OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
svensonson

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by svensonson »

OSSC requires a 5V with at least 1A
marqs

Post by marqs »

ceramiclion wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:What PSU are you using with your OSSC?
6.0V 0.85A
It's not recommended to supply any more than 5 volts, there are regulators that can't stand too much overvoltage even though a clamping circuit should prevent the worst.
Blair

Post by Blair »

using the OSSC 1.6, I did a series of five videos comparing de-interlacing methods (with how-to settings in the description of each video) on a relatively difficult (for video processors) title "Virtua Fighter 4" (original version) its a port from the much more graphically impressive Sega Naomi arcade system on the Sony PlayStation 2 (which has much less video RAM to work with). hopefully YouTube doesn't butcher these as I attempted to optimize the encode for streaming video (check the source files links below higher-quality videos). enjoy!

Code: Select all

(if possible be on a wired connection and set YouTube video quality to 1080p60)
Video Links:

Vf4, Micomsoft XRGB-mini Framemeister (with modified FBX profile ps2-sharp) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCt9_87hBo)

vf4, OSSC + VP50pro special de-interlacing "Game Mode 2" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiiXsB2YMMY)

vf4, OSSC + VP50pro special de-interlacing "Game Mode 1" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb49DGOnFhQ)

Virtua Fighter 4 + OSSC 480i Line2x (bob) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMdRZCMBI-k)

Virtua Fighter 4 + OSSC 480i Line2x (bob) + Alternating scanlines at 31% (YouTube doesn't like the alternating scanlines effect, check out the source video which looks much much better) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkoofllKixI)

Here is a zip upload with all five individual videos before youtube's algorithm touched them. the full download is 1.4 GB. (https://uploadfiles.io/4hvo3)
the link should stay active for about four weeks

here are the same videos but re-encoded in WEBM format for further compression but nearly the same quality. the full download is 307 MB (https://uploadfiles.io/crhim)

Last edited by Blair on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What deinterlacing mode is FBX's profile using on the FM ?
Blair

Post by Blair »

Fudoh wrote:What deinterlacing mode is FBX's profile using on the FM ?
Its the "natural" setting I believe. (Motion/Pixel Adaptive?)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I'm not using my OSSC much right now (been playing with my CRT's too much lately). I thought I remembered the OSSC having some use in transcoding/converting some signals to another? Or am I imagining this? Just gave the manual a read but couldn't find anything on it. Is there any use for this thing in a purely non-HDMI setup (my CRT's and consoles are using RGBS, YPbPr, and RGBHV).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:I'm not using my OSSC much right now (been playing with my CRT's too much lately). I thought I remembered the OSSC having some use in transcoding/converting some signals to another? Or am I imagining this? Just gave the manual a read but couldn't find anything on it. Is there any use for this thing in a purely non-HDMI setup (my CRT's and consoles are using RGBS, YPbPr, and RGBHV).
The primary purposes of the OSSC, as I understand it, is to digitize analog signals and linedouble 240p (and perhaps 480i as well) to make these signals compatible on digital displays; personally, I don't really see the point in using an OSSC for CRTs (Except, perhaps, linedoubling 240p/480i for use on PC CRTs).

If you need conversion from RGB/SCART to component, those devices exist; or, if you need to decode composite or S-Video to component, or transcode to a lossier signal, those devices exist as well.
Jfonzy

Post by Jfonzy »

Just got my OSSC in today, and no gray screen appears when I power it on. OSSC is plugged in, powered up, connected via HDMI to my display, but I get nothing. Even if I don't have the latest firmware (but I assume I do, since the one I ordered is from the latest batch), I would think I should still be getting something on screen. I tried my LG TV and my Samsung monitor with no success.

Help!
Last edited by Jfonzy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blair

Post by Blair »

just finished uploading my videos to a file host, with all five individual videos. the full download is 1.4 GB. (https://uploadfiles.io/4hvo3)
the link should stay active for about four weeks. should also give a better impression of visual quality than the YouTube videos if you have trouble streaming YouTube clips (I've found that in different areas YouTube will mess with bit rate on the fly especially with 60FPS content) later (if I can break away from work) i'll try to get three (or more) videos uploaded for comparison.

