Cloning the Gamecube component cable

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Lawfer »

bobrocks95 wrote:
andykara2003 wrote:Just an additional thought, your tests of GCVideo lite are using the Gamecube right? The Wii has worse component quality than the Gamecube - but does the Wii's lower quality originate in the process that converts the digital signal to analogue (component)? I don't know much about it, but I would imagine that this might be true (is there any other part of the signal chain that might explain this lower quality output?)

So my point is, GCvideo lite for Gamecube is not an improved analogue solution because the official component cable already has great digital-to-analogue conversion. But if the stock Wii has a worse digital-to-analogue conversion process for component, might it not be possible that in this case GCvideo lite component or VGA for Wii would produce significantly better image quality than stock component as it's conversion process is on par with that of the Gamecube?
viewtopic.php?p=1254152#p1254152

I forget if the difference was down to the DAC in the console or not though.
If I remember correctly, it is due to the Wii Video Chip itself (the ATI one), that's why even if you take the video directly from the digital output itself the resulting picture still isn't so great compared to other consoles.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It's down to the DAC (AVE-RVL). Also, notice 480i doesn't have the analog bandwidth limiting problem.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Thanks Extrems, judging from your past posts it looks like you'd be the one to know. So that would confirm it - considering how much blurrier that 480p Wii screenshot is than the Gamecube equivalent, when i comes out, GCVideo lite for the Wii should be a nice upgrade for those using 480p with CRTs. I guess the lite's VGA output should be the same clarity as it's component?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

andykara2003 wrote:So my point is, GCvideo lite for Gamecube is not an improved analogue solution because the official component cable already has great digital-to-analogue conversion.
In my case, the GCVideo (lite or otherwise) would be an improved analogue solution because it's significantly cheaper and more accessible and available than the official component cable. :)
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Of course :) I just meant on a technical level.
leonk

Post by leonk »

much like svideo; the days of TVs and AVRs having component input are numbered. In the future, only analog port to survive would probably be composite.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I dont really understand that. I mean, if your going to pay 2500+ for an Lg Oled, it should have some inputs besides hdmi. it should be included for that price.

but thats not the way everyone is going. before long tvs will all be hdmi only.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

mvsfan wrote:I dont really understand that. I mean, if your going to pay 2500+ for an Lg Oled, it should have some inputs besides hdmi. it should be included for that price.

but thats not the way everyone is going. before long tvs will all be hdmi only.
This is already happening, because almost all modern electronics are HDMI-only; the world is moving on, so we better get started with retrofitting all the things with HDMI!
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Or stockpiling CRTs..
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

the problem is CRTS are getting old. even if it sits in storage another 10 years, Its still going to need service.

Not to mention the main fault with sony crts.

theres 2 ics inside that start going bad after a while. then it takes a bunch of blinks of the light before it will turn on.

My sony wega needs both of these things done already. the picture is shrinking. (bad caps i think), and it takes at least 11 blinks before it turns on so i need to replace those ics.

I just keep putting off moving the thing out of my tv cabinet so i can pull the boards. I dont want to that shit is heavy.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I would disagree solely for the fact that component can still carry HD signals so until 720p and 1080i go the way of SD I think it'll still be somewhat available. And the cost to have composite only (for universal capabilities) vs a combo board are very negligible.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Einzelherz wrote:I would disagree solely for the fact that component can still carry HD signals so until 720p and 1080i go the way of SD I think it'll still be somewhat available. And the cost to have composite only (for universal capabilities) vs a combo board are very negligible.
Wow .. 720p / 1080i .. that's soooo 2004 of you.

