OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sid

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Sid »

Anyone else have the experience of 4x mode being significantly brighter than the other line modes? I've tried on several different displays with the same results on each. It doesn't matter for the screens that accept 3x and 5x but I have a Panasonic that otherwise does no better than 2x. As far as I can tell it's just simple brightness that can be countered on the display itself - so it's not a big deal, I just found it curious. Note - both the OSSC's masking (if black, I don't think that coloured masks are any different) and the game image are affected.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

For reference here is a capture in Line5X Generic 4:3 mode from a SNES Jr which has a simple RGB mod (from the S-RGB chip). Video LPF 9MHz causes slight ringing so this was taken with Video LPF 16Mhz. The cable used is RetroGamingCables Universal SNES.

Click through and download the original .png images to get the complete sharpness. I see no ringing at all.

Zoomed in:
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

paulb_nl wrote:For reference here is a capture in Line5X Generic 4:3 mode from a SNES Jr which has a simple RGB mod (from the S-RGB chip). Video LPF 9MHz causes slight ringing so this was taken with Video LPF 16Mhz. The cable used is RetroGamingCables Universal SNES.

Click through and download the original .png images to get the complete sharpness. I see no ringing at all.

Zoomed in:
Thanks for sharing captures. I went ahead and got some matching shots with a few configurations and mine definitely looks worse. I also have a SNES Jr. with Voultar's RGB mod board. Line x5 on all. Captured with a Datapash Vision E1S.

Generic - https://i.imgur.com/I2eqjw5.png
Zoom
Spoiler
Generic 16MHz LPF - https://i.imgur.com/ZLjsR0j.png
Zoom
Spoiler
Optimized 256 - https://i.imgur.com/AWq9jHG.png
Zoom
Spoiler
Mind sharing your generic profile .bin from an SD card dump?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

bobrocks95 wrote: Thanks for sharing captures. I went ahead and got some matching shots with a few configurations and mine definitely looks worse. I also have a SNES Jr. with Voultar's RGB mod board. Line x5 on all. Captured with a Datapash Vision E1S.
To me it looks like you have Reverse LPF turned on. That's the only setting that can cause what I am seeing in the generic captures. Have you tried to Reset settings and start fresh?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

paulb_nl wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: Thanks for sharing captures. I went ahead and got some matching shots with a few configurations and mine definitely looks worse. I also have a SNES Jr. with Voultar's RGB mod board. Line x5 on all. Captured with a Datapash Vision E1S.
To me it looks like you have Reverse LPF turned on. That's the only setting that can cause what I am seeing in the generic captures. Have you tried to Reset settings and start fresh?
Reverse LPF is off. Sync LPF on max, video LPF on Auto (changing either didn't seem to matter)

PCE Generic (noise on solid colors too... Kind of getting tired of troubleshooting the OSSC at this point lol)
Spoiler
Spoiler
N64 Generic
Spoiler
Spoiler
Saturn Generic - probably the best looking out of the box, still some ringing when you look closely (it's a bit better on the capture than on my display)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Resetting the profile gave similar results. All consoles seem to have a bit of horizontal jitter/wobble in generic mode, though it's not too noticeable from a normal distance.

Is it time to ping marqs or videogameperfection? Again I'll say I just figured this is what generic looked like and people dealt with it, but now I'm kinda jealous... Waiting on the Pixel FX Morph but with part shortages I feel like it'll slip into next year most likely.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

bobrocks95 wrote: Reverse LPF is off. Sync LPF on max, video LPF on Auto (changing either didn't seem to matter)

PCE Generic (noise on solid colors too... Kind of getting tired of troubleshooting the OSSC at this point lol)
That posterization noise is usually only visible when the Capture format in the Vision capture software is not set to 8-8-8. It resets to 5-6-5 sometimes.

