OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Galdelico

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Galdelico »

Xyga wrote:It's lightweight / less taxing on brightness and motion clarity than full straight lines = easier on the eyes on LCDs which are limited in both.
Oh yeah, that's for sure. It also looks more 'proper', to my eyes, and it grew up on me super fast.

Speaking about the new fw: @FBX, any chance you will update your 0.81a profiles?
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Can someone guide to best picture for my Saturn,I’ve put in firebrand x settings and not to good on my tv,I’ve no idea what settings I need to alter to fine tune the picture at the moment I just use it on 3 times mode and 4:3 generic as this seems to be best,I mostly only play shumps too,thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Is there a way to apply SL. alt interval to the vertical ones instead (independently to hrz.) ?

Or maybe in a future revision to expand the setting like;

SL. alt interval
Horizontal > Vertical > Horz. + Vert.

This might be useful in x5 to simulate a lower res if you see what I mean.

EDIT: to illustrate you can play a MD game like Sonic in x5 generic 4:3, Horizont. + Vertical. lines, and then switch to 512x240 optimal mode.
this isn't appropriate but shows the same type of simulated phosphor thickness / lower TVL as in x3 mode.
done right over x5 generic this could be the perfect thing.

EDIT: like that;
ImageImage

Which would allow to make stuff like this (sorry about the colors, bitch camera);
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Speaking about the new scanlines mode...

With Custom SL (Subline 1 = 87%, Subcolumn 1 = 75%), in Line3x, generic 4:3, I get pretty much the same effect from Xyga's first picture above ('x5 now'). The effect per se is great, in my opinion, but I noticed that the vertical subcolumn produces some sort of shimmering - or waving artifacts - during horizontally scrolling scenes, but only at certain speeds. On the Mega Drive, for example, it's especially visible with Alisia Dragoon's intro, Streets of Rages 2's intro again (when Mr.X's hands appear and move over the city), whereas I can't spot it in Sonic, Alien Soldier or Strider.
The shimmering goes away entirely, if I bring down Subcolumn 1's strenght to 0, or use Line3x in whatever optimal mode (even though the nice scanlines effect also disappears, changing into a square grid which is way less appealing).

I assume all this has nothing to do with the OSSC itself, but it's caused by my monitor's scaling. Regardless, I thought to check it out here to see if anyone else encountered the same issue, and maybe found some workaround.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Must be the scaling yes, not even tweaking Pre-ADC can solve every artifacts situation.

That's why this addition to x5 I'm talking about would be great, at least for those who have a display that can do 1:1 1080/1200 or have scaling good-enough for it.

And even if it's not for solving scaling issues, it looks better than plain x3 anyway (though i've used the 512 'trick' for my shots to illustrate, which is far from ideal of course)

Galdelico wrote:With Custom SL (Subline 1 = 87%, Subcolumn 1 = 75%), in Line3x, generic 4:3, I get pretty much the same effect from Xyga's first picture above ('x5 now')
EDIT: by the way, in fact you shouldn't. Default x3 generic 4:3 with h + v, or custom 1 line + 1 column is supposed to look the way my other pic looks, so I'm not surprised you're easily seeing aritfacts.
Your monitor upscales the horizontal resolution before displaying maybe ? if so that would make what I suggest even more useful.
And you should snap a picture of it to show marqs, because if you have no control over it then that's an identified 'feature compatibility' problem.
Last edited by Xyga on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Xyga wrote:Must be the scaling yes, not even tweaking Pre-ADC can solve every artifacts situation.
Exactly, I also went back and checked your previous posts, but tweaking Pre-ADC didn't really change things that much/at all.

And yeah, I can do Line5x/native 1929x1080/generic 4:3 (at 1200, once again, monitor's scaling limitations come in, producing uneven horizontal scanlines). I tested it and of course it looks the best, with no shimmering and pretty much the same results posted by naz a few pages back. Unfortunatly - as stupid/petty as it sounds - I can't deal with the picture being cut off at top/bottom, so that's not a choice for me at the moment. In fact, I reverted back to simple horizontal scanlines, for now: with Line2x (optimal modes for 240p, bob for 480i) they still produce the most consistent and pleasing approximation to a crt effect, on my display.
Xyga wrote:EDIT: by the way, in fact you shouldn't. Default x3 generic 4:3 with h + v, or custom 1 line + 1 column is supposed to look the way my other pic looks, so I'm not surprised you're easily seeing aritfacts.
Your monitor upscales the horizontal resolution before displaying maybe ? if so that would make what I suggest even more useful.
And you should snap a picture of it to show marqs, because if you have no control over it then that's an identified 'feature compatibility' problem.
Most likely, it does.
I'll definitely take some pictures and post them here.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Sorry we seem to cross-post-and-edit, apparently the best for you would be x3, but the way you describe that mode is not displaying as it should on your monitor.

