OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fandangos

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by fandangos »

FBX wrote: When people ask me the pros and cons of the FM versus the OSSC, where's what I tell them:

Framemeister:

1. Can ONLY integer scale on the vertical axis (and only with expert knowledge on how to dial it in). Horizontal is always interpolated on analog sources, and it does so in a way similar to bilinear filtering so there's no 'sizzle' in side scrolling. This is advantageous for CRT AR correction.

2. Can zoom to what ever size you want. So if you have a small active graphic window like in the case of Game Boy, you can zoom that sucker as large as you want.

3. Seems to work well with just about any display or capture device.

4. Has noise issues (solid colors look crappy).

5. Adds in something like 2 frames of lag.

6. Can't do sharp 480p scaling as it adds in a dithered edge effect (false contours).

7. RGB HDMI output processing is biased towards green (YPbPr has better balance)

8. Default color and brightness settings are WAY off for component input (around 37 brightness and 22 saturation are closer to correct).

9. Has superior features for deinterlacing over the OSSC.

10. Has two HDMI inputs that you can actually scale/zoom and output to a compatible footprint output (thus allowing you to use it as a converter for OSSC incompatibility issues, provided you have expert knowledge on how to scale to a perfect integer of the source HDMI coming from the OSSC).

11. Has a superior profile saving a loading system over the OSSC.

12. Maximum possible picture quality is inferior to the OSSC.

13. Boarder masking can be done (again with expert knowledge), though the top line of graphics are pinched while the bottom line is stretched. Can mess with your OCD.

14. Will often lock up in a black screen when adjusting Visual_Set dimensions. This can be corrected by waiting 10 seconds and pressing the corresponding input button to bring the picture back after another 5 seconds.

15. Completely lacks LPF control, causing consoles that need it externally to have jail bars (i.e. some revisions of the Sega Saturn).

OSSC:

1. Can be integer scaled from 1 to 5x for 240p sources.

2. Does not allow for zooming beyond 5x.

3. Has zero lag.

4. Had almost zero noise (requires lossless 4:4:4 capture to even spot any noise at all).

5. Optimal timing allows for 'digital-perfect' picture quality, but difficult to dial in without using a chart or proper test patterns.

6. Control over LPF (critical for some Saturn consoles that need external LPF).

7. Perfect control over RGB color bias (gain settings).

8. Inferior features for deinterlacing.

9. Much easier to use masking system.

10. 256 square pixel mode has off-center masking that pinches one side of the active 256 window. Can be corrected by increasing the active area to 257 and re-centering, but this causes the output to be an abnormal resolution that can sometimes randomly change on game boot-up.

11. Inferior profile system compared to the Framemeister.

12. Superior menu system using a native back-lit LCD screen.

13. Does not have HDMI input for scaling low res HDMI sources.

14. Component input for the RCA jacks are incorrectly arranged (has them in Blue-Green-Red order when it should be Green-Blue-Red).

15. Signal output is often incompatible with a lot of displays beyond 480p output.

-FBX
Thank you FBX for taking your time to write all this in reply to my question and also answering my PM about some issues on the FM.
I might be repeating what a few people already said but it seems both are incomplete solutions, still, the OSSC can improve and the FM is dead.

I ordered an OSSC a few minutes ago. Seeing some screenshots comparing both the OSSC just display a sharper image and without artifacts.

The biggest problem on my end will be incompatibility. After searching around OSSC's support forums I've found this about the TV I am about to get:
"XBR-55X900E | Lx3: Y | SNES: N | Lx4/5: ?/Y* | BambooTiger PS1/PS2 worked in most modes. SNES sync problems also described by copy at shmups forum."

The difference is that my model is 65 inches instead of 55. But this won't matter here.

What I want to test is: I have a Denon AVR 4300W and just an example, I run a 15 meters HDMI cable from my office PC to my home theater. This cable won't work directly into the TV but using the receiver it does work. This is using my receiver doing a pass through, so as expected this should not add lag. I even finished Cuphead expert mode using this setup.
So hopefully and it would be awesome if I could get x4 or x5 using the SNES without the dejitter mod. Even if my TV isn't compatible.

You know, one thing that would be great to test compatibility with TVs would be giving out a list of resolutions the OSSC can output in all modes.
Those resolutions could be tested with a PC using Nvidia (or AMD/intel) custom resolution.

5x for 240p would be 1600x1200, right?
4x 1280x960

And for the snes 256 x 224
4x 1024x896 and 5x 1280x1120.

