OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
cyborc

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by cyborc »

I think you're right, this adapter is probably meant for using DP sources on an HDMI monitor/tv. I bet it won't work the other way around. Oh well. Line x3 still looks pretty good and this was more of an experiment as I'll mainly be using the OSSC with a TCL 4k tv when it arrives.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I'm no expert in HDMI>DP and DP>HDMI converters but from the little I've learned the former are all active, and to avoid, while the latter supposedly exist in real passive but only one-way and therfore can't be used for instance with an HDMI-enabled FreeSync monitor. Never found a real passive, nor a bidirectional, maybe they don't exist/can't work period but since people once said "this might work with a passive/bidirectional" people began to search the internet and a myth was born generating years of total confusion on e-tailers websites.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
foxmolduga

Post by foxmolduga »

I got an iiyama XUB2792 and its been working great with my PSone at Line3x
Last edited by foxmolduga on Tue May 01, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

guut wrote:I did it! I have bought a LG OLED C7 and replaced my good old Sony W905. All modes of the OSSC are running fine now :) However I´m not 100% satisfied with the picture, and playing around with the settings.
Could someone here with a LG OLED B7/C7 share his picture settings for OSSC + Retro consoles and if possible settings made on the OSSC itself?
When I had one of these I found x4 gave me the best picture and perfect scanlines
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Xyga wrote:PSA: Xaranar got a ViewSonic VX3276-mhd-2 (2018), and it seems it's the same as the VX3211-mh (2017) (OSSC's best 32" IPS monitor friend)
save for the different frame and the addition of a DP port.
Following this I've checked the availability in North America and unfortunately once again it's a no...
But for everyone else (Europe and maybe AP too I guess) these two models are must haves (except for those who use the OSSC primarily for 480i, just pass you peasants!)

BTW: they should definitely be on your lists Harrumph, I'm amazed there's no mention anywhere else but this thread here on shmups.
It's the best known monitor for the OSSC, full compatibility (AFAIK but has anyone faulted it yet? Thomago? Xaranar?), practically unique always unlockable overscan, x5 1:1 support, large, good quality and performance in every essential technical area of flat panel displays, tate-able with a 3rd party stand/arm, and affordable.

Maybe the majority of people these days are only interested in playing on 55"~85" TVs, but heh... honestly for tate there's nothing like a lightweight monitor.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Firmware 0.81 is now available:

* multiplication-based scanline method added
* hybrid scanline option added
* 640x400 preset mode added
* option for linking input to profile added
* LCD backlight timeout option added
* H.mask range increased
* Infoscreen display updated
* fixed applying of some power-on default values
* fixed optimized mode mask and position inaccuracies
* pre-ADC video gain setting added

That's a number of updates, and we're now at the point where pretty much all the remaining code space (on -aud version) has been utilized with all the low-hanging fruits of size optimization as well used. It'll be quiet for a while on the firmware front as some larger-scale solutions need to be experimented with to solve the issue.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Great update :) Thanks a lot for your effort!!!
James-F

Post by James-F »

Thank you very much marqs, borti, paul, and everyone who had hand in this, this is a big update.
I wish you great ease and success working on the next OS implementation.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Major update! +1 big thanks to all contributors. 8)
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

Awesome, thanks!
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Xyga wrote:It's the best known monitor for the OSSC, full compatibility (AFAIK but has anyone faulted it yet? Thomago? Xaranar?)
As mentioned earlier in this thread the VX3211-mh has problems with Line5x signals from my SNES (likely due to signal jitter or whatever there was with the SNES). Everything else, including Line5x signals from other consoles, works perfectly.

And thanks for the update! I can't wait to try it :D
FBX

Post by FBX »

I posted a video on GBI optimal timing in the OSSC:

https://youtu.be/bUMkIqeg8fI
MysticSynergy

Post by MysticSynergy »

Awesome! Thank you so much Marqs for all your efforts and energy into both the OSSC and Firmware updates. :)

I can't wait to try out the new Hybrid scanlines and multiplication methods. Will there be documentation on the wiki regarding this?