edit: yeah lol. cross cross.

edit: yeah one more while we're at it: for the picture top/bottom cutouts, I'm fine with them only with lower v-res games, like the MD's 224p, since so little is missing. For anything higher like 240p of course it's too bothersome.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

My bad, I always go back and forth editing. :mrgreen:

So, I managed to get some screenshots. First, apologies for the severe bloom. It's annoying, but it doesn't really change the scanlines' effect, so I left the images untouched.

On with the pics:

This is Line2x optimized for 320p (Japanese Sonic on a Japanese MD2), horizontal scanlines at 87%, 50% hybrid. No shimmering of course, all is perfect.
Pan: https://i.imgur.com/hooGftg.jpg
Zoom: https://i.imgur.com/FmdjnbB.jpg

These other two are from the same game, only in Line3x, generic 4:3, custom scanlines (subline1 87%, subcolumn1 87%), hybrid 50%.
Pan: https://i.imgur.com/KAGhdZH.jpg
Zoom: https://i.imgur.com/mj2dZ3s.jpg
This is where I get shimmering during horizontal scrolling in some games. It looks perfect - with no uneven patterns on still images - but the vertical subcolumn definitely clashes with my monitor's scaling: if I turn it down, to 0 the waving artifact completely disappears, and it doesn't even show up with the same settings + horizontal scanlines.

This last one is from Line5x, 1920x1080, generic 4:3, custom scanlines (subline1 and 5 87%, subcolumn1 87%), hybrid 50%.
Zoom: https://i.imgur.com/7Gwketv.jpg
Aside from top and bottom chops, everything is perfect, I guess thanks to the 1:1 rendering, with no shimmering and/or uneven patterns.

PS - I checked whether or not there was anything I could do with my monitor's settings, in order to reduce/get rid of the shimmering (overdrive, different aspect ratios...), but nope, no luck unfortunately.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

There must be some kind of misunderstanding, your x3 looks normal, it's like my second picture, not the first...

And your x5 like my first, as expected.

For the shimmering you get in x3 then, well I dunno, monitors have pretty limited options for that, with some it's the sharpness, others the aspect ratio, whatever processing, or even the overscan when available...

On the OSSC I can't think of anything besides Pre-ADC, the generic modes don't benefit from the new H. sample rate option (which I don't even know if it could help there)
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Xyga wrote:There must be some kind of misunderstanding, your x3 looks normal, it's like my second picture, not the first...

And your x5 like my first, as expected.
Yeah, definitely. I guess your second pic looked more 'grid-like' to me, compared to the first one, which is not the effect I could see on screen (I do, when I switch to optim. modes). Looking back at them side by side, I didn't really get things out right, while comparing my results with yours. Sorry about that. ^^;
Xyga wrote:For the shimmering you get in x3 then, well I dunno, monitors have pretty limited options for that, with some it's the sharpness, others the aspect ratio, whatever processing, or even the overscan when available...

On the OSSC I can't think of anything besides Pre-ADC, the generic modes don't benefit from the new H. sample rate option (which I don't even know if it could help there)
Yep. That's my case for sure. Overscan didn't do anything either.
Nonetheless, it's great to have more options, should I upgrade my display at some point. As for right now, I have no problem to switch back and stick to Horizontal scanlines.
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

So guys, thoughts on the Chinese OSSC from Aliexpress?
It looks and functions just like the original one from VGP apparently, but I want to see what other people think about this.

I bought a second hand OSSC and Im not really sure if it's from VGP or Aliexpress, but so far I had 0 issues.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

tongshadow wrote:So guys, thoughts on the Chinese OSSC from Aliexpress?
It looks and functions just like the original one from VGP apparently, but I want to see what other people think about this.

I bought a second hand OSSC and Im not really sure if it's from VGP or Aliexpress, but so far I had 0 issues.
It’s a bit of a gamble, but who knows how big of one? A user on the VGP forum had an issue (I think their blue channel was wigging out?). They posted a picture of the solder work under the SCART input and it was butchery.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Following my post (1st of this page) an option for vertical SL. alt interval might not be the best idea after all, since it's not thicker columns we want.

I've checked if I could make the 512x240 mode look fine for it, but no way to fix the jitter.

It has to be for x5 generic, some option to display only half the number of columns, if that's possible.

