OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Galdelico

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Galdelico »

marqs wrote:My plan was to add some usability improvements (profile linking to input, audio gain adjust, and possibly integrate borti's backlight timeout changes) on the next fw and then implement extended scanline controls for the one following that. However, snes_dejitter and cps2_digiav projects have taken my attention recently, so those ossc features are still to be implemented/integrated. I'll probably now just go ahead and cram them into one fw update once those other projects are in suitable state.
Sounds good, thanks for replying! ^_-
noonan2678

Post by noonan2678 »

paulb_nl wrote:So you guys never need to change the Black Level setting on the LG OLEDs with any source? I have seen so many posts on forums about people having to change the Black Level with LG OLED and PS4.

@beer monkey What is the Black Level setting set at when you are using the OSSC? If it's on Low then it would be interesting that there is no crushing.
I have a 2017 C7 and never change the black level. What I'm wondering is if LG OLED owners are manually changing the input type to PC or not? That absolutely makes a difference with how blacks/color space are handled.

Curious what people are doing for movie viewing, modern gaming, then with the OSSC as well.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

marqs wrote:Yes, ossc outputs full-range 24bit RGB. It should be very easy to verify/select the correct setting on TV by just using power-on test pattern as reference.
Oh right! I keep forgetting that the testpattern also has a grayramp. Though because its a fluid gradient it might be difficult to notice colors being crushed at first glance if you don't know what it should look like.

Would it be ok if I add the grayramp from the 240p suite to the testpattern? Something like this:
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

This thread is so huge and I haven't a clue if this particular TV model has been mentioned so I'll just mention it, if it hasn't been.

I just picked up a cheap 43" Vizio as a spare TV to use as whatever, model D43n-E4, 1080P. I can confirm that this set handles all 5 of the OSSC's line modes and looks amazing. I got it at Walmart for $250 bucks.... I wasn't even necessarily expecting this cheap set to handle 3x mode, but when I tried 4x and namely, 5x, I was blown away at how incredible the picture quality was. I have a Framemeister as well and the 5X mode looked just as good, if not better as fully calibrated Framemeister settings. The TV also has a game mode which, made everything respond super-snappy. I can't believe how nice this TV plays with the OSSC. I'll never sh!t talk Vizios again. LOL! Below is 5x mode.

marqs

Post by marqs »

paulb_nl wrote:
marqs wrote:Yes, ossc outputs full-range 24bit RGB. It should be very easy to verify/select the correct setting on TV by just using power-on test pattern as reference.
Oh right! I keep forgetting that the testpattern also has a grayramp. Though because its a fluid gradient it might be difficult to notice colors being crushed at first glance if you don't know what it should look like.

Would it be ok if I add the grayramp from the 240p suite to the testpattern? Something like this:
Sure, it should be fine.
zak

Post by zak »

My PC-Engine loses sync through the OSSC each time I turn the console off.

The only way to make it sync again is to cycle though the AV modes again.

PC-Engine is using clean sync - LM1881 with 470ohm resistor.

Is there a way to stop this? :?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

BuckoA51 on vgp wrote:Line 5x crops the image on 1080p displays/devices.
Sorry to quote you from your own forums to speak here it's just that I'm just a lurker too lazy to register. :P

Just to say it's not true with a number that don't crop, even though personally I've found only one (the VX3211-mh monitor) thanks to Thomago's feeback here.

IIRC line x5 in 1080p mode was intended to work 1:1 leaving some lines out, it's just that many full-hd based displays/devices misunderstand the signal fom the OSSC in this configuration.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
zak

Post by zak »

zak wrote:My PC-Engine loses sync through the OSSC each time I turn the console off.

The only way to make it sync again is to cycle though the AV modes again.

PC-Engine is using clean sync - LM1881 with 470ohm resistor.

Is there a way to stop this? :?
Sounds like I need to remove the resistor?

https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... ync-issue/
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Just to say it's not true with a number that don't crop, even though personally I've found only one (the VX3211-mh monitor) thanks to Thomago's feeback here.
Are you sure you don't have it set to 1920x1200 and the display is just downscaling that a bit to fit?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Are you sure you don't have it set to 1920x1200 and the display is just downscaling that a bit to fit?
100% sure, it's x5 in 1920x1080 output mode. Pixel-perfect. Ask Thomago we have the same, this monitor is already good by itself but for the OSSC it is glorious, we've exchanged about it from p158 to 163 approximately.

