OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Fudoh »

Is it possible to downscale 1600x1200 to 1080p ?
yes, you can do that. Not sure if it makes much of a difference to upscaled 4x though. Should be pretty close with a good scaler like the 301.
Sefirosu789

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by Sefirosu789 »

Hey ZellSF,

I'm writing this message in hopes to get some advice about my PSP to Monitor set up after reading your post (below).

What I'm wanting to do is get a full screen good quality image of my PSP on my monitor. From looking at your post, it seems I can do PSP>OSSC (480px2)>DVDO VP50. I've been offered a VP50 for next to nothing and not sure if this set up will work. Is this what you did?

Also, you are using the VP50 not VP50 Pro? does the DVDO VP50 take the 960p (480x2) from the OSSC with no problems? As its not a supported resolution in the manual.

"They don't. 480pX2 doesn't work on a VP50. 480iX3 and 480iX4 doesn't work on a VP50." You also said this in the previous page (133) so I'm a little confused :oops:

I hope you can give me some help

Many thanks

Will

ZellSF wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:
They don't. 480pX2 doesn't work on a VP50. 480iX3 and 480iX4 doesn't work on a VP50.
480px2 works on the Edge, but it looks very oversharpened with lots of saw-tooth edges.

You can get 480px2 working on the 50 Pro for the PSP by playing around a bit:-

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... n_Portable
Oh right, I did read that then forgot all about it. Doesn't help with other 480p consoles, but if anyone's wondering how it looks:

PSP3000 + OSSC + DVDO VP50
PSP3000 + OSSC 480pX2 + DVDO VP50
PSP3000 + OSSC + XRGB-mini in VIDEO mode SHARPNESS 1
PSP3000 + OSSC + XRGB-mini in GAME mode SHARPNESS 1
PSP3000 + OSSC + XRGB-mini H_SCALER 4, V_SCALER 6, SHARPNESS 0
PSP3000 + OSSC 480pX2 + XRGB-mini in GAME mode

That was annoying to set up (adjust five different settings on the OSSC, four on the DVDO VP50). I think both 480pX2 captures look fairly identical outside of color, brightness and zoom settings (captures are more to illustrate sharpness).
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Um, not sure why you're confused, are you not reading things in order? Order of events:

1) I said 480pX2 doesn't work.
2) BuckoA51 said "it does work for the PSP, here are the settings".
3) I posted some screenshots of it working on the PSP.

Those screenshots are what they are labelled as, so PSP 3000 to OSSC outputting at 480pX2 to DVDO VP50 (not Pro).

Other than having to set up the OSSC as linked in what you quoted, and remembering it is a different resolution (and the VP50 likes saving some compatibility options per resolution, that might need to be changed again) there were no problems.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Xyga wrote:Well there's also the VX3276-mhd-2 which is a variant of the same, only with a slim bezel (warning: more prone to backlight bleed), and an additional input (DP) which can be convenient since the VX3211-mh only has one digital input (HDMI)
I managed to find one of these (mine says VX3276-mhd and not VX3276-mhd-2), not sure if they changed their manufacturing, but it looks like my panel has almost 0 back-light bleed. Maybe I just got lucky?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

ick!
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

What do you mean? This is the best I've seen PSP graphics looking on a display other than its own LCD screen.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

tongshadow wrote:What do you mean? This is the best I've seen PSP graphics looking on a display other than its own LCD screen.
The scanlines, not a fan. Is that the nature of the PSTV, or do you have them enabled on the OSSC?
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

Those are just 480p scanlines, every modern PC CRT will show them in 480p sources. Since the PSP has such low resolution, it's better to just passthrough to the display instead of trying to scale it. And PC CRTs are the best when it comes to dealing with low resolutions.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

tongshadow wrote:Those are just 480p scanlines, every modern PC CRT will show them in 480p sources. Since the PSP has such low resolution, it's better to just passthrough to the display instead of trying to scale it. And PC CRTs are the best when it comes to dealing with low resolutions.
The PSTV was made in the HDMI era, so I use HDMI directly to my switch. I should have read earlier where you said you were going to a monitor. Different issue.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Anyone using OSSC > HDMI to VGA converter > PC CRT monitor?