*edit*
I did a quick re-encode of my master files to .WEBM to further shrink them down (from 350MB each video to around 60MB) and then uploaded to another link so if you want to see my comparison videos but don't want to download the larger version, try this optimized compression version. it should look almost exactly the same quality wise. (although playing these video files might push your CPU a little harder than normal) the full download is 307 MB (https://uploadfiles.io/crhim) (picture below is a screenshot from the webm version)

*edit*
whoops, just saw some posts I didn't see before.
Xer Xian wrote:Ahah sorry that probably sounded somewhat negative, I was referring specifically to line2x480p mode not your videos in general :) It's quite the opposite actually, often I find your videos/pictures to be the best expression of the underlying tech they showcase.
Thank you very much, I'm still working on my video production pipeline, but I think I've got pretty much everything the best it's going to look as long as I keep bit rates and encoding formats in mind. Although it's kind of annoying with driver updates breaking things all the time (like Nvenc not working properly with ReCentral3 since the last update)
Xer Xian wrote:I have tested line multiplied 480i on my Electron IV and got mostly crap results, while it was great on some shots you posted here sometime ago, and it's the same for the videos you posted today - I've had a VP50 (but non pro) for a short while and don't think I could ever get it to look as good with 480p material (regarding the FM vid though - that one looked a bit oversaturated to me).
line multiplied 480i can take a few tries to get right and some games just won't work with it properly. (I've been meaning to work on a list with screenshots and how-to instructions) for the VP50 (non pro) with most 480p sources I keep the sharpness value set to -1 as that seems to be the actual neutral value. (Along with optimizing the rest of the processing options for gaming). Yeah I noticed the oversaturation with the frameMeister. I'm mostly working off of FBX's profiles as he seems to have done a lot of work optimizing the color but I'm having a bear of a time applying his work to my settings consistently.
Xer Xian wrote: Not exactly the same frames (did Ryo change his hairstyle in between the first two shots or what :lol: ), but it's clear that 480p is slightly softer on the DC as well. I've got a few other upscalers that I could test this with, but the only ones that can touch the upscale quality of the CII do not accept 960p unfortunately. Also I'm not entirely sure I prefer the sharper look, but anyway it's barely noticeable, so.. whatever.
I really like the look of the texture detail on your up-sample 960p shot, especially those far away textures. But in your first picture I noticed that the CII is picking up your Dreamcast signal as 640x480. So you haven't manually set your OSSC output to DTV? (as I understand it with Dreamcast on a CII or HD3000 you lose a bit of resolution if the setting isn't ticked manually)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

if you need to decode composite or S-Video to component, or transcode to a lossier signal, those devices exist as well.
Where are these S-video to component devices you speak of?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

@Blair: thanks for posting that video comparison, it confirms the FM as a great solution for interlaced games, to me it looks a bit better than VP50's GM2 while also adding less lag if I remember correctly? Very nice. On the contrary, I find quite difficult to stomach GM1 and the OSSC's bob deinterlacing, I know that they get the processing lag down to 6ms or nil but the result is a bit too rough imho..

Regarding the DC+OSSC, yes I think back then I had left the OSSC 480p sampling to Auto? It probably didn't matter for what I was trying to test. Thanks for your reply though, no matter how belated :)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote: The primary purposes of the OSSC, as I understand it, is to digitize analog signals and linedouble 240p (and perhaps 480i as well) to make these signals compatible on digital displays; personally, I don't really see the point in using an OSSC for CRTs (Except, perhaps, linedoubling 240p/480i for use on PC CRTs).

If you need conversion from RGB/SCART to component, those devices exist; or, if you need to decode composite or S-Video to component, or transcode to a lossier signal, those devices exist as well.
Thanks, maybe it was the XRGB-mini which had some functionality like this (or I'm just remembering wrong ;)
Kez

Post by Kez »

Dochartaigh wrote:I'm not using my OSSC much right now (been playing with my CRT's too much lately). I thought I remembered the OSSC having some use in transcoding/converting some signals to another? Or am I imagining this? Just gave the manual a read but couldn't find anything on it. Is there any use for this thing in a purely non-HDMI setup (my CRT's and consoles are using RGBS, YPbPr, and RGBHV).
There is a section in Fudoh's review discussing its use as a transcoder, but specifically with a digital (HDMI/DVI) output. The point being that it can take in, for example, a 480p analogue signal and output a digital equivalent of that signal.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Considering the prices for solid component to VGA and VGA to component solutions, the OSSC can be used as both once you add a HDMI to YUV or HDMI to VGA DAC to the output. These are usually cheap, so it's not out of the question. And don't forget that you can get scanlines for YUV sources this way. The SLG HD (the YUV version of the SLG3000) was problematic to say at least.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

BuckoA51 wrote:
if you need to decode composite or S-Video to component, or transcode to a lossier signal, those devices exist as well.
I'm currently using a Kramer FC-4044 to convert composite from a PS1 and S-Video from an N64 to component. It simultaneously decodes to RGBS as well, though I don't have any real RGBS support in my system just yet. I managed to pick it up from a surplus company in the US for about $70 USD shipped.

