OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
borti4938

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by borti4938 »

marqs wrote:Any details on the source / configuration which is needed to reproduce the issue?
Hey marqs, thanks for the response! The issue was the person who was sitting in front of the monitor. I simply forgot to update the sys/ folder :( After I did it now, everything works fine.

My fault! I hope you didn't take a look into the 'potential' issue from my site. I'm sorry for any confusion...

Best Regards
Last edited by borti4938 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Looks like the stocks of VX3211-mh are wearing off in Europe, and the prices aren't nearly as good now as they were during this year. End of an era. :|
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

HDgaming42 wrote:
cave hermit wrote:Also I'm trying to optimize my OSSC for Genesis output, but following firebrandx's documentation I get a shimmering effect on varying parts of the screen regardless of what I set sampling phase to. Any ideas?
I'm here as well but for my SNES (original launch unit).

What's the easiest way to set phase? Or is phase not the culprit here? I've been using the 240p test suite checkerboard pattern as it is immediately apparent if anything is out of sorts as it shows up as wavy distortions. There isn't a single phase setting that eliminates them on my setup--what else can I try?

Also, through trial and error I discovered that my Sony 930E actually accepts 5x, including 1600x1200. In this mode I measure the lag as being less than 2 frames, which puts it faster than rtings measured for 1080p game mode. Yay!

It seems my redmere cables simply don't play nice with the OSSC beyond 2X scale. When I swapped them out suddenly the clouds parted and the holy light of 5x shone down upon me. It is truly magnificent. I have the pre-audio OSSC and can't believe how it keeps getting better and better--thanks Marqs!

Final question:

Anything full white from my SNES drops the picture out. 240 test suite--Konami logo--white flashes (lightning FX). Is this a cable issue? I'm using retroaccess SNES SCART cables from a decade ago--are they throwing too much voltage? Any way to mitigate that within the OSSC?

Thanks!
Turns out I had changed H.samplerate from 341 to 342 at some point. Setting it back to 341 and adjusting LPF(s) I've got my SNES looking amazing!

Also, I know the OP isn't exhaustive by any means, but I'm surprised FirebrandX's optimal timing videos aren't referenced there or in the wiki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEr3uFPs7gU

...unless I overlooked them.

EDIT: indeed I had. They're found in the wiki under optimal timings - as hyperlinks for individual systems.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Updated to 0.85. Have SNES working at 5X with optimal timings but having difficulty with PCE and Genesis. Hopeing someone can help me understand how to address the following: (PCE displaying 256x240 grid with FirebrandX's PCE 256 optimal timing preset). Notice the wrap-around distortion from top to bottom.

Spoiler
I don't get an image at 5X at all unless at Generic 4:3.

At 4X many times I don't get an image with optimal timing settings, but occasionally I will get the above distortion, with a portion of the screen wrapping over off the top back around to the bottom. Sometimes this wrap updates, and sometimes it becomes a still.

Whereas Generic 4:3 shows as expected:

Spoiler
Does anyone know what causes this wrap? Has this been discussed before? Oddly I can do 4X 352x240 with optimal timing (352x240) via Firebrand's preset, but not 256x240.
marqs

Post by marqs »

borti4938 wrote:Hey marqs, thanks for the response! The issue was the person who was sitting in front of the monitor. I simply forgot to update the sys/ folder :( After I did it now, everything works fine.

My fault! I hope you didn't take a look into the 'potential' issue from my site. I'm sorry for any confusion...
I reviewed the SW code and found one very unlikely scenario where that might actually happen, but good to know it wasn't that here. I'm not sure if the case reported by sebnec was solved, though.
HDgaming42 wrote:I don't get an image at 5X at all unless at Generic 4:3.

