OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BuckoA51

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by BuckoA51 »

I can't see any noise with the Nano but using it with a PSU is a must.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

Hi,

I’ve been in contact with Matt from Video Game Perfection about this issue, and he’s been most helpful with providing me with suggestions and things to try for the issue I am experiencing, but thought I should try and reach out to a wider audience as a last ditch effort to hopefully find a solution to this problem. I also posted this on Videogameperfection.com's forum, but thought this might be a better place to look for a solution.

Ever since I bought my new OLED LG C9 and OSSC last year I’ve had issues with 480p content. No matter the source, be it from my Dreamcast, Wii, Xbox or PS2 – I get frequent dropouts. The drops occur at random, sometimes after an hour or more of playing and other times just after booting up the system. Both the sound and image disappear for 1-2 seconds.
The TV should support the OSSC well – NES, SNES and all other problematic consoles work flawlessly! Without any drops or any kind of compatibility issue whatsoever! Matt from Video Game Perfection also has the same TV as me with no issues with 480p. Anyway, I only have issues with 480p content. I haven’t tried 480i enough to know whether I have issues there as well.
I’ve tried everything I can think of from bypassing my gscart switcher and connecting it directly to my OSSC, tried different cables (short and long) and even several HDMI cables, had the OSSC run through a receiver (only difference was that the sound didn’t disappear as the image went black) and I have tried a myriad of different settings – but nothing has helped…

Lately I’ve focused on trying to get my Dreamcast stable. I’ve played around with tons of settings, since I first thought it was an optimal timings issue – but no matter what I’ve tried it still drops. So I doubt that’s the culprit. I’ve used FBX’s profiles and made my own as well as tried out the standard settings, but nothing works. I’ve also tried to increase the ‘Analog sync Vth’ to max, the ‘Hsync tolerance’ to 10.00-12.30 and the ‘H-PLL Pre-Coast/Post-Coast to 3 respectively, but nothing seems to do the trick.
I should also add that this is my second OSSC, replaced the old one in hope that the first was broken. But no, the new one has the same issue with 480p.

I don’t know what more to test here. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I could try? I really want this to work...

Thanks,
Vira
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BuckoA51 wrote:I can't see any noise with the Nano but using it with a PSU is a must.
It might be other variables at play maybe other cables I'm connecting it to.
I mean I'm super picky when it comes to this stuff but if you ask me they pretty much equal in terms of performance.

There is something I'm looking into though.

When using the HD Fury Nano with the PS4 playing ESP RaDe with scanlines.

The scanlines are uneven on a CRT and my Plasma. I'm not sure why but I've compared it to my other HDMI to VGA converters like the Tendak/Portta/HD Fury DVI and none of those have the issue.

I will test it again when I have some time. Maybe I forgot to plug in the PSU.... I don't remember :oops:

ViraLicious wrote:Hi,

I’ve been in contact with Matt from Video Game Perfection about this issue, and he’s been most helpful with providing me with suggestions and things to try for the issue I am experiencing, but thought I should try and reach out to a wider audience as a last ditch effort to hopefully find a solution to this problem. I also posted this on Videogameperfection.com's forum, but thought this might be a better place to look for a solution.

Ever since I bought my new OLED LG C9 and OSSC last year I’ve had issues with 480p content. No matter the source, be it from my Dreamcast, Wii, Xbox or PS2 – I get frequent dropouts. The drops occur at random, sometimes after an hour or more of playing and other times just after booting up the system. Both the sound and image disappear for 1-2 seconds.
The TV should support the OSSC well – NES, SNES and all other problematic consoles work flawlessly! Without any drops or any kind of compatibility issue whatsoever! Matt from Video Game Perfection also has the same TV as me with no issues with 480p. Anyway, I only have issues with 480p content. I haven’t tried 480i enough to know whether I have issues there as well.
I’ve tried everything I can think of from bypassing my gscart switcher and connecting it directly to my OSSC, tried different cables (short and long) and even several HDMI cables, had the OSSC run through a receiver (only difference was that the sound didn’t disappear as the image went black) and I have tried a myriad of different settings – but nothing has helped…

Lately I’ve focused on trying to get my Dreamcast stable. I’ve played around with tons of settings, since I first thought it was an optimal timings issue – but no matter what I’ve tried it still drops. So I doubt that’s the culprit. I’ve used FBX’s profiles and made my own as well as tried out the standard settings, but nothing works. I’ve also tried to increase the ‘Analog sync Vth’ to max, the ‘Hsync tolerance’ to 10.00-12.30 and the ‘H-PLL Pre-Coast/Post-Coast to 3 respectively, but nothing seems to do the trick.
I should also add that this is my second OSSC, replaced the old one in hope that the first was broken. But no, the new one has the same issue with 480p.

