OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
H6rdc0re

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by H6rdc0re »

Galdelico wrote:Maybe some Euro folk can help me understand this quirk.

With my PAL original XBOX, it happens that I get a random (as in, it happens once in a while, but consistently) temporary 'black screen', when I exit from a PAL60 game and return to the PAL50 system's dashboard. Usually, the resync takes a second or two, but in that case the wait is way longer (around 15 seconds). It's not a proper sync drop, because the signal comes back on its own, it just takes more time.

It also occurs - once again, pretty randomly and less frequently - when I boot a PAL50 game from the PAL50 dashboard. In this case, though, the screen remains black. If I press any button on the remote, that brings video back to normal.

It's not a huge deal of course, I'm just curious about what can cause this. It happens with stock settings and tweaked profiles, it doesn't seem to be connected to that. Nothing like that happens with my PAL Nintendo GameCube, which does pretty much the same (in the way it swings from in-game PAL60 to PAL50 system's UI). Worth noting that I start noticing this more since I swapped my original Microsoft RGB Scart cable with a C-Sync one from Retrogamingcables.uk (btw, I use the same kind of cable with the GC too).

Thanks in advance! ^_-
Softmod that Xbox. This way you can region switch it to NTSC and force 480p, 720p and even 1080i. Even with your "PAL" games. Every Xbox contains the NTSC code on PAL discs.

It's very easy and is a waste if you don't.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Galdelico wrote:With my PAL original XBOX, it happens that I get a random (as in, it happens once in a while, but consistently) temporary 'black screen', when I exit from a PAL60 game and return to the PAL50 system's dashboard. Usually, the resync takes a second or two, but in that case the wait is way longer (around 15 seconds). It's not a proper sync drop, because the signal comes back on its own, it just takes more time.

It also occurs - once again, pretty randomly and less frequently - when I boot a PAL50 game from the PAL50 dashboard. In this case, though, the screen remains black. If I press any button on the remote, that brings video back to normal.
You might want to try "Full TX setup" in OSSC compatibility options in your display permanently loses picture during a mode switch.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

nmalinoski wrote:Loss of sync, and thus video, is a pretty common problem with HDMI and video mode changes; it's particularly bad for consoles like the SNES, N64, PS, and PS2, where game menus are in 480i and gameplay is in 240p. Unfortunately, there really isn't much you can do about it.

Probably the best way to prevent dropouts is to use a presentation scaler/switcher, but that comes with its own problems, like full-time framerate conversion to 50Hz or 60Hz, depending on what you set the output to, and added lag from the framerate conversion and scaling.

That said, it's unusual that your TV would go black and stay that way. Have you tried using your Xbox and OSSC on a different HDMI display to see if it exhibits the same behavior under the same circumstances?
Thanks!
Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using an Asus PC monitor - not a TV - and that I'm aware of the screen 'pauses' during mode/resolution changes. This one, though, is kinda odd because it lasts noticeably longer than usual, but it gets back to normal, eventually. And to reply to Marqs:
marqs wrote:You might want to try "Full TX setup" in OSSC compatibility options in your display permanently loses picture during a mode switch.
Thank you too! I'll try that option anyway, even though the permanent drops only occur very rarely and only (as weird as it sounds) when a PAL50 game loads straight from the PAL50 dashboard. Rather odd, isn't it?

All that said:
H6rdc0re wrote:Softmod that Xbox. This way you can region switch it to NTSC and force 480p, 720p and even 1080i. Even with your "PAL" games. Every Xbox contains the NTSC code on PAL discs.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering that now. I've always assumed it would mess with some games, or forced me to use backups (which I don't really want to, as I like to use original games), but it seems that it won't be the case, right? I still can't imagine how such a mod will work with PAL50-only games - there are a few of them - but hey, should be easy enough to track down a few NTSC-UC replacements, nowadays. :)
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Galdelico wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote:Softmod that Xbox. This way you can region switch it to NTSC and force 480p, 720p and even 1080i. Even with your "PAL" games. Every Xbox contains the NTSC code on PAL discs.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering that now. I've always assumed it would mess with some games, or forced me to use backups (which I don't really want to, as I like to use original games), but it seems that it won't be the case, right? I still can't imagine how such a mod will work with PAL50-only games - there are a few of them - but hey, should be easy enough to track down a few NTSC-UC replacements, nowadays. :)
In my limited experience, Xbox games aren't tightly coupled to their region like PS2 games are, and a game that might otherwise be PAL50-only does not force the console into PAL 50Hz output, like the PS and PS2 would.

