shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:39 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
whatamansion wrote:
Everything still on track to arrive this month, superg?

Just saw my HD Retrovision SNES, Genesis and PS1 cables will be shipping out by the end of this week. All I need in my life now is the gcompsw to go along with it :D

Yeah, should be shipped this month, all good so far.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 am 



Joined: 17 Feb 2020
Posts: 14
superg wrote:
daihashi wrote:
Excellent, thank you so much for the guidance on this. I'm not in a rush, so I'll just wait until the new multiplexers arrive.
Thank you again, and hope you have a great weekend.

Yeah, but the idea is, make sure everything else is functional before ordering these! :)
Multiplexers arrived today, much faster than I expected. I swapped out U5/U6 with the new multiplexers. The voltage at L1 read 4.65v. I plugged it in and low and behold not only does it work, but I have beautiful audio. :)

Question: Is 4.65v within acceptable voltage range, or should I be keeping my eye out for some lingering problems that haven't translated to audio/video output yet?

I'm assuming its fine, but thought it would hurt to put the question out there.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
daihashi wrote:
superg wrote:
daihashi wrote:
Excellent, thank you so much for the guidance on this. I'm not in a rush, so I'll just wait until the new multiplexers arrive.
Thank you again, and hope you have a great weekend.

Yeah, but the idea is, make sure everything else is functional before ordering these! :)
Multiplexers arrived today, much faster than I expected. I swapped out U5/U6 with the new multiplexers. The voltage at L1 read 4.65v. I plugged it in and low and behold not only does it work, but I have beautiful audio. :)

Question: Is 4.65v within acceptable voltage range, or should I be keeping my eye out for some lingering problems that haven't translated to audio/video output yet?

I'm assuming its fine, but thought it would hurt to put the question out there.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Very good!
There will be some drop under load, you should be fine. If you can, run 240p test suite and check RGB bars and left and right audio channel, make sure colors are rich and LR volume is equal when you do test sound.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:12 am 



Joined: 07 May 2020
Posts: 10
superg wrote:
whatamansion wrote:
Everything still on track to arrive this month, superg?

Just saw my HD Retrovision SNES, Genesis and PS1 cables will be shipping out by the end of this week. All I need in my life now is the gcompsw to go along with it :D

Yeah, should be shipped this month, all good so far.


Excellent! Can't wait!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:19 pm 



Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 80
If I connect two video monitors to each of the two SCART output jacks and only use one pair of speakers for both video monitors, is there a way to get the gscart to output the audio to the one pair of speakers, no matter which video output is being used? Or would I need to use something like an additional automatic audio switcher?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1790
Sefirosu789 wrote:
If I connect two video monitors to each of the two SCART output jacks and only use one pair of speakers for both video monitors, is there a way to set the gscart to output the audio to the one pair of speakers, no matter which video output is being used?

a) If you can separately connect the video and audio to your monitors, leave audio to one monitor disconnected; otherwise
b) Just mute the audio from the other monitor.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
nmalinoski wrote:
Sefirosu789 wrote:
If I connect two video monitors to each of the two SCART output jacks and only use one pair of speakers for both video monitors, is there a way to set the gscart to output the audio to the one pair of speakers, no matter which video output is being used?

a) If you can separately connect the video and audio to your monitors, leave audio to one monitor disconnected; otherwise
b) Just mute the audio from the other monitor.

This.
Both SCART outputs are active at all times. Either mute the other speakers or physically disconnect audio signals from output.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:20 pm 



Joined: 17 Apr 2019
Posts: 55
Location: Illinois, United States
Hey superg I've got a question for you. I just bought a DAC from Analogue and have either a Super NT or a Mega Sg running thru the dac which then runs to your gcompsw and then out to a consumer trinitron crt. So basically it's Super NT > DAC > gcompsw > TV. Both consoles seem to work fine when turned on but when I don't have any console turned on that go into the gcompsw (I have 7 systems total that plug into the gcompsw) the screen on my tv constantly flashes purple/green and black. It doesn't do this if the dac isn't plugged into the gcompsw but as soon as I introduce the dac into the chain the flashing happens. I plugged the dac directly into the tv bypassing the gcompsw and I got no flashing colors on the tv. Do you have any idea what may be causing this flashing and is it harmful in any way?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
AceFan84 wrote:
Hey superg I've got a question for you. I just bought a DAC from Analogue and have either a Super NT or a Mega Sg running thru the dac which then runs to your gcompsw and then out to a consumer trinitron crt. So basically it's Super NT > DAC > gcompsw > TV. Both consoles seem to work fine when turned on but when I don't have any console turned on that go into the gcompsw (I have 7 systems total that plug into the gcompsw) the screen on my tv constantly flashes purple/green and black. It doesn't do this if the dac isn't plugged into the gcompsw but as soon as I introduce the dac into the chain the flashing happens. I plugged the dac directly into the tv bypassing the gcompsw and I got no flashing colors on the tv. Do you have any idea what may be causing this flashing and is it harmful in any way?

