shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:45 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73
 Post subject: Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:46 pm 

tesla246 wrote:
Do you think such a solution is worth chasing and viable, maybe in due time, in terms of effort, cost, people of interest etc?

Considering you'd need compatible homebrew software in order to see anything, and it wouldn't be compatible with the Game Boy Player, I don't think it's economically viable.

More advanced chroma upsampling than what GCVideo offers goes a long way, and a debanding filter solves the banding caused by the lack of dithering in the full to limited range conversion.

I've been thinking about this for many years, along with a ARM SoC add-on to add useful peripherals such as USB and Ethernet, but they're just pipe dreams.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:27 pm 

Extrems wrote:
Considering you'd need compatible homebrew software in order to see anything, and it wouldn't be compatible with the Game Boy Player, I don't think it's economically viable.

Well, the solution already exists for GBI, so people with GBP connected would not benefit from the device anyway. Personally I wouldn't mind if it occupied the Hi-Speed port at all, but you would have to hack each software title?

Quote:
I've been thinking about this for many years, along with a ARM SoC add-on to add useful peripherals such as USB and Ethernet, but they're just pipe dreams.

Haha, great minds think alike...I would say that if I was not aware of the severe limitations of my own intellect :D . But it is reassuring that I'm not the only one who keeps dreaming of a true RGB picture from the cube...I know I would certainly pay whatever necessary just because it also has been on my mind literally for years. Maybe someday!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to theorize about this issue, I always read your posts with great anticipation. It is good to have you on the scene among others (unseen, citrus, emukidid etc.). Have a nice day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:53 pm 

tesla246 wrote:
Personally I wouldn't mind if it occupied the Hi-Speed port at all, but you would have to hack each software title?

It'd just be a generic patch applied by Swiss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:54 pm 

Extrems wrote:
tesla246 wrote:
Personally I wouldn't mind if it occupied the Hi-Speed port at all, but you would have to hack each software title?

It'd just be a generic patch applied by Swiss.

Interesting, so those YUYV copy's splitted 2 ARGB copies, that data goes to the Hi speed port hardware device, and then to something like GCvideo?
If that is indeed the case, would GCvideo only need to be updated to adapt that data stream for a RGB picture? Do the current FPGA boards (citrus, pluto) offer enough in terms of pins and/or memory?

Also, would the penalty hit on the GPU affect framerate/other tasks negligibly?

Last edited by tesla246 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:03 pm 

YUV (YCbCr)? I said RGB.

It has to be new hardware.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:28 pm 

No I meant the 2 ARGB copies of that YUYV data. I wasn't really clear on that and have edited my post accordingly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:34 pm 

Still wrong. This is copying RGB to RGB. The YUYV copy is substituted by those 2 ARGB copies.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 am 

Oof, I'm not really familiar with those terms. I thought ''the missing data'' goes to our new hardware in Hi speed port and then to GCvideo? Are my followup assumptions correct in that post?

Do you know of a good site where I can read up on this stuff (goodle?)? Thanks for answering.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:40 pm 

The device would be responsible for every aspects of video output. GCVideo is irrelevant here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:53 pm 

@Extrems--you seem to be somewhat dismissive/critical of the Carby component cables. Is there something inherently wrong with them that I should know about? I don't doubt your knowledge, I'm just curious what issues (if any) they exhibit. Are they inferior to the OEM cables?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:23 pm 

Yeah, I was curious why they require special settings for GBI. What do they do differently from other implementations?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 pm 

For GBI, with GCVideo-DVI 2.4d or earlier, gbisr-gchd.cli is recommended with some settings on the GBI wiki. (https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/Speedrunning_Edition#High-definition_televisions)

Are these the same recommended settings after updating to 3.0d?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:33 am 

bobrocks95 wrote:
Are these the same recommended settings after updating to 3.0d?

I just remembered that 720i is a thing.

If neither an HDMI to YPbPr converter (for 1080i) nor an OSSC (for 720p/1080p) are options, these are the new recommendations: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/Standard_Edition#GCVideo-DVI_v3.0_and_later

Here are unscaled previews:

I'm still struck in awe seeing this kind of output rendered entirely on the GPU.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73