The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
EmperorZelos

Re: DVDO iScan Mini

Post by EmperorZelos »

what is this thing?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I hope this kind of small, limited scaler isn't the way DVDO are going. A improved Edge with anti-ringing would be great, assuming it kept the 6ms input lag times.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
cfx

Post by cfx »

Considering the Edge Green and Duo, their presumably current products, still don't support 240p AFAIK this doesn't seem likely.

On a related note, I wonder if the Duo is on the way out too? Currently there's a number of dealers on ebay with 10+ new Duo units selling them for around $800, which is lower than they've been new, that I've seen. Not just random sellers but ones like buy.com's and Beach Audio's ebay stores.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I am pretty sure that Silicon Image isn't interested in offering standalone processors anymore. They bought back ABT for the algorithms and to push ASICs for OEMs. DVDO is now a very small department of SI and the Mini is probably just a side effect of the pattern generator they offerered earlier (seems like the exact same hardware with a different config).

Compared to the golden years (2004 to 2010) when DVDO released yearly hardware updates, there hasn't been any innovation coming from their labs. Same for Lumagen by the way - except they managed to stay strong in the integrator market (despite their insane prices). Lumagen is just enhancing their CMS over and over again...

This said, the Duo is still an excellent processor. It's CMS is not quite as powerful as Lumagen's, but still good enough for almost everybody.
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

The weekend is almost upon us :). Though it seems like a pretty disappointing product from what I've read thus far.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

We need a modular video processor :mrgreen:

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Review up at http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ - below the DVDO Edge review (between the Edge and the Optoma HD3000).

I also added a review for that generic Scart RGB to HDMI upscaler used on the SHMUP MASTER youtube videos.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

Fudoh wrote:Review up at http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ - below the DVDO Edge review (between the Edge and the Optoma HD3000).

I also added a review for that generic Scart RGB to HDMI upscaler used on the SHMUP MASTER youtube videos.
Excellent review as always. Thanks.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Fudoh wrote:Review
Doesn't deserve the 'iScan' name indeed.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

Thanks for the review. This was a disappointing way to bring back the iScan product line though.
strayan

Post by strayan »

3 questions:

1. What’s the latency on this thing?

2. Can I set custom resolutions?

3. Can I set custom EDID via the OSD? Does anyone have any additional screenshots of this OSD in operation besides the one in fudohs review?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

half a frame.

no, but you have a pretty good selection available with all the major VESA and SMPTE ones available.

yes, you can add or remove preset resolutions, mainly for 4K compatibility.

The iScan Mini manual has screenshots of pretty much all parts of the menu.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Thanks.