Gamecube vs Wii component output

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bahamutfan64

Re: Gamecube vs Wii component output

Post by bahamutfan64 »

Any chance of the original comparison photos being reuploaded?

The GCVideo X2, which is an external Gamecube dongle that would allow for HDMI and YPbPr output is in the works, so I'm really curious if it's worth it as I already have a Wii.
applefan

Post by applefan »

Hello.

Any white original GC compatible Wiis that have better component output? My serial number begins with LU73, if that means anything. I think mine may be a four layer board because I notice that it rarely heats up. It stays relatively cool. My older LU50 Wii used to get really hot.

I've heard that the RVL CPU 40s and up had better component output than the earlier revisions. Do the RVL CPU 40 and 60 have the same component quality as the RVL-101? Are the 40 and 60 different from each other in terms of component?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Tofuman wrote:So I have a Red PAL RVL-001 and it’s RVL-CPU-50. Don’t know if anyone need the info, but yeah they exist, atleast over here. It’s the only Wii I’ve ever owned, so I can’t say much about how common they are.
Wow so RVL-CPU-50 actually exist! So far their existence has been unconfirmed.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Lawfer wrote:Wow so RVL-CPU-50 actually exist! So far their existence has been unconfirmed.
Yeah, they do exist. They're just extremely rare. By far the rarest motherboard revision on the Wii. If I recall correctly, they are limited to PAL regions.

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?t ... post-25500
applefan wrote:Hello.

Any white original GC compatible Wiis that have better component output? My serial number begins with LU73, if that means anything. I think mine may be a four layer board because I notice that it rarely heats up. It stays relatively cool. My older LU50 Wii used to get really hot.
Yes. White Wiis can have a 40,White Wiis starting with LU7 are most likely 4 layer.

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?t ... mbers.716/
I've heard that the RVL CPU 40s and up had better component output than the earlier revisions.
Yes, they do. Much better YPbPr Component video output. Probably even better RGB, YC S-Video and CVBS Composite video output too.
Do the RVL CPU 40 and 60 have the same component quality as the RVL-101?
Yes. They only real difference between the 40/60 and the 101 is that the GameCube controller ports aren't soldered onto the 101 board.
Are the 40 and 60 different from each other in terms of component?
According to citrus3000psi, the 40 and 60 have the exact same component video output, along with the 101. The only difference between the 40 and 60 is that the 60 generates less heat and uses less power than the 60 due to a regulator swap. All parts made by SHARP are replaced with other branded stuff on the 60 onward as well.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

GeneraLight wrote:According to citrus3000psi, the 40 and 60 have the exact same component video output, along with the 101. The only difference between the 40 and 60 is that the 60 generates less heat and uses less power than the 60 due to a regulator swap. All parts made by SHARP are replaced with other branded stuff on the 60 onward as well.
Also the disc drive from the 101 is different from the 001.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

GeneraLight wrote:
I've heard that the RVL CPU 40s and up had better component output than the earlier revisions.
Yes, they do. Much better YPbPr Component video output. Probably even better RGB, YC S-Video and CVBS Composite video output too.
The pics in this thread are dead now but I feel like "much better" is a bit of a stretch from what I remember the pictures looking like. There's really just not a lot you can do with the Wii's 4:2:2 output to make it look better.

Would be great if comparisons could be re-uploaded somewhere for people to decide for themselves.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

bobrocks95 wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:
The pics in this thread are dead now but I feel like "much better" is a bit of a stretch from what I remember the pictures looking like. There's really just not a lot you can do with the Wii's 4:2:2 output to make it look better.