Very likely this is the same thing as comp2rgb. If there is something different from logic low on the sync line when everything is turned off, the switch will treat that as some signal. This is not harmful.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:50 pm 



Joined: 17 Apr 2019
Posts: 55
Location: Illinois, United States
superg wrote:
AceFan84 wrote:
Hey superg I've got a question for you. I just bought a DAC from Analogue and have either a Super NT or a Mega Sg running thru the dac which then runs to your gcompsw and then out to a consumer trinitron crt. So basically it's Super NT > DAC > gcompsw > TV. Both consoles seem to work fine when turned on but when I don't have any console turned on that go into the gcompsw (I have 7 systems total that plug into the gcompsw) the screen on my tv constantly flashes purple/green and black. It doesn't do this if the dac isn't plugged into the gcompsw but as soon as I introduce the dac into the chain the flashing happens. I plugged the dac directly into the tv bypassing the gcompsw and I got no flashing colors on the tv. Do you have any idea what may be causing this flashing and is it harmful in any way?

Very likely this is the same thing as comp2rgb. If there is something different from logic low on the sync line when everything is turned off, the switch will treat that as some signal. This is not harmful.


Ok nice to know, thanks for the help!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:44 pm 



Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 80
superg wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:
Sefirosu789 wrote:
If I connect two video monitors to each of the two SCART output jacks and only use one pair of speakers for both video monitors, is there a way to set the gscart to output the audio to the one pair of speakers, no matter which video output is being used?

a) If you can separately connect the video and audio to your monitors, leave audio to one monitor disconnected; otherwise
b) Just mute the audio from the other monitor.

This.
Both SCART outputs are active at all times. Either mute the other speakers or physically disconnect audio signals from output.


Got it. I didn’t know they were both active at all times.

Thank you guys!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
Taboleo wrote:
Hi superg. I have a little problem from you website store. You said that can I still back order and it will be shipped when available. But when i'm going to purchase the gcompsw via paypal the shipping for my country cost $9,999.00 :shock:

Do you do international shipping? if that so, Could you fix the shipping prices? And yes i´m from Lima - Peru. Thank you in advance for your incredible work. :D

I don't ship to some countries, I had a negative experience shipping to Chile and I was hold accountable for it.
Please use a proxy service because in that case proxy is responsible for the transit, especially with this covid situation I would not risk shipping to Peru myself.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
rsetteadv wrote:
Hi there,
I've bought a gcompsw recently. Greate product!
According to getretrostuff's website: "Any SUPERGUN conversion (or other silly arcade mods in general) will permanently damage the switch."
Do you guys know if such warning also applies to a Neo Geo MVS Consolized? Has anyone tried plugging one o the gscompsw?
Thanks for the help.

Haha, I didn't even remember that I've used "silly" there, indeed I did.
There are safe arcade devices and unsafe devices, the problem is that I can't say what is safe because there are so many and I physically can spend so much time looking into every case. So I just don't want to be responsible if anything goes wrong so you do it on your own risk.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
I got the new batch today, everything is as expected.
Starting gscartsw shipping this week, gcompsw will follow.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:38 pm 



Joined: 07 May 2020
Posts: 10
superg wrote:
I got the new batch today, everything is as expected.
Starting gscartsw shipping this week, gcompsw will follow.


Awesome news! Perfect timing! Getting my HD Retrovision cables today :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:08 am 



Joined: 25 May 2020
Posts: 5
superg wrote:
I got the new batch today, everything is as expected.
Starting gscartsw shipping this week, gcompsw will follow.


Great news! I have all my consoles in place and ready to plug in as soon as my switches show up. Very excited.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:36 pm 



Joined: 21 Jul 2019
Posts: 13
Hello @superg, I've the following problem:

Ever since I setup the gscartsw i noticed some background noise on the sound but I didn't have time to debug the issue until recently.

