OSSC (DIY video digitizer & scandoubler)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
citrus3000psi

Re: DIY video digitizer & scandoubler

Post by citrus3000psi »

CobraKing wrote:^^
It's been asked before but the DVDO devices work quite well and appear to handle the 4X/5X modes. The prices on the aforementioned DVDO devices are trending upward though.
I don't think the VP50 & VP50pro are handling 4x mode, only 5x. I think. I havn't heard anybody mention the duo or edge
wildchild22

Post by wildchild22 »

The duo accepts 4x and 5x. However 5x requires the adjustment I made last page.

citrus3000psi wrote:
It's been asked before but the DVDO devices work quite well and appear to handle the 4X/5X modes. The prices on the aforementioned DVDO devices are trending upward though.
I don't think the VP50 & VP50pro are handling 4x mode, only 5x. I think. I havn't heard anybody mention the duo or edge
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

Harrumph wrote: Since it lists 1280x1024, I'd probably try the same as before but in Lx4, as 256x4=1024. This worked on my Philips TV, and if I choose no scaling on the TV, it displays it pixel perfect utilizing only 1024 of the full 1080 height, with the video data in 960 lines (or 896 for 224 line material).

Btw, I'll once again remind everyone to contribute to the vgp thread in my sig. :)
This worked also, except I had to set the TV to 4:3. I'm heading into work (only 1 hour late :D), so will have to fine tune the settings and update my entry on the VGP compatability page tonight.

There is a slight issue with some vertical bars running the entire height of the screen. I don't believe it's jailbars, but it's definitely coming from the console, as swapping the Genny VA3 out and a VA6 in reduced the bars so they are no longer apparent from normal viewing distance. I'm using a CSYNC SCART cable from RCA so guessing it could be this, or perhaps I need to install an RGB amp or bypass of some sort. Changing the Sync LPF didn't lessen the bars, it just changed their position on the x axis.
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

Ok so I tried the SFC at first it didn't work in X5

So I tried to manage every sample setting, nothing on screen, or a flash and the picture gone out imediatly...and the I realise that my Syncstrike was off (mean that it's the scart who power it), plug it on and tada a crystal clear screen !!!

So it works for me for these systems for now :
neogeo / megadrive / super famicom 1chip (syncstrike)
orange808

Post by orange808 »

citrus3000psi wrote:
My vp50pro does not handle 4x for me.

5x works fine on the vp50pro. Very nice. :)

(Haven't gotten around to trying the vp50 yet.)

As a sidenote, I can confirm that my Vizio D Series 2016 will not handle 4x or 5x directly. I see others are saying the same thing. (Line triple still worls, though.)
We apologise for the inconvenience
arovane

Post by arovane »

Wait, does it mean that adding a video processor (type dvdo vp50) in the chain would make line triple, 4x and 5x work, even on monitors that doesn't initially accept it? My Panasonic plasma screen has amazing image quality for gaming but only line double works, and impossible to make Neo Geo and Nes/SuperNes consoles working at all...
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

arovane : tu as essayé avec un syncstrike dans la chaine ?
arovane

Post by arovane »

fafangus wrote:arovane : tu as essayé avec un syncstrike dans la chaine ?
Oui j'ai un syncstrike dans la chaine, sinon soucis de sync avec la megadrive et la saturn. Sans le synstrike j'ai pas du tout d'image avec le Snes. Avec j'ai une image mais elle saute.
bonzo.bits

Post by bonzo.bits »

arovane wrote:Wait, does it mean that adding a video processor (type dvdo vp50) in the chain would make line triple, 4x and 5x work, even on monitors that doesn't initially accept it? My Panasonic plasma screen has amazing image quality for gaming but only line double works, and impossible to make Neo Geo and Nes/SuperNes consoles working at all...
Have you tried using the advanced timing tweaker? My Panny Plasma doesn't show any signal in Lx3 and Lx4 modes until selecting the 'optim' mode for the desired line multiplier and then adjusting the settings per Harrumph's advice earlier in the thread. IE -
Harrumph wrote: Regarding 1024x768, try to increase V.active to 256 in lx3 mode (256x3=768), then decrease V.backporch until you get a picture.
Before this I was certain that I was stuck with linedouble only, stuck isn't the right connotation as I do enjoy linedouble, but after some lucky discoveries and then Harrumph's advice, it turned out that I can get linetriple and linequadruple with just a little bit of tweaking. Which, after watching the Get Schwifty episode of Rick & Morty for the first time, is the highlight of my week so far :D