There's also the FC-4043, which simultaneously decodes composite and S-Video to component on one side and encodes component to S-Video and composite on the other side.

Both are kind of hard to come by--you're looking at $125 to $150 on eBay right now--but I only said they exist, not that they're readily available. :P

Frankly, if there was a device available here in this community, I would've snapped it up right away; I'm one switch away from buying a rack. :/
Blair

Post by Blair »

Xer Xian wrote:@Blair: thanks for posting that video comparison, it confirms the FM as a great solution for interlaced games, to me it looks a bit better than VP50's GM2 while also adding less lag if I remember correctly? Very nice. On the contrary, I find quite difficult to stomach GM1 and the OSSC's bob deinterlacing, I know that they get the processing lag down to 6ms or nil but the result is a bit too rough imho..

Regarding the DC+OSSC, yes I think back then I had left the OSSC 480p sampling to Auto? It probably didn't matter for what I was trying to test. Thanks for your reply though, no matter how belated :)
@Xer Xian: you're welcome, I'm glad they might be of use (especially with how rough my last upload went). the VP50 in "game mode 2" has almost the same input lag as the normal baseline frameMeister output for interlaced sources. as I recall its...

Vp50 "Game mode 2" - 22ms (interlaced)

Vp50 "Game mode 1" - 6ms (interlaced)

Vp50 "either mode" - 6ms (progressive)

FrameMeister (adaptive) - 24ms (interlaced)

FrameMeister (Bob) - 24ms (interlaced)

FrameMeister (picture mode) - 24ms (progressive)

OSSC (bob) - 0ms (interlaced)

OSSC (line X/pass) - 0ms (progressive)

On a side note: for some content I actually really like the look of the OSSC's bob mode when combined with the alternating scanlines affect, I'm still trying to figure out how to properly recorded it, but on my screen when I've calibrated for the brightness loss it looks pretty good I think (it looks much less rough and has a closer effect to the sharpness of a standard def CRT). I'm particularly impressed when combining this effect with the OSSC's 480i line 4x mode on the DVDO edge green. (another video I need to make). :lol:
orange808

Post by orange808 »

nmalinoski wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:
I'm currently using a Kramer FC-4044 to convert composite from a PS1 and S-Video from an N64 to component. It simultaneously decodes to RGBS as well, though I don't have any real RGBS support in my system just yet. I managed to pick it up from a surplus company in the US for about $70 USD shipped.

There's also the FC-4043, which simultaneously decodes composite and S-Video to component on one side and encodes component to S-Video and composite on the other side.

Both are kind of hard to come by--you're looking at $125 to $150 on eBay right now--but I only said they exist, not that they're readily available. :P

Frankly, if there was a device available here in this community, I would've snapped it up right away; I'm one switch away from buying a rack. :/
Can you share some short videos of your device in action?

AFAIK, those Kramer decoders don't work well; they handle 240p as 480i. We would like to see both the 240p Test Suite Shadow and Line tests. Both tests employ an anime drawing as a background.

More options would be very welcome around here.

---

rant
Extron made one that I know works (cd 400 model), but I haven't seen it for sale (at a fair price) in some time. There's one eBay, but the asshole trying to sell it thinks it's worth $400. You would think that 18 months of listing it with no response would send a message, but I guess not. Nobody here should encourage that or buy it. Don't make those worth $400. They're not. I have one and I paid about $50usd.
/rant
We apologise for the inconvenience
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

orange808 wrote: ---

rant
Extron made one that I know works (cd 400 model), but I haven't seen it for sale (at a fair price) in some time. There's one eBay, but the asshole trying to sell it thinks it's worth $400. You would think that 18 months of listing it with no response would send a message, but I guess not. Nobody here should encourage that or buy it. Don't make those worth $400. They're not. I have one and I paid about $50usd.
/rant
Of course not. It's "worth" that much, everyone else is just cheap. Lol.

Looks like their entire "store" is mostly overpriced old electronics.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Xyga wrote:All doubts :wink:
OSSC Wiki wrote:Measurement can be made either using internally generated 480p@60Hz timing, or with a real source in any processing mode.
Yeah it probably won't differ much from the LB, off-60Hz and upscaling don't generate any significant latency variations in most cases.
But for what we do if you want to be sure it's the best and most rational test available.
Small followup. I tried removing any switches and splitter between the OSSC and the TV. And bought an Olympus TG-5 camera with a global shutter that I already had my eye on for underwater vacation pics.

