Or am I not on the same page?
Extrems

Re: Cloning the Gamecube component cable

Post by Extrems »

Can what?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Well your saying the next version of swiss will be able to fix this chroma shift issue, I was asking if the same fix could be applied to gcduals firmware or is it not an issue when using gcdual as output?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Extrems wrote:When the image position is odd, chroma should be shifted right to compensate. I've confirmed that AVE-DOL and CMPV-DOL do so.
Do you have any idea how I can detect that from the digital video data?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Syntax wrote:Well your saying the next version of swiss will be able to fix this chroma shift issue, I was asking if the same fix could be applied to gcduals firmware or is it not an issue when using gcdual as output?
It's not a fix, it's a workaround. All GCDual outputs should be affected.
Unseen wrote:Do you have any idea how I can detect that from the digital video data?
My guess is you look at pairs of Y samples and the first one will be blanking.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I've compiled additional resolution data for the Swiss compatibility list.

From it, we can gleam the following titles are affected by this other chroma shift:
  • Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
  • Game Boy Player Start-up Disc
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash‼
  • Pikmin 2
  • Pokémon Box: Ruby and Sapphire
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
If you refuse to use Swiss, you can set the Screen Position in the GameCube Main Menu to -01 or +01 prior to launching an affected title. Don't forget to change it back!
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Okay, I am a few versions behind on everything here, so forgive me if this is already answered somewhere else. I will be (finally) updating my GCDual to 2.4b today and will be swapping out my GBI version for the latest. I understand that part of the deal here was to allow HD60 modes of GBI to work with GCDual, but what exactly are the best options (for GBI) when using the HDMI out? What about RGBs to an OSSC with generic 4:3 set? Are there also things I will need to change in the GCVideo menu when playing GB/GBC/GBA games? I am not one who likes to play around with optimized settings for every game/system, so ideally I would like to have one set-and-forget thing setup that gets me the best quality within that limitation. Ideally I would use high fidelity or speedrunning edition of GBI for the low lag. I see that FBX recommends to use gbihf-gcvideox.dol+cli, but this does not seem to exist in the download anymore.

I should add that the main reason I ask is because I prefer an autoexec and don't want to use Swiss, so I have to make all my edits with these dol+cli files and I really don't want to have to mess around endlessly trying to figure it out if someone else has already done that. Thanks!
Kez

Post by Kez »

The HD60 modes of GBI only work in dYUV (direct component) mode. With 2.4b set to dYUV and OSSC 0.82 you can use gbi-ossc.dol+cli, which will deliver 360p for doubling (720p) or tripling (1080p).
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The default settings are equivalent to the old GCVideoX preset.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Extrems wrote:The default settings are equivalent to the old GCVideoX preset.
Ah, so basically just boot HF with no changes and I should get the "best" settings? Neat. I usually lower audio volume, so I might still stick that in there, but that certainly makes it easier. Analog audio is the default now as well, right?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It's only the default for the standard edition.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Extrems wrote:It's only the default for the standard edition.
Okay, so I should set that, too. Thanks!
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Anyone have experience with GCVideo and HDMI switches? Mine was previously working but now neither of my switches detect a signal from the GC. I have to manually change to its input. If I plug directly into my AVR I get no signal. I’m at a loss and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

You probably changed the dvi mode in gcdual OSD menu
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Syntax wrote:You probably changed the dvi mode in gcdual OSD menu
What do you mean? DVI enhanced? Yes I have to enable that or I get no audio. Happens either way though. Btw, this is GCVideo-DVI not GCDual
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

mario64 wrote:
What do you mean? DVI enhanced? Yes I have to enable that or I get no audio. Happens either way though. Btw, this is GCVideo-DVI not GCDual
I'm using GCDual, so maybe not the most useful, but I am currently using the HDMI out into a 3-input HDMI switcher and it's auto switching fine.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Update on my GCVideo issues. All fixed now. Turns out my GC's power supply board was failing, specifically the 12v rail. After replacing it all is working properly again. Thanks to Unseen and Citrus3000psi for their assistance tracking this down.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

So I am super confused. Seems like the info is changing all the time and I can never find one good place that has all the info I need. Is it even possible to use GBI for playing GB/GBC/GBA games over HDMI? I just rewired my setup thinking that I would be able to accomplish this (and was happy to be down to 8 SCART connections instead of 9 so they would all fit on the gscartsw), but I cannot get a signal no matter which version of GBI I use. I can go back to RGBs if I have to, I'm just not super clear on what the rules are.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

mario64 wrote:
Yes it means that your receiver/scaler is not compatible with the DVI Enhanced.