At 4X many times I don't get an image with optimal timing settings, but occasionally I will get the above distortion, with a portion of the screen wrapping over off the top back around to the bottom. Sometimes this wrap updates, and sometimes it becomes a still.
Those sound like display incompatibility with the said modes - you might want to check whether you can reproduce them with another display.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I get a waving/rolling pattern across the image on vertically scrolling games unless I'm either in optim mode or on AV1 with LPF enabled. I prefer Generic 4:3 so that the correct aspect ratio is preserved and AV3 input. Is there any way to eliminate that pattern in Generic 4:3 on AV3?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

On the AV1 vs AV3 topic, I'd also like to learn more about how exactly they are different other than the connection type. I've heard that LPF cannot be enabled for AV3. I'm also curious about what other differences there are, including the one that causes the issue that user shmupsrocks just mentioned.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

I was able to eliminate the waving/rolling pattern by lowering my Line5x samplerate to 1920 which makes me think that my previous samplerate of 1965 was distorting the aspect ratio and creating the pattern as a byproduct of that distortion.

This raises the question of how best to determine the correct samplerate in Generic 4:3 mode. Increasing and decreasing the samplerate causes the image to lengthen and shorten so how best to determine the optimal value? I thought I knew how to do this but I had come up with 1965 which must not be correct since it produced the waving/rolling pattern which itself seems likely due to an incorrect aspect ratio.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

fernan1234 wrote:On the AV1 vs AV3 topic, I'd also like to learn more about how exactly they are different other than the connection type. I've heard that LPF cannot be enabled for AV3. I'm also curious about what other differences there are, including the one that causes the issue that user shmupsrocks just mentioned.
My understanding is that AV3 does have an LPF, but it's only one frequency that's applicable to 960-/1080-line modes, whereas the LPFs for AV1 and AV2 support a number of frequencies applicable to modes from 240p to 1080p.

The only other difference that I'm aware of (beyond the obvious connector type and support of RGBHV) is that AV1 and AV2 require consumer-video-level sync (1Vp-p, -0.3V to +0.7V, 75Ohm termination) for RGBS, and AV3 requires TTL sync (5Vp-p) for RGBS and RGBHV.

I'm also not an expert on this, so my input is going to be limited.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

AV3 RGB goes directly into the TVP7002
AV3 sync is buffered through a 74 series IC

AV1/2 RGB is buffered through a THS7353 video amp before being digitized by the TVP7002
AV1/2 sync goes directly into the TVP7002 SoG inputs

the TVP7002 has an ambiguously documented LPF with mediocre performance, it can be enabled or disabled for any input - it's listed on the menus as 95MHz HDTV II

the THS7353 has selectable 5th order butterworth filters that can be applied to AV1 or 2 in lieu of the TVP's built-in filter
orange808

Post by orange808 »

shmupsrocks wrote:I was able to eliminate the waving/rolling pattern by lowering my Line5x samplerate to 1920 which makes me think that my previous samplerate of 1965 was distorting the aspect ratio and creating the pattern as a byproduct of that distortion.

This raises the question of how best to determine the correct samplerate in Generic 4:3 mode. Increasing and decreasing the samplerate causes the image to lengthen and shorten so how best to determine the optimal value? I thought I knew how to do this but I had come up with 1965 which must not be correct since it produced the waving/rolling pattern which itself seems likely due to an incorrect aspect ratio.
How to reproduce the issue? Maybe need to test using a good source machine, good power, good cables, and a Datapath capture card?

I'm not even sure what you're seeing. What's the chain and settings?

Is it shimmering? Is it a rolling pillar or a rolling bar? How tall/wide is the artifact? How many simultaneous visible rolling bars manifest themselves? Can you reproduce the issue on mulitiple displays? Does rolling back the OSSC firmware help?

If the low pass filter is clearing it up on AV1, it might be an upstream issue with the video chain before the OSSC. Could it be a power supply or grounding loop thing? Leaky cable? Bad switch/splitter? Maybe an issue with the source machine? Could it be the display's scaling?