Most TV's sold today are 4K. How well does component support 4K?? I'm not happy component is going away .. but most people are not enthusiasts like us. They like the simplicity of 1 cheap cable that just works. TV manufacturers care about "thin as possible", "Cheap as possible" and "4K". Component doesn't help in any of these targets.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

When most cable and all broadcast signals fit over component in the year of our lord two thousand eighteen I don't care what the TVs are capable of.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Einzelherz wrote:I would disagree solely for the fact that component can still carry HD signals so until 720p and 1080i go the way of SD I think it'll still be somewhat available.
It can also do 1080p, though not all displays accept 1080p though component.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Einzelherz wrote:When most cable and all broadcast signals fit over component in the year of our lord two thousand eighteen I don't care what the TVs are capable of.
keep on living in a delusional world where component has any hope of survival. I'm sure praying to Jebus every night might make it so. :)
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I suppose if you have a decent transcoder you'll never have to worry.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Is broadcast television still getting the numbers to drive innovation these days? I think a significant portion have moved on to streaming services.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

bobrocks95 wrote:Is broadcast television still getting the numbers to drive innovation these days? I think a significant portion have moved on to streaming services.
I have no idea, anyway don't tell the japanese.. :)

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3127181 ... sting.html
https://www.redsharknews.com/production ... one-at-ibc
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

I wonder - would 8K even be detectable vs 4K on a 55 inch screen from say 6ft?
leonk

Post by leonk »

andykara2003 wrote:I wonder - would 8K even be detectable vs 4K on a 55 inch screen from say 6ft?
Since when did consumers purchase anything based on logic vs numbers? Anyone remember the megapixel race of digital cameras from a decade ago?
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

So what’s going on with these projects, I can’t seem to follow this goddamn thread anymore since it went off into so many tangents...
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

andykara2003 wrote:I wonder - would 8K even be detectable vs 4K on a 55 inch screen from say 6ft?
No. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-si ... lationship
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

ApolloBoy wrote:So what’s going on with these projects, I can’t seem to follow this goddamn thread anymore since it went off into so many tangents...
Lol exactly my feelings
leonk

Post by leonk »

truth is the most up-to date info is posted on twitter. So much easier to snap a picture and post now that photobucket screwed us all.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

ApolloBoy wrote:So what’s going on with these projects, I can’t seem to follow this goddamn thread anymore since it went off into so many tangents...
Here is my info:

GCPlug (HDMI Plug N Play Solution) - Done - Files Posted
GCMax (Analog/HDMI Plug N Solution) - Done, need to do a write up as the install is not self explanatory. On this you can not use both HDMI and analog at the same time, as the cables conflict.
GCHDMI (Internal HDMI only Solotuon) - Done - Files Posted
GCDual - Done - Selling self install and installation servies - After kits get going I will release files. I plan to start contacing people next week to get kits going (if all goes to plan)

WiiHDMI - Design scrapped as the WiiDual will work in its place. If you don't want dual, then some components can be omitted to lower the cost.
WiiDual - More testing needs to be done. - Might change design for the billionth time as I'd like it to be able to output RGB and HDMI simultaneously. The current HDMI location doesn't allow this.

Once the Gamecube is done I plan to work on Wii as my main project.
During downtime, I've been working on a 3DO RGB mod, SNES Dejitter RGB Bypass, Colecovison RGB, SDI Mod for Nuon Player.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

citrus3000psi wrote:WiiDual - More testing needs to be done. - Might change design for the billionth time as I'd like it to be able to output RGB and HDMI simultaneously. The current HDMI location doesn't allow this.
Is this related to the reason why Analogue could only do either RGB or HDMI on the Analogue Nt, but not both?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Lawfer wrote: Is this related to the reason why Analogue could only do either RGB or HDMI on the Analogue Nt, but not both?
Pretty sure it was hardware design, like how NESRGB and HiDef Nes won't work together.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Apologies if I sound ignorant, but shouldn't GCDual/WiiDual be called GCTrio/WiiTrio? From my understanding, you can output three major signals: digital HDMI, analog RGB and analog YPbPr.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

GeneraLight wrote:Apologies if I sound ignorant, but shouldn't GCDual/WiiDual be called GCTrio/WiiTrio? From my understanding, you can output three major signals: digital HDMI, analog RGB and analog YPbPr.
My assumption was that 'Dual' refers to the ability to output both analog and digital.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

nmalinoski wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Apologies if I sound ignorant, but shouldn't GCDual/WiiDual be called GCTrio/WiiTrio? From my understanding, you can output three major signals: digital HDMI, analog RGB and analog YPbPr.
My assumption was that 'Dual' refers to the ability to output both analog and digital.
Yep.