Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BuckoA51

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by BuckoA51 »

I /may/ have found a way that I can get these built and assembled in the UK, for those of you who are interested. I'm testing the supplier with a run on a simpler board first before moving onto anything this complex.

I was just wondering, would it be possible to get a 3D printer and make a copy of the old Nintendo proprietary digital AV connectors? If so, that would mean the boards could be produced as a direct replacement to the existing component cable.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

BuckoA51 wrote: I was just wondering, would it be possible to get a 3D printer and make a copy of the old Nintendo proprietary digital AV connectors? If so, that would mean the boards could be produced as a direct replacement to the existing component cable.

Probably. I think you need different 3d printers for metal and plastic though. I don't know a lot about them, it's just the component cable connector is a lot simpler than other things I've seen come out of a 3d printer.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Might need to think through the installation a bit more then. I figure the FPGA board I'll get will need to be external, so I just want some sort of connector that's soldered to the port on one end and a plug-in connector on the other end (plus jumper cables + pin headers on the board).
Do you think an IDE cable might not be suitable for this then, or is there a simpler solution I haven't thought of?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Probably. I think you need different 3d printers for metal and plastic though. I don't know a lot about them, it's just the component cable connector is a lot simpler than other things I've seen come out of a 3d printer.
I was thinking if someone with some CAD experience and a 3D printer could print a prototype of the connector (without the actual solder points/connections) It would then be possible to send this custom design to a company that made custom cables for manufacture. However, I've not really any idea of the costs involved in this or if said company would have a minimum order policy ( e.g "1000 production run or gtfo").

It would then just be a matter of connecting this cable to the board and getting some kind of enclosure for it.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

It is possible to have reproduction male connectors made, but as you said, it would be a large minimum order type part. You wouldn't need a 3d printer to prototype though, just the CAD models.

If you look at the people making new cables for the SNES or PSX they're ordering parts from supply houses that already had them in stock for generic 3rd party cables. No such supply exists for the digital out on a GCN.

I still think the simpler solution is to build a component cable into the standard multi-out since the RGB lines aren't used anyway and since multi-out male connectors are plentiful.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I was thinking 3D printer so it could be verified that the connector actually fit, wouldn't want to order hundreds only to find they were a millimetre too big or something.

I've never really done anything like this anyway so just speculating I suppose.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

BuckoA51 wrote:I /may/ have found a way that I can get these built and assembled in the UK, for those of you who are interested. I'm testing the supplier with a run on a simpler board first before moving onto anything this complex.

I was just wondering, would it be possible to get a 3D printer and make a copy of the old Nintendo proprietary digital AV connectors? If so, that would mean the boards could be produced as a direct replacement to the existing component cable.
If this is happening I'm definitely interesting.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I'm not sure there's much demand for the board as it is though, with it being so fiddly to fit.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

My bad, I thought you meant assembled as in the complete package. :(
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Yeah the complete package would be fantastic, if the opportunity ever presents itself I'd definitely have that made up.
XC-3730C
Banned User

Post by XC-3730C »

Hopefully if a cloned GC component cable is made, we could also use a SNES to GC adapter like these:

http://retrorgb.com/wiiadapter.html

The Hori Gamecube controller is also overpriced. I'd rather use my own pad for the Gameboy player like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-SNES-Hig ... B001OE8CSS
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

XC-3730C wrote:Hopefully if a cloned GC component cable is made, we could also use a SNES to GC adapter like these:

The Hori Gamecube controller is also overpriced. I'd rather use my own pad for the Gameboy player like this one:

I hope you're aware that the video output won't affect anything with controller inputs whatsoever. You can buy one of those adapters right now and use it regardless of what video output you have.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
XC-3730C
Banned User

Post by XC-3730C »

bobrocks95 wrote:
XC-3730C wrote:Hopefully if a cloned GC component cable is made, we could also use a SNES to GC adapter like these:

I hope you're aware that the video output won't affect anything with controller inputs whatsoever. You can buy one of those adapters right now and use it regardless of what video output you have.
What i meant to say was, if the component video cable is cloned, I would use a SNES pad instead of a Hori pad. Both the official component cable and Hori pad are overpriced.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Ahh, sort of a duality thing, gotcha.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

XC-3730C wrote: What i meant to say was, if the component video cable is cloned, I would use a SNES pad instead of a Hori pad. Both the official component cable and Hori pad are overpriced.
I've been using these adapters for my GC, and they're awesome. Very low lag, cheap, and Rapheal's service is top notch.
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/sn ... /index.php

He's got a few other adapter gems that I've been enjoying as well, like the SNES to PSX adapter (really great Castlevania SOTN, and the PSX Megaman games).
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

The DVI version is now in the repository. I still feel as if I forgot something important in the README there, but I'll just wait for the hate mail to see what it is. ;)
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Tempted to post a praise the sun image here as well.
The_Atomik_Punk!

