Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by fernan1234 »

Extrems wrote:As of Swiss r642, 960i is back, functional, and compatible with GCVideo-DVI.

ImageImage
Is this unreleased as of now? On githun the latest I see is r634. With that release I only see 1080i as an option, which I tried booting my Wind Waker NTSC-J disc and I got a black screen with sound. Does 1080i only work reading games from SD card, or is this game just not compatible?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

There's no released build, but you can build from source.

1080i is not compatible with GCVideo-DVI or the AVE-RVL. Furthermore, you need a 60 FPS game for increased rendering resolution, which Wind Waker is not.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I'm guessing that 960i is also incompatible with AVE-RVL. Guess I'll have to wait until I can test a WiiDual. Good to know about the 60fps requirement too. Too bad so many great games are 30fps only.

I did check out the 480sf video mode though. As a fan of interlace presentation on my monitor, I'm thankful for it. I want to say that it looks a tiny bit less flickery than 480i, but maybe that's just in my head.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

960i is compatible, but requires to be flagged as progressive (set AVE Compatibility: AVE-RVL in r643+).

480sf is 480p29.97 in a 480i59.94 transport, intended for capture devices.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Interesting stuff. I guess it's time to stop being lazy and finally learn to build a .dol from the source files, because I really want to check out how an interlaced double resolution will look.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Does anyone know if the difference between the GCvideo analogue output and official GC component cables is detectable on a 480p CRT? I suspect not but would be interested to hear anyone’s experience.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

GeneraLight wrote:Did you have WiiConnect24 activated before it was shut down in 2012? Leaving WiiConnect24 on has been known to cause Wiis to overheat and damage the GPU, causing the video artifacts.
I wanted to confirm that this is indeed true, well at least if you are the kind that leave their Wii hooked to the wall outlet even when you are done playing. What happens when you leave the Wii hooked even when you turned it off as that power still flows trough it, as you can see by the fact that there is a small light on it, but when you unplug it there are no light. The thing is that as long you have it plugged even when it's powered off the Wii will be warm to the touch, wheras when WiiConnect24 is disabled, the Wii is pretty cool to the touch when powered off unlike when WiiConnect24 is enabled where instead it is warm.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Yep, WiiConnect24 killed my launch Wii's GPU. I remember contacting Nintendo about it and the price they quoted me was about the same as buying a new Wii, which is exactly what I did. They also told me I was SOL with the Virtual Console titles that I had purchased as they would not be recoverable and Nintendo had no purchase history for them (this was in like 2010). Coincidentally, this event is what prompted me to swear off digital game purchases forever, something that still rings true to this day.
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Sorry for the double post. Is there (or will there be) an analog component cable for the Gamecube? I have the original GCHD and I am considering upgrading to the MK II simply for the option of using my Wii component cables. I seem to recall that someone was working on a plug and play component cable, but I can't remember from whom. Even a dongle for the Wii cable would be preferable as I don't need the OSD menu that the GCHD provides, I just want plug a plu and play option for my cube.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

GojiFan90 wrote:Sorry for the double post. Is there (or will there be) an analog component cable for the Gamecube? I have the original GCHD and I am considering upgrading to the MK II simply for the option of using my Wii component cables. I seem to recall that someone was working on a plug and play component cable, but I can't remember from whom. Even a dongle for the Wii cable would be preferable as I don't need the OSD menu that the GCHD provides, I just want plug a plu and play option for my cube.
there's the OEM nintendo one which costs upwards of $175

insurrection industries also has one in development
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

maxtherabbit wrote:
GojiFan90 wrote:Sorry for the double post. Is there (or will there be) an analog component cable for the Gamecube? I have the original GCHD and I am considering upgrading to the MK II simply for the option of using my Wii component cables. I seem to recall that someone was working on a plug and play component cable, but I can't remember from whom. Even a dongle for the Wii cable would be preferable as I don't need the OSD menu that the GCHD provides, I just want plug a plu and play option for my cube.

