shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:48 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:45 pm 



Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 166
OK - Got it. Thanks a bunch.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 am 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 1065
Location: Finland
My banderswitch died on me finally (overheated and started to stink, so I had to disconnect it and throw it away). I have now gone through four different scart switches, they have all died on me / been junk, so it looks like I need this as the last resort - I got 8 consoles / computers I need to share one CRT screen with, so looks like 8 scart switch is the only option to go really.

I got only two questions:
What is the status with stock at the moment? If I pay with paypal *now*, how long it would take when you are able to ship one?
Does this USB power connector work reliably with the 230W / 50hz we have in finland? Looking from the photos, I assume you included type F connector conversion in there? I would rather not want to fry a very expensive scart switch on the go. (Please be aware that I have very little understanding of electronics, especially anything that has to do with power conversion) I do assume though that you are using quality parts :)

Thanks for your time!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
MJR wrote:
My banderswitch died on me finally (overheated and started to stink, so I had to disconnect it and throw it away). I have now gone through four different scart switches, they have all died on me / been junk, so it looks like I need this as the last resort - I got 8 consoles / computers I need to share one CRT screen with, so looks like 8 scart switch is the only option to go really.

I got only two questions:
What is the status with stock at the moment? If I pay with paypal *now*, how long it would take when you are able to ship one?
Does this USB power connector work reliably with the 230W / 50hz we have in finland? Looking from the photos, I assume you included type F connector conversion in there? I would rather not want to fry a very expensive scart switch on the go. (Please be aware that I have very little understanding of electronics, especially anything that has to do with power conversion) I do assume though that you are using quality parts :)

Thanks for your time!

It's out of stock, I expect next batch late July. USB power supply I bundle with the switch is universal, it will work fine in Finland, just use included EU blade.
Now the question on your previous switches, if you say it often dies maybe there is a problem with some of your inputs. What do you have connected? Any DIY cables, amplified audio etc?
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 1065
Location: Finland
superg wrote:
It's out of stock, I expect next batch late July. USB power supply I bundle with the switch is universal, it will work fine in Finland, just use included EU blade.
Now the question on your previous switches, if you say it often dies maybe there is a problem with some of your inputs. What do you have connected? Any DIY cables, amplified audio etc?


I probably should add that we are talking about 15+ year time frame here. Banderswitch lasted for four years before falling apart. But currently I have connected; Commodore 128D, Amiga 1200, PS1, PS2, Saturn, PC-Engine Duo R, Wii, and Xbox 360. All are using scart / RGB scart. Not all of them are with "official" scart cables, but since I don't have the skill to make any, I have bought my scart cables off from ebay, and usually tried to buy the one that has looked most reliable and professonial to my untrained eye, and also made sure their seller always explicitly stated that they are tailor-made for the specific hardware. You stated in your second post that banderswitch is junk, so I am not surprised that it burned eventually; the ones before that were even cheaper and poorer. But yes, of course I would like to make sure that the one I order from you would stay functional.

End of july sounds fine to me. I will make the order today :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:30 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
MJR wrote:
superg wrote:
It's out of stock, I expect next batch late July. USB power supply I bundle with the switch is universal, it will work fine in Finland, just use included EU blade.
Now the question on your previous switches, if you say it often dies maybe there is a problem with some of your inputs. What do you have connected? Any DIY cables, amplified audio etc?


I probably should add that we are talking about 15+ year time frame here. Banderswitch lasted for four years before falling apart. But currently I have connected; Commodore 128D, Amiga 1200, PS1, PS2, Saturn, PC-Engine Duo R, Wii, and Xbox 360. All are using scart / RGB scart. Not all of them are with "official" scart cables, but since I don't have the skill to make any, I have bought my scart cables off from ebay, and usually tried to buy the one that has looked most reliable and professonial to my untrained eye, and also made sure their seller always explicitly stated that they are tailor-made for the specific hardware. You stated in your second post that banderswitch is junk, so I am not surprised that it burned eventually; the ones before that were even cheaper and poorer. But yes, of course I would like to make sure that the one I order from you would stay functional.

