Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thebigcheese

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by thebigcheese »

Kez wrote:This seems quite strange to me honestly, I don't recall being in a situation where loading GBI outputs a black screen but the GCVideo OSD still loads.

Have you verified that you can still load GBI using RGBs? Perhaps your Game Boy Player is not seated correctly?
Good point. I'll give that a go later today. It's screwed in, so I don't know how it could not be seated correctly, but I could also have messed something up when I put it back together. I do know it was working before I took everything apart to update the GCDual.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

I was thinking of trying my hand at making a GCDual and was wondering if anybody could tell me the recommended PCB thickness for those oshpark files.

I'm guessing I use:

GCDual 5.3 - 2oz Copper, 0.8mm substrate
GCDual Main QSB - Default (1.6mm substrate)
HDMI Extension - Default (1.6mm substrate)

Thanks.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Gunstar wrote:I was thinking of trying my hand at making a GCDual and was wondering if anybody could tell me the recommended PCB thickness for those oshpark files.

I'm guessing I use:

GCDual 5.3 - 2oz Copper, 0.8mm substrate
GCDual Main QSB - Default (1.6mm substrate)
HDMI Extension - Default (1.6mm substrate)

Thanks.
The Main QSB really needs to be 2mm thick. At 1.6mm the main fpga board will make contact with the AVE chip and lay at a slight angle.

Everything else if fine.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

citrus3000psi wrote: The Main QSB really needs to be 2mm thick. At 1.6mm the main fpga board will make contact with the AVE chip and lay at a slight angle.

Everything else if fine.
Perfect, thank you for the info.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Okay. I can't launch Swiss, either. I've now tried via HDMI and RGBs, no luck with either. Maybe my SD card somehow went bad? I literally tested this right before I upgraded the GCDual, though, so it's crazy to me that it should suddenly not be working.

Edit: Nope. Tried a different memory card, same thing. No signal. I give up. Clearly I am not meant to play Game Boy on the TV anymore. Also, is there not a volume option in GCVideo anymore? It is crazy loud compared to everything else.

Also, I notice that with the OSSC set to auto input detect, it's having a really hard time detecting the GC for some reason. Other consoles boot up no problem, but RGBs from the GC (through a gscartsw_lite) is really hit or miss. Yet I have no issues playing over HDMI. I don't believe anything went wrong when upgrading to 2.4b, but that's when all the issues started...
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I asked this in another thread, but I thought I'd ask it here too.

I noticed that white levels aren't as white with the GCVideo/GCDual analog solution as they are with the Official GameCube Component Cables. Things that should be pure white aren't with the new analog output, as the picture displayed by GCVideo analog looks slightly darker than the Official GameCube Component Cables. Is this intentional or a bug that can be fixed? How does the GCVideo/GCDual fix the color bleeding and chroma issues? Can the official GameCube component cables fix the color bleeding and chroma as well when coupled with a GCVideo/Dual mod?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

For chroma upsampling, GCVideo does a linear interpolation while AVE P-DOL (RGBcvS) and CMPV-DOL (YPbPr/RGBHV) do a zero-order hold.

The latter can't normally be observed when using YPbPr, but is preferable for GBIHF when it can be.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

GeneraLight wrote:Things that should be pure white aren't with the new analog output, as the picture displayed by GCVideo analog looks slightly darker than the Official GameCube Component Cables. Is this intentional or a bug that can be fixed?
It's a bug. Blame citrus for not testing enough! ;)

(randomly figured out the cause of it this morning while writing a mail)
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

GeneraLight wrote:I asked this in another thread, but I thought I'd ask it here too.

I noticed that white levels aren't as white with the GCVideo/GCDual analog solution as they are with the Official GameCube Component Cables. Things that should be pure white aren't with the new analog output, as the picture displayed by GCVideo analog looks slightly darker than the Official GameCube Component Cables. Is this intentional or a bug that can be fixed? How does the GCVideo/GCDual fix the color bleeding and chroma issues? Can the official GameCube component cables fix the color bleeding and chroma as well when coupled with a GCVideo/Dual mod?
I have firmware that will fix this. Just have not released it yet. But will very soon.
pyroman512

Post by pyroman512 »

citrus3000psi wrote: I have firmware that will fix this. Just have not released it yet. But will very soon.

Hey citrus, my apologies if I this has already been answered... Are you planning to release any firmware updates to the GC Plug or is that project obsolete?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

pyroman512 wrote:
citrus3000psi wrote: I have firmware that will fix this. Just have not released it yet. But will very soon.

Hey citrus, my apologies if I this has already been answered... Are you planning to release any firmware updates to the GC Plug or is that project obsolete?

I posted them on discord. Sorry for not relaying them here, this is 2.4c for the GCPlug. The GCPlug constraints file is on my fork of gc-video. So anybody that wants to compile it on there own, its there.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... _flash.bin
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:The latter can't normally be observed when using YPbPr, but is preferable for GBIHF when it can be.
Does GBIHF use the same luma value for both pixels of the color group? If so, selecting between interpolation and hold based on the two luma values would work without requiring yet another user option in GCVideo.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

There originally was options to interpolate the left or right luma sample so that they'd align with the interpolated chroma, but they were thrown out when it was confirmed what AVE P-DOL and CMPV-DOL did, and the added complexity wasn't worth it.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Can anyone recommend an external HDMI capture device (usb3 or thunderbolt) for PC/Mac and capping Gamecube 480p/576p?? Are there any with latency low enough that makes gaming on your monitor feasible?

