OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hoagtech

Re: OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

Post by Hoagtech »

Harrumph wrote:Have you checked the direction of sync? If it’s on pin 19 the cable is made for scart-> bnc, in that case move it to pin 20 so it becomes output instead.
Sure enough its on Pin 19..

You da man!

Bonus question.. I noticed they had composite sync tied to common ground. Should I move it to Pin 18 (composite input ground) ?

Or does it matter?

Also do you I need to tie Jamma video ground to all the ground or just one ground on one of the channels?

Copyright 1987
IrishNinja

Post by IrishNinja »

pardon the bump, does anyone happen to know if this LG C1 set is OSSC compatible? cheers

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-48-clas ... Id=6453311
...go play Mars Matrix
Backloggery
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

At the very least 720p/3x Line should be. 4x and 5x@1080p tend to be more picky on certain displays.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

My LG B9 takes almost anything I can throw at it, their OLEDs have great OSSC compatibility. I only have trouble with some 5x optimized modes needing to be bumped down to 4x.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
marqs

Post by marqs »

A new and most likely final HW revision - v1.7 - is available within 1-2 weeks. There are no groundbreaking changes but rather a number of small improvements as listed below:

* Reduced power consumption and heat generation
* Easier accessible switch for AV1 out / AV2 in audio toggle
* Improved protection on power and signal ports
* Preprogrammed remote control includes additional profiles for OSSC Pro and Framemeister
* New full enclosure (see below)

Updated design files for DIY builders are available here.

There will also be an updated firmware soon that contains SD card export feature and a collection of minor fixes put into repository after last official release.
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

Marqs thank you for a great product, and thank you all the more for the astounding product support!
marqs

Post by marqs »

Firmware v0.89 is now available here and wiki has been updated.

* Added profile export feature
* Minor bug fixes
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

marqs wrote:Firmware v0.89 is now available here and wiki has been updated.

* Added profile export feature
* Minor bug fixes
very nice, if this one doesn't have any bugs appear will it probably be the final release?
Agent BSoD

Post by Agent BSoD »

I can confirm that my issue with previous 0.87/0.88 firmware (PC-98 sampling being wrong) is now fixed. I've been waiting to use this new menu scheme for a while but couldn't because of my particular niche use case. Thanks again Marqs!
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Always appreciated; my OSSC is still hooked up as it is still my go-to for arcade PCBs, and I think the PSP still looks best through it too with 480p x2... even if it has to go through a DVDO Edge before hitting my display.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

If you want to export your profiles from an older firmware version than version 0.89 then that is possible.

Select "Export sett." after updating to firmware 0.89 and it will write your profiles to the sdcard. In the profile manager, select the firmware version of the profiles you want to import and you can then drag and drop the file into the profiles manager. It will show a list of the profile versions contained in the file and if they were skipped or not. After that you need to use the Import json button to import the settings.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Thank you Paulb. That's great info :)
zarkFR

Post by zarkFR »

Very happy to have a new firmware for the original OSSC, thanks a lot marqs ! (Can't wait for the OSSC Pro btw :P)

For people reading this topic and not VGP, export settings seems to have problems with windows, here is marqs message on VGP forums :

"Partition table / partition generated by export does not seem to be recognized by Windows, we’ll try to figure out why. Formatting the card before export is futile since export itself does it."
dannahan

Post by dannahan »

I’m having issues with the OSSC syncing video with Konami Bucky O Hare PCB. TMNT, TMNT TIT, MYSTIC WARRIORS, METAMORFORCE, and SIMPSONS works perfectly. However, only sound comes through to the LCD monitor. I’m using a HAS 4.0 Supergun and I’ve tried all combinations for the sync settings and lpf on the dips.

