OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
maxtherabbit

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by maxtherabbit »

@marqs

the option to use AV3 as a sync source with LPF'd RGB is really cool, would it be much trouble to extend that to AV2 as well?

i.e. be able to use coax RCA cables for RGB going to AV2 and feed sync to the VGA port?

you could keep it to a single config option, just have 3 choices (AV1, AV2, off)
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Harrumph wrote:Sampling phase was moved to advanced timing tweaker in last firmware.
Ah, but not a direct input on the remote?
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Hmm right, I forgot there was direct button on the remote, I normally just go into the menu.

But this item in the list
** Enabled sampling phase adjustment while in menus
implies that it should work using the remote shortcut though.

The rest of your remote buttons work fine?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:@marqs

the option to use AV3 as a sync source with LPF'd RGB is really cool, would it be much trouble to extend that to AV2 as well?

i.e. be able to use coax RCA cables for RGB going to AV2 and feed sync to the VGA port?

you could keep it to a single config option, just have 3 choices (AV1, AV2, off)
I would think this would make more sense, because you're likely coming from a DE-15 port, and DE-15 to BNC and BNC to RCA adapters are dirt cheap compared to anything SCART.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Would it work to feed sync-on-green RGB into AV2 to avoid having to feed sync into AV3, and still benefit from the LPF? A lot of cheap Extron boxes can convert RGBS to RGsB.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:Would it work to feed sync-on-green RGB into AV2 to avoid having to feed sync into AV3, and still benefit from the LPF? A lot of cheap Extron boxes can convert RGBS to RGsB.
It would be a viable solution. The way I see it, the cost of an RGB interface and cabling (RCA to BNC cable(s) or RCA to RCA component cable plus RCA to BNC adapters) would be comparable to a properly-attenuating SCART cable, and cheaper than an RGB interface, BNC to SCART adapter, and an inline sync attenuator.

The downside is if you have mixed RGB and YPbPr sources, because occupying AV2 with RGB means that you'll need to manually switch between YPbPr and RGsB (switching cables and/or switching input on the OSSC); so, if you want to avoid that, the next-best option for YPbPr is AV1 (you'd encounter the same problems you're trying to avoid for RGB if you use AV3), which means you'll need some kind of relatively-pricey SCART adapter; and, if you're buying a SCART adapter anyway, you might as well keep using AV1 for RGB (Could still use an Extron interface to send all your RGsB, RGBS, and RGBHV sources to AV1) and AV2 for YPbPr.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

fernan1234 wrote:Would it work to feed sync-on-green RGB into AV2 to avoid having to feed sync into AV3, and still benefit from the LPF? A lot of cheap Extron boxes can convert RGBS to RGsB.
sure that would work, but since he's already got the framework in place it seems like adding AV2 as an option should be trivial and would benefit certain setups
strayan

Post by strayan »

Can the OSSC scale by a factor of 1.25?
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

strayan wrote:Can the OSSC scale by a factor of 1.25?
The OSSC works by line doubling.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

hmmm changing from official release .83 to .84 my N64 profile is now showing bizarre green pixel fringes, nothing changed in my hardware or profile other than adjusting the sample rate tweak setting to match the new system

I'm thinking my OSSC doesn't like the new fitter seed?
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

I think I might be seeing the same thing. It's proving tricky to pin down exactly what situations it occurs in, but it affects multiple consoles and doesn't happen on 0.83 with the same settings.
Spoiler
Notice the weird bright pixels in the morphing ball, and there's a spurious pixel in the pillar below as well.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Would running line 5x through an CRT monitor @1600x1200p look any good? :? I want to split the HDMI signal to both my LG OLED 55C6V and an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Sirotaca wrote:I think I might be seeing the same thing. It's proving tricky to pin down exactly what situations it occurs in, but it affects multiple consoles and doesn't happen on 0.83 with the same settings.
Spoiler
Notice the weird bright pixels in the morphing ball, and there's a spurious pixel in the pillar below as well.
yep looks like the same issue, I suggest a reversion back to the fitter seed used in .83
marqs

Post by marqs »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Sirotaca wrote:I think I might be seeing the same thing. It's proving tricky to pin down exactly what situations it occurs in, but it affects multiple consoles and doesn't happen on 0.83 with the same settings.
Spoiler
yep looks like the same issue, I suggest a reversion back to the fitter seed used in .83
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Any change to the RTL code will make the previous fitter seed selection irrelevant and you need to start compila iterations from scratch. I recompiled the fw with another seed that almost meets timing, feel free to try if that helps (link).
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

marqs wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
Spoiler
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Any change to the RTL code will make the previous fitter seed selection irrelevant and you need to start compila iterations from scratch. I recompiled the fw with another seed that almost meets timing, feel free to try if that helps (link).
well the alternate version is working perfectly for me :mrgreen: , pity you have to refit every time though
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Thanks marqs, that seems to have fixed it for me as well.
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

