OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
juji82

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by juji82 »

fafangus wrote:
juji82 wrote:Did anybody try OSSC - Crystalio II combo ? I cannot find some spare time to test this..
Fudoh is on his way :mrgreen:
Let us know, Fudoh! I might give it a try this weekend if I can find some spare time.. :roll:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

CII is stored away, no chance for quick test, sorry. And let's not forget that the CII's output doesn't lock to the input, so it wouldn't exactly be the best choice for anything but spot-on NTSC refresh rates.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Samsung ks8000, ks8500, ks9000, ks9500 = shows initial 480p "gray" square, but once RGBS input is selected it fails top display an image. Sony 840d had the same results.
Something is definitely not right there, even with the SNES you should see something. Are you sure you haven't accidentally enabled and saved line triple mode?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

marqs wrote:Updated wikipage with link to DIY kit instructions and added fw changelog and roadmap.
Scheduled improvements
YPbPr support for SCART and VGA (target: 0.70)
Dedicated buttons for each input mode (target: 0.70)
New menu structure (target: 0.70)
Fix scanline idx and load of some settings (target: 0.70)
Option to reset settings to defaults (target: 0.70)
Extra remote shortcuts (target: 0.70)
New options: ALC, Vsync threshold (target: 0.70)
Reset line counters when changing input to avoid false detection (target: 0.70)
Interlace passthrough (target: 0.71)
480p/576p lineX2 (target: 0.71)
Alternating scanlines (target: 0.71)
Profiles (target: 0.7X)
Advanced timing tweaker - position, samplerate etc. adjusments (target: 0.7X)
New and more compatible SD card controller (target: 0.7X)
R/G/B gain and offset control (target: 0.7X)
Other feature requests
240p/288p lineX4
Overlay mask brightness control
Scale2x/Super Eagle style graphics filters (requires new memory structure)
De-dither filter for composite style faux transparencies (requires new memory structure)
480p -> 2x240p (duplicate every other line to bypass interpolation for e.g. GC GB player)

thank you, looks awesome !
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Can I vote on moving 240X4 from "other feature requests" to "scheduled improvements"? :P

Assuming it works on anything at all that is (TVs not so important as long as it works on either computer monitors or video processors).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I'm sure this was discussed earlier, but would it be possible to do a 240p x4 to 960p then pad the rest of the image with black to create a ~1080p signal, or is that beyond the capability of the buffer-less design? If it is beyond it, is the 480p x2 mode just kind of hoping some computer displays will accept 960p?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Samsung ks8000, ks8500, ks9000, ks9500 = shows initial 480p "gray" square, but once RGBS input is selected it fails top display an image. Sony 840d had the same results.
Something is definitely not right there, even with the SNES you should see something. Are you sure you haven't accidentally enabled and saved line triple mode?

Was in linetriple mode for the Sega Saturn. On a side note the Denon SW910 AVR I had does indeed work if I put the HDMI out to HDMI "SUB". I guess the internal scaler doesn't like the line triple and the "SUB" output just spits it out the to my Vizio 70". It's actually quite nice as this AVR supports HDMI 2.0a on all of its ports. Now if I can only get a new Vizio P series TV with Dilby Vision and HDR10!
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If I'm figuring right, that would require you to buffer roughly 11% of the scanlines on the input, so you'd need a ~27 scanline buffer, I think?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Guspaz wrote:If I'm figuring right, that would require you to buffer roughly 11% of the scanlines on the input, so you'd need a ~27 scanline buffer, I think?
Might need a larger FPGA then, or at least the memory structure rewrite. Or maybe marqs said earlier it was kind of out of the scope of the project, dunno.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

960p should be accepted by quite a few computer monitors, I would think. I know I've played counter strike at that resolution on multiple monitors lol.