The N64 is difficult to compare because of the inherent N64 blur.
bobrocks95 wrote: Resetting the profile gave similar results. All consoles seem to have a bit of horizontal jitter/wobble in generic mode, though it's not too noticeable from a normal distance.
Slight jitter/wobble seems to be normal with the OSSC.
Is it time to ping marqs or videogameperfection? Again I'll say I just figured this is what generic looked like and people dealt with it, but now I'm kinda jealous... Waiting on the Pixel FX Morph but with part shortages I feel like it'll slip into next year most likely.
It does seem there is something wrong with your OSSC if we compare our SNES captures with Video LPF 16Mhz. Video LPF at Auto(9Mhz) does have some ringing here too.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

paulb_nl wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: Reverse LPF is off. Sync LPF on max, video LPF on Auto (changing either didn't seem to matter)

That posterization noise is usually only visible when the Capture format in the Vision capture software is not set to 8-8-8. It resets to 5-6-5 sometimes.

The N64 is difficult to compare because of the inherent N64 blur.
bobrocks95 wrote: Resetting the profile gave similar results. All consoles seem to have a bit of horizontal jitter/wobble in generic mode, though it's not too noticeable from a normal distance.
Slight jitter/wobble seems to be normal with the OSSC.
It does seem there is something wrong with your OSSC if we compare our SNES captures with Video LPF 16Mhz. Video LPF at Auto(9Mhz) does have some ringing here too.
Ah the 5-6-5 is my bad, it looks like Vision Window likes to reset to that every time I open it actually.

For N64 that's Tim's board with borti's VI deblur firmware applied. So that's with the de-blur on. With the de-blur off 2D elements look much blurrier obviously, but that ringing is constant for both. I'd think that's fair enough to compare if anyone has a similar setup and wants to chime in, I can throw up any game from the library you prefer I was just looking for clean 2D elements.

In optimized sampling mode the OSSC is sampling at half horizontal resolution already I believe, so de-blur on/off just shifts the picture horizontally a bit.
FBX

Post by FBX »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Ah the 5-6-5 is my bad, it looks like Vision Window likes to reset to that every time I open it actually.
Was about to post that's what that noise was. If you start the OSSC first and then open the Vision window, it will stay at 8-8-8. Otherwise, it will jump to 5-6-5 on detection of the OSSC signal being activated.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Nrg wrote:Here's the "July 2021 update" question of what are the best OSSC compatible displays that are available to buy as new atm?
- Are VX3276-mhd or VX3276-mhd-2 still the "best" 32" displays?
- How about 27" displays?
- And 24" displays?

Must be compatible with all OSSC modes, including line5x mode, and support both PAL and NTSC machines. Good aspect ratio controls hopefully too :)

Thanks!
I believe the TCL 65R625 can still be purchased new. I have that model, and the recent firmware update for it added in integer scaling for 720p and 1080p upscaled content when the input is labeled as 'Computer'. The slight caveat is actual 1080 artwork (like say from a computer in 1080p res mode) will encounter a 'threshold' filter that smooths contrasting edges. This does not affect upscaled low-res content on a 1080p footprint like what comes from the OSSC. Everything I've thrown at that display works no sweat, though I don't have any 50Hz crap to test.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

When using my OSSC with certain monitors, I will get a signal drop that is long enough to make my monitor go into sleep mode and then turn back on when the signal is active. Obviously, this is not good for a CRT monitor.

I am using a passive HDMI to VGA adapter (Porrta). Would a EDID minder/emulator work to prevent the sleep mode from kicking in and, if so, am I looking for one that goes between the VGA connection out to the monitor or between the HDMI cable that feeds the HDMI to VGA adapter?
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
orange808

Post by orange808 »

thchardcore wrote:When using my OSSC with certain monitors, I will get a signal drop that is long enough to make my monitor go into sleep mode and then turn back on when the signal is active. Obviously, this is not good for a CRT monitor.

I am using a passive HDMI to VGA adapter (Porrta). Would a EDID minder/emulator work to prevent the sleep mode from kicking in and, if so, am I looking for one that goes between the VGA connection out to the monitor or between the HDMI cable that feeds the HDMI to VGA adapter?
No such thing as a passive DAC.

Is it only specific sources? Is there a 1080p or 4k source trying to feed the monitor when the OSSC drops out? How many (if there were any) CRT PC monitors even use EDID? It's more likely that there really is a signal that is out of the CRT's range.