This is how x5 is supposed to work on a full-hd, but for some reason few displays - tvs or monitors - accept it as is, most rescale the frame whatever the output mode, defeating its purpose.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Xyga wrote: This is how x5 is supposed to work on a full-hd, but for some reason few displays - tvs or monitors - accept it as is, most rescale the frame whatever the output mode, defeating its purpose.
Not as familiar with pc monitors, but to say that ”few” TVs display the Lx5 1080p output properly (of those that are compatible) is an exaggeration.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Harrumph wrote:
Xyga wrote: This is how x5 is supposed to work on a full-hd, but for some reason few displays - tvs or monitors - accept it as is, most rescale the frame whatever the output mode, defeating its purpose.
Not as familiar with pc monitors, but to say that ”few” TVs display the Lx5 1080p output properly (of those that are compatible) is an exaggeration.
Many 4K do, but no Full-HD I've tried so far (for the purpose of getting fullscreen non-scaled 1:1) could.
And where you'd expect Full-HD onitors to fare better, well...

EDIT: I guess 1:1 x5 is also possible with the few 4K that offer at least one integer scaling mode like some Sony, but I haven't seen/read any feedback about that yet, or I've missed it.

EDIT2: @BuckoA51: SCRATCH THAT I've misunderstood you completely! I understood cropped (the game frame) with the picture squished/scaled top+bottom.
I'm an airhead, but also probably the result of the trauma of seeing that scenario everywhere but on that ViewSonic monitor. *facepalm* thanks for the correction Fudoh.
So to clarify; it's the intended cropped x5 on 1:1 on 1080, that I've seen working only on one full-hd dispay, out of several I've tried.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I thought again about that comment I made about the x5 @1080 mode was just my formulation completely wrong, originally only meaning to say a number of full-hd displays don't actually display that mode right (1:1 cropped) and that personally I've only found one.
How I messed my own comment and reply to the expected wut reaction escapes me, that was a bad day.

In any case today's relatively fine and I was for the Nth time trying to decide which multiple mode I prefer for the MD and other low res consoles, especially taking vert shmups into consideration.
And well, after all there'll never be just one. Although for verts x4 is definitely better for motion clarity, the experience is almost always the same: 'depends on the game'
So since I switch multiples modes extremely often I think I'll remove them from my profiles.

One crazy thing would be to get the OSSC to identify the games individually and load per-game profiles, but I imagine it would require it to be able to read a huge list of code imbedded into the signal, or to communicate with a flashcart on the console side. :mrgreen:

edit: OSSC v1.7 needs A.I so it can guess all the hardware setup, games, and user's preferences.
Hubz

Post by Hubz »

Has anyone had any problems with the NT Mini connecting via SCART to the OSSC and not getting a picture with the Nintendo Core? The other cores all work fine and sync up but the NES core refuses to display anything. At 1x mode it will sometimes kinda blink on the screen where I can see the menu but that's it. It displays to my Sony PVM fine via RGB.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

You might have a display which cannot take the sync jitter present on the NES & SNES. Well, that is if NT Mini is so exact as to mimic this sync pattern.
Hubz

Post by Hubz »

Maybe so, what's weird is it can handle 5x on my other 240p systems fine. It's a LG 65C6P.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Hubz wrote:It's a LG 65C6P.
Should be compatible then. But we need more info, is it the OSSC that has no sync, what does the display show, LED is green or red, cable used etc?
Hubz

Post by Hubz »

OSSC seems to be okay with it, it registers at 262p, 15.74kHz 60.08Hz. Green light. When set at 1x or passthru it will display out of sync for a fraction of a second then go black. 2-5x all make my display act like it's not synced. Seems like my display can't handle what it's outputting on the NES Core.

I have it hooked up with retro access's Analogue NT Mini cable into a GScart that outputs to my PVM and the OSSC. Screen shows up fine on the PVM so I doubt it's the GScart. I can navigate the menu on the PVM and switch cores and then my display works fine. It seems only the NES Core has issues with my display.
hernan43

Post by hernan43 »

I'm having a bizarre issue with my OSSC. I've had it for a few months now and it has been working superb. I have it completely on the defaults with the exception that I have the initial input set to the RGBs Scart input.

Just today it started doing this thing where the screen blanks for an indeterminate amount of time before the picture comes back. It will be fine for a few seconds to a few minutes and then it will do it again. The LCD indicates no issues whatsoever. It doesn't matter what is plugged into the OSSC any console does it.

Turning the OSSC off for a while and then turning it back on seems to make the problem go away for a few minutes, but then it is right back to where it was with the screen blanking. I have an OSSC 1.6 on firmware v0.79.

Has anyone experienced this at all? It is a head scratcher because I haven't touched the OSSC in months. I did try resetting the settings and it made no difference. Is it possible there is a bad capacitor or something on the unit? I'm really grasping at straws here. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

--EDIT--

When I was checking the various connections and things I neglected to check the USB capture device I use(Elgato HD60S) which is also in that connection chain.

