Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Unseen

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Unseen »

chriz2600 wrote:I wouldn't call it a bug. As far as I understand, it is that the original component cable handles the chroma upsampling by simply duplicating the stored U and V values.
Yuck. I would've expected something better from Nintendo, especially since it does not require much logic to implement. Does the chip at least realign Cb and Cr to change at the same Y pixel or does it just blast out values as they become available?

(current state of GCVideo 2.5: Writing UI code is booooring)
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

It does look like the component cable interpolates chroma.

Here is a capture with the OSSC. One 240p test pixel is two gamecube pixels and when chroma changes the 2 following pixels are the same color.
chriz2600

Post by chriz2600 »

Citrus3000psi sent me an image from this post by FBX as an example for the difference.
Neither do I own a original gamecube cable nor do I have a gamecube with an gcvideo based mod on hand at the moment. As a result I don't know how the original component cable does the chroma upsampling.
I just thought it would be interesting and fun to experiment with various chroma upsampling methods :)
FBX

Post by FBX »

chriz2600 wrote:Citrus3000psi sent me an image from this post by FBX as an example for the difference.
Since that original image, Extrems has come out with new versions of his interface that re-align the chroma even for component cables. This is a newer image based on that work he did, and keep in mind it's still just using official component into the OSSC:

Notice the chroma is now perfectly aligned.

-FBX
Last edited by FBX on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

So what's the verdict with the Nintendo GameCube Component Cables? Are they outclassed by the analog and digital signals from GCDual for CRTs?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

paulb_nl wrote:It does look like the component cable interpolates chroma.

Here is a capture with the OSSC. One 240p test pixel is two gamecube pixels and when chroma changes the 2 following pixels are the same color.
That's from the GPU, not the cable. The GPU is doing what's specified in ITU-R BT.601. GCVideo has the interpolation backwards from ITU-R BT.601.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

GeneraLight wrote:So what's the verdict with the Nintendo GameCube Component Cables? Are they outclassed by the analog and digital signals from GCDual for CRTs?
I'd be interested to know this too. As for as I can gather, Wiidual analogue is destined to surpass the Wii component cables, visibly better even on a CRT - but is this true with the Gamecube? I have a feeling any improvement might not be noticeable on a CRT as it would be subtle but it'd be useful to know..
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

andykara2003 wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:So what's the verdict with the Nintendo GameCube Component Cables? Are they outclassed by the analog and digital signals from GCDual for CRTs?
I'd be interested to know this too. As for as I can gather, Wiidual analogue is destined to surpass the Wii component cables, visibly better even on a CRT - but is this true with the Gamecube? I have a feeling any improvement might not be noticeable on a CRT as it would be subtle but it'd be useful to know..
Right. The thing with WiiDual though is that you can keep using the Wii Component Cables and there will still be a big leap in image quality thanks to the major improvement of the internal analog signal.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

That is the goal to get this fixed, so the GCDual analog matches the Component cables 100%
FriendofSonic

Post by FriendofSonic »

Is this update going to be hardware based? If so, whoops for not waiting lol
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

FriendofSonic wrote:Is this update going to be hardware based? If so, whoops for not waiting lol
No, firmware. I'll post instructions on how to update. The SPI flasher is cheap. I'll also offer to preform updates for a fair/cheap price that don't want to tear down there cube.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:GCVideo has the interpolation backwards from ITU-R BT.601.
Would it kill you to provide more details so the problem (if it exists) can be fixed?
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

Will there be any firmware updates to GCMax or GCPlug?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

pyroman512 wrote:Will there be any firmware updates to GCMax or GCPlug?
If any updates are applicable then yes I will compile a binaries for them.
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

citrus3000psi wrote:
pyroman512 wrote:Will there be any firmware updates to GCMax or GCPlug?
If any updates are applicable then yes I will compile a binaries for them.
Ahh so 2.5 changes may not affect those?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Alright, I've actually sat down and taken a deep hard look into this.

The following is based on the GPU's RGB to YCbCr conversion, and does not represent GBIHF.
I only have the official component cables, so the rest is based on others' captures.

This is what CMPV-DOL and AVE P-DOL do:

This is what GCVideo Lite does:

This is what GCVideo DVI is supposed to be doing, which is fine:

This is what we see on the EON GCHD instead:

Cb is ahead for the green path of the YCbCr to RGB conversion, which is a total mindfuck to me.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:Alright, I've actually sat down and taken a deep hard look into this.
Thanks!
Cb is ahead for the green path of the YCbCr to RGB conversion, which is a total mindfuck to me.
It's not so much of a mindfuck if you know how it is implemented - a multi-stage pipeline doing one conversion step at a time to reduce the complexity of the generated logic. I forgot to add a buffer in one stage for Cb though, so the green channel is calculated using then Cb value of the following pixel. GCVideo lite is note affected as it uses a different implementation that does not require hardware multipliers.

It'll be fixed in 2.5 where the YCbCr-to-RGB conversion has been rewritten to use higher-precision intermediate values and allow more flexibility in the selection of coefficients (not a full 3x3 matrix though because that didn't fit into the chip).
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Will you also match the output of the component cables? The component cable capture is the only one with nice sharp chroma.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

paulb_nl wrote:Will you also match the output of the component cables? The component cable capture is the only one with nice sharp chroma.
Assuming that this is just due to missing color interpolation in the component cables, yes - it will be switchable. Personally the interpolated version looks better to me for non-pixelart content though.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Unseen wrote: Personally the interpolated version looks better to me for non-pixelart content though.
I'm on the other side. I don't want anything other than nearest neighbor interpolation no matter what the resolution and game type. It's only in video like movies that I like other forms of filtering.
Last edited by FBX on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It's technically wrong to not interpolate when faced with the GPU's RGB to YCbCr conversion.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

citrus3000psi wrote:
FriendofSonic wrote:Is this update going to be hardware based? If so, whoops for not waiting lol
No, firmware. I'll post instructions on how to update. The SPI flasher is cheap. I'll also offer to preform updates for a fair/cheap price that don't want to tear down there cube.
Am I understanding correctly that updating firmware requires a special flasher and disassembly of the GameCube? Can't just pop in a disc and flash it?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

None of the GCVideo solutions have given the ability for the console to reflash them.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Extrems wrote:None of the GCVideo solutions have given the ability for the console to reflash them.
Ok thanks Extrems. I’ll await Citrus’ instructions/upgrade service then
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

cant you run a wire to outside the console like in the expansion port bay where you can update it from the outside, or does the connection need to be short?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Does anyone know the value of the resistor R9 you remove from a PAL GC during a GCDual install? I am trying to restore a GC to stock, I kept most of the components I removed but this thing is tiny.. I swear it just evaporated into thin air.

https://m.imgur.com/MIEpakd
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Kez wrote:Does anyone know the value of the resistor R9 you remove from a PAL GC during a GCDual install? I am trying to restore a GC to stock, I kept most of the components I removed but this thing is tiny.. I swear it just evaporated into thin air.

https://m.imgur.com/MIEpakd
I have my pal motherboard somewhere. I’ll find out the value for you.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

mvsfan wrote:cant you run a wire to outside the console like in the expansion port bay where you can update it from the outside, or does the connection need to be short?
You can, but probably overkill. I wouldn’t expect an update after this new incoming release.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I wouldn't be so sure.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Extrems wrote:I wouldn't be so sure.
Clearly it’s possible more updates could happen. But they will be probably be few and far between (that’s assuming there will be some) and I don’t think it warrants a update cable hanging out the console .