(hopefull marqs will notice, or I'll start a thread over at VGP in the requests board)
FlyingFinn

Post by FlyingFinn »

Does someone know any 1440p monitor that works well with OSSC 480i line 3x interlaced? I have been looking for suitable monitor and I want support for interlaced signals but 480i line 3x would added bonus.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

paulb_nl wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:Has anyone had the opportunity to pull/build paulb-nl's fork and try out the sample rate fine tuning?
That fine tuning is for those consoles that need a fractional samplerate in optimized mode like N64 and Genesis 320. With that you are able to adjust 1/4th and 1/5th samplerate in 320x240 LineX4 and LineX5 respectively.
I finally got around to making new profiles for my N64 and Genesis - this feature kicks ass!

Perfectly crispy by setting N64 to 386 and gen (320) to 427 with a fine tune of "2" on both
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

@marqs: I don't know if youve noticed my post up there (the one w/ pics) or maybe I've presented my idea in a way that doesn't make sense (sorry if that's the case)

The idea would be a setting to have only half the number of columns display, in 4:3 generic modes.

Anyway I don't know, maybe it's something too troublesome or that can't be done (or there's already a way I'm not aware of ^^)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm probably going to start being annoying by posting in this topic more and more now that I finally have my OSSC setup, and I'm already having issues on the first system I'm testing: a RGB modded NES.

Here's a video of Contra. Take a look at the brown/olive tree trunks on the background. When I'm moving (and the screen is scrolling forward) they dim/get darker. I stop and they're back to normal (best seen at the end of the video. This doesn't happen on my CRT. OSSC is reset to default, and I've tried 2-5x, scanlines on and off.

My TCL 49S517 4K TV is in in normal mode, tried with game mode on and off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-WT_Dc3Y1Q
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Hi all,

I’m considering a new 4K TV for my gaming system. Due to space constraints I’m limited to 43” size so I’m looking at the Vizio E43-F1. Anyone have experience with this TV and OSSC? Rtings mentioned poor upscaling of 480, 720 and even 1080 content. This has me concerned as I mainly use line 3x for good 720p scanlines. Any hands-on experiences would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Mario
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:I'm probably going to start being annoying by posting in this topic more and more now that I finally have my OSSC setup, and I'm already having issues on the first system I'm testing: a RGB modded NES.

Here's a video of Contra. Take a look at the brown/olive tree trunks on the background. When I'm moving (and the screen is scrolling forward) they dim/get darker. I stop and they're back to normal (best seen at the end of the video. This doesn't happen on my CRT. OSSC is reset to default, and I've tried 2-5x, scanlines on and off.

I'm pretty sure that is just how that kind of dithered (or thereabouts) imagery looks when in motion on a fixed-pixel display; it's unfortunately normal.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Dochartaigh wrote:I'm probably going to start being annoying by posting in this topic more and more now that I finally have my OSSC setup, and I'm already having issues on the first system I'm testing: a RGB modded NES.

It's not the OSSC. My TCL 55R617 does this too, even with emulators.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:I'm pretty sure that is just how that kind of dithered (or thereabouts) imagery looks when in motion on a fixed-pixel display; it's unfortunately normal.
Ugg. Figures this was the very first game I actually tried to play through my new upscaler setup. Any other games where this is clearly evident like this so I can see some more examples? (have pretty much every system and everdrives for them all).

I just ran through maybe 15 other games (like ~5 minutes on each) on NES, SNES, and Genesis and didn't see this 'dimming' happen anywhere else. I was just playing Sonic on Genesis, which is supposed to use heavy dithering -especially on the waterfalls- right? And didn't see anything like this happen. Even loaded up Wizards and Warriors on NES (only game I could think of with brownish colored trees on the first level like Contra has), and that one looked just fine.

cyborc wrote:It's not the OSSC. My TCL 55R617 does this too, even with emulators.
So you're in agreement with mmalinoski that this is normal? Not something to worry about, and not a problem with my TCL TV?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Just looks like slow pixel response time to me. I'm guessing the TCL has a VA panel? Certain color transitions will smear a little bit, causing some color change or ghosting. On my VA computer monitor I see the same effect just scrolling through the starfield background on this forum, for example.

I think generally IPS panels are a little faster, or of course there's OLED with nearly instant response time where you shouldn't see that at all.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

^ bob's right. typical of VA panels, nothing to worry about.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

Dochartaigh wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:I'm pretty sure that is just how that kind of dithered (or thereabouts) imagery looks when in motion on a fixed-pixel display; it's unfortunately normal.
Ugg. Figures this was the very first game I actually tried to play through my new upscaler setup. Any other games where this is clearly evident like this so I can see some more examples? (have pretty much every system and everdrives for them all).