And, the best results I can get involve using FBX's settings and forcing the aspect ratio using my display's scaling or a video processor (if you can get your display or video processor to accept the signal).
We apologise for the inconvenience
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

orange808 wrote:
shmupsrocks wrote:I was able to eliminate the waving/rolling pattern by lowering my Line5x samplerate to 1920 which makes me think that my previous samplerate of 1965 was distorting the aspect ratio and creating the pattern as a byproduct of that distortion.

How to reproduce the issue? Maybe need to test using a good source machine, good power, good cables, and a Datapath capture card?

I'm not even sure what you're seeing. What's the chain and settings?

Is it shimmering? Is it a rolling pillar or a rolling bar? How tall/wide is the artifact? How many simultaneous visible rolling bars manifest themselves? Can you reproduce the issue on mulitiple displays? Does rolling back the OSSC firmware help?

If the low pass filter is clearing it up on AV1, it might be an upstream issue with the video chain before the OSSC. Could it be a power supply or grounding loop thing? Leaky cable? Bad switch/splitter? Maybe an issue with the source machine? Could it be the display's scaling?

And, the best results I can get involve using FBX's settings and forcing the aspect ratio using my display's scaling or a video processor (if you can get your display or video processor to accept the signal).

Can anyone reproduce this on a PGM board? I have it on Espgaluda and Ketsui. If you're using Line5x just disable the video LPF and set samplerate to 1965. Check the background for wavy distortion across its entire width as the screen slowly scrolls up vertically. I played with the samplerate and the characteristics of the distortion changed quite a lot along with the samplerate value.

I checked the checkerboard pattern on Ketsui and samplerate 1965 has some blinking pixels which are not there at 1920. This tells me that samplerate 1965 does not produce the correct aspect ratio as it should and we need a method for discovering the samplerate which produces the correct aspect ratio for each board. The only thing I can think of besides turning on the checkerboard pattern and checking for blinking pixels while fiddling with samplerate is researching a game's resolution and then physically measuring the output on the screen in order to dial in the right width via samplerate to match the image's height.

FWIW I tested the 95MHz HDTV II LPF and it does not correct the distortion while the 9MHz (SDTV) LPF does correct it.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Thanks nmalinoski and maxtherabbit for all that info on the OSSC's AV inputs.

I'm particularly interested about AV3 because I'm thinking about integrating a flat panel + OSSC into my RGB setup, which runs on an Extron VGA switch with dual output, so I'd be using that to feed RGBS to the OSSC via VA3. Sounds like I'll just have to experiment with it and see if the TVP7002's LPF is good enough. I'm also not sure if what the switch is outputting the required TTL sync.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

fernan1234 wrote:Thanks nmalinoski and maxtherabbit for all that info on the OSSC's AV inputs.

I'm particularly interested about AV3 because I'm thinking about integrating a flat panel + OSSC into my RGB setup, which runs on an Extron VGA switch with dual output, so I'd be using that to feed RGBS to the OSSC via VA3. Sounds like I'll just have to experiment with it and see if the TVP7002's LPF is good enough. I'm also not sure if what the switch is outputting the required TTL sync.
-every Extron VGA switch I've used has output TTL sync, I'd be shocked to find one that did not

-in my experience the TVP LPF is inadequate for noisy standard def sources, it's passable on ED and effective on HD

-I make an inline VGA LPF you could use, but you would have to select the corner frequency with DIP switches

Or you could just make a VGA to SCART cable to connect the OSSC to your switch, or use VGA/BNC breakouts to connect RGB to one of the buffered inputs and sync to AV3 and use the "alternate AV3 RGB" setting on the OSSC
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

maxtherabbit wrote:Or you could just make a VGA to SCART cable to connect the OSSC to your switch, or use VGA/BNC breakouts to connect RGB to one of the buffered inputs and sync to AV3 and use the "alternate AV3 RGB" setting on the OSSC
Thanks for even more advice. I have an idle VGA-4BNC cable I could use, so this would be the path of least resistance for me to try first. If that doesn't work I'll look into one of your VGA LPFs.
fandangos

Post by fandangos »

Kez wrote:
Windfish wrote:So... I haven't attempted this n64 "sorcery" yet, but my question is: is this method going to ruin some games that require the higher res mode?
Yes but it is optional, you could easily save an OSSC profile that is optimised with deblur and switch to a generic 4:3 profile for the 640x240 games.