Here is my setup (hasn't really changed since my last question):

Gscartsw ouputs to:
- OSSC ( the ossc gets the sound directly from the scart but outputs it through aux to my amp)
- PVM (using a Scart to BNC cable from Wookieewin + retrogamingcables SCART to SCART, the wookie cable outputs RCA audio which i connect into my amp)
Gcompsw connected to COMP2RGB connected to gscartsw

I decided to debug the issue because recently i got an analogue DAC and the noise was more noticeable than with other consoles( which also have noise but is more tolerable)

So basically I started taking things out of the chain and i came to the following conclusion:

-Test1: Analogue DAC connected directly to the PVM using the wookie cable but taking sound directly from DAC RCA output into my AMP: no noise even when the AMP volume is max
-Test1: Analogue DAC connected directly to the PVM using the wookie cable (taking sound from the wookie RCA output into my AMP): Almost no noise unless i really crank up the volume
-Test2: Analogue DAC connected to gscartsw and using the wookie + (retrogamingcables SCART + SCART) to output video/sound from the gscartsw = lots of noise even when volume is low
-Test3: the same than Test2, but i disconnected the gscartsw from the outlet and to my surprise the noise increased.

Note: I noticed the noise increased when the gscartsw was disconnected because i was trying to test if connecting the gscartsw to a different outlet would make a difference.

Could it be that my gscartsw is defective and is causing the noise?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:11 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
snowekim wrote:
-Test2: Analogue DAC connected to gscartsw and using the wookie + (retrogamingcables SCART + SCART) to output video/sound from the gscartsw = lots of noise even when volume is low
-Test3: the same than Test2, but i disconnected the gscartsw from the outlet and to my surprise the noise increased.

Note: I noticed the noise increased when the gscartsw was disconnected because i was trying to test if connecting the gscartsw to a different outlet would make a difference.

Could it be that my gscartsw is defective and is causing the noise?

It's unlikely that the switch is defective. When you exclude gscartsw from the chain, you also exclude the cable from gscartsw to whatever is next in your chain, this is most likely the cause of your interference. Suggestion which usually helps everybody:
The cable which goes from the switch to the output should be short and shielded.

Let's focus on one simple test:
Connect any console to any input -> gscartsw -> SCART male to male cable -> OSSC, leave everything else disconnected. If you hear audio buzz, it's one of the two things:
1. your SCART to SCART cable is too long / poorly shielded
2. your console input cable is too long / poorly shielded
As simple as that.
Also connecting your console directly to OSSC is not a good test to rule out the console cable as the cable length is shorter than if connected through the switch.

In some cases audio receiver is more prone to the interference so you need good / short cables everywhere including audio cable going from your OSSC to the receiver.

I use RGC packapunch from the console to the switch and short 1ft retro-access mini coaxial SCART male to male cable going to my OSSC if that helps.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:45 pm 



Joined: 10 Aug 2019
Posts: 10
anakin wrote:
I tried different consoles, DIP 1 and moved u6 to u4. Tried again different consoles, that are known working with my other gscartw. Same result.
I ordered some multiplexer. In 10-15 working days we will know more :-).

I somehow enjoy the tinkering. So eventually I will get there.

Thank you for your help and dedication.


Hi again,

I received the parts today and replaced U1-U6. Unfortunately, the same sync issue was still there. As I remembered U19 being extremely hot, when the faulty U4 was still installed, I replaced it afterwards. This was the remaining culprit. 8 input ports and 2 output ports working again.

Thank you again for helping!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
anakin wrote:
anakin wrote:
I tried different consoles, DIP 1 and moved u6 to u4. Tried again different consoles, that are known working with my other gscartw. Same result.
I ordered some multiplexer. In 10-15 working days we will know more :-).

I somehow enjoy the tinkering. So eventually I will get there.

Thank you for your help and dedication.


Hi again,

I received the parts today and replaced U1-U6. Unfortunately, the same sync issue was still there. As I remembered U19 being extremely hot, when the faulty U4 was still installed, I replaced it afterwards. This was the remaining culprit. 8 input ports and 2 output ports working again.

Thank you again for helping!

If only everybody could fix their own switches haha!
U19 is negative voltage regulator IC, I never had to replace one after the damage so your case is the first one. Yes, if it's hot without load it was damaged.
Glad it worked out!
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:35 pm 



Joined: 10 Aug 2019
Posts: 10
superg wrote:
If only everybody could fix their own switches haha!
U19 is negative voltage regulator IC, I never had to replace one after the damage so your case is the first one. Yes, if it's hot without load it was damaged.
Glad it worked out!