The new camera shows that I'm actually somewhere around 2.5 - 3 frames now. And the blanked section of the CRT is entirely horizontal instead of diagonal. So it's confirmed there was some kind of skew from the rolling shutter.

I still can't get back to my theoretical delay of 1.5 frames that I was able to snap a couple of shots of last time. I probably still should do the built in lag test. Although if the results confirm the photographic evidence. I'm not sure what course of action I could possible take at that point.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

You might be looking at a type of handling (edit: your TV's) of off-refreshes/signals I sincerely hope for you is not the case, like the DVDO EDGE generating only 6ms of delay in ideal 60Hz conditions but shooting up to 25ms or so with several hardwares that don't upscan to what it likes. Could also be the scaling of the TV generating more lag when something unexpected shows although that's more rare, but the OSSC seems to trigger many unexpected situations anyway.
'Normal' reviewers like Rtings won't test lag with sources that aren't completely mainsteam and matching the standards so they're right but for us retrogamers their tests don't tell everything.
The Leo Bodnar alone is even more limited.
And camera/timer tests have a long history of ending up inaccurate because of way too many variables in source/output/test hardware and software setups done by many different individuals unsuspecting an issue.
The OSSC will really let you see what's really going on with each of your console sources in every mode to your TV, and it'll cost you a few bucks to make the dongle, while a camera cost you several hundreds (about the price of a good super low lag monitor or a low lag entry level TVs like some of those Vizio and TCL)
It's a bit beyond me why you seem reluctant to opt for the best solution ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Anyway good luck whatever you choose to do!
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

rant
/rant
I know the one you mean, I wanted to test it specifically with OSSC and I offered $325.00, which I consider still a stupid price...

Offer declined.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

orange808 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:I'm currently using a Kramer FC-4044 to convert composite from a PS1 and S-Video from an N64 to component. It simultaneously decodes to RGBS as well, though I don't have any real RGBS support in my system just yet. I managed to pick it up from a surplus company in the US for about $70 USD shipped.

Can you share some short videos of your device in action?

AFAIK, those Kramer decoders don't work well; they handle 240p as 480i. We would like to see both the 240p Test Suite Shadow and Line tests. Both tests employ an anime drawing as a background.

More options would be very welcome around here.
Unfortunately, I don't have any capture hardware handy, and I tried getting video with my phone, but it seems Google gimped the Nexus 5X in software so I can't record anything other than 30fps video, regardless of resolution. :/ (And it's my daily, I can't be bothered to install CyanogenMod or LineageOS.) I'll see if I can try recording in the slow-motion mode and just speed it up in post.

I can assure you that the FC-4044 does not screw with 240p. It's a straight decoder, not any kind of presentation scaler (like the Extron IN1508 I picked up, which has an always-on scaler that isn't 240p-aware).

My test setup is 240p Test Suite on my Dreamcast, connected via composite video directly to the Kramer decoder. The decoder's YPbPr output goes to an Audio Authority 1154A switch, which outputs to a CrossPoint Ultra, which splits YPbPr between my CRT and my OSSC; and then the OSSC outputs to an Onkyo receiver, which outputs to a 32" Samsung LCD circa 2009.

The OSSC correctly identifies the signal as 240p (263p) or 480i (525i) depending on the resolution setting in the Test Suite, and the drop shadow test works perfectly. (It definitely does not work when connected directly to the LCD.)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Kez wrote:There is a section in Fudoh's review discussing its use as a transcoder, but specifically with a digital (HDMI/DVI) output. The point being that it can take in, for example, a 480p analogue signal and output a digital equivalent of that signal.
Thanks for the link, knew I wasn't going crazy ;)

Fudoh wrote:Considering the prices for solid component to VGA and VGA to component solutions, the OSSC can be used as both once you add a HDMI to YUV or HDMI to VGA DAC to the output. These are usually cheap, so it's not out of the question. And don't forget that you can get scanlines for YUV sources this way. The SLG HD (the YUV version of the SLG3000) was problematic to say at least.
I have a whole bunch of converters (Composite to S-Video and vice-versus, YPbPr to RGBS/RGBHV(VGA), RGBHV/VGA to RGBS/RGsB, RGBS to YPbPr)....but this might be put to use somewhere as I have no RGBHV to YPbPr (can only transcode VGA to RGsB which many monitors don't like).