There is a recent thread on VGP here where someone dialled in their N64 using this method, should be enough info for you to get it set up.

And to be clear, if your RGB mod is one that includes deblur (i.e. Tim's or Borti's boards) then you don't need to do this (though it will still look sharper with the optimal timings).
Settings for N64 with RGB amp without deblur (just regular THS7314) would be according to that thread:

sample rate 386.75
disable video lpf (not the sync lpf)
Bump white to 248
H. S. rate adj. = 1
H. sync clean 22
H. Backporch - 34
H. active 320
Sampling phase 22 deg.

That's it?

EDIT:

Found the problem. Bad power supply.
rama

Post by rama »

Seeing the new profile generator (http://pbnl.byethost7.com/ossc/profiles/?i=1), I wonder about the VSync coast functionality of the TVP chip.
Does anyone know whether it ignores any existing equalization and serration pulses?
I assume it would have to, since otherwise the selectable coast lengths wouldn't be enough to cover all the pulses that make up standard VSync.

What is the method called by which the TVP skips counting the short pulses (if it indeed does)?

I'm working on robust sync separation in my gbscontrol project with the TV5725 chip, and figuring out a suitable coast length from an unknown source is a struggle, especially due to the many CSync flavors.
If the TVP chip does something special here, I'd like to try and recreate it on the TV5725.

To clarify:
The TV5725 counts each pulse as a "line", and coast lengths count against that.
Skipping short pulses is possible, but the pulse length to skip is unknown, because the source could be SD up to 1080p.

Any thoughts / experience is appreciated :)
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Would really appreciate input from those in the know. I'm thinking about using an OSSC again, but I have all my systems using custom DB-15 cables going into an Extron VGA SW. I'm hoping to be able to simply use a VGA cable from one of the switch's outputs into the OSSC's AV3.

First, since one of my main goals is to have the OSSC pass through all RGB 480i signals (DC, PS2, Wii, etc.), I am concerned about this reported known issue:
interlaced content via AV3 in RGBHV/RGBS mode requires a hack to work (TVP7002 issue).
Does that issue apply only for scan conversions, or does it also affect passthrough mode? If it does, what is the hack that makes it work?

I'm also wondering if I can assume that the Extron SW is outputting the required TTL sync. I do have an Extron rxi unit that I could put in between to get either RGBHV in what assume is TTL or RGsB for AV2, though I'd prefer to avoid this if possible. For sync type I think I should have no problems since a couple of cables that are lifting sync from luma (PS1, SNES) also have sync strippers, though I'm not 100% for all of them (the ones I use for N64Advanced and PS2 output may not now that I think about it).

Thanks for any advice.
marqs

Post by marqs »

rama wrote:Seeing the new profile generator (http://pbnl.byethost7.com/ossc/profiles/?i=1), I wonder about the VSync coast functionality of the TVP chip.
Does anyone know whether it ignores any existing equalization and serration pulses?
I assume it would have to, since otherwise the selectable coast lengths wouldn't be enough to cover all the pulses that make up standard VSync.

