OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sirotaca

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Sirotaca »

RottenToTheGore wrote:Someone on the VGP forums mentioned that the OSSC in passthrough had a terrible image with 4:3 content, like the aspect ratio was way off.

Which got me thinking, is there anything 4:3 that would have any reason to be used with passthrough on the OSSC? Only thing I can think of would be if you'd rather not use it's deinterlacing.
I think something is being misinterpreted here. The OSSC does passthrough just fine with the expected results, which will vary wildly depending on how well your TV scales low-resolution content. The aspect ratio isn't way off, though it's slightly off due to HDMI specifying an 8:9 pixel aspect ratio for 480i/p and analog component typically assuming 10:11.
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Sirotaca wrote:I think something is being misinterpreted here. The OSSC does passthrough just fine with the expected results, which will vary wildly depending on how well your TV scales low-resolution content. The aspect ratio isn't way off, though it's slightly off due to HDMI specifying an 8:9 pixel aspect ratio for 480i/p and analog component typically assuming 10:11.
My fault, I left out details. It was about how a particular TV model handles 4:3 in general, which came up when passthrough was used on the OSSC.

But that's what made me wonder if there's any reason besides not liking the OSSC's deinterlacing that you would want to use passthrough for.
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

RottenToTheGore wrote: My fault, I left out details. It was about how a particular TV model handles 4:3 in general, which came up when passthrough was used on the OSSC.

But that's what made me wonder if there's any reason besides not liking the OSSC's deinterlacing that you would want to use passthrough for.
Ah, I see. Well, there are plenty of people who don't like the heavily aliased/pixelated look of 2x480p. I'm not one of those people (if my eyes aren't bleeding it's not sharp enough), but there's certainly a case to be made for using passthrough for 480p even if the display supports 960p (not all do). Most games aren't really doing "pixel art" at that resolution, so letting the display smooth out the edges a bit makes sense.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

jdawg131 wrote:Line2x didn't work for 480i from my two PS2s (1x USA and 1x JPN), but Line3x (although text is super jumpy) and Line4x do.
What do you mean by "didn't work"? No image? Looks funny?

In my case, I'll either do passthrough or Line2x with scanlines enabled (looks better/less shimmery to me with black lines inserted for missing fields than doubled lines) for 480i content.
jdawg131

Post by jdawg131 »

nmalinoski wrote:
jdawg131 wrote:Line2x didn't work for 480i from my two PS2s (1x USA and 1x JPN), but Line3x (although text is super jumpy) and Line4x do.
What do you mean by "didn't work"? No image? Looks funny?
No image.
Guile

Post by Guile »

I have a bit of an emergency with my OSSC. I was trying out different scaler combinations with the VGA input and something has gone wrong. The image is now way too bright and overblown and looks slightly greener than it should on the YPbPr AV2.

I tried resetting settings and restarting, I tried reinstalling firmware 0.88 but the issue is still there.

I checked my cables as well and they seem fine, did a component get damaged or something? This is pretty upsetting as it ruins the entire image and I cannot fix it.

Edit: Well it seems like it was my new component distribution amp that is maybe bad. I tried my old one again and it looks good again on the OSSC so maybe the new one is sending out a bad signal though it looks fine on a crt and looked fine before.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Most component switches I've owned liked to boost the signal and make it too hot, to the point where my plasma would drop sync on brighter scenes. Don't know if that could be related?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Guile

Post by Guile »

bobrocks95 wrote:Most component switches I've owned liked to boost the signal and make it too hot, to the point where my plasma would drop sync on brighter scenes. Don't know if that could be related?
I hadn't thought of that, I do have a component switch that then goes to a distribution amp. They worked together without issue but the new amp I tested did produce the blown out image. I'll have to test it again and see if it's usable.
TrantaLocked_

Post by TrantaLocked_ »

I've been talking about this on the VGP forums but essentially, I have identified that I need a small blue gain increase for my setup with an Xbox over component through the OSSC to my monitor. The problem is that chroma (Pb and Pr) gain scales the absolute value of the chroma range, which means yellow (-128 to 0) becomes more yellow while blue (0 to +128) becomes more blue. I know I need a gain adjustment because a Pb offset adjustment up to around 131 or 132 looks more correct in bright scenes while default or 129 looks more correct in dark scenes, suggesting that a gain scale would be more suitable.

