NEX: Playmessiah's Famiclone

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
professor ganson

NEX: Playmessiah's Famiclone

Post by professor ganson »

Has anyone preordered this? Has anyone read a review? I'd like to know what people think about it.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i also must thank anyone with information. i've been interested in getting a good clone so i can finally use all my nes carts and still have compatibility with the famicom carts i want as well.

this has been the major contender ever since i found out the neofami was piece of shit.

thanks mysterious contributer! ^_^
I have no sig whatsoever.
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Original hardware's the way to go. I'm guessing this will probably use the same "NES on a chip" that practically all Famiclones use... Not horrible, but you'll probably have to deal with glitches. I'd try to pick up an original top loading NES (people list that NeoFami shit on eBay as "top loader"...) or a normal NES that works well.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

this does NOT use the NesOnAChip!

they are working at trying to make sure all problem games (and "external sound" carts) work on this thing.
jiji

Post by jiji »

Yes indeed:
Q: Is the Generation NEX a clone (NOAC) or does it have all of the components of an actual NES inside?
A: NEX is a clone and cannot use the actual NES IC because it is not licensed by Nintendo. (see next)

Q: Does it contain custom ICs, or is it based around the NOAC [NES-on-a-chip] that most "clone" consoles are based around?
A: Our IC is a custom designed IC that is built on the NES algorithm. Every attention to detail has been spent on compatibility.
http://www.playmessiah.com/onlinestore/gnex_faq.htm

I think I'll end up getting one of these, if there aren't any major compatibility problems. I never did buy a Neo Fami. It's a shame they weren't able to include s-video input, though.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

^^^ Yeah, I think this is going to be a great option for those of us fed up with the unreliability of the old machines. And to be able to play imports as well! That's hard to beat. I just want to hear a few reviews before I order one.
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Q: Does it contain custom ICs, or is it based around the NOAC [NES-on-a-chip] that most "clone" consoles are based around?
A: Our IC is a custom designed IC that is built on the NES algorithm. Every attention to detail has been spent on compatibility.
Heh this answer seems a little dodgy... The NOAC is a custom designed chip too... I'd feel more confident if they said "no".
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

It's a shame they weren't able to include s-video input, though.
It's a bigger shame that that their defense for this in their FAQ is complete lying BS:
No, because the old software won't support S-video. We could have converted the AV outputs to S-video but it would have added a lot of cost and given no benefit to the video quality.
FFS, just own up to your cost-cutting and leave it at that. Games don't have to support a different signal output; the video chip just has to produce the proper signal. A real shame, as upgraded video would have been the item that sold me on the console. Any S-Video user can tell you how difficult it is to go back to composite.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I've been looking at the NEX for the composite video output and the FC slot. I haven't had the balls to install composite on my toploader, and the NEX looks sexy and very faithful to what a modern Nintendo-made NES might look like. I would expect it to be a reliable product, free of the compatibility problems that other clones have. I don't trust their controllers though (the design, not the quality), so I'm glad the system accepts genuine controllers.

In case anybody here doesn't yet know this, there's a good cheap way of getting a genuine Nintendo-made FC cart adapter to use with your NES:

http://www.neszone.net/articles/famiguide.shtml

The short of it: Some early NES games have Famicom pcb's, coupled to a NES adapter, all built into the cart. You can harvest that adapter and use it to play Famicom carts on your NES. Check your carts against the info on that page...you may already have an adapter and not know it.
kidneythief
Banned User

Post by kidneythief »

Come on guys, it's 60 bucks... And has a ton of great games. After seeing the shotty NES emulation in some of the PS2 collections, I think it's really worth the buck... Plus from what I understand, they may be developing new games for the console, although I havn't checked this anywhere (heard on some news blurb)... I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to hack some S vid output from her...

Think of the classics, boys!

-the megaman series
-monster in my pocket (seriously a good platformer)
-mario 1 and 3
-bubble bobble
-kung fu!!
-the original metroid
pacman!!
ghosts n goblins !!
of course theres the shooters

twinbee!
194X
gradius 1/2

well just check out the xenocide list :) I will definitely be buying one of these, especially since my original NES has been dead for years and this will natively accept japanese PCBS and usa ones.
Thou shalt not Dumb