What is the method called by which the TVP skips counting the short pulses (if it indeed does)?
Counting and processing of equalization pulses is filtered out by Macrovision stripper so pre/post coast does not need to cover them. Serration pulses during vsync I think are ignored by vsync processing circuit as line counting and sync processing work the same way regardless whether they are present or not. For TVP coasting is only needed if hsync period is not stable during pre/post equalization phases.
Last edited by marqs on Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marqs

Post by marqs »

fernan1234 wrote:First, since one of my main goals is to have the OSSC pass through all RGB 480i signals (DC, PS2, Wii, etc.), I am concerned about this reported known issue:
interlaced content via AV3 in RGBHV/RGBS mode requires a hack to work (TVP7002 issue).
Does that issue apply only for scan conversions, or does it also affect passthrough mode? If it does, what is the hack that makes it work?
By default TVP7002 cannot decode interlace signaling via TTL sync inputs the same way it can't decode even-even signaling via analog sync inputs. RGB data from the chip is still generated ok while output sync is messed up (missing or extra vsync), but the sync is then fixed by FPGA in real time for all output modes. In most cases this should work OK, but there may be exceptions which is why AV1/2 (or AV3 RGsB) are generally recommended for interlace sources.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

fernan1234 wrote:Would really appreciate input from those in the know. I'm thinking about using an OSSC again, but I have all my systems using custom DB-15 cables going into an Extron VGA SW. I'm hoping to be able to simply use a VGA cable from one of the switch's outputs into the OSSC's AV3.

First, since one of my main goals is to have the OSSC pass through all RGB 480i signals (DC, PS2, Wii, etc.), I am concerned about this reported known issue:

I'm also wondering if I can assume that the Extron SW is outputting the required TTL sync. I do have an Extron rxi unit that I could put in between to get either RGBHV in what assume is TTL or RGsB for AV2, though I'd prefer to avoid this if possible. For sync type I think I should have no problems since a couple of cables that are lifting sync from luma (PS1, SNES) also have sync strippers, though I'm not 100% for all of them (the ones I use for N64Advanced and PS2 output may not now that I think about it).

Thanks for any advice.
Get a custom VGA to SCART cable from retroaccess with resistors to bring the sync down to 75 ohms. That will let you use AV1 with full LPF control and no interlace hacks.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

marqs wrote:y default TVP7002 cannot decode interlace signaling via TTL sync inputs the same way it can't decode even-even signaling via analog sync inputs. RGB data from the chip is still generated ok while output sync is messed up (missing or extra vsync), but the sync is then fixed by FPGA in real time for all output modes. In most cases this should work OK, but there may be exceptions which is why AV1/2 (or AV3 RGsB) are generally recommended for interlace sources.
Thanks for this info. Sounds like I should just try it out and hope for the best.

bobrocks95 wrote:Get a custom VGA to SCART cable from retroaccess with resistors to bring the sync down to 75 ohms. That will let you use AV1 with full LPF control and no interlace hacks.
I really want to avoid spending more on custom cables if possible. Ideally I'll be able to just organically drop the OSSC into my sweet DB-15 environment. Instead of going back to SCART, I would prefer to rely on the interlace hack if it's not too complicated. I'll come back and ask about it if it turns out that I have problems with the AV3.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

fernan1234 wrote: I really want to avoid spending more on custom cables if possible. Ideally I'll be able to just organically drop the OSSC into my sweet DB-15 environment. Instead of going back to SCART, I would prefer to rely on the interlace hack if it's not too complicated. I'll come back and ask about it if it turns out that I have problems with the AV3.
the interlace hack has worked pretty ok in my experience. in fact, my dreamcast is connected over VGA and it works in 480i without even turning the hack on
marqs

Post by marqs »

maxtherabbit wrote:
fernan1234 wrote: I really want to avoid spending more on custom cables if possible. Ideally I'll be able to just organically drop the OSSC into my sweet DB-15 environment. Instead of going back to SCART, I would prefer to rely on the interlace hack if it's not too complicated. I'll come back and ask about it if it turns out that I have problems with the AV3.
the interlace hack has worked pretty ok in my experience. in fact, my dreamcast is connected over VGA and it works in 480i without even turning the hack on
The discussed hack is always enabled and separate from "AV3 interlacefix" which is a workaround for yet another TVP7002 limitation (Hsync must be aligned to Vsync, but that setting can be used to increase tolerance).
rama