Would be great if comparisons could be re-uploaded somewhere for people to decide for themselves.
You'll see a difference when you choose 480p and use an upscaler like a DVDO VP50Pro, Optoma HD3000 and such to upscale from 480p to 1080p, you won't see that much difference on a CRT.
Shank

Post by Shank »

Hello everybody,
Sorry to necro on my first post, but I just came across this thread today. Given that it discusses my thread a bunch, and I have information to add, I thought I'd chime in. But first...
GeneraLight wrote: I wonder if the 10s and 50s actually exist?
Wonder no more!
50 seems to be PAL only, while the 10 has an extra custom chip called WRT-RVL on it, my guess is for Wi-Fi functions that were later integrated into the primary chips. The RVO-CPU-10 does exist, (I have one but can't find it right now), but its nothing particularly special compared to the RVO-CPU-01.

I heard you guys like wii motherboards. Here's what I currently have:

I did a sample of the AVE Chips VS Motherboard Revisions I have laying around. I didn't do any of the unopened ones in the picture, as disassembling and reassembling Wii's is a pain, but I can if needed. Here is my sample:
01 - AVE BU90
01 - AVE BU90
01 - AVE BU90

10 - AVE BU90

20 - AVE A 8391
20 - AVE A 8391

40 - AVE A C8391
40 - AVE A C8391
40 - AVE A C8391
40 - AVE BU99
40 - AVE BU99
40 - AVE BU99
40 - AVE BU99

60 - AVE BU99

K01 - AVE BU99
K01 - AVE BU99
K01 - AVE BU99
K01 - AVE BU99

K02 - AVE BU99
K02 - AVE BU99
K02 - AVE BU99
K02 - AVE BU99

Chips seem to be chronological, contrary to my original expectation of random. However the same board revision can have different AVE chips, like the 40. Note that the AVE chip had its own dedicated 1.8v switch mode power supply on the RVL-01 and the RVL-10. On the 20 and beyond, this power supply was removed, and the chip was powered by the 1.7-1.8v LDO linear regulator that powers the ram chip. The AVE and RAM are the only thing that use the LDO1.8v rail. When trimming the 01 board for portablizng, the 1.8v switching supply is removed, and the AVE can be powered by the LDO and it continues to operate without a hickup.

Another unlikely cause but I might as well note is that from the 40 to the 60, the 1.8v LDO that powers the AVE was changed from one brand to another. If one provides a less-clean signal, that may play a role, but its unlikely.

As for the RV-CPU-50, it is a PAL board that was sent to me by Aurelio from Italy. I was unable to find any differences in layout between it and the 60, and I certainly have looked. The AVE on it has a 4th chip number, and its one I've never seen before. It may be a PAL exclusive, but I don't know.

AVE-RVL A
C4991
1014MOE (I think?)

As for finding a revision based off the serial number, there is no current set in stone method, but we are working on building a database of Wii Serial Numbers VS Revisions to try to find a correlation. Feel free to contribute.

Back to the REAL question here: do some Wiis have better video quality than others, and if so, which ones? I don't know. I've been gathering footage from all my consoles with a component video capture card and a friend who is a video quality nut. I hope to have an answer eventually, but I can't know for sure till we finish, which I expect to be a while.

Bonus picture for fun:
2 Blank Wii Dummy Motherboards sent to me by Watsug. No idea where he got these, or what they were use for, but he was kind enough to send them to me.

I don't frequent this forum, so if you need help and can't get a hold of me here, feel free to shoot me a message on BitBuilt.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Shank wrote:Hello everybody,
Sorry to necro on my first post, but I just came across this thread today. Given that it discusses my thread a bunch, and I have information to add, I thought I'd chime in.
Hey Shank. You're fine. Thank you so much for all of this information and welcome to the shmups11 forum!
Wonder no more!