Any suggestions for a good quality HDMI to YPbPr converter --to RGBS would actually be better yet!-- that is cheap like you said? And "YUV" is another name for YPbPr/Component? (I'm not familiar with that color space and googling it just confused me more ;)

nmalinoski wrote:I'm currently using a Kramer FC-4044 to convert composite from a PS1 and S-Video from an N64 to component. It simultaneously decodes to RGBS as well, though I don't have any real RGBS support in my system just yet. I managed to pick it up from a surplus company in the US for about $70 USD shipped.
I'm totally interested in this as well! Which you could test on a standard definition CRT monitor to see if there's proper 240p scanlines (which is my go-to test to see if it's really 240p...although I do have the fancy 240p test suite on a couple different consoles for more extensive tests).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Any suggestions for a good quality HDMI to YPbPr converter --to RGBS would actually be better yet!-- that is cheap like you said? And "YUV" is another name for YPbPr/Component?
yes. Just check what ebay has to offer. HDMI to component should give you some $15-20 options. At least from China, but maybe something local as well.... I don't think you'll find anything affordable to directly give you RGBS. It's just no commonly used these days for anything but 15khz video. HDMI to VGA/RGBHV is common and cheap though and any Extron RGB interface will do the RGBHV to RGBS sync conversion for you.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:
I'm totally interested in this as well! Which you could test on a standard definition CRT monitor to see if there's proper 240p scanlines (which is my go-to test to see if it's really 240p...although I do have the fancy 240p test suite on a couple different consoles for more extensive tests).
The FC-4044 does output proper 240p. I have output from my decoder running simultaneously to a Sony KV-27FV310 and a Samsung LN360somethingorother (via a component switch and a Crosspoint), and the OSSC properly detects 240p (263p) from my Dreamcast over composite, and the drop-shadow test looks correct on both TVs.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Thanks Fudoh. I'll just grab the top rated one from Amazon I guess.

nmalinoski wrote: The FC-4044 does output proper 240p. I have output from my decoder running simultaneously to a Sony KV-27FV310 and a Samsung LN360somethingorother (via a component switch and a Crosspoint), and the OSSC properly detects 240p (263p) from my Dreamcast over composite, and the drop-shadow test looks correct on both TVs.
I just ordered a Kramer FC-4044 on your positive endorsement....but perhaps I should have waited... I see in another post on this forum you said that you're getting noise with the FC-4044 (and by the screenshots it looks pretty awful if I'm to be honest). Did you ever figure that out (keeping my fingers crossed ;) or did I just waste $100?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:I just ordered a Kramer FC-4044 on your positive endorsement....but perhaps I should have waited... I see in another post on this forum you said that you're getting noise with the FC-4044 (and by the screenshots it looks pretty awful if I'm to be honest). Did you ever figure that out (keeping my fingers crossed ;) or did I just waste $100?
I should've followed up about that. I seemed to only get noise when the decoder is going directly into my TV, and I'm still not sure if it's because I have a defective unit or bad caps or whatever.

When run through my OSSC, I don't see any noise at all, which may be due to a low-pass filter; and I don't notice any noise on my CRT (Probably because CRT). The decoder is now also running through a component switch (which I doubt is doing any filtering) and a Crosspoint Ultra (which might be filtering; anyone want to chime in?).

Point is, if you've got a device in your AV chain that has an LPF, like the OSSC, I don't think you'll notice any noise.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:I should've followed up about that. I seemed to only get noise when the decoder is going directly into my TV, and I'm still not sure if it's because I have a defective unit or bad caps or whatever.
I'll cross my fingers and hope my unit is OK. If not return shipping + possible 20% "restocking fee" is the worst case scenario.

My chain will be Console's Composite or S-Video signal into an Extron Crosspoint > to the Kramer (whose RGBS or YPbPr output will loop back into the Crosspoint) > to BVM, PVM, or consumer TV. Nothing should have a filter on it unless you count the Extron's ADSP which I don't think does much of anything.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I have an fc-4044 somewhere. I'll have to break it out later this week and test it. Never bothered because of bad experiences with other Kramer decoders.

Should be interesting. I have seen a few devices output a drop shadow, but struggle with the line test or have combing artifacts in the scrolling test.

We'll see what happens.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Zappyraccoon

Post by Zappyraccoon »

Fudoh wrote:Considering the prices for solid component to VGA and VGA to component solutions, the OSSC can be used as both once you add a HDMI to YUV or HDMI to VGA DAC to the output. These are usually cheap, so it's not out of the question. And don't forget that you can get scanlines for YUV sources this way. The SLG HD (the YUV version of the SLG3000) was problematic to say at least.
Can also confirm, SLG HD= YUV is not worth your time. Caused horizontal serration in video while scanlines were enabled and was poorly soldered/built. I pump component through the Garo -> VGA at the moment and it helps with some image stability on certain consoles for some reason (PS2 & XBOX).