I don’t know what more to test here. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I could try? I really want this to work...

Thanks,
Vira

Have you tried an HDMI splitter Box? One that requires a power supply to work
Have you tried other 480p sources?

Reminds me of the same thing when I try using my Tendak with the OSSC it just doesn't work properly
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I would like to suggest that Sl. alt interval gets automatically disabled when a 240p source is input.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

ViraLicious wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
Vira
What version of the firmware are you running? Do you have your Dreamcast hooked up via VGA or SCART to the OSSC?
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

Shelcoof wrote: Have you tried an HDMI splitter Box? One that requires a power supply to work

Reminds me of the same thing when I try using my Tendak with the OSSC it just doesn't work properly
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried a dedicated HDMI splitter box specifically no. However, I've used my Marantz AVR receiver as an in between - which essentially functions as a splitter. But it didn't help. As I wrote in my original post, the only difference is that the sound doesn't drop when it runs through the receiver, but the image still does.

As I also wrote in my post, I've tried Xbox, PS2 and Wii other than the Dreamcast and they all suffer from drops. It's 480p content in general which appears to be the issue. So it's not console related.

CobraKing wrote: What version of the firmware are you running? Do you have your Dreamcast hooked up via VGA or SCART to the OSSC?
Hi,
I'm running the latest firmware: v0.85. My Dreamcast is running 480p via SCART. I've tried both the TORO box and Retrogamingcables.co.uk's 480p compatible cable, but with no difference. The run from my Dreamcast to my OSSC looks like this: Dreamcast > gscartsw (one of the latest versions with sync regen) > OSSC > TV. I've also tried hooking up the Dreamcast and other 480p consoles directly to the OSSC, but with no change. So no 480p console is stable and free from drops.
CobraKing

Post by CobraKing »

^^^

Forgot to ask but can you try resetting the OSSC to default settings, just choose the Line Options (2x, 3x, etc...) and try to get a stable image before doing any tweaking?

Can you also enable the DTV (or similar) switch under Sampling Option category?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Have you experimented much with your TV settings? Firmware updates? Factory reset? Tried different inputs? Have you tried another TV?

Also what about the PSU on the OSSC? Did you replace that as well when you got a new one?
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Is it the OSSC losing signal? (light turns off/turns red on the device) or is it just your TV? Don't see this in your posts but maybe I'm missing it. This is pretty key to diagnosing the issue since depending on the answer, things to try are totally different.
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

CobraKing wrote:^^^

Forgot to ask but can you try resetting the OSSC to default settings, just choose the Line Options (2x, 3x, etc...) and try to get a stable image before doing any tweaking?

Can you also enable the DTV (or similar) switch under Sampling Option category?
Thanks for the suggestions! Resetting the OSSC is something I can try, but since this is my second one and it's behaving just like my old one I exchanged I am somewhat doubting it will do much I'm afraid. :(

It is set to DTV already. I've also tried with the other options, but it also drops then.

Kez wrote:Have you experimented much with your TV settings? Firmware updates? Factory reset? Tried different inputs? Have you tried another TV?

Also what about the PSU on the OSSC? Did you replace that as well when you got a new one?
I have experimented with my TV's settings quite much yes. But so far nothing I changed has made it more or less stable.
My TV should be up to date with the latest firmware. I can try a factory reset on my TV - at this point I'll try anything!
I also tried different inputs yes, and none work better than the other.
I tried to run my OSSC to a PC monitor and though I might need to experiment with it a bit longer, I didn't notice any drops during my testing.