Here’s a video of the issue:
https://youtu.be/09kl-7bzgmI

Here’s a video of it working on my Sega Blast City:
https://youtube.com/shorts/LF0d2N0he8E

Thanks in advance
marqs

Post by marqs »

zarkFR wrote:VFor people reading this topic and not VGP, export settings seems to have problems with windows, here is marqs message on VGP forums :

"Partition table / partition generated by export does not seem to be recognized by Windows, we’ll try to figure out why. Formatting the card before export is futile since export itself does it."
This got fixed a while ago and new fw will be released soon.
dannahan wrote:I’m having issues with the OSSC syncing video with Konami Bucky O Hare PCB. TMNT, TMNT TIT, MYSTIC WARRIORS, METAMORFORCE, and SIMPSONS works perfectly. However, only sound comes through to the LCD monitor. I’m using a HAS 4.0 Supergun and I’ve tried all combinations for the sync settings and lpf on the dips.
Hard to say what's wrong - usually the red LED is at least lit when it tries to sync. Perhaps someone could check sync waveform on scope to get a better idea what's going on.
marqs

Post by marqs »

zarkFR wrote:For people reading this topic and not VGP, export settings seems to have problems with windows, here is marqs message on VGP forums :

This has been now resolved in the latest firmware (0.90) along with a few other import/export related fixes.
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

Thanks!
zarkFR

Post by zarkFR »

marqs wrote:This has been now resolved in the latest firmware (0.90) along with a few other import/export related fixes.
Yes, now it works, thank you very much !

Also, my microsd previously formatted with OSSC version 0.89 became impossible to use on windows, so I had to use another microsd to update OSSC to 0.90, then use the OSSC to format the first corrupted card and tadaaaa, now it works again. Thanks !
FBX

Post by FBX »

Technical question to marqs:

Assuming default settings in the Video Processing menu, is NTSC RGB conversion set to 0 IRE and 100 IRE being equal to 0 black and 255 white on digital conversion (100 IRE being 714.3mV)? Or is it based on 7.5 IRE to 100 IRE?

Basically, I want to know if I were using the OSSC on default settings, what I would base console amplitude on for pure white to equal 255 on the OSSC.

Thanks!
marqs

Post by marqs »

FBX wrote:Technical question to marqs:

Assuming default settings in the Video Processing menu, is NTSC RGB conversion set to 0 IRE and 100 IRE being equal to 0 black and 255 white on digital conversion (100 IRE being 714.3mV)? Or is it based on 7.5 IRE to 100 IRE?

Basically, I want to know if I were using the OSSC on default settings, what I would base console amplitude on for pure white to equal 255 on the OSSC.

Thanks!
Blanking (backporch) level is used as reference black, i.e. 7.5 IRE setup is not used. ADC full-scale input range is 1Vpp and overall gain with default settings is 1.432 which is suitable for ~700mVpp video signal. I don't recall many RGB sources actually using 7.5 IRE setup, OG Xbox in NTSC mode is the one that first comes to mind.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Does the Xbox change its black level for composite vs. component? Here's an old online source suggesting Xbox sets IRE differently for DVD playback versus gaming, but that their game output looks like 0 IRE in 1080i which I suppose should be component https://www.avsforum.com/threads/xbox-b ... re.267733/

Anyhow, if Xbox is 0 IRE it shouldn't be a problem, right?
marqs

Post by marqs »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Does the Xbox change its black level for composite vs. component? Here's an old online source suggesting Xbox sets IRE differently for DVD playback versus gaming, but that their game output looks like 0 IRE in 1080i which I suppose should be component https://www.avsforum.com/threads/xbox-b ... re.267733/

Anyhow, if Xbox is 0 IRE it shouldn't be a problem, right?
The issue of elevated black levels occured with RGB cables, and only after video region in EEPROM was patched from PAL to NTSC. I don't remember seeing similar issues with component, but all this was 15+ years ago. Perhaps someone with Xbox (preferably PAL) and RGB cables could check it now that we have much better displays and video processors.
FBX

Post by FBX »

marqs wrote:
FBX wrote:Technical question to marqs:

Thanks!
Blanking (backporch) level is used as reference black, i.e. 7.5 IRE setup is not used. ADC full-scale input range is 1Vpp and overall gain with default settings is 1.432 which is suitable for ~700mVpp video signal. I don't recall many RGB sources actually using 7.5 IRE setup, OG Xbox in NTSC mode is the one that first comes to mind.