So if I get those resolution to be shown on my TV with gpu scalling disabled this will give me an idea if my TV/AVR will support it.
Or am I mistaken? Also if those work, with automatic settings on the Nvidia side, since it tests GTF, CVT, CVT-reduced timmings until you get a picture this would give us information of what back/front porch, sync width should be used by the OSSC.

This is just a speculation, I don't even own an OSSC now. But isn't that a way to test without the OSSC?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Don't get your hopes up. It's more likely that your Denon receiver won't support anything but 480p either.

The problem with the OSSC aren't the output resolutions, but the timings it uses to create these resolutions. These are off-spec and it's hard to impossible to recreate these exact timings using a PC video card.

The knowledge and the enthusiasm neccessary to run the OSSC with a lot of sources are a huge obstacle for many potential users. In direct comparison it's dead easy to use the FM and you don't have to think about compatibility. Also 480i deinterlacing remains a huge deal. The format dominated the market for a long period and the way the OSSC handles the signal is nothing but a stopgap.
5x for 240p would be 1600x1200, right?
your choice. The OSSC can output this as 1080p, 1600x1200 or 1920x1200.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

fandangos wrote: You know, one thing that would be great to test compatibility with TVs would be giving out a list of resolutions the OSSC can output in all modes.
Those resolutions could be tested with a PC using Nvidia (or AMD/intel) custom resolution.

... But isn't that a way to test without the OSSC?
Well, it’s not entirely simple, but it is possible using a modeline generator from PC.
What you have to consider is that the resolutions need to take in account also the vertical and horizontal blanking lines and the exact refresh rate, which are specific to each console, as well as the sampling rate and multiplication mode of OSSC.

Also, the nes/snes sync jitter will not be replicated.

Example modelines for NES/SNES are in the wiki optimal timings page. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... al_timings
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Has anyone tested OSSC compatibility with the LG OLED55C7P TV? I looked at an OSSC compatibility list and didn't notice it being on there.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-O ... dpSrc=srch
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

Woozle wrote:Has anyone tested OSSC compatibility with the LG OLED55C7P TV? I looked at an OSSC compatibility list and didn't notice it being on there.

I've got a C7. No issues with any console I've thrown at it from 2x - 5x. Absolutely love it, if you need anything tested let me know.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Thamiel wrote:
Woozle wrote:Has anyone tested OSSC compatibility with the LG OLED55C7P TV? I looked at an OSSC compatibility list and didn't notice it being on there.

I've got a C7. No issues with any console I've thrown at it from 2x - 5x. Absolutely love it, if you need anything tested let me know.

Thanks for replying! I'm mainly concerned with SNES compatibility. Also interested to know how it handles 480p, 720p, 960p, and 1080p scaling. Have you tried a Gamecube -> OSSC -> C7, if so how does it look?
marqs

Post by marqs »

Harrumph wrote:
fandangos wrote: You know, one thing that would be great to test compatibility with TVs would be giving out a list of resolutions the OSSC can output in all modes.

... But isn't that a way to test without the OSSC?
Well, it’s not entirely simple, but it is possible using a modeline generator from PC.
What you have to consider is that the resolutions need to take in account also the vertical and horizontal blanking lines and the exact refresh rate, which are specific to each console, as well as the sampling rate and multiplication mode of OSSC.

Also, the nes/snes sync jitter will not be replicated.

Example modelines for NES/SNES are in the wiki optimal timings page. http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?titl ... al_timings
A few "more challenging" modelines are listed on this page as well.
Woozle wrote:Thanks for replying! I'm mainly concerned with SNES compatibility.
SNES 240p compatibility should become on par with other consoles if you install de-jitter mod.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

marqs wrote:
Woozle wrote:Thanks for replying! I'm mainly concerned with SNES compatibility.
SNES 240p compatibility should become on par with other consoles if you install de-jitter mod.
That's a good point. I've never had any issues with SNES and my current TV so I never bothered to install a de-jitter board. I have most of the SMD parts already except the main IC, maybe I'll assemble/install one for fun.

Thanks for designing all of this cool stuff and making it openly available.
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

Woozle wrote:
Thamiel wrote:

Thanks for replying! I'm mainly concerned with SNES compatibility. Also interested to know how it handles 480p, 720p, 960p, and 1080p scaling. Have you tried a Gamecube -> OSSC -> C7, if so how does it look?
I'm not on firebrandx level of pixel peeping, but the image looks fantastic to me whatever the ossc output is set at. As long as 1:1 is set on the TV it's basically just a differing degree of softness. Personally I use 3x but that's because I use scanlines and I don't like how they appear at 5x.

