Gamecube vs Wii component output

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Joelepain

Re: Gamecube vs Wii component output

Post by Joelepain »

GeneraLight wrote:
Extrems wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Oh, I stand corrected. My apologies for the misinformation. I was trying to find the S-Video Cables on the Nintendo GameCube DOL Accessories Page and couldn't find them.
Because it has a SNES part number, just like the Stereo AV Cable. The RF Modulator is likewise the same as the N64's and the RF Switch goes back to NES.
Thanks. It's crazy how the AV Multi-Out port was first used starting with the AV Famicom/specially refurbished NES Top Loaders all the way up to the GameCube. 4 console generations of Nintendo consoles that can all use the same video cables.
And it's crazy how they screwed up almost every generation and between every region. Except for SNES which is the only one that outputs composite, s-video and rgb in all regions.
They could have even use it on the gamecube and the wii for component, with a setting in the console menu to switch between rgb and component like Sony did...
But you know...Nintendo... :P
DatMonkey

Post by DatMonkey »

I just wanted to add to the PAL-50 club: https://imgur.com/a/m3bYWE5
I haven't opened up the unit but as far as I can tell this indicates a RVL-CPU-50 model. 480p on my PVM looks really good, although I do wonder how much of an improvement getting a WiiDual or GCDual eventually will prove to be.

First post btw, hi guys :P
hurda

Post by hurda »

Hello!
Shank wrote: 40 - AVE A C8391
40 - AVE A C8391
40 - AVE A C8391

40 - AVE BU99
40 - AVE BU99
40 - AVE BU99
40 - AVE BU99
Were any of these with the older AVE non-whites?

EDIT:
Got the answer: They were already disassembled for a while so board and case can't be matched anymore.
hurda

Post by hurda »

bobrocks95 wrote:The pics in this thread are dead now but I feel like "much better" is a bit of a stretch from what I remember the pictures looking like. There's really just not a lot you can do with the Wii's 4:2:2 output to make it look better.

Would be great if comparisons could be re-uploaded somewhere for people to decide for themselves.
bahamutfan64 wrote:Any chance of the original comparison photos being reuploaded?
Fortunately the images from the opening post and a follow-up posting have been preserved on archive.org's Wayback Machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/201606292107 ... 94&start=0
http://web.archive.org/web/201706290149 ... est.54445/
hurda

Post by hurda »

Sorry for multiposting:
Shank wrote: 40 - AVE A C8391
40 - AVE A C8391
40 - AVE A C8391
40 - AVE BU99
40 - AVE BU99
40 - AVE BU99
40 - AVE BU99

[...]

As for the RV-CPU-50, it is a PAL board that was sent to me by Aurelio from Italy. I was unable to find any differences in layout between it and the 60, and I certainly have looked. The AVE on it has a 4th chip number, and its one I've never seen before. It may be a PAL exclusive, but I don't know.

[...]

AVE-RVL A
C4991
1014MOE (I think?)
Apparently it's not PAL-exclusive, but also used in the US.

I found the same AVE-chip in citrus3000psi's WiiDual-installation-video:
US-serial (LU205...): timecode 4:30 https://youtu.be/LAH4ZJ45drY?t=270
C4991 shown: timecode 23:55 https://youtu.be/LAH4ZJ45drY?t=1435
RVL-CPU-40: timecode 47:24 https://youtu.be/LAH4ZJ45drY?t=2844 (bit fuzzy)

EDIT: Fixed video and timecodes
Last edited by hurda on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
rayabusa

Post by rayabusa »

I have a RVL-CPU-40 white Wii, is there an easy way to know if my AVE is BU99 or A C8391?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

rayabusa wrote:I have a RVL-CPU-40 white Wii, is there an easy way to know if my AVE is BU99 or A C8391?
Whitout tearing it down? I doubt it.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Hopefully this thread is okay to necro. It's referenced on RetroRGB.

I've had an itch to revisit the Mario Party GameCube era with the family lately. We run a projector in the living room and I need the output as HDMI. Previously this has been connected to a WEGA CRT and was fine. I currently own:

- A Black/revised Wii running Nintendon't. This is my preference due to ease of use
- A GameCube with digital output and legit component cables

I bought a Sewell Wii HDMI adapter (which is referenced often) and the picture is unacceptably noisy.

What should I get next?

- Wii HD Retrovision cables and Portta Component to HDMI (non-upscaling version) - This is what I'm inclined to try next. Does anyone have this combo?
- Portta for the GC component cables
- Carby for the GC - Maybe less noisy than component to HDMI?
- Something else?