50 seems to be PAL only, while the 10 has an extra custom chip called WRT-RVL on it, my guess is for Wi-Fi functions that were later integrated into the primary chips. The RVO-CPU-10 does exist, (I have one but can't find it right now), but its nothing particularly special compared to the RVO-CPU-01.
Nice. Even if the 10 and 50 changed very little from the 01 and 40 respectively, they're still important pieces of the Wii's history and give us full insight of the Wii's motherboard revisions. It's like filling in the puzzle with the missing puzzle pieces to paint the entire picture and understand it. :P
I did a sample of the AVE Chips VS Motherboard Revisions I have laying around. I didn't do any of the unopened ones in the picture, as disassembling and reassembling Wii's is a pain, but I can if needed. Here is my sample:

Chips seem to be chronological, contrary to my original expectation of random. However the same board revision can have different AVE chips, like the 40. Note that the AVE chip had its own dedicated 1.8v switch mode power supply on the RVL-01 and the RVL-10. On the 20 and beyond, this power supply was removed, and the chip was powered by the 1.7-1.8v LDO linear regulator that powers the ram chip. The AVE and RAM are the only thing that use the LDO1.8v rail. When trimming the 01 board for portablizng, the 1.8v switching supply is removed, and the AVE can be powered by the LDO and it continues to operate without a hickup.

Another unlikely cause but I might as well note is that from the 40 to the 60, the 1.8v LDO that powers the AVE was changed from one brand to another. If one provides a less-clean signal, that may play a role, but its unlikely.
AVE stand for Analog Video Encoder, right? Based on the sample size, it seems that the earlier 40s (roughly half) use the AVE A C8391 while the later 40s+beyond use the AVE BU99. The AVE BU99 seems to be the improved video quality chip and it's present on every Wii after the older 40s. That would also mean that having a 40 Wii isn't a guarantee for the better picture quality. A 40 Wii could have the worse picture quality.
As for the RV-CPU-50, it is a PAL board that was sent to me by Aurelio from Italy. I was unable to find any differences in layout between it and the 60, and I certainly have looked. The AVE on it has a 4th chip number, and its one I've never seen before. It may be a PAL exclusive, but I don't know.
Still pretty neat. I think it may be a PAL exclusive as well, but the reasoning for releasing in such small quantities in PAL regions only is quite unusual.
Thanks for reminding me that I need to submit my serial numbers. I have an LU92 Red Wii with a 40 motherboard, and two LU96 Red Wiis with 60s. It seems that Red Wii didn't start getting 60 motherboards until somewhere around the LU95xxxx mark.
Back to the REAL question here: do some Wiis have better video quality than others, and if so, which ones? I don't know. I've been gathering footage from all my consoles with a component video capture card and a friend who is a video quality nut. I hope to have an answer eventually, but I can't know for sure till we finish, which I expect to be a while.
Yes. Later Wiis have better video quality than earlier Wiis. The general consensus seems to be 40 and newer, although your new information may suggest that not all 40s have the improved video quality. OP's post had test bar/grid pattern images detailing the differences in sharpness, color, etc. between the older and newer Wiis, although the links are broken now.

You should do a close-up video comparison between Wiis with the AVE BU90, AVE A 8391 and AVE BU99, all outputting 480p YPbPr in 4:3 and 16:9. Thanks!
Shank

Post by Shank »

GeneraLight wrote:
Shank wrote:
You should do a close-up video comparison between Wiis with the AVE BU90, AVE A 8391 and AVE BU99, all outputting 480p YPbPr in 4:3 and 16:9. Thanks!
My plan is to run the same footage in from several consoles into a capture card, analyze the footage, come to a conclusion, then upload all the footage and my findings altogether. Is a capture card a proper way to do it?
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Shank wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:
Shank wrote:
My plan is to run the same footage in from several consoles into a capture card, analyze the footage, come to a conclusion, then upload all the footage and my findings altogether. Is a capture card a proper way to do it?
Yes. A capture card is 100% preferred over a camera, as you are getting lossless footage with no variables in lighting, distance, focus, etc., along with avoiding things such as moire patterns.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

GeneraLight wrote:Thanks for reminding me that I need to submit my serial numbers. I have an LU92 Red Wii with a 40 motherboard, and two LU96 Red Wiis with 60s. It seems that Red Wii didn't start getting 60 motherboards until somewhere around the LU95xxxx mark.
That doesn't seem to be an accurate indicator though, three people have a Red CPU-40 with serial numbers of "LU95129560-9", "LU96194436-8" and "LU96299904-6" while someone else has a Red CPU-60 with a serial number of "LU95223367-9".