If it's a random occurrence with no specific source, it could be related to your gear. I'd try a DAC with it's own power supply or a (different?) HDMI splitter. In my experience, gear with it's own power supply almost always outperforms stuff that draws from the HDMI cord. Also, Porrta is cheap Chinese gear and the brand name alone doesn't tell us much. I hear dirt cheap Chinese stuff is a lottery and you never know what's inside. I know it's cliche, but the HDFury Nano GX is in my chain at the moment. It doesn't drop.

Also, just how many devices are in the chain that draw power from the HDMi cord? Have you got a switch or splitter in there with no power supply?
We apologise for the inconvenience
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

orange808 wrote:How many (if there were any) CRT PC monitors even use EDID?
Lots of them, the first version of the standard is from 1994.
thchardcore wrote:Would a EDID minder/emulator work to prevent the sleep mode from kicking in
No, an EDID minder only supplies the source with an EDID block of the user's choice. Your monitor goes into sleep mode because one or both of the sync signals are inactive for more than a certain amount of time, which has for a long time been used by PCs to signal the monitor to go to standby for power saving. Some monitors have an OSD option to disable this or change the time until they accept that signal, if yours does not you'll have to find another way to reduce the length of the sync dropout.
Super Joe

Post by Super Joe »

Just picked up an OSSC, nice piece of kit, but it’s not allowing me to import firebrands settings using the online profile. Followed the instructions to the tee, but every time I insert in to the ossc, it doesn’t recognise any profiles. I picked up a 2gb micro card from a little research, but still nothing. Can anyone offer any clues to what I’m doing wrong ?
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

orange808 wrote:
thchardcore wrote:When using my OSSC with certain monitors, I will get a signal drop that is long enough to make my monitor go into sleep mode and then turn back on when the signal is active. Obviously, this is not good for a CRT monitor.

No such thing as a passive DAC.

Is it only specific sources? Is there a 1080p or 4k source trying to feed the monitor when the OSSC drops out? How many (if there were any) CRT PC monitors even use EDID? It's more likely that there really is a signal that is out of the CRT's range.

If it's a random occurrence with no specific source, it could be related to your gear. I'd try a DAC with it's own power supply or a (different?) HDMI splitter. In my experience, gear with it's own power supply almost always outperforms stuff that draws from the HDMI cord. Also, Porrta is cheap Chinese gear and the brand name alone doesn't tell us much. I hear dirt cheap Chinese stuff is a lottery and you never know what's inside. I know it's cliche, but the HDFury Nano GX is in my chain at the moment. It doesn't drop.

Also, just how many devices are in the chain that draw power from the HDMi cord? Have you got a switch or splitter in there with no power supply?
Thank you both. I see the issue only on Final Fantasy V for SFC when going into random battles. Using DVI output versus HDMI reduced it enough for the monitor to mostly remain active.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Super Joe wrote:Just picked up an OSSC, nice piece of kit, but it’s not allowing me to import firebrands settings using the online profile.
Did you update the OSSC firmware? If not there may be a mismatch between the firmware version and the profiles version.
Melt the Guns

Post by Melt the Guns »

The problem seems to be the OSSC not reading the card. Tried three different cards to install the update, doesn’t read any of them.
Melt the Guns

Post by Melt the Guns »

I’m super joe as well as melt the guns !
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

What FW version is your OSSC on at the moment?
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Hi folks, how are y'all doing?
I've been away for the longest time, and just recently I had the chance to get back and do some retrogaming (new job, less free time... Usual business really).
It's awesome to see this thread is still alive, and I'm super excited about the news regarding the OSSC Pro eventually coming to life.

It wouldn't be me without a monitor-related question, so... Here it is!

I'd like to upgrade my retro display, from my actiual 1080p VG275 Asus TN monitor, to whatever 4k solution might be currently the most recommended.

I come back from an era (2019 I guess) where technical caveats - like image retention with 480i content being an issue with IPS panels - were a factor to keep in mind while picking up a monitor over another one.
If there are already threads about the same topic, feel free to redirect me, as I don't wish to drive you all OT on here.