End of july sounds fine to me. I will make the order today :)

Saturn: make sure you use corresponding region cable, they have incompatible pinouts across NTSC / PAL regions and you could get voltage on some unexpected pins (too lazy to check which)
PC-Engine provides non compliant signal off it's bus, you might need some proper mod in order to get it detected by gscartsw. Just saying :)
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 1065
Location: Finland
superg wrote:
MJR wrote:
Saturn: make sure you use corresponding region cable, they have incompatible pinouts across NTSC / PAL regions and you could get voltage on some unexpected pins (too lazy to check which)
PC-Engine provides non compliant signal off it's bus, you might need some proper mod in order to get it detected by gscartsw. Just saying :)


My Saturn is modded, it has two switches, one for setting the console into JP/EU region mode, other for switching the output signal. I think :D ..my PC-Engine is also modded to give proper signal out. However, those consoles were not modded by me, so I have to operate on good faith alone that the people who modded them understood what they were doing.. but thanks for the heads up, appreciated.

Order placed.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
MJR wrote:
superg wrote:
MJR wrote:
Saturn: make sure you use corresponding region cable, they have incompatible pinouts across NTSC / PAL regions and you could get voltage on some unexpected pins (too lazy to check which)
PC-Engine provides non compliant signal off it's bus, you might need some proper mod in order to get it detected by gscartsw. Just saying :)


My Saturn is modded, it has two switches, one for setting the console into JP/EU region mode, other for switching the output signal. I think :D ..my PC-Engine is also modded to give proper signal out. However, those consoles were not modded by me, so I have to operate on good faith alone that the people who modded them understood what they were doing.. but thanks for the heads up, appreciated.

Order placed.

Yeah I understand that your Saturn is modded, but PAL saturn has +9V hardwired to the same pin where NTSC version outputs composite sync, I doubt your mod changes that. If your RGB SCART cable is connecting that 9V pin to SCART sync output this is a potential problem. Well, if you get the video signal just fine this is not an issue but rather a warning what can happen. Bandridge is a junk yet I don't see a reason why would it die by itself :)
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 1065
Location: Finland
superg wrote:
Yeah I understand that your Saturn is modded, but PAL saturn has +9V hardwired to the same pin where NTSC version outputs composite sync, I doubt your mod changes that. If your RGB SCART cable is connecting that 9V pin to SCART sync output this is a potential problem. Well, if you get the video signal just fine this is not an issue but rather a warning what can happen. Bandridge is a junk yet I don't see a reason why would it die by itself :)


OK, maybe the switch does something else - I bought the thing in 1999 and don't even remember anymore the deal.. but the other switch is clearly for region and other clearly for video signal. What it does, I have no idea, but when they are in correct position the video shows up fine. Never had any trouble. Bandridge didn't exactly break yet, the video was showing, but I sensed a nasty smell and noticed by feeling that it was heating up pretty badly and omitting a burning smell. This is usually bad sign(tm) even for someone like me who has no clue about electronics so I unplugged it, and I really don't feel like trying to use it again. I was using my A1200 when this happened, no other equipment had it's power on. But then again I had that A1200 for over ten years, so I really have no idea what made the bandridge overheat. But I think I rather buy your system than find out, because having constantly to pull out scart cables because I had 2 systems too many was a real pain in the butt and having switcher for 8 systems would eliminate that :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support th
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:54 pm 



Joined: 16 Aug 2017
Posts: 9
Hello superg,

I have a gscart_lite that I bought around 3 years ago (might be older than that, I would need to check) that has fried recently. I didn’t use it much because of lack of time but it was always plugged on. I used it 2 months ago and everything was fine but today, the led was off and it didn’t work. Did not touch it for the past 2 months, I haven’t added any cables or anything so I assume it must have been a power surge. That is the best I can diagnose with my knowledge. Also, I only had basic consoles hooked using retro-access cables, no supergun or anything

Please let me know if you can fix it, I read you did not like doing so that much but I have to at least ask the creator as I am not sure I can find someone locally.

Thank you for your time.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support th
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
lavignep wrote:
Hello superg,

I have a gscart_lite that I bought around 3 years ago (might be older than that, I would need to check) that has fried recently. I didn’t use it much because of lack of time but it was always plugged on. I used it 2 months ago and everything was fine but today, the led was off and it didn’t work. Did not touch it for the past 2 months, I haven’t added any cables or anything so I assume it must have been a power surge. That is the best I can diagnose with my knowledge. Also, I only had basic consoles hooked using retro-access cables, no supergun or anything

Please let me know if you can fix it, I read you did not like doing so that much but I have to at least ask the creator as I am not sure I can find someone locally.

Thank you for your time.

Hey,
Sorry I don't fix lite units anymore, a lot of parts are end of life and that's just too old. You will need somebody who can unsolder some beads from it and see if it starts. Power surge damage is unlikely (but not impossible of course), usually it's multiplexer damage.
I can help a bit to figure out what's wrong with it but I won't be working on it myself.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:44 pm 



Joined: 16 Aug 2017
Posts: 9
Hello superg,

Thanks for the answer, I kinda expected something along those lines after 3 years. I will try to find someone locally.