Post by The_Atomik_Punk! »

so.... is anyone looking to get these cables manufactured yet? I'm dying over here to get a Gamecube component cable that doesn't cost me an outlandish $250+.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Disregard what I said here, 3D printing is really cool and you might have a version you can just plug in at some point. For now if you're fine with soldering you can order an FPGA dev kit and wire it up yourself for much less than $250
HauntedHat

Post by HauntedHat »

I'm a product designer, with a few years worth of experience in 3D modelling, and I think I can help to clear out a few mysteries around mass production.

If you really want to get serious about mass manufacturing this cable, 3D printing is very VERY far away from the solution. 3D printing for the masses sounds cool, but the technology involved it's still very much in its infancy, and even with very high end ones, you'd be looking at a ridiculously frail, weird-textured plastic piece. We have access to some very expensive, professional grade printers (300k+) and even the pieces that come out of those machines require some work afterwards, which is why we use them primarily for prototyping, and to evaluate the dimensions, and shape of a product in development. In this regard, BuckoA51 has the right idea, it might be worth it to see if it fits, if it works, etc.

Now, let me explain, in order to 3D print something, you need to have a 3D model which instead could be used to make a real, plastic injection mold. As for the metal pieces, they all look like some sort of bent metal laminates, so I highly doubt the price of printing something relatively simple as this, is worth it for making it in huge quantities.

What I'm trying to say here, is that there if you're making one for yourself sure, go ahead. but there are many options that could be made for much cheaper if you're trying to mass produce this cable. Like 10 cents vs 25 dollars worth of plastic.

In any case, if you ever need advice, please don't hesitate to ask.
P1kas

Post by P1kas »

Hey, a couple of you guys have mentioned that people can wire these up themselves. I can solder electronics, but don't really know how to interpret the github info to figure out how to build it.

Are there any resources for me to learn and understand the blueprints to make one myself?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

P1kas wrote:Hey, a couple of you guys have mentioned that people can wire these up themselves. I can solder electronics, but don't really know how to interpret the github info to figure out how to build it.
Which one, the analog version (GCVideo Lite) or the DVI version (GCVideo DVI)?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

P1kas wrote:Hey, a couple of you guys have mentioned that people can wire these up themselves. I can solder electronics, but don't really know how to interpret the github info to figure out how to build it.

Are there any resources for me to learn and understand the blueprints to make one myself?
I'm not even this gifted. Are there any resources to buy a pile of pieces that I can then solder and install?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Einzelherz wrote:I'm not even this gifted. Are there any resources to buy a pile of pieces that I can then solder and install?
For the analog version: This PCB (Warning: You'll always get a multiple of three) and the parts from this list which includes Digikey part numbers - although IIRC everything should also be available at Mouser. To program the FPGA you need a programmer suitable for Lattice chips, I use a cheap chinese clone on the original Lattice programmer which is available on eBay. I'm really sorry, but I still haven't updated the board to be easier to hand-solder - with the current layout it's a bit annoying until you get the hang of it.

For the DVI version: Item#6112 (Pluto-IIx XC3S200 HDMI) from this store page and one of the adapters from this page in the same store - for modern PCs Item#6160 (TXDI/FTDI) is the easiest option, if you have an actual RS232 port available the others should also work. Instead of the TXDI adapter you could also use any other Xilinx-compatible JTAG programmer, but with the KNJN software it's easier to program the flash memory than with Xilinx' own Impact tool. Additionally, you will probably want a single 100 ohm resistor (anything below 500 ohm will probably work), for example this one. Some displays accept the signal from the FPGA board without it, others keep showing "No Signal" - IMHO an annoying design oversight by KNJN.
P1kas

Post by P1kas »

I'd be most interested in the DVI version. Audio can come from the GC's analog output, correct?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

P1kas wrote:Audio can come from the GC's analog output, correct?
Yes

DVI should be the easiest version to "build" since it's based on an existing, already-assembled FPGA board. There is a diagram in the repository that gives an overview over the required connections and the README.md has a table with all the required connections - my attempt to add all the details in the image resulted in a very busy and hard-to-read picture.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

The EDTV I expected to use with this that I just bought turned out to be complete garbage, so my plans are on hold for this :(

Hopefully by the time I find another one (judging by how long it took for this one, that'll be another 6 months...) there'll be manufactured boards I can get a bit cheaper.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I'd forget worn out EDTVs entirely. If money was no object we'd all be sitting on the new Sony HD sets. Those should do right by the GameCube.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

CRT computer monitors actually work really well for Gamecube era stuff. Using a Dell Trinitron P991 right now, and Panzer Dragoon Orta looks pretty great.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I'd forget worn out EDTVs entirely. If money was no object we'd all be sitting on the new Sony HD sets. Those should do right by the GameCube.
I've either never used a television that can upscale 480p well (and generally people seem to say 480p is fine on all their TV's, so I get the feeling that's not it), or I just don't like how it looks. I want it big, and I want it sharp, and the EDTV I currently have has served me well. Maybe I'm just picky, but I figured on these forums of all places, people might understand my personal preference :P