Haven't had a single drop out with the SNES, basically the only console I play these days.

Out of luck on the gamecube dude, sorry. Stupidly got rid of mine just before the GBI software was released, never got around to acquiring another one. Pretty much have all the other major consoles though.

Woozle

Post by Woozle »

Thamiel wrote:I'm not on firebrandx level of pixel peeping, but the image looks fantastic to me whatever the ossc output is set at. As long as 1:1 is set on the TV it's basically just a differing degree of softness. Personally I use 3x but that's because I use scanlines and I don't like how they appear at 5x.

Haven't had a single drop out with the SNES, basically the only console I play these days.

Out of luck on the gamecube dude, sorry. Stupidly got rid of mine just before the GBI software was released, never got around to acquiring another one. Pretty much have all the other major consoles though.

As long as the scaling isn't terrible I'm sure it'll be fine with me. I don't plan on using GBI, I mostly just wanted to play Luigi's Mansion with the nice OLED black levels.

Do you have an OSSC with audio-integration? If not how do you get the analog audio into the TV?
James-F

Post by James-F »

https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... -controls/
Test firmware for the OSSC that fixed the clipped whites for the 1Chip or any other hotter console without modification.
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

That's a really cool feature. I always thought the gain control was pre-ADC and assumed the range to turn it down was so small because that's the voltage range of the video chip. I guess if the current gain controls are in the digital realm it's just making use of the extra headroom afforded by the 10bit DAC? The current situation is already quite good because there's plenty of room to crank it up if your console is too dark, and overly bright consoles can be tamed by resistors in the SCART head if you're afraid of touching the console, but this is still a neat improvement to have. Hope there's a few bytes left for a menu entry and setting gain on the digitizer chip so this can be merged into the official firmware ;-)
James-F

Post by James-F »

ASDR wrote: I guess if the current gain controls are in the digital realm it's just making use of the extra headroom afforded by the 10bit DAC?
There is no DAC only ADC, but yes, the Fine Gain controls will scale the already digitized bits, while Coarse will scale the analog voltage before the ADC.

I think there will be some room for this option in the menu since paul_nl already posted a test v0.81 firmware with this option called "Analog gain".

Re-posting my reply from VGP forum:

Input (analog) to output (digital) mapping equation for the OSSC;

Code: Select all

(0.714*1.3)*(1+(26/256))
0.714 peak input voltage.
1.3 (default in OSSC) coarse gain (0.5-2.0).
26 (default in OSSC) fine gain (0-255).
Pre ADC input level (0.714*1.3) should be less than 1.0v to prevent clipping in the digitization stage.
Post (fine) gain should be adjusted so the total equation result is exactly 1.0 for proper mapping to 0-255 digital.

1Chip SNES consoles output 0.8V stock.
Video Level Specification is 0.714V.
Current OSSC firmware with 1.3 (not changeable) and 26 (default) will scale 0.700v to 0-255,, and with fine gain=0: 0.77v to 0-255, or 0.7v to 0-214.
Last edited by James-F on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thamiel

Post by Thamiel »

Woozle wrote:
Thamiel wrote:I'm not on firebrandx level of pixel peeping, but the image looks fantastic to me whatever the ossc output is set at. As long as 1:1 is set on the TV it's basically just a differing degree of softness. Personally I use 3x but that's because I use scanlines and I don't like how they appear at 5x.

As long as the scaling isn't terrible I'm sure it'll be fine with me. I don't plan on using GBI, I mostly just wanted to play Luigi's Mansion with the nice OLED black levels.

Do you have an OSSC with audio-integration? If not how do you get the analog audio into the TV?
I've got a 1.5 so no audio integration. The one thing that annoys me a little with the TV is that you can't run audio into the analogue input and tie it to a hdmi input, or at least I havnt been able to find a straight answer as to whether it's possible. I was able to do that on my Sony w800a.

Not a deal breaker though, I just run the audio directly to a set of external speakers. May upgrade to a 1.6 ossc at some point.

BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

The knowledge and the enthusiasm neccessary to run the OSSC with a lot of sources are a huge obstacle for many potential users.
Indeed I would not debate this, actually the low number of returns we've had (due to incompatibilities or people just not liking it) has surprised me.