Cool thanks for the info. I might at some point actually dial in and scope RGB to see how exact 255 is at default settings for amplitude (by measuring when it just tickles 255 on ADC and seeing what the amplitude in the analogue side using an oscilloscope).
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

Sorry to bump this just for a request, but how about another PSP setting? The current one works great (in fact, it's one of two major reasons why I still have my OSSC hooked up when I've since gotten a RetroTINK 5X-Pro), but a lot of the PSP arcade compilations offer some kind of pixel perfect mode, which I guess is the inner 240 pixels inside of the PSP's 480x272 resolution. Games like this include:

Capcom Classics Collection Remixed
Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
Gradius Collection
Salamander Portable
Parodius Portable
Neo Geo Heroes Ultimate Shooting

While I can zoom in with the DVDO Edge that I have to use for my display anyway when using the OSSC, it's a lot of work to keep zooming in and out.

Or maybe it's just a matter of tweaking the current PSP sampling option? I have no clue about that...
Blair

Post by Blair »

marqs wrote:This has been now resolved in the latest firmware (0.90) along with a few other import/export related fixes.
Thanks marqs!

Testing FW 0.90 on OSSC 1.5.
Trying out directed feed to XR1lite capture device. it can take just about anything the OSSC outputs. (480i 3x needs some adjustments) semi downside the XR1lite upscales/downscales everything to 1080p60 NV12/YU2 and its scaling engine is very basic so the OSSC's 240p passthrough mode looks very blurry with lots of ringing if the XR1lite handles it alone, 480p and 480i passthrough also have some ringing/blur. 480p 2x along with all the other line modes look fine.

Video Chain:
Sega Saturn v2 RGB out + RGB2COMP + YPbPr distribution amplifier + KV-13FS100 CRT / OSSC 1.5 + EVGA XR1 lite - OBS
OSSC Settings: line5x, Generic 4:3, scanline custom 36%
(Also did some Line4x with optimized Saturn 352×224 timing, but I forgot to record that)
Game: X-Men vs. Street Fighter

[Click Spoilers for full sized images]

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Any more features to be added? 540p support/240p down scaling/Hdr modes/HDMI VRR?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

I was just thinking about downscaling with the original OSSC the other day. Getting a "line 0.5x mode" or even 720p -> 240p would be so cool, seeing as the hardware is so widely available and a good, cheap downscaler for resolutions beyond 480p is still nowhere to be found.
marqs

Post by marqs »

Bahn Yuki wrote:Any more features to be added? 540p support/240p down scaling/Hdr modes/HDMI VRR?
These are more in the domain of OSSC Pro / DExx-vd_isl where 540p output and downscaling can be easily supported.
SuperSpongo wrote:I was just thinking about downscaling with the original OSSC the other day. Getting a "line 0.5x mode" or even 720p -> 240p would be so cool, seeing as the hardware is so widely available and a good, cheap downscaler for resolutions beyond 480p is still nowhere to be found.
720p -> 240p downscaling needs some memory and clock retiming support, thus it's not doable on very limited HW like OSSC.
SuperSpongo

Post by SuperSpongo »

Thanks for replying marqs!
Bummer it can't be done but at least now we know :)
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

I bought a passive dvi splitter cable to use with an early dvi model OSSC, hoping to get the same picture on my monitor and capture device.
However it has not worked, using the dvi splitter cable I don't get a picture on either the monitor or the capture device. Without the splitter cable both work with the OSSC (separately of course).
Where have I gone wrong here and what should I be using instead?