Yes, we actually exchanged the PSU as well, Matt had the idea to replace the PSU just in case as well since it could've been the issue. Which I thought was a good idea to try. But since the issue has persisted, then I somewhat doubt it's the PSU which is at fault. Especially since 240p content works flawlessly.

NormalFish wrote:Is it the OSSC losing signal? (light turns off/turns red on the device) or is it just your TV? Don't see this in your posts but maybe I'm missing it. This is pretty key to diagnosing the issue since depending on the answer, things to try are totally different.
I believe I noticed that the light blinked red once or twice, but it has been very rare. But yes, I've noticed it. Once when I was playing Halo on my OG Xbox it even lost signal fully (if I remember correctly!). However, I don't think I've ever noticed that the light has ever turned red when I've played on my Dreamcast or other consoles other than the Xbox. Since it's such a fringe case, I am not even sure that it counts. I am almost wondering if it's something with the TV. But I would also find that odd, since the LG OLED series seems to be a very compatible in general with the OSSC. Matt form VGP has the same model and apparently 480p works flawlessly for him.
Last edited by ViraLicious on Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

Could be an irregularity between TVs of the same model.
matt

Post by matt »

ViraLicious wrote: Ever since I bought my new OLED LG C9 and OSSC last year I’ve had issues with 480p content. No matter the source, be it from my Dreamcast, Wii, Xbox or PS2 – I get frequent dropouts. The drops occur at random, sometimes after an hour or more of playing and other times just after booting up the system. Both the sound and image disappear for 1-2 seconds.
I have the same issue with my setup. I don't think it's the OSSC's fault. My C9 does the same thing with my Xbox 360 (straight HDMI) if I set the console to 480. The C9 only does this if it's set to "game" mode - with other settings the sync drop problem disappears, but the picture looks bad and is laggy.

I fixed the problem by changing the number of active lines in the "advanced timing" settings. For some reason, my C9 doesn't like HDMI inputs with 480 lines. Change "v active" to 476 and the picture will be stable. Of course this is longer true integer scaling, but the C9 does an awesome job of compensating and you won't notice the difference.

480x2 has never given me this problem, and I prefer it for most native 480p games. 480p x2 with scanlines is how I usually run my Dreamcast and Gamecube - one of the nice things about the C9 is that it processes the OSSC's 960p scanlines perfectly.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

ViraLicious wrote:
Shelcoof wrote: Have you tried an HDMI splitter Box? One that requires a power supply to work

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried a dedicated HDMI splitter box specifically no. However, I've used my Marantz AVR receiver as an in between - which essentially functions as a splitter. But it didn't help. As I wrote in my original post, the only difference is that the sound doesn't drop when it runs through the receiver, but the image still does.

As I also wrote in my post, I've tried Xbox, PS2 and Wii other than the Dreamcast and they all suffer from drops. It's 480p content in general which appears to be the issue. So it's not console related.
Best thing you can do is try variable configurations to see what the culprit is. Try using the OSSC on different display if you can and compare.
ViraLicious

Post by ViraLicious »

matt wrote:
ViraLicious wrote: Ever since I bought my new OLED LG C9 and OSSC last year I’ve had issues with 480p content. No matter the source, be it from my Dreamcast, Wii, Xbox or PS2 – I get frequent dropouts. The drops occur at random, sometimes after an hour or more of playing and other times just after booting up the system. Both the sound and image disappear for 1-2 seconds.
I have the same issue with my setup. I don't think it's the OSSC's fault. My C9 does the same thing with my Xbox 360 (straight HDMI) if I set the console to 480. The C9 only does this if it's set to "game" mode - with other settings the sync drop problem disappears, but the picture looks bad and is laggy.

I fixed the problem by changing the number of active lines in the "advanced timing" settings. For some reason, my C9 doesn't like HDMI inputs with 480 lines. Change "v active" to 476 and the picture will be stable. Of course this is longer true integer scaling, but the C9 does an awesome job of compensating and you won't notice the difference.

480x2 has never given me this problem, and I prefer it for most native 480p games. 480p x2 with scanlines is how I usually run my Dreamcast and Gamecube - one of the nice things about the C9 is that it processes the OSSC's 960p scanlines perfectly.
That is very interesting! So 480p from Xbox 360 gives the same kind of drops? And game mode seems to be the culprit? I got to experiment a bit more with other modes as it seems then. However, it appears our TV's differ from one another. Because 480x2 doesn't seem to work for me either.