The OSSC and Wiidual are probably more than I'm trying to spend. If there's a strong case for either that's fine too. We've done Dolphin before as well. It is mostly okay but I've had it crash mid-game which hasn't happened on hardware.

Thanks in advance!
Kyle
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I think the best experiences you're going to get are with digital-to-digital solutions, like the GCVideo products that use the Digital AV port on the GameCube or the WiiDual--these avoid the noise you get by going from digital to analogue to digital with sub-par components.

Next best is likely going to be what you said you're leaning towards--Wii with a good-quality component cable and a [non-scaling] Portta YPbPr-to-HDMI adapter.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I think there's a strong case for wiidual. It's effectively both a GC and a Wii solution, and it's a GBA solution with the correct homebrew.

That's two systems you cover for the cost plus one more for free if you want to do the software legwork.

I also agree with nmalinoski about the Wii component cables. In my experience, the component output of GC games on the Wii is really good (I personally can't tell the diff with the GC component output), it's the Wii games out of the Wii component cables that look soft/fuzzy. There's some weird software error that Extrems discovered on a thread like 3 years ago or so that explains why the Wii has crappy component out, but I'm fairly sure it doesn't effect GC games, and if it does, I could never tell. I've got a Wiidual now tho, and it's stellar on a projector.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It does affect GameCube games.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Should be noted that it affects component output at 480p, not 480i (though for HDMI as the last step you probably want 480p anyway).
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Kyle wrote:Wii HD Retrovision cables and Portta Component to HDMI (non-upscaling version)
I just wanted to circle back that I got these today. I get a very clean (and thankfully 4x3) image with this combo unlike what I was getting with the Wii to HDMI adapter. Both came from Amazon. I figured worst case they could go back. Thanks for all of the input guys.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TL6L7MY/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VJ9RP6/
strayan

Post by strayan »

I've never had any experience with those Sewell type HDMI wii adapters or their clones (who cloned who, no idea) but it looks like some actually upscale 480p to 1080p (very poorly I imagine) and some just pass through 480p.

Does anyone have any opinions on the ones that output 480p only?
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

strayan wrote:I've never had any experience with those Sewell type HDMI wii adapters or their clones (who cloned who, no idea) but it looks like some actually upscale 480p to 1080p (very poorly I imagine) and some just pass through 480p.
The Sewell does not upscale. It's part of the reason you'll see so many recommendations for it. I'm not saying you'll have a bad experience with it either. It's just when I hooked it up to my projector it looked like I was trying to apply some sort of VHS filter. Lots of noise crawling across the screen during game play - that was unfortunately amplified when I project a 12 ft image. My nieces have one of these connected to a standard HDTV and get a fine picture from it.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Those things are terrible just don't
RocketBelt

Post by RocketBelt »

I have a first-model wii with soft video output but a pristine case.
If i buy a black wii with a beat-up case and/or missing flaps (with the better video output and gamecube ports) can I transfer the motherboard and other innards from one case to the other?
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

RocketBelt wrote:can I transfer the motherboard and other innards from one case to the other?
I think so. If you can't get a more definitive answer from someone here, these guys know that shit inside out: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?t ... -101.1286/
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

RocketBelt wrote:I have a first-model wii with soft video output but a pristine case.
If i buy a black wii with a beat-up case and/or missing flaps (with the better video output and gamecube ports) can I transfer the motherboard and other innards from one case to the other?
I am also interested in knowing the answer to this.

I still have my RVL-CPU-01 White Wii that I got for Christmas in 2006. I want to transplant the system NAND/memory chip into an RVL-CPU-60 Wii so I can play all my legit Wii Virtual Console games and Wii save data on an RVL-CPU-60 Wii. CPU-60s produce less heat, consume less electricity, have better image quality, are newer and are compatible with the WiiDual mod. Does anyone know if doing a software/hardware transplant of my Wii's memory to another Wii is possible? Would there be any complications? Thanks
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

GeneraLight wrote:I want to transplant the system NAND/memory chip into an RVL-CPU-60 Wii so I can play all my legit Wii Virtual Console games and Wii save data on an RVL-CPU-60 Wii. CPU-60s produce less heat, consume less electricity, have better image quality, are newer and are compatible with the WiiDual mod.
"Better image quality" doesn't really matter if you replace the entire video output using the WiiDual?