I am tempted to get a 5.2, would I be correct to assume that I can daisy chain it with another gscart_lite if I put the 5.2 first? Plan is to daisy chain and have a PS2 with RGsB in my setup.

Thanks again and take care.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:52 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
lavignep wrote:
Hello superg,

Thanks for the answer, I kinda expected something along those lines after 3 years. I will try to find someone locally.

I am tempted to get a 5.2, would I be correct to assume that I can daisy chain it with another gscart_lite if I put the 5.2 first? Plan is to daisy chain and have a PS2 with RGsB in my setup.

Thanks again and take care.

Yes, daisy chain works with all switch versions but all the RGsB sources have to be connected to v5.2 first regardless of whether it's last or first in chain.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:07 pm 



Joined: 25 Apr 2020
Posts: 5
Hello, the latest news i had from my gscartsw's tracker are from may 9, is this a regular delay because the Covid-19 situation? or should i start to worry? :|


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:02 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
Gurpegui wrote:
Hello, the latest news i had from my gscartsw's tracker are from may 9, is this a regular delay because the Covid-19 situation? or should i start to worry? :|

Unfortunately some people are still waiting for their switches to arrive. Yes there is a big slow down on Chicago ISC and not only, the situation is out of my hands the suggestion is to wait.
It will come.
Second batch (new orders) is expected to come in late July.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:50 pm 



Joined: 16 Aug 2017
Posts: 9
No problem there, the switch is non essential, it just improves the quality of life manifold.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:02 am 



Joined: 25 Apr 2020
Posts: 5
superg wrote:
Gurpegui wrote:
Hello, the latest news i had from my gscartsw's tracker are from may 9, is this a regular delay because the Covid-19 situation? or should i start to worry? :|

Unfortunately some people are still waiting for their switches to arrive. Yes there is a big slow down on Chicago ISC and not only, the situation is out of my hands the suggestion is to wait.
It will come.
Second batch (new orders) is expected to come in late July.


Ok, thank you, i only wanted to make sure that the delivery was still going on.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:29 pm 



Joined: 05 Dec 2012
Posts: 494
Healer_LFG wrote:
Yeah, I've read that a scart cleaner like SCART2DVI can do this, but that particular device only supports 240p/480i. My xbox, gamecube and ps2 can put out higher than a 15khz signal. Is it possible to special order a gscartsw/gcompsw that supports TTL?

All signals pass just find through the SCARTCleaner, it's just the LPF that's only helpful at 15KHz. If you oversample with your Datapath card, you won't need to worry about that anyway:
https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/scart2dvi/
https://www.retrorgb.com/videocapture.html


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:59 am 



Joined: 16 Jun 2020
Posts: 3
Hey G,

I ordered a Gscart the 28th of april, it was send on the 2nd of may to the Netherlands. But has yet to arrive.
Do you know if this is normal (because of delays due to the virus), or did something go wrong?

Kind regards,

Thijs


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
ChernoChez wrote:
Hey G,

I ordered a Gscart the 28th of april, it was send on the 2nd of may to the Netherlands. But has yet to arrive.
Do you know if this is normal (because of delays due to the virus), or did something go wrong?

Kind regards,

Thijs

Hey,
Yes, I have another customer from Netherlands who is still waiting for the switch to arrive. Sorry about that, it's stupid covid ruining everything.
Also few customers from Germany / UK are affected.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:05 am 



Joined: 16 Jun 2020
Posts: 3
superg wrote:
ChernoChez wrote:
Hey G,

I ordered a Gscart the 28th of april, it was send on the 2nd of may to the Netherlands. But has yet to arrive.
Do you know if this is normal (because of delays due to the virus), or did something go wrong?

Kind regards,

Thijs

Hey,
Yes, I have another customer from Netherlands who is still waiting for the switch to arrive. Sorry about that, it's stupid covid ruining everything.
Also few customers from Germany / UK are affected.


Okay no problem, ill check again in a few weeks. Thanks for the quick reply!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:45 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 354
retrorgb wrote:
Healer_LFG wrote:
Yeah, I've read that a scart cleaner like SCART2DVI can do this, but that particular device only supports 240p/480i. My xbox, gamecube and ps2 can put out higher than a 15khz signal. Is it possible to special order a gscartsw/gcompsw that supports TTL?

