "trick", or did anyone with a Sony kdl "W"-series manage to get lx3/lx4/lx5 working?
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

zak wrote:When I play Dreamcast and Gamecube games I have black bars on the left and right hand side of the screen.

How do I get rid of these?
You can try to set h.active to 640.
guut wrote:My OSSC arrived Today and I could aready test my consoles with it. Unfortunately, my TV doesn´t seems to be compatible with anything above lx2. Is there any "trick", or did anyone with a Sony kdl "W"-series manage to get lx3/lx4/lx5 working?
No, w-series is notorious for its lack of compatibility.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

**W***A (2013) and **W***B (2014) to be precise.

**W***C (2015) accept more modes but have more lag.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

guut wrote:My OSSC arrived Today and I could aready test my consoles with it. Unfortunately, my TV doesn´t seems to be compatible with anything above lx2. Is there any "trick", or did anyone with a Sony kdl "W"-series manage to get lx3/lx4/lx5 working?
The Line x2 upscaling on those TVs is really good. I tried several things including messing with the Optimal Timings and adding a DVI to VGA converter but could not get anything higher than x2 to work.

With the latter I was able to get a Line x3 image to display but there was some type of vertical flickering going on through the middle of the screen and I didn't want to spend any more time (and money) on it.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

One day we'll have to let our beloved W's go...
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Xyga wrote:One day we'll have to let our beloved W's go...
Probably as soon as an OLED gets HDMI 2.1 support for me... Well, not let go but turned into a great bedroom TV. 120Hz and VRR would be too much to pass up if manufacturers bother to implement them.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Xyga wrote:One day we'll have to let our beloved W's go...
Will be a sad day indeed.
guut

Post by guut »

That´s a pity :(
@CobraKing: Could you explain your setup with DVI to VGA converter to get line3x mode working? I would give it a chance and test with that setup, perhaps I can get the image to be satisfying for me.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Is this level of "bleed" (in lack of a better word) normal on a GameCube using RGB cables?
https://i.imgur.com/GRRguJd.jpg

It looks extremely similar to the chroma shift I get when using component cables:
https://i.imgur.com/55qvar1.jpg

Please ignore that I took that one in 480p as pretty much identical in 240p.

Here is the main menu using RGB:
https://i.imgur.com/xbumgWa.jpg

As you can see it thinks it's outputting in component still, even though the cable has been unplugged.

I have a GCvideo installed internally, I suspect that's why. But is this the cause of the bleed in RGB mode too? If that's the case I'll just remove it, as I don't see the need for it when component + OSSC looks better.

Another thing, would adjustable chroma shifting be possible on the OSSC or would that require a framebuffer?
FBX

Post by FBX »

marqs wrote:
FBX wrote:240 HDMI out from the Gamacube for example. I was curious to know if you could get such a signal into the OSSC, would it give you the full five multiplier choices, or just line double, or neither?
Wouldn't it make more sense to try pushing additional line multiplication features into GC HDMI mod itself?
That sounds great, except I don't make GC HDMI mods.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Konsolkongen wrote:Is this level of "bleed" (in lack of a better word) normal on a GameCube using RGB cables?
Yes - as I understand it, the GC outputs RGB by converting from 4:2:2 YCbCr so you get the same blurring due to the halved horizontal chroma resolution..
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Okay great, I was considering trying to remove the GCHDMI to see if it made a difference :)

So the fact that 240p test suite says "Component" even though it's outputting RGB is correct?
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Xer Xian wrote:Yes - as I understand it, the GC outputs RGB by converting from 4:2:2 YCbCr so you get the same blurring due to the halved horizontal chroma resolution..
That was also my understanding.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

guut wrote:That´s a pity :(
@CobraKing: Could you explain your setup with DVI to VGA converter to get line3x mode working? I would give it a chance and test with that setup, perhaps I can get the image to be satisfying for me.
@guut Sure bud, I used the Rankie HDMI to VGA adapter with a male to male VGA cable to connect the OSSC to the TV's VGA port. The Rankie unit is supposedly one of the better HDMI to VGA adapters you can get. Just double check to see if your TV has the VGA port first.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HDMI-to-VGA-108 ... Swhj9akuFX

You can run the adapter with the supplied micro-USB 5V but I did not as I was worried about long term damage to the OSSC due to the OSSC LEDs lighting up even with the OSSC being turned off and the Rankie micro-USB 5V plugged in.