Cheers!!
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Thanks for the update, marqs, and that vid, FBX.
xga

Post by xga »

Thanks marqs and everyone else for another great update.

marqs, I take it that the next step from here is to replace Nios2 so that more features can be implented?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I played around with the adv7182 eval board yesterday. 240p doesn't seem to play nice :( It does say right in the datasheet that it outputs a stream that is compatible with ITU-R BT.656 It accepts the input but treats the output as 480i. The adv7391 encoder on the eval board does say it works with 240p. So I'm still on the lookout for a decoder that works with 240p. Anybody know what the RetroTink is using?

On the bright side, 480i looks pretty nice.
Last edited by citrus3000psi on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

Xyga wrote:
Xyga wrote:PSA: Xaranar got a ViewSonic VX3276-mhd-2 (2018), and it seems it's the same as the VX3211-mh (2017) (OSSC's best 32" IPS monitor friend)
save for the different frame and the addition of a DP port.
BTW: they should definitely be on your lists Harrumph, I'm amazed there's no mention anywhere else but this thread here on shmups.
Sure, in my next thread update I'll add some pc monitors as well
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

:wink:
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

FBX wrote:I posted a video on GBI optimal timing in the OSSC:

FBX, I've noticed a few places (I think) where you recommend setting the Video LPF at a fairly high setting compared to the recommended settings. What sort of setup do you have where this isn't adding a ton of noise? On my SNES, for example, I get horrible jailbars if I set it at anything other than auto/9 MHz (at which point the bars completely disappear). Granted I think I just have the "lower quality" cable from Retro Access (not the super shielded one) hooked up for that cable, but do you find that makes that much of a difference?

Edit: I should note that I am using a 1-chip with Voultar's RGB mod in it.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Just wanted to share my thoughts leading to a little experiment and the results of it:

The 240p Line4x mode defaults to 1280x960 pixels; via the Advanced timing settings this can be increased to 1440x960 - perfect for displaying 4:3 content on 1080p TVs/monitors!
So... PS1/PS2 console games usually have 640 pixels of horizontal resolution embedded into a 720 pixel frame; double that and you get 1280 pixel embedded into a 1440 pixel frame.
SNES games typically have a horizontal resolution of 256 pixels. 256 pixels times 5 is 1280 pixels.
This means that given the right settings, the modified 1440x960 resoution should allow pixel perfect reproduction of SNES games while maintaining their aspect ratio (assumption: the black overscan area surrounding the SNES' picture takes up the same percentage of the frame as it does with PS1/PS2 games).

OSSC settings:

H. active = 1440
H. samplerate = 1705
Video LPF = 95Mhz (I couldn't seem to find the right Sampling phase, therefore left that setting at default and resorted to this)

The Results:

Image Image

Considering I don't have access to the 240p test suite, this is pretty nice I guess!

EDIT:

This abomination makes for a pretty nice test pattern:

eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

Any Samsung KS7000/8000 users here try the latest Samsung firmware with the OSSC??? (1220.7 [2018.04.11] at the time of writing this).

I’ve heard reports where it can actually affect OSSC compatibility. My KS7000 currently works great with all line modes, I’m afraid to upgrade in case it breaks something! I believe Voultar updated his Vizio and it completely screwed up the TV and it wouldn't work properly with the OSSC/240p stuff anymore. :shock:
FBX

Post by FBX »

thebigcheese wrote:
FBX wrote:I posted a video on GBI optimal timing in the OSSC:

FBX, I've noticed a few places (I think) where you recommend setting the Video LPF at a fairly high setting compared to the recommended settings. What sort of setup do you have where this isn't adding a ton of noise? On my SNES, for example, I get horrible jailbars if I set it at anything other than auto/9 MHz (at which point the bars completely disappear). Granted I think I just have the "lower quality" cable from Retro Access (not the super shielded one) hooked up for that cable, but do you find that makes that much of a difference?

Edit: I should note that I am using a 1-chip with Voultar's RGB mod in it.