Would you mind providing me with your TV's settings and how you've set up your OSSC profile etc? I would very much appreciate it! So I can test whether or not it works for me.

I also think I will contact LG about this and see if I can report this as a firmware bug.
matt

Post by matt »

ViraLicious wrote:That is very interesting! So 480p from Xbox 360 gives the same kind of drops? And game mode seems to be the culprit? I got to experiment a bit more with other modes as it seems then. However, it appears our TV's differ from one another. Because 480x2 doesn't seem to work for me either.

Would you mind providing me with your TV's settings and how you've set up your OSSC profile etc? I would very much appreciate it! So I can test whether or not it works for me.

I also think I will contact LG about this and see if I can report this as a firmware bug.
I'll look up my TV & OSSC settings and PM you so as not to clog up the thread.

I don't remember having much problems, if any, with 480 x2. If anything I may have just had to adjust the sampling phase. I did run into the same trouble with 240x2 as I did with 480p passthrough.

It might be a good idea to try some other 480p devices and see if you can duplicate the problem. I imagine it would be easier to get a response from LG concerning a mainstream device like the Xbox vs something weird like the OSSC that they're unlikely to care about.
TyMiles2012

Post by TyMiles2012 »

Does anyone have experience with this passed through a Crestron HD-Scaler? I ordered one to use with either my Elgato HD60S or Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K. I currently use a USB3HDCAP, but it doesn't have passthrough which would be helpful for me to play 6th gen systems in 480p as I would prefer since my PVM only supports 240p/480i, and it gets finicky especially with resolution switching, causing my video feed to fall a whole second behind my audio, so I figured a scaler that has a consistent 1080p output will be very helpful. There's surprisingly next to zero info on this scaler, but I've seen a YouTube video where 5X works, plus I recall someone saying on this forum that it has very little to no lag. This scaler is VERY common on eBay and doesn't break the bank like those Edge DVDO's do.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I own a C9 too as it happens and when ViraLicious reported this I spent some time trying to replicate it. So far nothing.

C9 is in Game mode
OSSC is on HDMI 4 direct, no HDMI switch
C9 is running latest EU firmware
Audio is out via EARC
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
futuremoves

Post by futuremoves »

Harrumph wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:is it possible for ossc to apply an hq2x filter?
Yes. Redguy implemented filters more than a year ago. Unfortunately, due to size constraints at the time, they had to be released in an alternate firmware. Now that the softcore has been changed, filters can probably be added to the main FW.
There is a link to the alternate FW at VGP:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... s-feature/
Hi. I am VERY interested in using the Redguy custom firmware with my OSSC for my dedicated PS1 setup. Unfortunately, the files are no longer available on Github and I cannot located any of the firmwares anywhere on the internet. Would you or anyone happen to have the last firmware ossc_0.77-rg0d.bin, or even an earlier, release you could provide a download link to?

Thank you
futuremoves

Post by futuremoves »

Harrumph wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:is it possible for ossc to apply an hq2x filter?
Yes. Redguy implemented filters more than a year ago. Unfortunately, due to size constraints at the time, they had to be released in an alternate firmware. Now that the softcore has been changed, filters can probably be added to the main FW.
There is a link to the alternate FW at VGP:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... s-feature/
I was hoping to try the custom firmware from Redguy but his Github OSSC page no longer exists and I have scoured the internet but haven't found it anywhere. Could someone who still has a copy of his last firmware ossc_0.77-rg0d.bin be kind enough to provide a downloadable link? I would take an earlier one as well. I have a dedicated PS1 OSSC setup and love the look of the filter in his firmware for the PS1.

Thanks
naz

Post by naz »

Hi, I did try that filter, but didn't like it (I ended up using custom scanlines for the look I wanted).

Here is a link of the file (it will be up for 7 days)

https://easyupload.io/bpl0yj

Cheers!
futuremoves

Post by futuremoves »

naz wrote:Hi, I did try that filter, but didn't like it (I ended up using custom scanlines for the look I wanted).