I guess, I fried U19 while checking voltages on the board before asking you what to do :-)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:46 am 



Joined: 21 Jul 2019
Posts: 13
superg wrote:
It's unlikely that the switch is defective. When you exclude gscartsw from the chain, you also exclude the cable from gscartsw to whatever is next in your chain, this is most likely the cause of your interference. Suggestion which usually helps everybody:
The cable which goes from the switch to the output should be short and shielded.

Let's focus on one simple test:
Connect any console to any input -> gscartsw -> SCART male to male cable -> OSSC, leave everything else disconnected. If you hear audio buzz, it's one of the two things:
1. your SCART to SCART cable is too long / poorly shielded
2. your console input cable is too long / poorly shielded
As simple as that.
Also connecting your console directly to OSSC is not a good test to rule out the console cable as the cable length is shorter than if connected through the switch.

In some cases audio receiver is more prone to the interference so you need good / short cables everywhere including audio cable going from your OSSC to the receiver.

I use RGC packapunch from the console to the switch and short 1ft retro-access mini coaxial SCART male to male cable going to my OSSC if that helps.


The cables I'm using to connect my OSSC and PVM are from RGC and the length is .75m (the shortest he had available), would you qualify these as shitty cables? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/male-scart-to-male-scart-male-0.75m?search=Male%20SCART%20P%C3%A9ritel%20to%20male%20SCART%20P%C3%A9ritel%20male

So I have 3 of these cables, tried the test you described with each and all of them had the same buzzing noise.
Also I tried connecting my console directly to the OSSC through SCART and there is practically no noise ( unless I crank the volume to max)

So not sure what to conclude from this... you still think it's a problem with the cables? and if so is there an alternative to retro-access? they seem to be forever out of stock.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:30 pm 



Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 80
Hey, hoping for some advice re. cabling for my gscartsw. I've been trying to make a cable for my gscartsw output directly to my PVM without having to use a coupler or two cables.
I got one of those monoprice 4 x 4 BNC cables and cut it in half. I then put a male SCART head onto one end of the cable. However, I can't get it to sync...
I wired it the same way as one would for the female SCART head as it's doing the same thing.

Image

I've wired up the following pins in the SCART head to the BNC sync cable: Pin 20 for Composite Sync, Pin 18 for Composite Sync ground. RGB and audio with their grounds to their respective pins.

Using a male SCART to SCART cable with a female SCART to x 4 BNC cable worked fine so it's definitely the cable but not sure what I did wrong :?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
snowekim wrote:
The cables I'm using to connect my OSSC and PVM are from RGC and the length is .75m (the shortest he had available), would you qualify these as shitty cables? https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/male-scart-to-male-scart-male-0.75m?search=Male%20SCART%20P%C3%A9ritel%20to%20male%20SCART%20P%C3%A9ritel%20male

So I have 3 of these cables, tried the test you described with each and all of them had the same buzzing noise.
Also I tried connecting my console directly to the OSSC through SCART and there is practically no noise ( unless I crank the volume to max)

So not sure what to conclude from this... you still think it's a problem with the cables? and if so is there an alternative to retro-access? they seem to be forever out of stock.

Those .75m RGC cables aren't good afaik. His packapunch stuff is good but I've just checked his inventory and I don't see a good SCART male to male cables he used to manufacture before. (this one might be good but I never tried it: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... t-cable-2m)
The switch doesn't contribute to buzz. If there was some audio fault with the switch, most likely it would manifest the other way.
You can try https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-COUPLER- ... 0718444430, exclude the switch with this coupler while keeping the same cables and you will hear the same buzz.
Or for test, try to route only video from one SCART output and only audio from the second SCART output and see if anything changes.
Also what is your console cable, you didn't mention that?
retro-access.com have some special time when you will be able to order, I believe they explained it on their website. They do good cables.
This was decent but you have to order shorter 6ft or even less: https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-04A2-00087
I will also repeat myself one more time, no buzz with directly connected console to OSSC doesn't prove that console cable is good because the overall length is short. Even if the second cable is better due to added length it can exponentially increase buzz.

I can accept the switch back here for diagnostics but it would be a waste of your money and my time because most likely I won't find any problem.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1384
Location: US, MI
Sefirosu789 wrote:
Hey, hoping for some advice re. cabling for my gscartsw. I've been trying to make a cable for my gscartsw output directly to my PVM without having to use a coupler or two cables.
I got one of those monoprice 4 x 4 BNC cables and cut it in half. I then put a male SCART head onto one end of the cable. However, I can't get it to sync...
I wired it the same way as one would for the female SCART head as it's doing the same thing.