I'm happy doing the offset adjustment at a compromise position of 130 or 131 for now, but it would be very helpful to have a Pb/Pr gain adjustment feature that only scaled in one direction with -128 as a baseline (or maybe 0 as baseline with no scaling on the negative values. I don't know for sure which I need). Then that gain setting would be good for all scenes/games and be the most technically correct. As far as I can tell, Y gain already scales this way, as in positively only from the lowest value as baseline, so I assume this should be possible for the chroma values too.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Ignore this post (You're clearly doing it anyway)
Last edited by headlesshobbs on Sat May 01, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Lux

Post by Lux »

Noob question here. I started venturing yesterday into the optimal timings menus, but this page shows like four different possibilities with PS1 games. I guess I just have to know which game uses which resolution in order to chose the correct timings ? Is there a comprehensive list of PS1 games (and other retro consoles) with their resolution ?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lux wrote:Noob question here. I started venturing yesterday into the optimal timings menus, but this page shows like four different possibilities with PS1 games. I guess I just have to know which game uses which resolution in order to chose the correct timings ? Is there a comprehensive list of PS1 games (and other retro consoles) with their resolution ?
Yeah, you need to know or guess a couple times what each game's resolution is. And plenty of PS1 games are going to switch res on menus and cutscenes so suddenly your settings will be wrong. It's why I usually don't bother with optimal settings.

FBX does have a pretty comprehensive list of Genesis/MD games' resolutions on his site.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Tested the PS4 with ossc today and had some impressive results

1080i with scanline alt interval on and cross scanline for line count effect

Ninja Saviors = Success!
Gunlord X = Success!
Wild Arms = Success!
Fast Striker = Success! (turn brightness up or game will have strobe flicker)
Axiom Verge = Success! (Pixel art turned legit!)

Better then one could hope! The ossc smoked the ever living @#$% out of whatever filters the developers thought their games would look good with, Gunlord especially. I would like to see future ACA titles if I decide on buying any down the line.

Tested with cross scanlines to assist game's own scanlines

Xenon Valkyrie
Ninja Warriors

Both have their own scanline filters in place and do a great job when paired up. Xenon really surprised me and brought back an image that's Trinitron quality. Warriors was sharp and with 3 screens in one, it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Tested in 720p

Ms. Pacman

I'll just say Namco doesn't know what the hell a scanline is.

Failed (kinda)

Sonic Mania
Metagal (Megaman clone)
Bloodstained Curse of the moon
Any of the classic DOOM games

I don't know what the hell is every developer's problem they can't understand either interger or nearest neighbor, but they always have something with the scaling that's "off" and places the scanlines inaccurately. Sonic and Meta were very close on nailing it. Doom on the other hand... you're more to have luck downscaling or adding scanlines to the original.

I know I've stated it before, but the ossc "REALLY NEEDS" a way to make alt interval scanlines work on 1080p signals. I'm also kinda sore on the fact there aren't any kind of filter modes that work with 720p/1080p signals when the same options are working on lower resolutoions.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

headlesshobbs wrote:Tested the PS4 with ossc today and had some impressive results

1080i with scanline alt interval on and cross scanline for line count effect

Ninja Saviors = Success!
Gunlord X = Success!
Wild Arms = Success!
Fast Striker = Success! (turn brightness up or game will have strobe flicker)
Axiom Verge = Success! (Pixel art turned legit!)

Better then one could hope! The ossc smoked the ever living @#$% out of whatever filters the developers thought their games would look good with, Gunlord especially. I would like to see future ACA titles if I decide on buying any down the line.

Tested with cross scanlines to assist game's own scanlines

Xenon Valkyrie
Ninja Warriors

Both have their own scanline filters in place and do a great job when paired up. Xenon really surprised me and brought back an image that's Trinitron quality. Warriors was sharp and with 3 screens in one, it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Tested in 720p

Ms. Pacman

I'll just say Namco doesn't know what the hell a scanline is.

