seimitsu button and stick wiring.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
beatifik

seimitsu button and stick wiring.

Post by beatifik »

ok, so i'm building an xbox stick.

i've got the case ready to go.

i've got the pcb all wired already.

now, i need to know which of the contacts on the seimitsu buttons and sticks are ground and which are live. i figured it out once before when i attempted to build a ps1 stick, but that never happened and now i forget which goes where.

so, does anyone have a diagram of which is what?

there's little symbols on the buttons where the contacts are, but i don't know what they stand for.

can anyone help?

thanks.
say, by the way...

and in the meantime, it's gone away....
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

It doesn't matter which contact you use... on any button/switch just plug one to ground and one to live.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

If they're microswitches, there should be three leads:
Ground
Normally Open
Normally Closed

You'll want to hook up Gnd and NO, but as Dave said, it doesn't really matter what "color" wire you hook to them, but it makes it easier for you to keep things consistent between switches, i.e. don't make lead B ground and lead C live on one switch, and then lead C ground and lead B live on another.

I'm wondering though how you're dealing with the Xbox controller PCB itself. I've never taken apart an Xbox controller, but I looked inside a PS2 controller PCB, and the analogue face buttons are really a nightmare that I couldn't figure out. Is Xbox anything like that?
beatifik

Post by beatifik »

i'm using this guide. it was easy as pie :D

http://www.quartercircleforward.com/ima ... oxpcbs.htm
say, by the way...

Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

iatneH, you are correct when it comes to American style microswitches (with 3 leads), but Seimtsu button/sticks only use 2 leads per switch (should be very simple to hookup).

BTW: I've hacked xbox and PS2 pads before. Its easier if you hack madcatz xbox pads as they have larger soldering points for the buttons and d-pad. And even though they are analog, it still works just like digital when you hack them. As for PS2 I recommend hacking original PSOne pads as they use digital buttons, and there is a cool solderless hack if you find the right one that uses the ribbon connector in the back. More on this here:
http://home.comcast.net/~spiffyshoes/DualShockHack/
Last edited by Dave_K. on Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
beatifik

Post by beatifik »

dave, are the sticks the same?

there's 2 solder points on each direction. can i just wire one as ground and one as live?

that would make this easy :D
say, by the way...

Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

beatifik wrote:dave, are the sticks the same?

there's 2 solder points on each direction. can i just wire one as ground and one as live?

that would make this easy :D
Yes, you can connect ground/live to either point. You may want to be consistant and always wire ground on one side just to make it easier if you have to troubleshoot later on.
beatifik

Post by beatifik »

awesome. thanks a bunch.
say, by the way...