Thank you all so much in advance! ^_-
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Melt the Guns wrote:The problem seems to be the OSSC not reading the card. Tried three different cards to install the update, doesn’t read any of them.
How are you writing the profiles to the card? Are you just copying them over, or using a tool like Disk Imager to cook to the SD card?
Super Joe

Post by Super Joe »

SavagePencil wrote:
Melt the Guns wrote:The problem seems to be the OSSC not reading the card. Tried three different cards to install the update, doesn’t read any of them.
How are you writing the profiles to the card? Are you just copying them over, or using a tool like Disk Imager to cook to the SD card?
Using win disk. The sd card slot seems pretty loose, could be faulty. Managed to get the OSSC to display the message “image failed” which was progress ! Tried again and reverted back to no card message. Gonna send back and try a replacement model.
WobblingPixels

Post by WobblingPixels »

Currently working on OSSC PAL optimal timings profiles and some that are missing: PS1 640x240 games like Bushido Blade, Soul Blade/Edge, Clock Tower, Battle Arena Toshiden etc
Have to make some more tweaking and testing. I will post my updates here soon.

Here some screenshots:

N64 PAL

Full size:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9Le-_EXMAE ... =4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9LfA8wXMAQ ... =4096x4096

640x240:

Full size: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E9QqYCeXoAc ... =4096x4096

WobblingPixels

Post by WobblingPixels »

Currently working on PAL OSSC optimal timings. Also on some missing PS1 optimal timings for 640x240 games. I will post my updates here soon just need more testing and tweaking.

N64 PAL:
https://i.ibb.co/HzZK5PZ/osssc1.png

Soul Blade PS1 NTSC:
https://i.ibb.co/zrZjZ07/soul.jpg
Blair

Post by Blair »

Hi everyone, I made a thread about 480i optimal timings on the OSSC. bit of a long post (and work in progress) to keep the main thread tidy check it here. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69000
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

ross wrote:Is there any way to allow upsample2x in 480p passthrough mode? Essentially output a 1440x480 image?
Yes, just double all horizontal parameters (samplerate, active etc) in advanced timings.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

So, I recently got a 1080p Panasonic plasma TV, and apparently these things are picky as hell w/ the OSSC (have read other people's difficulties with 'em).

I have no qualms with chaining the OSSC w/ another processor... but I'm kinda at a loss for what to do since I have several options! I have some non-gaming ones, but I also have a GBS Control unit. That would be a tad annoying as I'd need to do HDMI to component or VGA (w/ sync combiner, potentially, if the GBS unit wigs out) and then a VGA to HDMI on the GBS's output... but I also have an Aurora Dido LT that has the option for both DVI-D in & out.

I guess my main question is 'what resolution and signal (i.e. the DVI mode on OSSC...? That one looks best on the plasma for sure) should I be sending out of the OSSC into this secondary unit (which I will have set for 1920x1080p)'?

...but then I am also considering chaining the GBSC *before* the OSSC, with that I could do 1080p with the OSSC on passthrough. Or GBS at forced 15kHz/OSSC doing the line multiplying! Agggh the choices
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

I'm trying to connect Rgbs + ground from JAMMA into my ossc SCART input.

I used a male SCART cable to BNC RGBs and lopped the BNC off.

I assumed the outer wires were video ground and first tied Video ground from green BNC wire into Video gound on the Jamma wire.

I tied each wire into its appropriate channel on Jamma.

I cannot get my Jamma to Sync with the OSSC on AV1 input.

Im not using a Supergun and am wondering if their is a way I can get my JAMMA to sync through my SCART cable?

I checked voltages on my JAMMA edge and my volts are good.

How can I get my jamma to sync with the OSSC?
Copyright 1987
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Have you checked the direction of sync? If it’s on pin 19 the cable is made for scart-> bnc, in that case move it to pin 20 so it becomes output instead.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Harrumph wrote:Have you checked the direction of sync? If it’s on pin 19 the cable is made for scart-> bnc, in that case move it to pin 20 so it becomes output instead.
No I just ASSumed it was output because it was a male SCART. I’ll crack it open. Thanks Harrumph
Copyright 1987
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Hoagtech wrote:
Harrumph wrote:Have you checked the direction of sync? If it’s on pin 19 the cable is made for scart-> bnc, in that case move it to pin 20 so it becomes output instead.
No I just ASSumed it was output because it was a male SCART. I’ll crack it open. Thanks Harrumph
PM'ed you.