Failed (kinda)

Sonic Mania
Metagal (Megaman clone)
Bloodstained Curse of the moon
Any of the classic DOOM games

I don't know what the hell is every developer's problem they can't understand either interger or nearest neighbor, but they always have something with the scaling that's "off" and places the scanlines inaccurately. Sonic and Meta were very close on nailing it. Doom on the other hand... you're more to have luck downscaling or adding scanlines to the original.

I know I've stated it before, but the ossc "REALLY NEEDS" a way to make alt interval scanlines work on 1080p signals. I'm also kinda sore on the fact there aren't any kind of filter modes that work with 720p/1080p signals when the same options are working on lower resolutoions.
How did you route the PS4 through an OSSC?
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

ldeveraux wrote:How did you route the PS4 through an OSSC?
Atm I'm using a Blackweb multi hdmi and onn hdmi to vga.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Gunlord X = Success!
I had quite a bit of trouble getting Gunlord looking good when I was testing downscaling on the pro, but that was with the Switch version. Does the PS4 version support proper 4:3?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Detana

Post by Detana »

Hi All, my first post on the forum :)

I bought a OSSC a couple of years ago, mainly to use my X68000's on a standard VGA monitor, and it's been great!

However, it has started to show blue dots which look like some sort of interference. I have tried other cables and different settings, but it it has worked perfectly for 2 years with the same settings :?

Has anyone experienced this, and is it repairable?

Here is a photo, the speckles show in all black but it's difficult to see in a photo. I have changed the resolution so you can see this phenomenon better:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tSjrQd ... sp=sharing
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

headlesshobbs wrote:
Ok then, why are you doing this?
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

BuckoA51 wrote:
Gunlord X = Success!
I had quite a bit of trouble getting Gunlord looking good when I was testing downscaling on the pro, but that was with the Switch version. Does the PS4 version support proper 4:3?
Gunlord PS4 does not scale interger when stretched from full screen and you have to use the game's own scanlines. 720p or 1080p will depend on if you get moir patterns and you can still use vertical scanlines with them in 1080p for nearly the same effect I had at 1080i.

I'm trying full screen stretch with 4:3 on my lcd and pc crt. It works that way as a decent alt if downscaling doesn't work.
ldeveraux wrote:
headlesshobbs wrote:
Ok then, why are you doing this?
I have to run a multi connection with my setup because I not only need the tv to perform the handshake, but also to run my pc crt for comparison. If you're asking why as opposed to using an lcd, some games are native widescreen so it can't be helped. I much rather see them in this method then how they were presented in the first place.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

If I'm getting small green flickering pixels in line x5 mode, would I benefit from flashing one of the alternate seeds firmwares? I tried switching HDMI cables and that's not the issue. Noticed on PS1 with sync stripper and Genesis so far, both were in generic 4:3 mode.

Also can anything be done about ringing in a generic mode? Obviously generic isn't as sharp, but I'd love the look on SNES if it didn't have ghosting to the right.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

Usually this happens when you set hybrid up too high. Sometimes pre-adc with it will boost the chance of it happening.

Put the other modes on normal first then go to your R/G/B/ offsets and raise the value of those a little bit as you set your scanlines. You need this to help balance the dark levels with them, then you should only run adc up 1 or 2 notches depending how contrast holds out and don't put hybrid beyond 25% unless it looks ok.

Beyond that I'm doubtful if firmware will be that big a deal since I'm on .88 and it can still happen. Still update though.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

headlesshobbs wrote:Usually this happens when you set hybrid up too high. Sometimes pre-adc with it will boost the chance of it happening.

Put the other modes on normal first then go to your R/G/B/ offsets and raise the value of those a little bit as you set your scanlines. You need this to help balance the dark levels with them, then you should only run adc up 1 or 2 notches depending how contrast holds out and don't put hybrid beyond 25% unless it looks ok.

Beyond that I'm doubtful if firmware will be that big a deal since I'm on .88 and it can still happen. Still update though.
I'm not using scanlines though, and I'm pretty sure the pre-adc gains and offsets are at their default values. I might try to get a video of it, or find one that shows similar artifacts.

