OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ASDR

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by ASDR »

Konsolkongen wrote:Is it possible to edit the contents of an ossc_profiles_0.86.bin file to make it compatible with the new firmware? Unfortunately the website hasn't been updated for this yet.
Don't think you can just somehow patch in the new firmware into an old config blob since adds new options, so the layout of the configuration data must've changed.
marqs

Post by marqs »

v0.88 is now released which fixes the profile import issue.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

love the new OSD
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you, everything is working great now :)

The new menu system really is a huge improvement. Tweaking settings is blazingly fast now :)
Downcry

Post by Downcry »

Could the existing OSSC hardware be used as a DAC?
Using the HDMI port as an input and outputting via the analog connections?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Downcry wrote:Could the existing OSSC hardware be used as a DAC?
Using the HDMI port as an input and outputting via the analog connections?
Nope
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

I'm sure this has been covered but since there's 9 million pages, I'll ask. There seems to be a large color shift for me when going from 3x to 4x modes on my OSSC. 3x looks great as is, but when switching consoles to 4x, the colors in 4x go to being much more vibrant and colorful or saturated. These are just with default settings. I'm curious as to why this happens. Is there any way to adjust the colors properly to bring the 4x colors back down a bit? I've messed with settings in the OSSC, but it's hard to tell if the color is changing much, despite heavily altering a lot of the OSSC settings.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

TooBeaucoup wrote:I'm sure this has been covered but since there's 9 million pages, I'll ask. There seems to be a large color shift for me when going from 3x to 4x modes on my OSSC. 3x looks great as is, but when switching consoles to 4x, the colors in 4x go to being much more vibrant and colorful or saturated. These are just with default settings. I'm curious as to why this happens. Is there any way to adjust the colors properly to bring the 4x colors back down a bit? I've messed with settings in the OSSC, but it's hard to tell if the color is changing much, despite heavily altering a lot of the OSSC settings.
Sounds an awful lot like your TV switching picture mode based on detected resolution. My OSSC produces consistent colors in all line modes
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The OSSC is consistent indeed. I guess that your TV detects 3x as a SMTPE HDTV timing, while 960p is seen as a DMT/VESA/PC timing, so different processing, maybe even different RGB range interpretation is applied.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

maxtherabbit wrote:Sounds an awful lot like your TV switching picture mode based on detected resolution. My OSSC produces consistent colors in all line modes
Fudoh wrote:The OSSC is consistent indeed. I guess that your TV detects 3x as a SMTPE HDTV timing, while 960p is seen as a DMT/VESA/PC timing, so different processing, maybe even different RGB range interpretation is applied.
Yeah, this hadn't really occurred to me. It turns out, it's not changing picture modes, but settings are changing and some settings in my picture options actually get greyed out and can't be changed. Must be my TV automatically doing something to 960p content. It's not a deal breaker as I can obviously adjust color settings within my TV, just kind of a pain for when I want to swap around line modes.

Thanks for the replies.
Kez

Post by Kez »

I have a Samsung TV that behaves this way, when in "normal" display modes (480, 720, 1080) I can tell the TV it's a games console and enable Game Mode. However in any other resolution, mainly 960p and 1200p, the TV insists the input is "PC", has independent colour settings and higher latency.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Kez wrote:I have a Samsung TV that behaves this way, when in "normal" display modes (480, 720, 1080) I can tell the TV it's a games console and enable Game Mode. However in any other resolution, mainly 960p and 1200p, the TV insists the input is "PC", has independent colour settings and higher latency.
And the latency goes up?! That seems weird if it's thinks a PC is connected.
Kez

Post by Kez »

TooBeaucoup wrote:And the latency goes up?! That seems weird if it's thinks a PC is connected.
Yeah, not by much.. I think it was like 12ms vs 18ms on the Time Sleuth, still slightly annoying!
Agent BSoD

Post by Agent BSoD »