I just ran through maybe 15 other games (like ~5 minutes on each) on NES, SNES, and Genesis and didn't see this 'dimming' happen anywhere else. I was just playing Sonic on Genesis, which is supposed to use heavy dithering -especially on the waterfalls- right? And didn't see anything like this happen. Even loaded up Wizards and Warriors on NES (only game I could think of with brownish colored trees on the first level like Contra has), and that one looked just fine.
I first noticed this effect in the first level of Shinobi 3, for what it's worth.
cyborc wrote:It's not the OSSC. My TCL 55R617 does this too, even with emulators.
So you're in agreement with mmalinoski that this is normal? Not something to worry about, and not a problem with my TCL TV?
Yeah like others said it's normal.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Try dragon warrior 4 on the Nes. That first town and castle make for a good example. Look how the castle walls blur on this person's Tcl tv

https://v.redd.it/0m3r0u80edk01

You should see how bad the effect is on ags-101 Gameboy advance screens. It's one area where crts and certain types of modern tvs excel in. Motion looks much better on plasma and oled screens. Youre coming off crts so it is especially evident. You'd be surprised how many people don't notice it until pointed out.
Sebastian.Atena

Post by Sebastian.Atena »

OSSC with Firmware v0.83aud fails to sync with PAL ps2 YPbPr correctly 2 out of 3 times, ossc syncs after rebooting it. It's especially annoying when running homebrew. I have reinstalled 0.82aud and it work correctly.
This is on ossc's screen when it fails to sync, note that correct refresh rate is 50hz
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1fqax92tmuu4 ... r.jpg?dl=0
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Anyone ever use an OSSC with a Panasonic Viera TC-P50G10? Just got one so not really experienced with all the settings.

NESRGB and SNES 2-chip via RGB just keep scrolling even at 2x mode and 3x like it can't lock on. 4x/5x shows nothing. Seems to be the norm from reading up.

PS1 outputs fine but I get slight shimmering at both 2x and 3x. 3x cuts off the vertical.

Just curious if there is a way to fix the shimmering/jitter? I tried adjusting sampling phase and I think optimal modes but I can never remove it. It only changes the locations.

In any case not that big of a deal since I play on a crt anyhow. Just would be nice to dial this in.

My chain is as follows: SNES CSYNC SCART + PS1 Sync on Luma > Gscart > output to OSSC.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Damn, I guess de-jitter is necessary. I thought we could get away with no blinking when on 60.08hz for the SNES.
I was just playing G.O.D growth or devolution and everything was blink-free up until the first battle. First battle has non stop blinking.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Has anybody had issues with their TV dropping signal when the OSSC is routed through a HDMI switcher? OSSC works fine hooked up directly to the TV. Other devices on the same HDMI switcher seem to be flawless.

I have an Extron SMX switcher with 8x8 HDMI card. It'll past through the (2,3,4,5x) signal of NES, SNES, Genesis, TG16, Saturn, PS1, and PS2 just fine at all those resolutions, BUT on occasion it'll drop signal and my TV will show no picture. Turn the switchers output off, then back on and it'll sometimes work again. Turning the OSSC off then on and I always get a signal back (but at some point it'll loose signal again).
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Anybody messing with the scanlines w/ both horizontal & vertical to try to get them to mirror what a Sony BVM CRT looks like? (I'm sure some are, but I'm still working my way backwards through this huge topic ;)

I've been trying for a bit now and decided to do a little test - and I've come to the conclusion that the addition of the vertical lines, while honestly cool as hell, isn't anywhere near fine enough to mirror a BVM - just don't think there's enough pixels left-to-right (and every other row really) because of the max 1080p output (ok, 1200px max, but close enough for this example). Would LOVE to try this again if there's ever a 4K OSSC released.

Looking at my most consumer-esque CRT I currently have setup (a Seleco SMV-300 Delta video wall monitor), using SNES Super Mario World intro screen, and looking at the top line of red of the "L", I'm counting 14 bars (don't know what to properly call these - phosphors?) left-to-right. My ~600 TVL PVM-type monitor has 15. My BVM-D20F1U (900 TVL) has 26! Flatscreen through OSSC has 15 (and FYI I needed to pump-up the hybrid scanlines to make it bright enough to match the CRT's which is why there isn't as clearly-defined scanlines/blanking lines).

Anybody have any favorite scanline settings for firmware 0.83 they want to share?