Whether the various quirks of the OSSC's signal would compromise that, I don't know.
akumajo

Post by akumajo »

cosmetic suggestion :
change ossc default background to something sexier (logo, copyright, etc) and maybe with basic instructions ?*
*(Press 1 for SCART / Press 2 for COMPONENT / Press 3 for SCART)
marqs

Post by marqs »

lui wrote:
marqs wrote:.
Marqs, what type of IC would be required to have an OSD with the OSSC?
I'm presuming something along the lines of http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 90096.html
Instead of another IC, just more memory (bigger FPGA and possibly external SRAM) should be enough to implement OSD.
bobrocks95 wrote:
Guspaz wrote:If I'm figuring right, that would require you to buffer roughly 11% of the scanlines on the input, so you'd need a ~27 scanline buffer, I think?
Might need a larger FPGA then, or at least the memory structure rewrite. Or maybe marqs said earlier it was kind of out of the scope of the project, dunno.
Yes, it's not realistic with current HW.
akumajo wrote:cosmetic suggestion :
change ossc default background to something sexier (logo, copyright, etc) and maybe with basic instructions ?*
*(Press 1 for SCART / Press 2 for COMPONENT / Press 3 for SCART)
The test pattern was mainly meant for DIY kit builders since it easily reveals if some IC pins are not soldered down correctly. It has some other uses too (highlights overcsan area and shows if limited/full-range is configured incorrectly) so I left it there as is. A nicer looking background with instructions would need memory - currently the pattern is generated by just logic elements.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

Thank you for putting interlace passthrough option on the roadmap!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

@BuckoA51: just noticed your new 50 Pro + OSSC article, one thing different for me is that I have absolutely no issues with analogue audio integration > HDMI.
I used to though, but all problems were gone after switching to a more modern HDMI cable (was using an old non-high-speed before) and using a perfectly fine SinPro power brick (original one started acting).
Of course 'check your cables' and 'turn it off and on again' feel kind of stupid to say, but if everything's normal then yeh it might be bad luck and an acting unit, maybe...

In regards to linetripled PAL, seems like there's definitely no way yes, no hidden 'trick'. Well, I haven't tried the RGBHV inputs with DVI>RGBHV yet but heh, I'd be surprised if it showed anything at all.
Can't do that soon anyway I'm moving in a few days, gotta box all that junk.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
mechacrash

Post by mechacrash »

Has anyone tried this out with the GBI-ULL (Gameboy Interface, Ultra Low Latency version)?

I don't know much about this stuff frankly, but I know most LCDs have issues with the output it supplies (fixed 480(528)x160/320p viewport, fixed 59.7276 Hz refresh).
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I believe the problems they have are with the framerate, not the resolution, which is pretty standard 240p/480p stuff.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

@BuckoA51: just noticed your new 50 Pro + OSSC article, one thing different for me is that I have absolutely no issues with analogue audio integration > HDMI.
I used to though, but all problems were gone after switching to a more modern HDMI cable (was using an old non-high-speed before) and using a perfectly fine SinPro power brick (original one started acting).
The cable I am using is the same one as the DVDO Edge and that worked perfectly. The other 50 pro I had before had the same problem too though I am sure that one was actually faulty. Maybe for whatever reason my amp doesn't like the signal, though again, no issues with the Edge.

2 channel analogue audio shouldn't need an uprated cable anyway... :?:
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

marqs wrote:Instead of another IC, just more memory (bigger FPGA and possibly external SRAM) should be enough to implement OSD.
I wouldn't mind if you copied the OSD code from GCVideo, but IIRC your project is in Verilog and mine is in VHDL... If a low-resolution text screen is good enough (it was for me), two or three M9K blocks should be sufficient: One for the font (128 chars) and one or two as video RAM.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