I've also got the weird green pixels on .84.
I only see them in 5x mode though. (I think, it's the only time i've noticed them)
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Green pixels in 5x rings a bell ... may be a faulty HDMI cable, maybe try replacing it.
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Thomago wrote:Green pixels in 5x rings a bell ... may be a faulty HDMI cable, maybe try replacing it.
only started with .84 firmware (look at sirotaca's post, mine are green instead of white)
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Well, that actually makes a faulty cable sound more likely, cause why would the OSSC produce different looking pixel defects.
Really, try it, if only to rule out that scenario.
nullifer

Post by nullifer »

Thomago wrote:Well, that actually makes a faulty cable sound more likely, cause why would the OSSC produce different looking pixel defects.
Really, try it, if only to rule out that scenario.
This page has one person describing also the green pixel fringe i'm also seeing, as well as someone with white pixels.
It's also being reported on VGPerfection.

Swapped cable. Still there

it's not a big deal for me since I'm using 3x anyways. Just reporting the issue
diamondtron

Post by diamondtron »

Does anyone know where to buy more of the HDMI to VGA adapters that videogameperfection used to sell? When I compared the adapter side by side with the tendak adapter, I preferred it over the tendak. I meant to buy more but they’re out of stock now, so I’m trying to find another place to buy the specific adapters.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... available/
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

For the new AV1 Taito F3 functionality, would I connect the HAS to the OSSC via AV1 and AV3 but select the AV1 input on the OSSC?

Also why would FirebrandX change his settings for the new firmware?

"I’m really looking forward to seeing people’s findings, as well as Firebrandx’s updated OSSC profiles!"

https://www.retrorgb.com/ossc-firmware- ... v0-84.html
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

shmupsrocks wrote: Also why would FirebrandX change his settings for the new firmware?
Because his previous profiles were from before one could use fractional samplerates.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Here's a question. Does the OSSC support different setting profiles for each input? I ask because several systems may be connected to a single OSSC input via a switch. Here is my particular use case: my GameCube and Wii will, via a component switch, connect to the OSSC's AV2. I would like to use my GCN's GameBoy Player, but the OSSC settings for the GameBoy Player will, presumably, be different than the GameCube proper.

How have people dealt with this?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Windfish wrote:Here's a question. Does the OSSC support different setting profiles for each input? I ask because several systems may be connected to a single OSSC input via a switch. Here is my particular use case: my GameCube and Wii will, via a component switch, connect to the OSSC's AV2. I would like to use my GCN's GameBoy Player, but the OSSC settings for the GameBoy Player will, presumably, be different than the GameCube proper.

No, the OSSC's profiles are not dependent on input. You would configure one profile for GameCube proper and another for the Game Boy Player, and you would load the appropriate profile, regardless of which input the source is connected to.

If someone comes up with a reliable method of fingerprinting specific consoles based on the video signal (line counts, refresh rates, signal quirks, etc.), then I'm sure support for that would make it into the OSSC, along with support for automatically loading console-specific profiles, and possibly also baked-in, console-specific defaults.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Windfish wrote:Here's a question. Does the OSSC support different setting profiles for each input? I ask because several systems may be connected to a single OSSC input via a switch. Here is my particular use case: my GameCube and Wii will, via a component switch, connect to the OSSC's AV2. I would like to use my GCN's GameBoy Player, but the OSSC settings for the GameBoy Player will, presumably, be different than the GameCube proper.

Which exact settings are you looking to change? 240p GameCube games are rare (only a couple of compilations as far as I know), so if you use GBI to output 240p or 360p you don't have to worry about the sampling settings overlapping with normal GameCube games. You should be fine with one profile for GameCube and one for Wii.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Sirotaca wrote:

Which exact settings are you looking to change? 240p GameCube games are rare (only a couple of compilations as far as I know), so if you use GBI to output 240p or 360p you don't have to worry about the sampling settings overlapping with normal GameCube games. You should be fine with one profile for GameCube and one for Wii.
I guess I am hamstrung by my lack of knowledge of the OSSC. I was unaware that profiles were a thing. From nmalinoski's comment above, it seems like they are not input-dependent. So, if I understand correctly you create your profiles (save them to onboard memory or a microSD) and load them (manually) as necessary?
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

To (perhaps) clarify, one single profile can contain a separate setting for each input video mode, i.e. 240p/360p/384p/480i/480p etc. In the case of Gamecube/GBP (using GBI) and Wii, a single profile slot can actually be used, at least if you are satisfied with generic modes. 480i and 480p output is identical for Gamecube and Wii. There would be a potential conflict however between GBI 240p and Wii VC 240p, if you want to use optimized mode for GBI.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

you *can* link one specific profile to an input if you choose to - if you do this every time you select input X you will get profile Y

you can also link inputs to profiles, if you do this anytime you select profile X you will get input Y - this is the best way to have a profile for each console because you can have multiple profiles point at the same input this way