I've played all three Dancing Stage Unleashed games, none of which are PAL60-compatible, along with a handful of other PAL-region games, on my NTSC Xbox at 480p@60Hz (or is it 720p@60Hz? It's been a while), just as if they were the NTSC variants. Games just seem to play in whatever video region your console is set to, not unlike a typical PC.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

H6rdc0re wrote: Even with your "PAL" games. Every Xbox contains the NTSC code on PAL discs.
that's awesome. I wish ps2 was the same. there are a lot of 50hz only localizations
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:
H6rdc0re wrote: Even with your "PAL" games. Every Xbox contains the NTSC code on PAL discs.
that's awesome. I wish ps2 was the same. there are a lot of 50hz only localizations
There's possibly an HDMI mod coming for the PS and PS2. There aren't really any details at this time, so curb your expectations; but I'm hoping it'll have something that will address this.

I'm really hoping it'll be like the UltraHDMI, which has an optional scaler that provides full-time framerate conversion to your choice of 480p, 576p, 720p, or 1080p at 50Hz or 60Hz; it only adds about a frame of lag, it would let people in NTSC regions play PAL games, at the correct speeds, without needing a display that supports PAL (would let you display NTSC 60Hz stuff on a 50Hz panel, but multi-format equipment is more common in PAL regions), and it wouldn't drop sync during mode changes (very important for PS and PS2 games).
marqs

Post by marqs »

It's been a while since last update, but fw 0.82 is out now.

* automatic input detection feature added
* profile import feature with naming support added
* number of profile slots increased to 15
* GBI 360p presets added
* 512x240 optimized mode added
* some adv. timing parameter limits increased
James-F

Post by James-F »

Thank you very much!
Kez

Post by Kez »

Wow, this is huge! Excellent work! :D
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Amazing.
And 5 additional profile slots added? Already life-changing, for me personally. Thank you!
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

For the OSSC 1.6, is the HDMI chip inside 1.4 or 2.0?

marqs wrote:It's been a while since last update, but fw 0.82 is out now.
I know that "ossc_0.82.bin" is to update, but what are all these 3 additional files for:

ossc_0.82-aud.bin
ossc_0.82-aud_jp.bin
ossc_0.82-jp.bin

?
Last edited by Lawfer on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Specially to confuse folks who don't check the documentation! http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... are_update
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

BuckoA51 wrote:Specially to confuse folks who don't check the documentation! http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... are_update
I don't need japanese translation, so I am guessing I only need the following:

ossc_0.82.bin
ossc_0.82-aud.bin

Correct?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

just one. Either for OSSCs with or without audio.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:just one. Either for OSSCs with or without audio.
My OSSC is 1.6 and has audio in/out, so I guess I just need the "ossc_0.82-aud.bin" then, thank you very much.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You need the _AUD version if you have digital audio processing on the OSSC, meaning you either got a DVI version with additional audio board installed or if you got the HDMI version.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:You need the _AUD version if you have digital audio processing on the OSSC, meaning you either got a DVI version with additional audio board installed or if you got the HDMI version.
I have the HDMI version, I can get analog audio digitized for HDMI out by hooking audio through scart or 3.5mm.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

marqs wrote: * automatic input detection feature added
This right here takes the cake for me! Hope it works!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Are the new 2018 LG OLEDs as compatible with the OSSC as the 2017 models were? From the C model and up these new TVs have a new processor, hence the question :)
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

* GBI 360p presets added
Amazing!!!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Are the new 2018 LG OLEDs as compatible with the OSSC as the 2017 models were?
yes, they are (at least as far as the 55" C8 goes).
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Konsolkongen wrote:Are the new 2018 LG OLEDs as compatible with the OSSC as the 2017 models were? From the C model and up these new TVs have a new processor, hence the question :)
On a German forum a user reports lots of dropouts with an SNES and OSSC in 4x/5x mode on a 55" C8 LG and rare, short dropouts even in 3x mode.
Last edited by Unseen on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