Post by rama »

marqs wrote: Counting and processing of equalization pulses is filtered out Macrovision stripper so pre/post coast does not need to cover them. Serration pulses during vsync I think are ignored by vsync processing circuit as line counting and sync processing work the same way regardless whether they are present or not. For TVP coasting is only needed if hsync period is not stable during pre/post equalization phases.
marqs wrote: By default TVP7002 cannot decode interlace signaling via TTL sync inputs the same way it can't decode even-even signaling via analog sync inputs. RGB data from the chip is still generated ok while output sync is messed up (missing or extra vsync), ...
Thanks!
So this sounds like VSync detection and processing, using "Macrovision removal", works the same on both chips.
This confirms to me that I need to focus on getting the Macrovision settings right, then fix the remaining quirks with appropriate coasting.

However, I think the handling of equalization pulses is a little different.
For example, on the TV5725, I do have to coast 3 to 4 pulses more, depending on the source.
It will eventually be stable and reliable with all sources (that I can test with), with the longer coast setting.
Some sources are fine with pre/post coast at 1, but right now I've settled for pre = 3, post = 7.
Maybe it's just that the TVP7002 counts in actual scanlines, and the TV5725 counts in pulses it sees.

Something is causing that even-even problem on the TVP. Maybe it's that scanline vs pulse counting.

(Is Chrono Cross on the PSX a reliable "even-even bug" test? If not, are there other common consoles to test?)
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

orange808 wrote:I would always try my display's own deinterlacing before I used an Extron machine, because it's unlikely the Extron will outperform your display.

If you never want to see a blackout ever again and you need better deinterlacing, buy a Silicon Optix IA-100 and get a very fast display that handles 960p. Chain the IA-100 in front of the OSSC and output 480p. Use the OSSC for scanlines, audio embedding, and to line double 480p to 960p. I don't do that, but it would work for people that absolutely need no dropouts and decent deinterlacing.
How exactly does this Silicon Optix integrate with the OSSC? I use component in to the OSSC , does it go before or after? What's the best connections to use, DB-15?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

ldeveraux wrote:
orange808 wrote:I would always try my display's own deinterlacing before I used an Extron machine, because it's unlikely the Extron will outperform your display.

If you never want to see a blackout ever again and you need better deinterlacing, buy a Silicon Optix IA-100 and get a very fast display that handles 960p. Chain the IA-100 in front of the OSSC and output 480p. Use the OSSC for scanlines, audio embedding, and to line double 480p to 960p. I don't do that, but it would work for people that absolutely need no dropouts and decent deinterlacing.
How exactly does this Silicon Optix integrate with the OSSC? I use component in to the OSSC , does it go before or after? What's the best connections to use, DB-15?
SOIA in front of OSSC. Use HD15 ("VGA") to connect on AV3.

Be aware of all the trade offs here: frame rate conversion, lag, and sharpness. There is no "perfect" video chain and you're always giving up something to get something. In this case, you get instant transitions, Faroudja deinterlacing, and tate rotation.

Also:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38531
We apologise for the inconvenience
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

orange808 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

SOIA in front of OSSC. Use HD15 ("VGA") to connect on AV3.

Be aware of all the trade offs here: frame rate conversion, lag, and sharpness. There is no "perfect" video chain and you're always giving up something to get something. In this case, you get instant transitions, Faroudja deinterlacing, and tate rotation.

Also:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38531
Awesome info, thanks. I'll check that thread out soon as well. So I'd need a way to run component into the SO, I guess a component to BNC ?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

ldeveraux wrote:Awesome info, thanks. I'll check that thread out soon as well. So I'd need a way to run component into the SO, I guess a component to BNC ?
Looks to me like you'd just need some female RCA to male BNC adapters.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Awesome info, thanks. I'll check that thread out soon as well. So I'd need a way to run component into the SO, I guess a component to BNC ?
Looks to me like you'd just need some female RCA to male BNC adapters.
So as someone not at all familiar with BNC, what do I do with the HSYNC and VSYNC ports?