The insurrection one is what I was thinking of, thanks again. Do they have an ETA/price estimate for it yet?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

GojiFan90 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

The insurrection one is what I was thinking of, thanks again. Do they have an ETA/price estimate for it yet?
they said "under $100" and mentioned it should be priced similarly to the hdmi one they sell ($75)

eta idk
strayan

Post by strayan »

Does anyone know what the dYUV (direct component) option does in the gcvideo settings?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It bypasses blanking regeneration, useful for video modes GCVideo-DVI has no knowledge of.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:It bypasses blanking regeneration, useful for video modes GCVideo-DVI has no knowledge of.
Thanks. I ask because got some weird issues going on with a plasma TV I bought connected with a hdmi to DVI adapter. My PAL cube connects perfectly (boots PAL and NTSC games with freeloader no issue) but my NTSC cube doesn't display correctly (picture is shifted too far to the right). Haven't been able to figure out what's going on yet.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Have you checked the screen position in the system settings?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Sadly 960i does not seem to work on my multisync monitor, which displays it as a rolling 480p image.

It also looks like the Key Wii SD memory adapter I got is not very good. Kirby's Airride stutters a lot when run from it. It also seems to be picky about SD cards and fragmentation.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

That's not the fault of the adapter. Enable alternate read patches in the advanced settings.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I'm pretty sure I did enable that setting. I also tried the AVE-RVL compatibility setting.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Lawfer wrote:
Unseen wrote:
Lawfer wrote:Thanks, do you have any idea on the change(s) that 2.5 will be bringing?
One of the original plans was to autodetect Smash based on a checksum of the title screen and turn on a special a high-latency mode when it is detected. I'm not sure if that feature will fit though.
Thank you, so no fixes for the chroma issue thing then?
Where did I say anything about fixing or not fixing the chroma issue in my post?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Hoping the fix does make it into the next update! It's pretty sad to see the issue every time on the system menu (and GX loader) on a Wii running the custom GCVideo FW.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Unseen wrote:Where did I say anything about fixing or not fixing the chroma issue in my post?
Nowhere, that's why I am asking...
GojiFan90

Post by GojiFan90 »

Does anyone have a recommended audio cable for use in conjunction with the GC component cables (preferably shielded)? Or are the Nintendo composite cables "good enough" for audio?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

If you're really concerned, strip off the video line. Audio cables are pretty much audio cables.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Can anyone explain why I get combing artifacts when displaying interlaced content using ultrahdmi and yet I don't get combing artifacts when outputting interlaced signals with gcvideo? Is it because ultrahdmi is always displaying interlaced content in progressive scan? Or is it because ultrahdmi uses weave deinterlacing and gcvideo does not?
Extrems wrote:Have you checked the screen position in the system settings?
I can't change screen position when using the DVI input. gcvideo is the only signal that is shifted to the right (and only when using an NTSC cube). 480p from all other sources displays correctly. At a loss here.
strayan

Post by strayan »

strayan wrote:I can't change screen position when using the DVI input. gcvideo is the only signal that is shifted to the right (and only when using an NTSC cube). 480p from all other sources displays correctly. At a loss here.
OMFG there are screen position settings on the gamecube that I totally forgot about. Problem almost completely resolved (I'm still out by about 4-10pixels).

As I wait for my Action Replay to arrive and install swiss can anyone else tell me whether swiss enables finer control over screen position?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

strayan wrote:Can anyone explain why I get combing artifacts when displaying interlaced content using ultrahdmi and yet I don't get combing artifacts when outputting interlaced signals with gcvideo?
Did you enable linedoubling in GCVideo? If you did not, the output is a "true" interlaced signal and the TV or scaler on the other end is deinterlacing it.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Unseen wrote: Did you enable linedoubling in GCVideo? If you did not, the output is a "true" interlaced signal and the TV or scaler on the other end is deinterlacing it.
Cheers. Very frustrating. I wish gcvideo handled interlaced content like ultrahdmi by default.
strayan

Post by strayan »

strayan wrote:Problem almost completely resolved (I'm still out by about 4-10pixels).

As I wait for my Action Replay to arrive and install swiss can anyone else tell me whether swiss enables finer control over screen position?
Have counted more closely and almost certain it's shifted right by exactly 4 pixels.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It is shifted left by 4 pixels. I've mentioned this before.