I just needed to unplug an re-plug in that device and it fixed everything. That particular device has an issue where if it is connected for too long of a time it has some sort of issue where it tries to re-initialize the HDMI over and over.
Last edited by hernan43 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Hubz wrote:OSSC seems to be okay with it, it registers at 262p, 15.74kHz 60.08Hz. Green light. When set at 1x or passthru it will display out of sync for a fraction of a second then go black. 2-5x all make my display act like it's not synced. Seems like my display can't handle what it's outputting on the NES Core.

I have it hooked up with retro access's Analogue NT Mini cable into a GScart that outputs to my PVM and the OSSC. Screen shows up fine on the PVM so I doubt it's the GScart. I can navigate the menu on the PVM and switch cores and then my display works fine. It seems only the NES Core has issues with my display.
You have tried it also direct NT Mini -> OSSC I presume (that's how you described it in your first post)?
That LG display is confirmed compatible with SNES up to x4 mode (x5 also but glitchy), and SNES has same exact refresh and similar, if not identical, sync jitter as NES.
Do you have access to a regular NES or SNES to try with your setup?

I guess it cannot be ruled out there was some update to the LG firmware recently which somehow caused this new incompatibility (though I would expect this had been reported by now). I do know some LG users have disabled FW auto-update to not get unpleasant surprises. Can't remember where I read that now.
Hubz

Post by Hubz »

Yep I'm doing NT Mini to OSSC. I don't anymore unfortunately, but I do remember running my old RGB SNES through a framemeister and it working.

Kevtris confirmed the issue to me and said he was going to make a fix for it but hasn't had time yet -

"Someone else had this issue. Amusingly, it's because of the NES video output and that missing pixel every other frame. I was going to add a menu option to disable this, but haven't had time. "
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

OSSCs are back in stock if anyone needs one - https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... converter/
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Does anybody have some suggestions for good OG XBox settings?

I played a bit with the horizontal samplerate, sync/backporch length, 480p input sampler option, phase etc. but it never looks 100% right. By default the image is shifted to the left, and even if I correct it as much as possible it is centered but still cropped a bit left&right. I can shift it around and see there's more. Also the pixels look a bit soft. I think the xbox might have some kind of filter or something on, I could probably fiddle with the settings (mine is softmodded and I see things like flicker filter control etc.). But in addition to the console side filter it just seems like the sampling of the OSSC and actual pixels are not quite aligned. For instance, turning on the 2x analog oversampling on the OSSC changes the look of the picture quite a bit, indicating that sampling phase or rate don't match what's being send by the console.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look awful, but it's noticeably less perfect than the DC over VGA and my PS2 now that I have quality component cables. Most consoles look really good with default settings, but I suspect the OG XBox might be worth having a dedicated profile for.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Some Xbox games use 640x480 while some actually use the full 720x480 area, if you're sampling e.g the dash at 640x480 then parts will be cropped.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Yeah, some OG Xbox are certainly real widescreen and require the DTV setting. Aspect looks correct then, but still a tiny bit cropped. There's some further tweaking required to make it look perfect.
FBX

Post by FBX »

My apologies if this has already been asked, but is it possible to add a post-conversion RGB gain menu for YPbPR input? The current implementation adjusts Luma for green and the difference of Luma for red and blue, making it impossible to actually balance the primary colors like you can with the simple gain function for RGB.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Quick video of the OSSC 1.6 in 480p 2x mode (and Upsample 2x on) + the DVDO VP50Pro (with the help of the advanced timing recipe developed by Markus and BuckoA51) upscaling the awesome real-time intro for Dead or Alive 3 v1.0 on the original Xbox. (1080p60)

(I want to do some more comparison videos later when I have time but here's a sneak peek)

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81IQnZ0iW8k

BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Lush, apart from anything else the improvement in colour and reduction in ringing really helps the image on those old ABT scalers which let's be fair their scaling engines are pretty poor by modern standards.

If only DVDO would make a 4k compatible VP60 Pro with a good new scaling engine but still 6ms input lag :mrgreen:
Blair

Post by Blair »

Thanks Bucko! Although, I just noticed a bunch of macro blocking on the YouTube video that's not in my master recording, :shock: I'll just have to re-upload later tonight. (annoying)
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

Blair wrote:Thanks Bucko! Although, I just noticed a bunch of macro blocking on the YouTube video that's not in my master recording, :shock: I'll just have to re-upload later tonight. (annoying)
Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing a source video! Before YouTube encoding got it's hands on it haha. Crazy cool you got 480x2 working on it though.