Hey marqs, I've got an issue with 0.88's mode selection. It seems it is misinterpreting my PC-9821's output, which is 640x400 @56.4Hz (24kHz signal), as 384p (it outputs 992x384 in passthrough mode). Previous firmware work fine (excluding 0.87 which I didn't test since nothing changed), so I've had to revert back to 0.86.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Agent BSoD wrote:Hey marqs, I've got an issue with 0.88's mode selection. It seems it is misinterpreting my PC-9821's output, which is 640x400 @56.4Hz (24kHz signal), as 384p (it outputs 992x384 in passthrough mode). Previous firmware work fine (excluding 0.87 which I didn't test since nothing changed), so I've had to revert back to 0.86.
Sega Model 2, PC88/98 and VGA 400p modes all have similar line counts which complicates mapping each to a suitable preset. Previously 384p was only enabled for non-VGA sources but 0.87 removed dependicies to physical inputs. I can update 384p preset parameters for next fw to avoid this collision.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

If there’s another update, could you have a look at the menu colours? The new menu is great but on my display the yellow text for the highlighted menu item looks very similar to the white text. Maybe red would work better for the highlight colour? On the DVDOs they put a red background on the active menu item and it works really well.
Example: https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_4 ... art-2.html
Thanks!
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

The new OSSC mode for the PSP is great, thanks for that! But I was wondering, was 480x272 Line4X possible? Just wondering because 1920x1088 is much closer to most people TV native resolutions of 1920x1080 than 960x544 is.
u1su3su2

Post by u1su3su2 »

Does anybody know of an external device, VGA to VGA that I could use before the OSSC' VGA input to add an LPF? I have an all-VGA setup and the lack of LPF is hurting me.

Alternatively, any suggestion for an integrated circuit that I could try to build such a converter around? I noticed that the two other input of the OSSC use the THS7353. Would that be the best choice?

(And yeah, I might just wait for the OSSC Pro!)
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

After maybe a year I just updated my firmware to 0.88. That OSD is gorgeous. It's a massive QoL leap. Thank you!
strygo

Post by strygo »

I'm observing a strange behavior when sending 720p from the Xbox through the OSSC. I'm finding that AV2 produces a considerably clearer image than both AV1 and AV3. Is there an explanation for this, and is there anything I can do to fix it?

* Xbox 1.0 (RGsB) -> AV2 (RGsB) - GOOD
* Xbox 1.6 (YPbPr) -> AV2 (YPbPr) - GOOD
* Xbox 1.0 (RGsB) -> AV1 (RGsB) - BLURRY
* Xbox 1.0 (RGsB) -> gscartsw (RGBS) -> AV1 (RGBS) - BLURRY
* Xbox 1.0 (RGsB) -> AV3 (RGsB) - BLURRY

Some screenshots are here: https://imgur.com/a/Wxnly9R - these aren't particularly great, but the blurriness I describe is most noticeable when comparing the text in each of the screenshots.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

strygo wrote:I'm observing a strange behavior when sending 720p from the Xbox through the OSSC. I'm finding that AV2 produces a considerably clearer image than both AV1 and AV3. Is there an explanation for this, and is there anything I can do to fix it?

* Xbox 1.0 (RGsB) -> AV2 (RGsB) - GOOD
* Xbox 1.6 (YPbPr) -> AV2 (YPbPr) - GOOD
* Xbox 1.0 (RGsB) -> AV1 (RGsB) - BLURRY
* Xbox 1.0 (RGsB) -> gscartsw (RGBS) -> AV1 (RGBS) - BLURRY
* Xbox 1.0 (RGsB) -> AV3 (RGsB) - BLURRY

Some screenshots are here: https://imgur.com/a/Wxnly9R - these aren't particularly great, but the blurriness I describe is most noticeable when comparing the text in each of the screenshots.
There's the lack of a low pass filter on AV3, but IDK why RGsB over AV1 would cause the blurriez too...? Is AV2 maybe the 'ideal' port for SoG?
strygo

Post by strygo »

kitty666cats wrote:There's the lack of a low pass filter on AV3, but IDK why RGsB over AV1 would cause the blurriez too...? Is AV2 maybe the 'ideal' port for SoG?
I first noticed the discrepancy on AV1, so my thought was that the LPF was the culprit. My understanding is that the LPF shouldn't be necessary for a 720p signal.