I'm looking at picking one up today for use with Dreamcast VGA and also MiSTer direct video, but also keen to find out if/how the OSSC 4x/5x modes go with this type of display. It can handle up to 1600 x 1200 at 75hz down to 640 x 480 at 180hz.

I'm guessing I should be able to get a decent picture at least with generic 16:9 modes to fill the width of the 4:3 screen. Should I expect 4:3 modes from OSSC to also fill the width of the screen?

EDIT: just read about 5x output in 1600 x 1200 mode, sounds perfect. Any other pro tips appreciated!
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

bonzo.bits wrote:Anyone using OSSC > HDMI to VGA converter > PC CRT monitor?

I'm looking at picking one up today for use with Dreamcast VGA and also MiSTer direct video, but also keen to find out if/how the OSSC 4x/5x modes go with this type of display. It can handle up to 1600 x 1200 at 75hz down to 640 x 480 at 180hz.

I'm guessing I should be able to get a decent picture at least with generic 16:9 modes to fill the width of the 4:3 screen. Should I expect 4:3 modes from OSSC to also fill the width of the screen?

EDIT: just read about 5x output in 1600 x 1200 mode, sounds perfect. Any other pro tips appreciated!
I do use my OSSC with a PC CRT Monitor.

Not sure but do you plan on using the Dreamcast with the OSSC to a PC CRT Monitor?
If that is the case why not just go direct VGA to it than through the OSSC?
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Shelcoof wrote:
bonzo.bits wrote: Not sure but do you plan on using the Dreamcast with the OSSC to a PC CRT Monitor?
Will be using Dreamcast direct to monitor but will also test via OSSC for sake of curiosity..
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

bonzo.bits wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:
bonzo.bits wrote: Not sure but do you plan on using the Dreamcast with the OSSC to a PC CRT Monitor?
Will be using Dreamcast direct to monitor but will also test via OSSC for sake of curiosity..
The only time I use my Dreamcast with the OSSC is when I want scanlines on 2D games.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

bonzo.bits wrote:Anyone using OSSC > HDMI to VGA converter > PC CRT monitor?
I've been kinda forced to use one with mine due to the fact that my display has dimmed out and the ossc can serve as a bridge as it can adjust it's brightness/contrast levels to compensate. Been hating that and I've been meaning to get it replaced at some point so I don't have to keep dealing with it, but I'm pretty sure with the option to switch vesa settings with the DC's way out outputting 480p, you should be able to get a proper 4:3 ratio without seeing your picture squeezed up any. This always used to set me off whenever I see Ivy looking like a beanpole. :lol:

One nice benefit I still love is if you have a short vga cable, you can use that to ossc to cut down impedence and use an hdmi cable all the way up to the back where it meets the adapter straight into the input. This will give you the purest image you can get short of a DCHDMI mod, even though some smartalecs will disagree and say "well why don't you just get better cables?? (hyuk!)" No actually cable length does add more signal desegregation the longer the cords get, even when you have filter ends on them. Digital is just a way of managing the quality without any further loss to deal with, but a low quality adapter will still negate it if you have one.

I think the ossc does clock cycle well with most games output to vga, but you need to make sure you know what games have the 720-horz res and keep the vesa setting adjusted or you'll have unnatural shimmering of pixels and unevenness to deal with. 240p isn't anything to worry about and some of the snk titles are distinctively 640x480 no hassle.