The Rankie unit's cheap enough that you can experiment with stabilizing a Line X3 or higher image without resorting to TV replacement.

@Blair pointed me in the direction of the Rankie unit so he may be able to shed some further light on this.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I've figured someone would have developed a good composite / SVideo to RGB/YPbPr thingy for the OSSC by now. I'm tried of waiting and just ordered an eval board with the the ADV7128A and AVD7391. After I get that working the way I want it to, I'll design a board that fits into a scart plug and then has composite/s-video jacks.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I wish LineX5 had a very gentle horizontal filter/blur option for it (not like bilinear, only horizontally)

It would pair fantastically with hybrid scanlines when in 1:1 mode (1080p or other)
EthicalShooter

Post by EthicalShooter »

I have an idea for a feature.

I know it’s impossible to increase vertical resolution without a framebuffer, but it should be 100% possible to add blank pixels to the left and right of the image with the linebuffer.

For instance, with line triple, it could put 160 black pixels before and after each line of information, bringing the resolution up to 1280×720 and massively increasing compatibility.

I’m using a 1080p monitor that supports any resolution up to a little over its native, but (with the exception of 720×480) the image is stretched to fit the monitor and can only be set to 4:3 if the resolution is 4:3, so I had to decrease the horizontal resolution of 480i/480p sampling/output to 1280 pixels as opposed to 1440. If there were a padding option, I could simply pad the image to keep its aspect ratio intact at 1440×960.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Did a new video with an inset of the LCD screen:

https://youtu.be/dEr3uFPs7gU

Although it's hard to tell in the video due to chroma downsampling, I tried to demonstrate the issue of the OSSC's 8:7 mode for 256x240 being off alignment by 1 pixel (in line4x mode anyway). I explain it as best I can though.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

citrus3000psi wrote:I've figured someone would have developed a good composite / SVideo to RGB/YPbPr thingy for the OSSC by now. I'm tried of waiting and just ordered an eval board with the the ADV7128A and AVD7391. After I get that working the way I want it to, I'll design a board that fits into a scart plug and then has composite/s-video jacks.
Mike Chi is finishing up his RetroTink x2, although it’s hdmi out, so would need a converter. But more options are always great :)
EthicalShooter

Post by EthicalShooter »

Harrumph wrote:Mike Chi is finishing up his RetroTink x2, although it’s hdmi out, so would need a converter. But more options are always great :)
What's the point of hooking up the RetroTink to the OSSC, and not just directly to the display?

Also, I'd like if someone could tell me if the padding feature I described above is possible.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

More scaling options and scanlines, I guess. But yeah, the 2x is a linedoubler by itself, so it is kinda overkill. A dedicated board like Citrus is now looking into would hopefully be a bit cheaper.
EthicalShooter

Post by EthicalShooter »

Harrumph wrote:More scaling options and scanlines, I guess. But yeah, the 2x is a linedoubler by itself, so it is kinda overkill. A dedicated board like Citrus is now looking into would hopefully be a bit cheaper.
There's this thing I found on eBay. I wonder if someone could buy it and report results.

Also, sorry for being impatient, but I'm seriously curious about whether the horizontal padding feature I described above could be implemented. It could seriously improve 3x compatibility :wink:
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

EthicalShooter wrote: For instance, with line triple, it could put 160 black pixels before and after each line of information, bringing the resolution up to 1280×720 and massively increasing compatibility.
The OSSC already puts padding next to the image to output 1280x720 in lineX3 Generic 4:3.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Harrumph wrote:More scaling options and scanlines, I guess. But yeah, the 2x is a linedoubler by itself, so it is kinda overkill. A dedicated board like Citrus is now looking into would hopefully be a bit cheaper.
Yes cost would be pretty low to build one of these.