It is what it is, it was never meant to fully replace the Framemeister.
I will give it a go with a PS2 and report back. However I do quite like the 'dated, ringing-prone scaling' of the VP50 anyway.
Thanks, I don't mind it with scanlines on either, but 480px2 with allow upsample2x definitely looks better.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
FBX

Post by FBX »

My own opinion is the OSSC is amazing with the right setup and knowledge. And in fact can be used to effectively 'improve' the Framemeister when you combine the two. One of my biggest feats of 'expertise' in the two scalers was taking the Dreamcast VGA output into a Toro box, feeding that to the OSSC, line-doubling the 480p to 960p, feeding that output into HDMI port 1 on the Framemeister, scaling it to perfect 1:1 pixel AR in the Framemeister, and then outputting that to 1920x1080p HDMI footprint. The net result was a total circumvention of the Framemeister's horrid 480p scaling, and it gave an excellent picture on my 1080p display (which wouldn't have accepted the OSSC's output directly).
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

BuckoA51 wrote:
The knowledge and the enthusiasm neccessary to run the OSSC with a lot of sources are a huge obstacle for many potential users.
Indeed I would not debate this, actually the low number of returns we've had (due to incompatibilities or people just not liking it) has surprised me.
Proprer communication about the unguaranteed compatibilities of the various modes: few complaints as expected. Most people are aware in advance of the quirks when they buy.

Otherwise I don't understand you guys, honestly when used with a display known for its good compatibility it's the easiest, most straightforward external processor I've ever used, with absolutely outstanding results out of the box without tweaking much if anything.
This performance and quality with no lag is literally murdering competition.

IMHO - also thanks to it's other functions like transcoding, scanliner, lag tester - it's even greater a leap forward in terms of vg-dedicated hardware than the old analogue XRGBs were in their faraway time, and as important as advanced flash/SD devices are to retro games enthusiasts in this era.

The only thing that could be better would be a different 'Monster OSSC', featuring bi-processing with modes switchable/selectable a la XRGB3, one being the original low-lag multiplier, the other a fully processed one for forcing compatibility with displays, yokoatate-ing, deinterlacing consoles like the PS2 even better than the Mini or ABT102.
AKA the extra complex very expensive machine of dreams that probably won't exist ever.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

I quit retro gaming some time ago but I decided to get back into with. I used to own a Framemeister which I did like a lot. I thought that this time I should get an OSSC instead (a bit cheaper to start with) - but I am worried about possible incompatibilities. I have looked up my TVs and monitors in the compatibility list, but none are listed, so it is quite a gamble. Couple of questions...

1. Is it basically a given that all (nearly?) TVs will support the OSSC in x2 mode?
2. How clean/sharp will x2 mode look on a 55" Full HD TV?

Thanks!

PS. I'm interested mostly in PC Engine
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Everblue wrote:1. Is it basically a given that all (nearly?) TVs will support the OSSC in x2 mode?
Not a given especially with consoles that have a problematic sync signal. The PCE is among those unfortunately.
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Xer Xian wrote:
Everblue wrote:1. Is it basically a given that all (nearly?) TVs will support the OSSC in x2 mode?
Not a given especially with consoles that have a problematic sync signal. The PCE is among those unfortunately.
Oh... Meanwhile I have tester my SuperNT at 480p on my Samsung TV, and the picture is anything but great (basicaly TV scaling sucks) - very muddy picture. So I guess I will go for the FM again.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

That's the thing with the OSSC; it comes down to the TV or monitor. If you have one with good to full compatibility: nothing beats that combo.

x2 most often won't look glorious, about the quality of the best analogue XRGB linedoublers of the past and even a bit better though that also depends on your TV's own scaling ability, 4K sets suck harder than average at 480p (except maybe Sony). If you have a set with most of your machines working at x3 though it'll be great.
x4 and x5 are the icing.