My eon mk 2 has arrived and I want to try this app out https://store.steampowered.com/app/9930 ... ng/?beta=0 in conjunction with my cubes on a 1440p or 5k monitor.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Swiss r547+ can now selectively disable dithering for blending operations, which amplified the ordered noise to unpleasant levels.

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

That's looking pretty now :)
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:Reading this issue, it finally clicked to me.

When the image position is odd, chroma should be shifted right to compensate.
Nah, too much work. Rewriting the 422-444 interpolator to correctly handle both Cb-first and Cr-first pixel groups is actually easier. Will be fixed in 2.5.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

Extrems wrote:Swiss r547+ can now selectively disable dithering for blending operations, which amplified the ordered noise to unpleasant levels.

Whoa, this looks great!
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:Swiss could disable the horizontal scaling and/or dithering. I'll get around to it someday.

I'll just leave this here:
Does the zoom feature in datapath vision add any latency? I’m assuming you’re capping from a gamecube with gcvideo right?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

strayan wrote:Does the zoom feature in datapath vision add any latency? I’m assuming you’re capping from a gamecube with gcvideo right?
Er, that's GBI's zoom. And that's the original component video cable.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:
strayan wrote:Does the zoom feature in datapath vision add any latency? I’m assuming you’re capping from a gamecube with gcvideo right?
Er, that's GBI's zoom. And that's the original component video cable.
Oh, woops, looks like gbi has supported 720 for sometime!

Does the capture device you’re using add any latency?
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is there a way to get 480i to my PVM via component while I get 480p from the HDMI for capture purposes?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

SavagePencil wrote:Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is there a way to get 480i to my PVM via component while I get 480p from the HDMI for capture purposes?
I don't think this is possible. I think your best bet is to output 480i to favor the PVM, and then have your capture software perform deinterlacing. A stream/capture doesn't need to be lag-free and can be processed with fairly good deinterlacing algorithms, and I would expect better results from this than sending 480p to your capture device and having to put a downscaler between the console and your PVM.
Mantis128

Post by Mantis128 »

Do the HDMI/component adaptors for the GCN still have that problem of killing your console if you bump them?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Mantis128 wrote:Do the HDMI/component adaptors for the GCN still have that problem of killing your console if you bump them?
I believe the only affected adapters were the ones with the PCB-sandwich design made by zeldaxpro, and that his last iteration is not affected, but the damage had already been done.

From what I've read, adapters like those from EON and Insurrection Industries are safe and sturdy, and Insurrection Industries uses their own connectors that are very close reproductions of those used on the official component and D-Terminal cables.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I don't suppose anyone's done any testing of the component output of WiiDual on a reasonably good CRT? I'd be really interested to know the difference in sharpness vs stock output, whether it matches the whites and other areas of PQ vs stock.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

I got excited and ordered a Carby v2 yesterday (the build quality and authentic connector won me), but as the dust has settled I realized I might have fucked up going with an HDMI-only solution. I really want to use GBI.

What results can I expect with GBI going directly into my TV over HDMI? Can I use the HDMI inputs on my Framemeister in any meaningful way? Am I really missing out not using an OSSC if I’m serious about GBI?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

PixelDharma wrote:I got excited and ordered a Carby v2 yesterday (the build quality and authentic connector won me), but as the dust has settled I realized I might have fucked up going with an HDMI-only solution. I really want to use GBI.

What results can I expect with GBI going directly into my TV over HDMI? Can I use the HDMI inputs on my Framemeister in any meaningful way? Am I really missing out not using an OSSC if I’m serious about GBI?
You will technically get the best results using RGBs over SCART into an OSSC since you can use the HD60 modes (at least, that is my understanding), but you can fiddle with GBI settings to get just the scaling you want and still get really nice results. The main thing is that you'll only get 480p output over HDMI whereas through an OSSC you can go up higher for potentially cleaner scaling (depending on your TV).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

thebigcheese wrote:
PixelDharma wrote:I got excited and ordered a Carby v2 yesterday (the build quality and authentic connector won me), but as the dust has settled I realized I might have fucked up going with an HDMI-only solution. I really want to use GBI.

You will technically get the best results using RGBs over SCART into an OSSC since you can use the HD60 modes (at least, that is my understanding), but you can fiddle with GBI settings to get just the scaling you want and still get really nice results. The main thing is that you'll only get 480p output over HDMI whereas through an OSSC you can go up higher for potentially cleaner scaling (depending on your TV).
Shouldn't he be able to use the Framemeister to scale whatever output he can get from the Carby to 1080p with about a frame of lag?

Separately, while I know the current limitation is 480p, would the GCVideo hardware be capable of similar output to the DCHDMI--960p or 960p windowboxed to 1080p?
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

thebigcheese wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds like I might want to consider an Eon MK II paired with a PAL Wii RGB cable.

I’ll see if I’m happy with my Carby first. It is clearly the better build quality of the two devices. Seems like EON might want to consider making a MK III using Insurrection’s connector.