Image

I've wired up the following pins in the SCART head to the BNC sync cable: Pin 20 for Composite Sync, Pin 18 for Composite Sync ground. RGB and audio with their grounds to their respective pins.

Using a male SCART to SCART cable with a female SCART to x 4 BNC cable worked fine so it's definitely the cable but not sure what I did wrong :?

As you connect switch SCART output to BNC input, you should use SCART pin 19 for sync, not pin 20.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:47 pm 



Joined: 30 Jul 2017
Posts: 80
superg wrote:
Sefirosu789 wrote:
Hey, hoping for some advice re. cabling for my gscartsw. I've been trying to make a cable for my gscartsw output directly to my PVM without having to use a coupler or two cables.
I got one of those monoprice 4 x 4 BNC cables and cut it in half. I then put a male SCART head onto one end of the cable. However, I can't get it to sync...
I wired it the same way as one would for the female SCART head as it's doing the same thing.

Image

I've wired up the following pins in the SCART head to the BNC sync cable: Pin 20 for Composite Sync, Pin 18 for Composite Sync ground. RGB and audio with their grounds to their respective pins.

Using a male SCART to SCART cable with a female SCART to x 4 BNC cable worked fine so it's definitely the cable but not sure what I did wrong :?

As you connect switch SCART output to BNC input, you should use SCART pin 19 for sync, not pin 20.


Cheers Superg. I thought it would be the same as the female SCART... Whoops! I've put sync on 19 and sync ground on 17 and it works flawlessly with the gscartsw now!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:28 pm 



Joined: 21 Jul 2019
Posts: 13
superg wrote:
Those .75m RGC cables aren't good afaik. His packapunch stuff is good but I've just checked his inventory and I don't see a good SCART male to male cables he used to manufacture before. (this one might be good but I never tried it: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... t-cable-2m)
The switch doesn't contribute to buzz. If there was some audio fault with the switch, most likely it would manifest the other way.
You can try https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCART-COUPLER- ... 0718444430, exclude the switch with this coupler while keeping the same cables and you will hear the same buzz.
Or for test, try to route only video from one SCART output and only audio from the second SCART output and see if anything changes.
Also what is your console cable, you didn't mention that?
retro-access.com have some special time when you will be able to order, I believe they explained it on their website. They do good cables.
This was decent but you have to order shorter 6ft or even less: https://www.newegg.com/p/1B4-04A2-00087
I will also repeat myself one more time, no buzz with directly connected console to OSSC doesn't prove that console cable is good because the overall length is short. Even if the second cable is better due to added length it can exponentially increase buzz.

I can accept the switch back here for diagnostics but it would be a waste of your money and my time because most likely I won't find any problem.


Yea i think you're right about the cables, I just did another test today connecting the COMP2RGB directly to OSSC using one of my .75 M-M Scarts and the buzz was there. I'll try asking Robert (RGC) if he can manufacture some high quality M-M Scarts for me so I don't have to wait until September for retro-access to open orders for one hour ( i missed their july 12th window lol...).

Anyway I'll post back my results once i have new cables, thanks for the support =)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:59 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 410
snowekim wrote:
I'll try asking Robert (RGC) if he can manufacture some high quality M-M Scarts for me so I don't have to wait until September for retro-access to open orders for one hour ( i missed their july 12th window lol...)


You don't really need to do that, there's plenty of quality M to M SCART cables out there available 24/7. You've gotta just trust your gut and keep an eye out for nicer-looking ones. Keep an eye out for things like gold-plated connectors, thicker cables, ferrite cores, etc etc etc. Always good to keep an eye out for stuff that doesn't just use stock photos!
_________________
For CRTs, A/V gear, video games & more, be sure to check out my eBay!

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:22 am 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 206
Location: Burlington, Vermont, USA
MJR wrote:
superg wrote:
But currently I have connected; Commodore 128D . . .

How are you getting RGBS from a Commodore 128D?
_________________
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 410
the Goat wrote:
MJR wrote:
superg wrote:
But currently I have connected; Commodore 128D . . .

How are you getting RGBS from a Commodore 128D?


If I had to guess they're prob rocking this:
https://gglabs.us/node/2063
Image
_________________
For CRTs, A/V gear, video games & more, be sure to check out my eBay!

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Extrems, fernan1234, Google [Bot], Kez, maxtherabbit, strayan and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group