Back on topic, I feel like there is a huge gap in the OSSC wiki regarding use of the advanced timing tweaker. It just says something like 'you need advance knowledge of the input signal and the display capabilities', when some simple advice like that given by Harrumph would go a long way toward giving users a greater chance of getting the most out of the OSSC. I'd happily contribute, but my knowledge is at the kindergarten level currently.
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

Show me what you got!
arovane

Post by arovane »

bonzo.bits wrote:
arovane wrote:Wait, does it mean that adding a video processor (type dvdo vp50) in the chain would make line triple, 4x and 5x work, even on monitors that doesn't initially accept it? My Panasonic plasma screen has amazing image quality for gaming but only line double works, and impossible to make Neo Geo and Nes/SuperNes consoles working at all...
Have you tried using the advanced timing tweaker? My Panny Plasma doesn't show any signal in Lx3 and Lx4 modes until selecting the 'optim' mode for the desired line multiplier and then adjusting the settings per Harrumph's advice earlier in the thread. IE -
Harrumph wrote: Regarding 1024x768, try to increase V.active to 256 in lx3 mode (256x3=768), then decrease V.backporch until you get a picture.
Before this I was certain that I was stuck with linedouble only, stuck isn't the right connotation as I do enjoy linedouble, but after some lucky discoveries and then Harrumph's advice, it turned out that I can get linetriple and linequadruple with just a little bit of tweaking. Which, after watching the Get Schwifty episode of Rick & Morty for the first time, is the highlight of my week so far :D

Back on topic, I feel like there is a huge gap in the OSSC wiki regarding use of the advanced timing tweaker. It just says something like 'you need advance knowledge of the input signal and the display capabilities', when some simple advice like that given by Harrumph would go a long way toward giving users a greater chance of getting the most out of the OSSC. I'd happily contribute, but my knowledge is at the kindergarten level currently.
Nope, didn't work for me... Even though it should theorically work. But I second you, an advanced but comprehensive wiki on the matter would be great!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Suggest moving this discussion of 4x and 5x to the official forums, it's getting impossible to keep track of here.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Why would you want to monopolize the OSSC discussion to your forums?
Don't take it wrong please, I don't have anything against your business but I haven't bought from you either, and I don't find it convenient to have to register multiple communities accounts and dance between multiple forums threads when we have the greatest all-round hardware section here.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

BuckoA51 wrote:Suggest moving this discussion of 4x and 5x to the official forums, it's getting impossible to keep track of here.
I don't think this topic is much for anyone who wants to keep track of anything, just causal conversation.

I was testing PS2 960i yesterday. I tried this trick much earlier, but I found it mostly ineffective for most titles and gave up since I had no convenient way to use it anyway (I could only get it to display with the wrong color range). Since I had a more convenient way of using it now I decided to test some titles and well.. I wouldn't expect any miracles. I tried:

Aqua Aqua: Wetrix 2.0
The Bouncer
Drakengard
Drakengard 2
Fantasy Zone
Gradius III & IV
Shadow Hearts
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Wild Arms 3

All ended up dropping half resolution. Only two titles I had any success with:

Contra: Shattered Soldier
Unlimited Saga

But both previously worked in 480p if you skipped FMVs. Well I guess it's nice not to have to do that, especially since you have to boot a separate GSM file to do that as the FMV skip included in OPL isn't working right.

On things that are hard to keep track of: marqs can you please answer if it's possible to make the mask brightness even higher :(
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

orange808 wrote: As a sidenote, I can confirm that my Vizio D Series 2016 will not handle 4x or 5x directly. I see others are saying the same thing. (Line triple still worls, though.)
A user, got the 4x and 5x to work on the HDMI port 1 for the D series. Which is around 40ms. I have a D series but haven't tested it myself yet.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

orange808 wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote:
My vp50pro does not handle 4x for me.

5x works fine on the vp50pro. Very nice. :)

(Haven't gotten around to trying the vp50 yet.)

As a sidenote, I can confirm that my Vizio D Series 2016 will not handle 4x or 5x directly. I see others are saying the same thing. (Line triple still worls, though.)
Try a different hdmi port. I had the same issue on hdmi 5. I have a video of my results. The internal Vizio scaler is actually quite good, just know the input delay will go up. Check post 3294 in this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

BuckoA51 wrote:Suggest moving this discussion of 4x and 5x to the official forums, it's getting impossible to keep track of here.
I'll do a little write-up tonight or tomorrow.
Xyga wrote:Why would you want to monopolize the OSSC discussion to your forums?
It's not about the discussion, seems to be thriving well enough round here. But for reference info, I do agree vgp and wiki are better places.
arovane

Post by arovane »

Harrumph wrote:It's not about the discussion, seems to be thriving well enough round here. But for reference info, I do agree vgp and wiki are better places.
Except that I asked for some help/advice on VGP yesterday regarding the ossc and I'm still waiting for an answer. Here I've got several usefull and relevant answers in minutes.