It's a similar situation as the Nintendo 64, I have a launch Nintendo 64 with the low serial number of NUJ10052593 and I got a CPU-02, someone with an even lower serial number of NUJ10052075 also got a CPU-02, while someone got one with the serial number of NUJ10185860 and it was a CPU-01.
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

Interesting Topic. I cannot contribute any technical Details but on my 4k Panasonic the Wii component looks just horrible. The image is way too dark. The Gamecube with the HDMI Mod does a much better job than my Wii. The signal seems way superior to the Wii. But not sure to be honest if this is the fault of my certain TV or if the Wii is really that bad.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:Interesting Topic. I cannot contribute any technical Details but on my 4k Panasonic the Wii component looks just horrible. The image is way too dark. The Gamecube with the HDMI Mod does a much better job than my Wii. The signal seems way superior to the Wii. But not sure to be honest if this is the fault of my certain TV or if the Wii is really that bad.
What's your Wii revision?
Revolver Ocelot

Lawfer wrote:
Revolver Ocelot wrote:Interesting Topic. I cannot contribute any technical Details but on my 4k Panasonic the Wii component looks just horrible. The image is way too dark. The Gamecube with the HDMI Mod does a much better job than my Wii. The signal seems way superior to the Wii. But not sure to be honest if this is the fault of my certain TV or if the Wii is really that bad.
It is the first Revision. Got it a few weeks afte the release date of the console.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
It is the first Revision. Got it a few weeks afte the release date of the console.
So it should be a CPU-01 then.

Yeah the 01-30 have very bad picture quality, it isn't too bad if you use them on a CRT with Component or RGB cables, but it becomes apparent how bad it truly is when you use them on digital displays like 1080p or 2160p.
Revolver Ocelot

@ Lawfer
Ok I see. The whole Picture Quality issue is pretty weird. When using the Wii on the predessor of my 4k panasonic the .40. Samsung m86 (1080p Modell ) the Picture quality was not that bad with Composite !!!!!!.

Back then I was not informed very well about the different methods for good Image quality. But last year I got a component cable for the Wii and was really disappointed. Maybe the weaker Composite Signal was very good at hidding some issues that a higher quality Signal would reveal. Well it is no issue anymore.

Since I have my HDMI gamecube. I was using the Wii primerly for Cube games anyway.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

ITT people learn how component manufacturing works.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Revolver Ocelot wrote:But last year I got a component cable for the Wii and was really disappointed. Maybe the weaker Composite Signal was very good at hidding some issues that a higher quality Signal would reveal. Well it is no issue anymore.
Are you sure you got a decent quality component cable? Also I assume you changed the output to 480p in the settings?

The Wii component is not amazing but I would be surprised if you didn't notice some pretty major improvement over composite. I know I was very happy with it when I switched back in the day (although I mostly just played Smash on it).
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Kez wrote:
Revolver Ocelot wrote:But last year I got a component cable for the Wii and was really disappointed. Maybe the weaker Composite Signal was very good at hidding some issues that a higher quality Signal would reveal. Well it is no issue anymore.
Are you sure you got a decent quality component cable? Also I assume you changed the output to 480p in the settings?

The Wii component is not amazing but I would be surprised if you didn't notice some pretty major improvement over composite. I know I was very happy with it when I switched back in the day (although I mostly just played Smash on it).
Speaking of Wii component cable quality, do the Official Nintendo Wii Component Cables provide the highest quality image with the sharpest and cleanest YPbPr signal?

Also, I've noticed that the Official Nintendo Wii Component Cables have two different versions of their box packaging designs. One shows only a picture of the cables on the front, while other has a transparent plastic cutout in the front which show the actual cables.