Edit: One thing I will advise though is if you're doing component for any of your consoles, I'd definately run 920p with light scanlines only because this thing about clock cycles does some of that annoyance I mentioned in the previous paragraph, but not in the same way of vesa 640 vs 720, but it's still there. Keep generic 4:3, upsamplex2 and you should be fine. This also matters to the DC in relation to those component cables made for that system.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Can anyone tell me how I might dial in 1600 x 1200 so it works on PC CRT monitor? I can get up to 4x to work with tweaks to optimal timing to dial in a super sharp imahe. Monitor supports 1600 x 1200 at 75hz so it should be capable.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I'm sure this topic has been covered a dozen times already, but what's a good, relatively cheap capture device for pairing with the OSSC with high linex compatibility? Either standalone or PCIe-based. Ideally at least 240p x3 and 480p x2 would be supported.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Datapath Vision RGB cards, which you can find on ebay.com - rather reasonably priced. Big advantage here: full 4:4:4 capture, which is great for screenshots.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Fudoh wrote:Datapath Vision RGB cards, which you can find on ebay.com - rather reasonably priced. Big advantage here: full 4:4:4 capture, which is great for screenshots.
Would something like an E1S (https://www.datapath.co.uk/datapath-pro ... ionrgb-e1s) + HDMI-DVI adapter provide a plug-and-play solution with the OSSC, or is the idea to convert back to analog first?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no conversion of course. You feed native digital RGB. You just need to capture audio separately.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

That's the set up I'm using at the moment, don't even bother splitting anymore, too. Just hook up the OSSC to the capture card and play in the capture window. Fair warning the software is a bit finnicky and you may need more PCIE lanes, but once it's working and you configure things, it's absolutely fantastic. Easily the best 100$ i've spent on anything retro since the OSSC.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Fair warning the software is a bit finnicky
I use Amarec instead.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Fudoh wrote:
Fair warning the software is a bit finnicky
I use Amarec instead.
I find amarec is comparably fiddley ime, but some folks swear by it, so a matter of taste perhaps. there's also a community software replacement (VCS) that's alright.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

software replacement (VCS) that's alright.
do you have a link ? You don't mean iuVCS (successor to iuVCR which I used 15 years ago), do you?
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

Is it possible to get a more true image of X68000 on the OSSC with VGA input? I have a vga adapter for my x68k and on my hdtv it's all stretched out.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Elrinth wrote:Is it possible to get a more true image of X68000 on the OSSC with VGA input? I have a vga adapter for my x68k and on my hdtv it's all stretched out.
Have you tried adjusting the aspect-ratio/picture settings on your display?
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Fudoh wrote:
software replacement (VCS) that's alright.
do you have a link ? You don't mean iuVCS (successor to iuVCR which I used 15 years ago), do you?
here it is: https://github.com/leikareipa/vcs

folks who put together the R3 wiki (http://r3.fyi/Datapath/GeneralCapture) recommend it as an alternative, which is how I came across it. It's not *better* per se, but it may be preferable.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Xyga wrote:The thing is there's nothing on the market nearly as good as the VX3276-mhd-2 (or/aka VX3211-mh) for the OSSC. At least in that price range and size.
That monitor is quite unique in many aspects, it doesn't stop at the OSSC, its unique always-useable overscan, and support for variable refresh rates via CRT emudrivers or other custom resolutions means, are big pluses. The scaling's also good, I love mine to death, wouldn't trade it for a another monitor 4 or 5 times its price.

You were just unlucky...but in general buying flat panels online is risky, even more so when they're IPS.

I've tried the LG 32MP58 and Samsung 32F351F (that one's a VA) which are both ok but don't support x5, honestly they're only good only for x3, and well the Samsung being VA at least it can handle the OSSC's bob deinterlacing without the now typical temporary pixel retension of IPSes.
So it is ok to send 480i directly to the VX3276? I tried hooking up my GCVideo GCN and non-doubled 480i still looked quite flickery on my screen. I definitely do not want to cause any damage here.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

thank you! The compiled windows version is currently not available. Do you happen to have a an executable version you can share
Kez

Post by Kez »

Fudoh wrote:
thank you! The compiled windows version is currently not available. Do you happen to have a an executable version you can share
The latest github release includes a binary
https://github.com/leikareipa/vcs/releases