In the US some affordable Vizio and TCL sets are known to team up very well with the OSSC, then at the top you have the LG OLEDs.
That's when you're looking in-between that it's more complicated (Sony, Samsung, etc. you only have the known list, the feedback of users on various forums if the set's not listed...or throw the dice. In Europe we have to make do with those)

The option to get another scaler in-between to increase the compatibility is, IMHO, mediocre in terms of investment considering you either get rather limited access to greater mucltiple modes (DVDO) or lose the zero-lag performance (Mini or other 1,5/2 frames processors)

So it's really about the display.
Monitors easily have greater compatibility for a large number of systems than TVs although not always up to x4 and x5, and they're cheaper, but of course also smaller.
At the moment I'm using a fully compatible 200 bucks 32" monitor, it's amazing, but no need to say I'm keeping an eye on bigger options including OLEDs. I'm patient-enough to wait until I get the best possible large display for the OSSC, but I know not everyone is willing to wait-and-see while using a smaller one like I do.
Some compromise with LCD TVs that can't support everything but still enough systems and multiples for the consoles 'n stuff they have, and are still quite happy.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

FWIW, the DVDO vp50pro does x3 and x5 out of the box and you can tweak a little to get 480px2. So, there's not much of a compromise for the OSSC output modes.

The internal processing compression and slight ringing are my complaints for the DVDO. :(
We apologise for the inconvenience
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It's expensive though! money better put in a new display, I think.
Chaining the OSSC with another processor that's good for it (not utterly ruining its picture quality or lag performance) easily gets you past the 600 or 800 zeni bar.
cleeg

Post by cleeg »

Hello all, it's been a while since I've had time to browse here, and don't have time to catch up on all I've missed so please forgive me if this has already been answered: 288p PAL output from a PS1 gives me a black screen, it was fixed on an older FW (0.76?) by changing vertically active to 300 along with some other settings, but I can't solve the issue on any later FW, including 0.8, despite making the same 300 adjustment.

Any solutions are greatly appreciated.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Everblue wrote:I quit retro gaming some time ago but I decided to get back into with. I used to own a Framemeister which I did like a lot. I thought that this time I should get an OSSC instead (a bit cheaper to start with) - but I am worried about possible incompatibilities. I have looked up my TVs and monitors in the compatibility list, but none are listed, so it is quite a gamble. Couple of questions...

1. Is it basically a given that all (nearly?) TVs will support the OSSC in x2 mode?

Thanks!

What tv model do you have? Samsungs are very likely to display lx3 at the least.
Also I would not be as pessimistic as Xer Xian sounds. PC engine is kind of a clusterfuck, but that seems more to do with cable confusion and bad mods, not due to OSSC.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

Thanks, I don't mind it with scanlines on either, but 480px2 with allow upsample2x definitely looks better.
Yes your settings for 480p 2x do get a picture using VP50 and PS2, and it looks nice. VP50 thinks it is getting SXGA. Whether it is nice enough to then endlessly fiddle about with the zoom/aspect controls is another matter though. I think I sit too far back to notice.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yes your settings for 480p 2x do get a picture using VP50 and PS2, and it looks nice.
Many thanks for giving it a try.
Whether it is nice enough to then endlessly fiddle about with the zoom/aspect controls is another matter though. I think I sit too far back to notice.
Can't you save zoom/AR presets on the 50, like the 50 pro?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

BuckoA51 wrote:Can't you save zoom/AR presets on the 50, like the 50 pro?
Yes you can, and for somebody who sits closer to the screen than me or has a bigger screen, it would probably be worth doing.
Everblue

Post by Everblue »

Harrumph wrote:
Everblue wrote:I quit retro gaming some time ago but I decided to get back into with. I used to own a Framemeister which I did like a lot. I thought that this time I should get an OSSC instead (a bit cheaper to start with) - but I am worried about possible incompatibilities. I have looked up my TVs and monitors in the compatibility list, but none are listed, so it is quite a gamble. Couple of questions...

Thanks!

What tv model do you have? Samsungs are very likely to display lx3 at the least.
Also I would not be as pessimistic as Xer Xian sounds. PC engine is kind of a clusterfuck, but that seems more to do with cable confusion and bad mods, not due to OSSC.
It is a Samsung UE55F6510S, I can't find any info about it regarding the ossc.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

I suffered the bob deinterlace LG ips image retention issue again. I was messing with settings and did a firmaware update and didn't notice that my ossc had gone back to the default 480i/576i bob deinterlace setting. After only a short time (half an hour) on a game that has static elements on screen, these parts of the image were 'burned in' (also described as image retention or after-flicker) very clearly, and the set has been off all night but it is taking a long time for this effect to fade away this time. I've seen one other user reporting this issue in this thread, and this is potentially a very nasty issue for users of LG ips panels.

Marqs and bucko:

1. There should be at least a few lines on the ossc wiki warning about bob deinterlace causing image retention or after-flicker on LG ips.
2. At least consider making 480i/576i passthrough mode the default setting in future firmwares.