Do you think these would have any difference in signal quality?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:Speaking of Wii component cable quality, do the Official Nintendo Wii Component Cables provide the highest quality image with the sharpest and cleanest YPbPr signal?
Generally, first-party cables are good enough to avoid signal noise. For example, I have the official, Sony-branded PS2 component cable, and I've never noticed any quality issues with it whatsoever. The PS3 ones should have the same quality, and I expect the Nintendo-branded cables to offer that kind of quality as well.

Third-party cables, especially generic/unbranded ones or those from Tomee, are designed to have the lowest manufacturing cost while still being minimally functional. If you want quality, you'll need to source either a first-party cable, or a third-party cable from a known-good manufacturer, like Retro Access, Retro Gaming Cables, thefoo.83 on eBay, or HD RetroVision, assuming any of them decide to start manufacturing Wii component cables; which may be unlikely, considering how popular the Wii was; I assume the number of first-party component cables floating around out there is pretty high.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

nmalinoski wrote:Generally, first-party cables are good enough to avoid signal noise. For example, I have the official, Sony-branded PS2 component cable, and I've never noticed any quality issues with it whatsoever. The PS3 ones should have the same quality, and I expect the Nintendo-branded cables to offer that kind of quality as well.
This is true. Although one exception I've noticed is with S-Video cables for the Nintendo 64. Since there were never any official S-Video cables made for the Nintendo 64 or GameCube by Nintendo, you had to use their SNES cables if you wanted only official cables. The Official SNES S-Video Cables (SHVC-009) by Nintendo did not look as good on my Nintendo 64 as the Monster Cable GCGL300 SV-10 GameCube S-Video Cables did. Both were in mint condition too.
Third-party cables, especially generic/unbranded ones or those from Tomee, are designed to have the lowest manufacturing cost while still being minimally functional. If you want quality, you'll need to source either a first-party cable, or a third-party cable from a known-good manufacturer, like Retro Access, Retro Gaming Cables, thefoo.83 on eBay, or HD RetroVision, assuming any of them decide to start manufacturing Wii component cables; which may be unlikely, considering how popular the Wii was; I assume the number of first-party component cables floating around out there is pretty high.
This is also true. Most third-party cables for any system are complete trash, because of the lowest manufacturing designs made to cut costs like you said, resulting in minimal quality.

An excellent example would be 99% of S-Video cables for the Nintendo 64. Nearly all third-party S-Video cables for the N64 are actually wired for CVBS Composite, instead of YC S-Video like they should be. That combined with poor shielding and other things results in an awful checkerboard pattern and an image that is actually worse than just using standard composite cables, first or third party.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

GeneraLight wrote:Image

Do you think these would have any difference in signal quality?
Isn't the one on the left just the European version and the one on the right the US version?

GeneraLight wrote:Speaking of Wii component cable quality, do the Official Nintendo Wii Component Cables provide the highest quality image with the sharpest and cleanest YPbPr signal?
A cable no matter how good it is, is not going to bring in much improvement if the source itself is not up to standards.

But if you want good quality third party Wii component cables, these two might be worth checking out:

AudioQuest GQ-300W: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032A6NQA

Monster Wii GameLink: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002T7XV9Y/

GeneraLight wrote:Since there were never any official S-Video cables made for the Nintendo 64 or GameCube by Nintendo
Actually there are, they are just rare nowadays and they look almost exactly like the S-Video cables for the Super Famicom, the difference is the packaging, on the cble itself the difference is that the connector colors are black, while the connectors of the Super Famicom version are dark grey.

Official GameCube S-Video Cable:

Official Super Famicom S-Video Cable:

Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Lawfer wrote:Isn't the one on the left just the European version and the one on the right the US version?
Nope. I just checked mine and it says Nintendo of America Inc. For sale only in the US, Canada and Latin America.

Lawfer wrote:A cable no matter how good it is, is not going to bring in much improvement if the source itself is not up to standards.

But if you want good quality third party Wii component cables, these two might be worth checking out:

AudioQuest GQ-300W: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032A6NQA

Monster Wii GameLink: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002T7XV9Y/
Thanks. Monster is an excellent brand, quality-wise. I was wondering how good the official Nintendo Wii Component Cables were though compared to other cables.