There is also a board design that fits into an RVL-CPU-01 Wii. It doesn't replace the analog video signals of the Wii, but why would you want them anyway if you have a digital output already?
Does anyone know if doing a software/hardware transplant of my Wii's memory to another Wii is possible? Would there be any complications? Thanks
The Wii's system flash is encrypted with a console-specific key that is stored in one-time programmable memory, so just swapping chips will not work. You will at least need to decrypt the original flash and reencrypt it for the new console. If the flash of the new system has bad blocks in a location that contained data on the old system, you'll need to figure out a way to remap them too.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Unseen wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:I want to transplant the system NAND/memory chip into an RVL-CPU-60 Wii so I can play all my legit Wii Virtual Console games and Wii save data on an RVL-CPU-60 Wii. CPU-60s produce less heat, consume less electricity, have better image quality, are newer and are compatible with the WiiDual mod.
"Better image quality" doesn't really matter if you replace the entire video output using the WiiDual?

There is also a board design that fits into an RVL-CPU-01 Wii. It doesn't replace the analog video signals of the Wii, but why would you want them anyway if you have a digital output already?
Yeah, you're right. Stock video output is irrelevant if I'm using the WiiDual. Is anyone currently making PCBs for this RVL-CPU-01 Wii board design? I want analog output so I can play on a CRT.
Unseen wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Does anyone know if doing a software/hardware transplant of my Wii's memory to another Wii is possible? Would there be any complications? Thanks
The Wii's system flash is encrypted with a console-specific key that is stored in one-time programmable memory, so just swapping chips will not work. You will at least need to decrypt the original flash and reencrypt it for the new console. If the flash of the new system has bad blocks in a location that contained data on the old system, you'll need to figure out a way to remap them too.
How easy/hard would it be to decrypt and re-encrpyt the Wii's system flash? Would it be simpler to just do a soft transfer via flashing/overwritting instead of a hard chip transplant?

Thanks
Alf

Post by Alf »

Necrobump, much sorrow.

So are you guys saying that when playing on a PVM in 240p, there is no difference in quality between Wii models?
Because I'm seriously considering a Wii as my PVM emulator machine and need to know if this affects me.

Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

The output quality is resolution agnostic-- it'll show up in 240p on a sharp display just the same as it will in 480p. Its acceptable depending on your expectations. If you want the best, the Wii is not it. After spending some time with the MiSTer properly loaded with a ton of cores and ROMS, I highly recommend it as a retro emulation machine. Its incredible.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It doesn't show up in 240p nor 480i.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Unfortunately MiSTer pricing these days puts it in a completely different price bracket, and the Wii interface is still a lot of fun to navigate, so I see the appeal.

Extrems beat me to the punch- I don't think you'll have any complaints about 240p from the Wii on a PVM.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

480p is to blame for giving the Wii a bad name. Feels like this myth will never die.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bobrocks95 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:10 pm Unfortunately MiSTer pricing these days puts it in a completely different price bracket
Boy you're not kidding. I got my DE10 Nano before the pandemic for half what it's going for now.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Honestly, I feel like until those prices come down again (assuming they ever do), it makes more sense to buy a cheap used windows PC with enough HP to run whatever. There are plenty of 15kHz output solutions for PCs these days

Currently, I'm still using my RPI4 with a Retrotink Ultimate to my video monitor and it's still working just a great as it ever did for anything this side of a PS2. And I don't feel like I need emulation for anything of that age or newer

It may be that it's nice to have a one-machine-solution to all your game wants, but it's clearly now something that comes at a premium. (of time and/or money)
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

yeah, any used business PC you pick up on Facebook for $20 will work fine for emulation via CRT Emudriver to a PVM. More versatile than what you can do with a Wii. You can even emulate a Wii
Alf

Post by Alf »

BazookaBen wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:58 pm yeah, any used business PC you pick up on Facebook for $20 will work fine for emulation via CRT Emudriver to a PVM. More versatile than what you can do with a Wii. You can even emulate a Wii
I did build a miniPC in a 4 liters case, looks lovely. Went with the strongest CPU that can still be passively cooled but then realized that the flex PSU is loud as hell. Found exactly one passive flex but costs a lot. A used Radeon is dirt cheap but the entire build was still around 300€.

But then you have stuff like adjusting Retroarch for each system and stuff like first seconds of Windows POST loading potentially damaging your PVM and...the more I think about it, the more I like this Wii idea.

edit
Also, the Wii would run GC and Wii games natively which is a big plus AND you can hook up either a WiiU Pro pad directly or even an Xone pad over 2 converters.