Question about S-Video and Component..

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DantesInferno

Question about S-Video and Component..

Post by DantesInferno »

This could be a dumb question, but I thought I would ask...since the new TV I nabbed for the gameroom has component inputs and svideo, since it's not a HD tv, is it worth even bothering with component video with xbox/ps2/gamecube? Or should I stick with svideo??
it290

Post by it290 »

Yes, it's worth bothering. S-video isn't too bad, but component will still net you much better clarity and color seperation. The main improvement when going from composite to s-video is that s-video kills the dot crawl, but it still suffers from bleeding issues which are not present using component.
Neon

Post by Neon »

RGB > Component > Svideo > Sex with animals > Composite > RF

Resolution makes no difference for the above.
matt

Post by matt »

People think that component video is an HDTV thing, but really it's not. Use it if you're got it!
SAM

Post by SAM »

The quality of the cable you use for hooking up the systems would matter too. A good S-Vedio cable would matches the quality of a bad conponents.

If you are hooking up your systems using real great components cables (Monster is a good choice), the end result would be really beatiful.

:?: I am thinking of if we could improve the quality of a unsheilded cable by covering it with metal foil?
:?: Must I need to connect the metal foil to the vedio shield (Ground) pin to have the shield work?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
matt

Post by matt »

SAM wrote:A good S-Vedio cable would matches the quality of a bad conponents.
Probably not. Good quality cables are nice, but usually don't make as much of a difference as the manufacturers would like you to believe.
:?: I am thinking of if we could improve the quality of a unsheilded cable by covering it with metal foil?
Probably, but it would be so much work - why not just buy a better cable?
:?: Must I need to connect the metal foil to the vedio shield (Ground) pin to have the shield work?
You are correct.