The alternate firmware I've seen marqs mention was the same version (I'm on the latest) but compiled a different way. I forget exactly what purpose it was for though. Marqs posted it a couple times when people brought up specific problems to see if the recompile would fix them.

EDIT: Looks like this and seems to predominantly be at the bottom of the screen: https://www.reddit.com/r/OSSC/comments/ ... ng_pixels/
I had actually found that when googling before and didn't watch the video before commenting on it lol. I'm getting the same problem.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

headlesshobbs wrote: If you're asking why as opposed to using an lcd, some games are native widescreen so it can't be helped. I much rather see them in this method then how they were presented in the first place.
You'd rather view a 4k capable device (PS4) through a CRT than through a 4k capable display (modern TV) why?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

bobrocks95 wrote:EDIT: Looks like this and seems to predominantly be at the bottom of the screen: https://www.reddit.com/r/OSSC/comments/ ... ng_pixels/
I had this exact problem and I'm pretty sure it's due to the power supply.

ldeveraux wrote:You'd rather view a 4k capable device (PS4) through a CRT than through a 4k capable display (modern TV) why?
Maybe it's not a PS4 Pro but a base PS4 that tops at 1080p if I recall correctly. Could also be because the CRT can provide absolute motion clarity at 60hz for 60fps content that nothing else can do as well, and that may matter to some people more than the highest resolution available.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

fernan1234 wrote:I had this exact problem and I'm pretty sure it's due to the power supply.
Huh, I might have another to test with. Pretty crummy if the PSU included by videogameperfection is the issue. Wonder if bucko has seen this before...

Any particular recommended replacement?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Just try any other 5V 1A+ adapter you may have lying around. Two random ones I had from other devices worked well, so it's probably more of a problem with the particular power brick that's included, or at least some of them.
Roke

Post by Roke »

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this (if it isn't, please let me know where would be more appropriate), but I am having a hard time troubleshooting my DIY OSSC. I've put together a few in the past without problems, but I'm doing another one now as a gift and can't figure out what's going on. The issue is that the OSSC usually starts up with a blank screen, but can occasionally display garbled text. The FPGA programming succeeds without any errors. The OSSC actually works to some degree, the test pattern displays when starting up and it could display output when I tested with my N64, though there is flickering on the image that isn't present on my other working OSSC.

I've attached some images below and a clip of the flickering here. To make sure it wasn't the FPGA I replaced it with another one I had, but I'm getting the same problem.

I've checked with a microscope for any solder bridges etc., and couldn't find any. I've also reflowed solder on all the components. Anyone have an idea of which components could be at fault here?

Thanks!

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

fernan1234 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:You'd rather view a 4k capable device (PS4) through a CRT than through a 4k capable display (modern TV) why?
Maybe it's not a PS4 Pro but a base PS4 that tops at 1080p if I recall correctly. Could also be because the CRT can provide absolute motion clarity at 60hz for 60fps content that nothing else can do as well, and that may matter to some people more than the highest resolution available.
We're going round in circles. Why would anyone want to play a modern console on a CRT? 1080p, even 720p, just why? What's the point? To say you can? Why play on a smaller screen without modern convenience?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

ldeveraux wrote:We're going round in circles. Why would anyone want to play a modern console on a CRT? 1080p, even 720p, just why? What's the point? To say you can? Why play on a smaller screen without modern convenience?
Well you asked about 4k on CRTs first. And like I said, one of the points would be CRT motion clarity. That can be a big one. For PC CRTs there's also the option of very high and custom refresh rates. It's just not as crazy as you seem to think it is to play HD games on CRTs.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

fernan1234 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:We're going round in circles. Why would anyone want to play a modern console on a CRT? 1080p, even 720p, just why? What's the point? To say you can? Why play on a smaller screen without modern convenience?
Well you asked about 4k on CRTs first. And like I said, one of the points would be CRT motion clarity. That can be a big one. For PC CRTs there's also the option of very high and custom refresh rates. It's just not as crazy as you seem to think it is to play HD games on CRTs.
I guess it's not, I seem to be the only one that finds it strange. To each his own.