No no no no. 9Mhz (auto) is almost ALWAYS the correct choice for 240p content. It was only in the specific case of the official component cables and the gbihf.gcvideox driver that I found a different combination of LPF settings that allowed for edge-edge clarity.

And yes, Voultar's mod for the 1CHIP needs strictly 9MHz video LPF if you have it in default filter jumper settings.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Ah, I am not crazy then. Thanks!
MysticSynergy

Post by MysticSynergy »

marqs wrote:Firmware 0.81 is now available:

That's a number of updates, and we're now at the point where pretty much all the remaining code space (on -aud version) has been utilized with all the low-hanging fruits of size optimization as well used. It'll be quiet for a while on the firmware front as some larger-scale solutions need to be experimented with to solve the issue.
Any chance the larger-scale solutions would refer to possible scanline thickness settings? Would love to see this feature implemented in the future (if there is room) I know this was just updated - but figured I'd ask :)

Love the OSSC!! Keep up the good work marqs
ASDR

Post by ASDR »

MysticSynergy wrote: Any chance the larger-scale solutions would refer to possible scanline thickness settings?
Hah, no, the larger scale was not regarding scanline thickness! ;-) The OSSC has a CPU that is implemented on its FPGA chip. That CPU stores its code inside the FPGA's RAM. That RAM is exhausted. No more features can be added to things the CPU does, like the menu system. To fix this without designing a new OSSC with more RAM etc., some possible solutions are being explored. This could mean switching to a different CPU core that has more space efficient program code or maybe an architecture where program code is only cached in RAM and can mostly remain in the larger flash memory. But that's quite a bit of work, so new features won't be possible for a while.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

Are many people running their OSSC through an AV Receiver? I currently use the v1.5 straight into a TV but I'm considering upgrading to the v1.6 HDMI version and using my Denon amp to consolidate connections and simplify my setup.
pyrotek85

Post by pyrotek85 »

eric90000 wrote:Are many people running their OSSC through an AV Receiver? I currently use the v1.5 straight into a TV but I'm considering upgrading to the v1.6 HDMI version and using my Denon amp to consolidate connections and simplify my setup.
I do, a Yamaha. No problems with it that I've noticed.
jayde6

Post by jayde6 »

eric90000 wrote:Are many people running their OSSC through an AV Receiver? I currently use the v1.5 straight into a TV but I'm considering upgrading to the v1.6 HDMI version and using my Denon amp to consolidate connections and simplify my setup.
I have a 1.6 OSSC and Denon AVR-X2100W and I get much better compatibility going straight to my tv. If I run it through the receiver first I get huge resolution switching delays even after making sure the receiver is set to not mess with the video.

On top of that my tv loses signal with 480i passthorugh and 480p / 480px2. I don't know if the receiver doesn't like the input signals or my tv doesn't like how the receiver is outputting it but I'd have to lower the samplerate by 10 or raise it by 6 to get the signal to come through.

Since hooking the ossc up directly to my tv I have had none of those issues.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

jayde6 wrote:
I have a 1.6 OSSC and Denon AVR-X2100W and I get much better compatibility going straight to my tv. If I run it through the receiver first I get huge resolution switching delays even after making sure the receiver is set to not mess with the video.

On top of that my tv loses signal with 480i passthorugh and 480p / 480px2. I don't know if the receiver doesn't like the input signals or my tv doesn't like how the receiver is outputting it but I'd have to lower the samplerate by 10 or raise it by 6 to get the signal to come through.

Since hooking the ossc up directly to my tv I have had none of those issues.

I just tried connecting my OSSC 1.5 to my Denon AVR-520BT and I'm getting similar issues to your v1.6. Sync dropping out on certain consoles and weird picture issues, none of which are present when connected directly to my TV. Looks like I won't be upgrading! Thanks for the feedback.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Just wanted to share my thoughts leading to a little experiment and the results of it:

The 240p Line4x mode defaults to 1280x960 pixels; via the Advanced timing settings this can be increased to 1440x960 - perfect for displaying 4:3 content on 1080p TVs/monitors!
That looks pretty good, I wonder if that works on the VP50 too.. I will have to try.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page