Not Compatible:

Onkyo TX-SR805
Crystalio II VPS-XX00

Compatible:

Extron DSC 301 HD
Optoma HD 3000
Kez

Post by Kez »

thebigcheese wrote:So I am super confused. Seems like the info is changing all the time and I can never find one good place that has all the info I need. Is it even possible to use GBI for playing GB/GBC/GBA games over HDMI? I just rewired my setup thinking that I would be able to accomplish this (and was happy to be down to 8 SCART connections instead of 9 so they would all fit on the gscartsw), but I cannot get a signal no matter which version of GBI I use. I can go back to RGBs if I have to, I'm just not super clear on what the rules are.
Regular GBI in 480p should work over HDMI without issue
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Kez wrote: Regular GBI in 480p should work over HDMI without issue
Unless I am doing something wrong (entirely possible), it doesn't seem to. None of the three editions work for me.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Hmm, I just tested it out on my GCDual and it worked no problem. Loading gbi.dol with gbi.dcp in swiss, setting resolution to 480p60.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Kez wrote:Hmm, I just tested it out on my GCDual and it worked no problem. Loading gbi.dol with gbi.dcp in swiss, setting resolution to 480p60.
Ah, I do not have Swiss. Typically I stick the parameters in and make an autoexec file so it boots right up. So it sounds like it is probably a resolution issue, but what do I need to set to fix that?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Enable progressive scan in a GameCube game.
robotvendingmachine

Post by robotvendingmachine »

I am interested in making my own hdmi solution but I have not soldiering experience. Is there a walkthrough or tutorial on what needs to be done?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Extrems wrote:Enable progressive scan in a GameCube game.
I did. The issue may be that both the GC menu and the Action Replay are in 480i. If Swiss is running in 480p, maybe it keeps the mode for some reason? In which case, would setting --scan-mode=progressive fix it?
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

thebigcheese wrote:
Extrems wrote:Enable progressive scan in a GameCube game.
I did. The issue may be that both the GC menu and the Action Replay are in 480i. If Swiss is running in 480p, maybe it keeps the mode for some reason? In which case, would setting --scan-mode=progressive fix it?
Swiss (intentionally) doesn't follow Nintendo guidelines. Its menu defaults to 480p with a component cable unless told not to.
Most official 480p games start up in 480i and ask every time.

I haven't used GBI or an HDMI mod myself. (already got component and a Framemeister)
Kez

Post by Kez »

thebigcheese wrote:Ah, I do not have Swiss. Typically I stick the parameters in and make an autoexec file so it boots right up. So it sounds like it is probably a resolution issue, but what do I need to set to fix that?
What happens when you try to load it, just no picture at all? Have you tried it on other displays?

I would suggest getting the latest Swiss and setting that as your autoexec, then putting all the GBI files from the zip onto your SD card. This will allow you to experiment with settings until you find something that works, then you can create your cli file based on that.
theclaw wrote:I haven't used GBI or an HDMI mod myself. (already got component and a Framemeister)
Not sure if I misunderstand this comment, but GBI is a huge upgrade over the GBP Boot Disc regardless of your video chain.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Kez wrote:What happens when you try to load it, just no picture at all? Have you tried it on other displays?

I would suggest getting the latest Swiss and setting that as your autoexec, then putting all the GBI files from the zip onto your SD card. This will allow you to experiment with settings until you find something that works, then you can create your cli file based on that.
Yeah, I just get no picture or sound at all. Or rather, if I have the OSD for GCVideo on, that will display in the top right but not register any resolution, but no video or audio behind it. Before I updated to 2.4b, I was using RGBs into an OSSC and also a PVM. That worked fine, but obviously that is a different setup. The current setup is HDMI into a 3-way switch and from there into a receiver, then into the TV. This doesn't have any issues with GC games, whether 480i or 480p.

Sounds like I may have to download Swiss for the time being. I have no real interest in anything that Swiss provides as the end goal here is simplicity of use, especially since the wife will also want to use the GC and is not technical at all, so once that's all figured out I can create the CLI as you suggested. Sigh. I really wish there was a better way to do this. I do not enjoy digging through menus just to play games and it makes no sense to me to have default versions that just don't work over HDMI. Just venting.
Kez

Post by Kez »

This seems quite strange to me honestly, I don't recall being in a situation where loading GBI outputs a black screen but the GCVideo OSD still loads.

Have you verified that you can still load GBI using RGBs? Perhaps your Game Boy Player is not seated correctly?