Regarding the wiki, it should be updated with more technical and tweeking infos, cause it is a bit obsolete as it is. One example, very little is explained for Mac users that want to update the firmware. And nothing about tweeking the system to get a signal to work (I'm having trouble with Neo Geo and Nes/Snes, I'm sure ther's a way to make it work)
fafangus

Post by fafangus »

arovane wrote:
Oui j'ai un syncstrike dans la chaine, sinon soucis de sync avec la megadrive et la saturn. Sans le synstrike j'ai pas du tout d'image avec le Snes. Avec j'ai une image mais elle saute.
Ah ok -let's do it in English lol - I've got a problem with the SFC too, when I hook it directly into AV1 the picture come and go,

Hooking the sync strike helps with the AV3 input (RGBHV) I've got a clear/stable picture - this works with line X5

Others inputs in RGBS or RGsB (AV3/AV2/AV1) don't work too, and using a UMSA to going RGBHV > RGBS > AV1 don't work
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

arovane wrote: Except that I asked for some help/advice on VGP yesterday regarding the ossc and I'm still waiting for an answer. Here I've got several usefull and relevant answers in minutes.

Regarding the wiki, it should be updated
Maybe I was a bit unclear. I meant the discussion and Q&A is very active here, and that's a good thing. :) People can choose where they want to discuss. I just interpreted Bucko's post in the sense that collating info should happen sooner or later on vgp, as this here is a mega-thread and info quickly gets lost. If it's on vgp it's easier for bucko & marqs to add it to the wiki also.

In any case, the wiki is a wiki, ie everyone can contribute. I never tried it, but I'll see if I can add some stuff there.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Yes.

Some video processors can accept the OSSC's signal and output a standardized signal that displays can (more readily) accept.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

arovane wrote:
I'm using a VP20 and line triple works. I can even make scanlines work perfectly for the first time on my 1080p plasma! Haven't tried updating to new firmware yet. Loving it as is.
badwhite40

Post by badwhite40 »

In my vp50 pro can't get image in 5x.
I've bought two new hdmi basic cables from amazon... but the image is not stable and can't see anything
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

For someone on the fence who wants to buy one of these things. There is far too much jargon in here.

Was hoping for "You just plug it in and it works, thread closed" kinda thing :wink:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

neorichieb1971 wrote:For someone on the fence who wants to buy one of these things. There is far too much jargon in here.

Was hoping for "You just plug it in and it works, thread closed" kinda thing :wink:
The FW is moving along steadily toward being maxed out. It might get to PnP, or close enough, sometime soon.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If your display and the OSSC are good friends, then it can be plug-and-play. Right now, with the OSSC on completely stock settings, every single one of my consoles just works with no issues if I connect it directly to the OSSC*. How true this is depends on your display.

*: The one exception is GBI-ULL, but since standard GameCube games work without issues, I'll say that works plug-and-play.
Galdelico

Post by Galdelico »

Guys, if he's the Rich I believe he is***, that was clearly a joke. As in... This thread should be less technical, and more like 'buy it asap!', shall any newcomer be around here to take a look. :D

(***same Rich who wrote a flattering review of the OSSC on his website)

- Edit - Well, apparently he's a completely different Rich... My bad. :oops:
Last edited by Galdelico on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

How is monitor compatibility looking for the 4x and 5x modes? I believe nobody found a monitor that didn't accept line-triple right? These new modes have piqued my interest.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

badwhite40 wrote:In my vp50 pro can't get image in 5x.
I've bought two new hdmi basic cables from amazon... but the image is not stable and can't see anything
I ask this all the time, but: have you disabled cadence detection while the OSSC is in 5x mode (cadence detection is a per resolution setting)?
bobrocks95 wrote:How is monitor compatibility looking for the 4x and 5x modes? I believe nobody found a monitor that didn't accept line-triple right? These new modes have piqued my interest.
My HP LP2475W (shitty monitor, but I use it to test stuff) supports 1920x1200. I can almost cut myself on the sharp jailbars of my Sega Genesis :(
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It sounds like the general findings is that 4x is working on most displays, while 5x support is quite spotty.