* GBI 360p presets added
is this version using the new CPU core?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Fudoh wrote:
Are the new 2018 LG OLEDs as compatible with the OSSC as the 2017 models were?
yes, they are (at least as far as the 55" C8 goes).
Thanks. The SNES issue should be fixable with the dejitter mod, right?
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Unseen wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:Are the new 2018 LG OLEDs as compatible with the OSSC as the 2017 models were? From the C model and up these new TVs have a new processor, hence the question :)
On a German forum a user reports lots of dropouts with an SNES and OSSC in 4x/5x mode on a 55" C8 LG and rare, short dropouts even in 3x mode.
I'd dealt with the dropouts issue on LG sets before and I'll bet money he's got some combination of a bad HDMI cable and/or ground loop going on.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

That’s certainly a possibility. I’ve had issues like that on my C7 too.
FBX

Post by FBX »

I made the first set of import profiles for the OSSC with custom labels (sans the last slot as I didn't use it). Please note that I found in my particular case I have to make Win32DiskImager write the file TWICE to the card before my OSSC will recognize the data (at least for firmware updates). So I always do this for profile imports as well. Also please note the 32X profile is tied to HD Retrovision cables, while the others are tied to RGBS SCART input.

As usual, sampling phase, H. backporch, and V. backporch are random variables on a console/cable case-by-case basis, so you may still need to adjust these for your given setup. Here's the import file link:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/oss ... es_fbx.zip

Simply go into the settings option and look for the import function.

Cheers!

-FBX
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

bobrocks95 wrote:Ah, my bad, I'm now reading that a signal pulse can be sent over the luma (green) line to indicate widescreen mode for devices that will look for it. That seems to be the only signal that it can send however, so it's not nearly as extensive as HDMI metadata.

However, the same resolution of 720x480 is still going to be output, so the OSSC doesn't need to change its sampling or anything like that (assuming you're in DTV mode). It still falls to how the display handles a 960p image. I don't see anything on the OSSC wiki indicating that you can change the metadata it sends to indicate widescreen or fullscreen, though I would have thought that would be an option?
It would be really awesome if the OSSC could process the widescreen signaling (WSS) in the vertical blanking interval (VBI) on all inputs and translate that into CTA-861 compliant InfoFrame aspect ratio signalling. Section "4.1 Aspect Ratio" of CTA-861-G outlines how things should be handled between the AVI InfoFrame and the TV.
Harrumph wrote:Regarding 4:3/16:9 aspect ratio, I have already made a request to have this selectable via HDMI Infoframe. Though, it is possible this will ignored by most displays anyway, much like most displays seems to ignore the "IT content" Infoframe flag which is already implemented.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... post-23226

Note that such an AR Infoframe flag would not in any way change how OSSC samples and outputs the image, it just contains a bit that says "active frame should be displayed in 4:3/16:9". I imagine this was originally intended for 480p HDMI signals anyway, so then it likely will not have any effect on an unusual format such as 1440x960.
Is there any downside to going all-out on CTA-861-G HDMI infoframes to explicitly flag everything like aspect ratio, RGB color space, full-range color, EOTF (traditional gamma with SDR luminance range), etc? Worst case seems to be some TVs that will ignore the metadata, so might as well enable flagging all this stuff by default? Could even pass display info from the OSSC over HDMI for the display to pick up for devices that support it (Yamaha AVRs will display "NintenoSwitch" on the receiver's front panel display when you plug in a Switch as just one example of this metadata display). Having all this under a master HDMI metadata on/off option would likely be the best UI option.
parodius

Post by parodius »

FBX wrote:I made the first set of import profiles for the OSSC with custom labels (sans the last slot as I didn't use it). Please note that I found in my particular case I have to make Win32DiskImager write the file TWICE to the card before my OSSC will recognize the data (at least for firmware updates).
Excellent, thanks. Worked perfectly for me using Etcher.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

maxtherabbit wrote: is this version using the new CPU core?
I’m curious about this as well. As of this new update, how much free space is left?