Here is a link of the file (it will be up for 7 days)

https://easyupload.io/bpl0yj

Cheers!
Thank you so much! Extremely kind of you to provide the upload. I never thought I would see this firmware and can't wait to try it. I am very interested in trying to minimize the scanline look with the PS1 by incorporating some type of smoothing like you see with Retrotink 2x. Is there a way to do this with the OSSC using custom scanline settings in the current firmware?

Thanks again!
naz

Post by naz »

No big deal, try to share a few pictures if you can.

About the scanlines, you can check what I was able to get a few post back, here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52158&start=6630

Sometimes I like a consumer look (this being a setting with both horizontal and vertical scanline) and others I like a pvm look (no vertical scanlines, but with a variable width on the horizontal scanlines, like a drawing). For the rounder look I use generic and I guess the tv does some softening too (if you go with optimal timing, everything looks too blocky like an emulator).

Scanlines are great for early 3d 240p consoles (like ps1 and n64) and even thin scanlines for 480p consoles (ps2 and dreamcast).
Colback

Post by Colback »

Does anyone here know a device that can add compatibility with the following 5x modes : 1600×1200 and 1980×1200.

I already own a DVDO Edge to improve compatibility with my Panasonic 4K set, so any device that can do framerate conversion and support those resolutions should do the trick I suppose.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Extron DSC 301 HD. Works beautifully with all input resolutions. The only problematic source is SNES without a dejitter mod on it.
naz

Post by naz »

By the way, what are the uses of this resolutions???

5x modes : 1600×1200 and 1980×1200

If the console is 320x240, then times 5 gives 1600x1200, so when do you use 1980x1200?? (in my tv it just make the image wider, whit a wrong aspect ratio).
Colback

Post by Colback »

For compatibility reason because my setup does not allow it and 352x240 PCE games. The main goal is to get the 1600x1200 mode to display on my 4K set, the 1080p mode is astounding but too many lines are missing.

Thank’s Fudoh, so in theory this Extron device can be feed the off spec 1600x1200 of the OSSC and output it at 1600x1200 at 59.94hz ? Is the Extron able to sync with some of the more exotic refresh rate (Neo Geo, modded Pal consoles) ?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Thank’s Fudoh, so in theory this Extron device can be feed the off spec 1600x1200 of the OSSC and output it at 1600x1200 at 59.94hz?
yes. What source do you have in mind? Usually the refresh isn't the problem for your display, but the signal timing specs are (due to the OSSC's very limited possibilities to create standard timings), so you can always try 1600x1200 from the 301 first with frame rate lock enabled. This usually already solves all incompatibilities. And if required you can unlock the output for a stadard refresh rate as well of course.
Is the Extron able to sync with some of the more exotic refresh rate (Neo Geo, modded Pal consoles) ?
Should all be fine. I haven't tried a MVS, but enough other stuff and everything so far worked flawlessly.
Colback

Post by Colback »

In my case the source would be the OSSC’s 1600x1200 output with off specs timing. If it’s not a matter of refresh rate then the Extron 301 HD should output a 1600x1200 signal with standard timing ? I have a Lacie Electron that would be pleased. But as my 4K set in not 1600x1200 friendly I doubt it will be of any help. I see that the Extron DSC 301 HD can scale up to 2048x1080 but this is pretty rare to find a 4K set compatible with that resolution as well and should result in cropping if I understand the nature of this scaler correctly. Sad that I can’t take the CRT route things would be so much simpler
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I don't really understand why your Lacie would have a problem with any kind of timing. That's a CRT, right? What's the issue?

Is there are reason why you want to use 5x in the first place ? If you don't have the possibility to display that output natively (in other words: you're going to rescale the output anyway), then you can just as well use 4x. Or you output 5x into the 301, downscale (or crop) to 1080p and feed that signal to your 4K display.
Colback

Post by Colback »

For the Lacie I just have a crappy DAC, he don’t like the OSSC 1600x1200 output for some reason even if it is the native resolution of the screen. Is it possible to downscale 1600x1200 to 1080p ? For my choice of 5x mode it’s the extra sharpness that I like, but it sound like it’s not feasible but I’m no expert. Guess I will stick to 4x mode. Thanks again Fudoh