What doesn't make sense to me is that I'm seeing the same blurriness when using both RGsB and RGBS over AV3. I've ordered a component to VGA adapter so that I can test YPbPr over AV3 as well.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

and you made sure that the LPF settings for AV1 and AV2 are actually identical ?
Kez

Post by Kez »

How are you getting RGsB from the Xbox?
strygo

Post by strygo »

Kez wrote:How are you getting RGsB from the Xbox?
My Xbox is running the IND-BIOS VGA mod that outputs RGsB. I have two cables: the HD AV Pack component cable (which transmits R, Gs, and B over the YPbPr lines) - this is how I am testing RGsB over AV2, and a modified Advanced SCART cable (to appear as an HD AV Pack to the Xbox) - this is how I’m testing RGsB over AV1. My testing of AV3 is using a Sync Strike - I will have a passive adapter tomorrow that I will be able to test.
Fudoh wrote:and you made sure that the LPF settings for AV1 and AV2 are actually identical ?
I think so. I disabled LPF on both (and AV3 too). But if there is a specific set of settings I should review, please let me know!
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

hi all,

just want to report a few things in-case anyone in the world is wondering.

1)

Analogue NT Mini noir via analogue output can line 5x through OSSC.

2)

Samsung Q80T handles Line5x poorly for SNES/NES.warning for buyers out there. I get ton of signal loss randomly. Sometimes I can do 4 straight levels of ninja gaiden nes if I am lucky. otherwise, constant signal loss.

3)

Some TVs will stretch line2x 480p/line4x 480i and there is nothing you can do about it. But the Samsung Q80T properly displays Line2x 480p and Line4x 480i in 4:3 and it is beautiful sight.
marqs

Post by marqs »

strygo wrote:
Fudoh wrote:and you made sure that the LPF settings for AV1 and AV2 are actually identical ?
I think so. I disabled LPF on both (and AV3 too). But if there is a specific set of settings I should review, please let me know!
Have you tried adjusting sampling phase? Delay between video and sync is different on all those 3 inputs so optimal sampling phase is also different for each.
strygo

Post by strygo »

marqs wrote:Have you tried adjusting sampling phase? Delay between video and sync is different on all those 3 inputs so optimal sampling phase is also different for each.
No, I hadn't. I was hoping/expecting something like this might be the case (or there was a behavior difference I wasn't aware of). My passive component to HD15 adapter arrives today, so I will play around more. Thank you for the pointers.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:Some TVs will stretch line2x 480p/line4x 480i and there is nothing you can do about it. But the Samsung Q80T properly displays Line2x 480p and Line4x 480i in 4:3 and it is beautiful sight.
Not sure if you've tried this, but in a lot of cases you can coax these TVs into displaying in 4:3 if you set the OSSC to output 1280x960 instead of 1440x960 in those modes (i.e. set H. active to 640, H. samplerate to 780, and turn on upsample2x).
strygo

Post by strygo »

marqs wrote:Have you tried adjusting sampling phase? Delay between video and sync is different on all those 3 inputs so optimal sampling phase is also different for each.
My passive adapter arrived, so I was able to do a bit more testing. With the passive adapter, I am now able to directly compare AV1/AV2/AV3 directly. When using RGsB directly from the Xbox, AV2 and AV3 look identical. AV1 remains blurry. However, when I check the advanced timing, 720p_60 is shown and across all inputs, all values are identical. Should I adjust the values beyond this? I tried cycling through the sampling phase value in particular and it didn't seem to help.

I've been using RGsB direct to eliminate variables in my testing. In my preferred configuration, I'd like to use either RGBS or RGBHV. In that configuration, I'm using a gscartsw to convert sync to RGBS, and then when I connect to either AV1 or AV3, I observe the same blurriness on both. Could sampling phase (or other setting) be the culprit here too?