From what I've seen, Audio Quest is even worse than Monster when it comes to price. https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamo ... 003CT08IA/
Lawfer wrote:Actually there are, they are just rare nowadays and they look almost exactly like the S-Video cables for the Super Famicom, the difference is the packaging, on the cble itself the difference is that the connector colors are black, while the connectors of the Super Famicom version are dark grey.
Oh, I stand corrected. My apologies for the misinformation. I was trying to find the S-Video Cables on the Nintendo GameCube DOL Accessories Page and couldn't find them.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

GeneraLight wrote:
Lawfer wrote:Isn't the one on the left just the European version and the one on the right the US version?
Nope. I just checked mine and it says Nintendo of America Inc. For sale only in the US, Canada and Latin America.

I see, the one on the left might be a newer version then? I have the one on the one on the right, I purchased it from amazon.com (not from a third party marketplace) in June/July 2009. From what I seen that's the one that is the most commonplace, didn't even know there was a second version released for the US. It reminds me of the Xbox 360 VGA cable, where Microsoft had two versions:

Microsoft Xbox 360 Original Version 2005 VGA Cable:

Microsft Xbox 360 2nd Version 2010 VGA Cable:

GeneraLight wrote:From what I've seen, Audio Quest is even worse than Monster when it comes to price. https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamo ... 003CT08IA/
AudioQuest can have any price range and quality, it goes from low end to very high end. Actually their Diamond HDMI cables are kinda infamous for their price point, but they are not the worst, you should see the Nordost Valhalla 2 HDMI cables: https://www.futureshop.co.uk/nordost-va ... hdmi-cable

GeneraLight wrote:Oh, I stand corrected. My apologies for the misinformation. I was trying to find the S-Video Cables on the Nintendo GameCube DOL Accessories Page and couldn't find them.
Don't worry, they are kinda hard to find and I think they were only ever released in Japan too.

But just so you know, they might be official but those aren't "awesome" cables, same thing for all the similar looking official cables. The Monster Cables GameLinks have much better shielding, connectors and overall build and unlike with the Wii cables those might be worth purchasing.
Revolver Ocelot

Kez wrote:

yes I changed the settings to 480p. Was a third party cable and not the offical Nintendo one, so maybe thats the reason. And it is not that that I cannot say any "improvements". The image is way sharper but it is also too dark. That just does not look good.

For some time I thought it could be the fault of the component port of my LCD but I am using my ps2 with component now and there are no brightness issues. So it mus be the cable.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

GeneraLight wrote:Oh, I stand corrected. My apologies for the misinformation. I was trying to find the S-Video Cables on the Nintendo GameCube DOL Accessories Page and couldn't find them.
Because it has a SNES part number, just like the Stereo AV Cable. The RF Modulator is likewise the same as the N64's and the RF Switch goes back to NES.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Extrems wrote:
Because it has a SNES part number, just like the Stereo AV Cable. The RF Modulator is likewise the same as the N64's and the RF Switch goes back to NES.
Thanks. It's crazy how the AV Multi-Out port was first used starting with the AV Famicom/specially refurbished NES Top Loaders all the way up to the GameCube. 4 console generations of Nintendo consoles that can all use the same video cables.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:Thanks. It's crazy how the AV Multi-Out port was first used starting with the AV Famicom/specially refurbished NES Top Loaders all the way up to the GameCube. 4 console generations of Nintendo consoles that can all use the same video cables.
Sony's MultiAV cable only persisted three console generations, but saw usage as an input connector on at least some Sony TVs in Japan (I imagine VCRs and DVD players as well, but I haven't been able to find any information), and you would use cables with AV Multi connectors on both ends for connecting them together.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

1st party cables are totally unnecessary, especially since they're going for more now used on ebay than they were new at retail. You just need to find a 3rd party cable with decent reviews, so you know it's wired/shielded properly. Signal quality will be the same.