BuckoA51 wrote:2 channel analogue audio shouldn't need an uprated cable anyway... :?:
Mine is like 1€, still no problems, maybe it's on the amp side yeah...
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

marqs wrote:The current optimal linetriple parameters are chosen for NES/SNES (256x240) and PSX 320-column mode (320x240). Until I manage to include sampling clock tweak option in the fw, those modes won't necessarily be good/compatible with other consoles. As for desync, does OSSC red LED light up or does your display just lose the picture for a moment?
Are there any additional settings you need for the 256px optimized mode for SNES? When I select it with both my SFC consoles the red led on the OSSC lights up and my monitor loses the picture. It comes back every couple seconds for a split second, but nothing stable. My SC-500N1 capture card will continue to display the picture, but the colors are inverted most of the time. Sometimes it jumps back to normal colors for a brief moment.
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

Anyone here tested the beast with a vp50 (not pro) ?

Off topic :
Can't do that soon anyway I'm moving in a few days, gotta box all that junk.
Are you mooving from Winterfell ? XP
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

fafangus wrote:Anyone here tested the beast with a vp50 (not pro) ?
ZellSF did.
fafangus wrote:Are you mooving from Winterfell ? XP
Yeah I'm out of innocent people to kill, going to invade another fresh castle (just moving to a new house ^^ can't wait to reinstall the machines and resume testing)
marqs

Post by marqs »

Unseen wrote:I wouldn't mind if you copied the OSD code from GCVideo, but IIRC your project is in Verilog and mine is in VHDL... If a low-resolution text screen is good enough (it was for me), two or three M9K blocks should be sufficient: One for the font (128 chars) and one or two as video RAM.
Mixing VHDL and Verilog modules should work, although it might make sense to modify HDL and write it in Verilog instead. Memory is really tight at the moment, but 2-3 M9Ks are not that much. Maybe I should add OSD on the roadmap and start thinking about implementation alternatives.
blizzz wrote:Are there any additional settings you need for the 256px optimized mode for SNES? When I select it with both my SFC consoles the red led on the OSSC lights up and my monitor loses the picture. It comes back every couple seconds for a split second, but nothing stable. My SC-500N1 capture card will continue to display the picture, but the colors are inverted most of the time. Sometimes it jumps back to normal colors for a brief moment.
Compatibility of 256px optimized mode is not that great at the momemt, especially with SNES that has uneven sync. There are a couple things on my list to try out to improve the mode so that it would work with more displays and without losing phase setting every time the mode is selected. Inverted colors are SC-500N1's fault though, and not related to OSSC. I tried generating s matching modeline for my SC-512N1 using PC and color inversion problem was also shown there.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Updated first post to point new people to relevant places. Should have done that already before the thread went over 50 pages but better late than never...
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

marqs wrote:Updated first post to point new people to relevant places. Should have done that already before the thread went over 50 pages but better late than never...
lol I kept forgetting to mention this. Can't remember how many times I've gone to check the OP for info without thinking. It's definitely appreciated.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

ZellSF wrote:
Really liking the DVDO VP50 + OSSC combo btw. Perfect in everything (except the minor color range issue).
Did you use it to mix analogue audio into the hdmi? Bucko seemed to have problems with that and the vp50 pro...
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

RocketBelt wrote:
ZellSF wrote:
Really liking the DVDO VP50 + OSSC combo btw. Perfect in everything (except the minor color range issue).
Did you use it to mix analogue audio into the hdmi? Bucko seemed to have problems with that and the vp50 pro...
On my test setup, I have it set to use analog audio from the Sega Genesis and digital audio from the PlayStation 2. Both convert fine to HDMI. Though that's not a function I actually plan to use once I get everything set up properly.

When reading about the DVDO processors I definitely got the impressions that audio problems are common across all of them though.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Has anybody tried the OSSC with a Taito G'NET board? Very interested in this
Working in the japanese language achievement
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Is there a release date for the first batch yet?
rtw

Post by rtw »

Does the OSSC accept a 15.6 KHz signal on the VGA input connector ?

Some PCBs like System 12 from NAMCO have a JVS output section with a VGA connector.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work