All signals pass just find through the SCARTCleaner, it's just the LPF that's only helpful at 15KHz. If you oversample with your Datapath card, you won't need to worry about that anyway:
https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/scart2dvi/
https://www.retrorgb.com/videocapture.html


Oh damn, I never knew that! Very good to know :)

https://www.cmple.com/dvi-a-male-to-vga ... apter-gold

I got one of these for my SCART2DVI, these little chodes are strangely hard to find - almost every dongle is a different gender on each side, usually DVI-I male to DE-15 female.
_________________
For CRTs, A/V gear, video games & more, be sure to check out my eBay!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:03 pm 



Joined: 23 Jun 2020
Posts: 2
Hi Superg
Will I get an email confirmation for my order or should I just expect it to arrive around the end of July? I only ordered a few days ago. (On the 22nd)

Thank you!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:13 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
radiomike31 wrote:
Hi Superg
Will I get an email confirmation for my order or should I just expect it to arrive around the end of July? I only ordered a few days ago. (On the 22nd)

Thank you!

PayPal transaction is an order confirmation, once I ship your unit you will get a tracking notification from paypal (by email).
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:34 pm 



Joined: 23 Jun 2020
Posts: 2
Superg
Thank you. And just confirming the order should ship around the end of July?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
radiomike31 wrote:
Superg
Thank you. And just confirming the order should ship around the end of July?

That's the plan but it will all depend on the manufacturer. So far everything is according to the plan.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:07 am 



Joined: 09 Jun 2020
Posts: 8
Hey SuperG,

My setup using your devices looks something like this:
(NTSC) NGC,PS2,XBOX & (PAL) Wii > GcompSW >(1) COMP2RGB >(2) OSSC
COMP2RGB > GscartSW
(NTSC) N64,SNES,DC > GscartSW >(1) CRT >(2) OSSC

I'm having an issue with colour balance with the COMP2RGB device into an EU consumer Trinitron (see more here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66074&start=41) and I've found that enabling Sync regeneration on my GscartSW seems to resolve the issue, but as a result seems to introduce a slight bit of horizontal image stability with for example, my NGC (official component cables).

EDIT: I have now discovered this instability issues appears NOT to be related to sync regen on the GscartSW and is more likely to be an issue with my CRT.

Do you have any info I can refer to around this feature (I took a look through this thread but couldn't really find what I was looking for)? My concern is that if I enable this feature as a "fix" for signals that have been converted from component, it also affects my Scart RGB sources, which all currently put out a nice, clean 75ohm CSYNC. Does "regenerating" sync universally in this way pose any image quality issues for those sources?

If so, is there anyway that I can add the sync regeneration stage after the CRT-bound output of my GscartSW by addition of some external Sync regeneration component (i.e. can I do what the GscartSW does with Sync externally, so that I don't need to enable it for everything?)

Thanks


Last edited by BigSplodge on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
BigSplodge wrote:
Hey SuperG,

My setup using your devices looks something like this:
(NTSC) NGC,PS2,XBOX & (PAL) Wii > GcompSW >(1) COMP2RGB >(2) OSSC
COMP2RGB > GscartSW
(NTSC) N64,SNES,DC > GscartSW >(1) CRT >(2) OSSC

I'm having an issue with colour balance with the COMP2RGB device into an EU consumer Trinitron (see more here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66074&start=41) and I've found that enabling Sync regeneration on my GscartSW seems to resolve the issue, but as a result seems to introduce a slight bit of horizontal image stability with for example, my NGC (official component cables).

Do you have any info I can refer to around this feature (I took a look through this thread but couldn't really find what I was looking for)? My concern is that if I enable this feature as a "fix" for signals that have been converted from component, it also affects my Scart RGB sources, which all currently put out a nice, clean 75ohm CSYNC. Does "regenerating" sync universally in this way pose any image quality issues for those sources?

If so, is there anyway that I can add the sync regeneration stage after the CRT-bound output of my GscartSW by addition of some external Sync regeneration component (i.e. can I do what the GscartSW does with Sync externally, so that I don't need to enable it for everything?)

Thanks

So, just to summarize if I get that right: you have some consoles plugged into gcompsw which is connected to gscartsw using comp2rgb e.g. gscartsw is the last in chain and you have a color issue on that CRT.
Some time ago I've read somewhere that some TV's are having a problem setting up color levels if sync amplitude differs from color component amplitude e.g. TTL sync but 75ohm terminated RGB. What sync regeneration does is that it normalizes sync amplitude and puts it exactly where it is in CVBS signal (sync pulses are negative). If that helps it could be your problem.
Next, sync regeneration shouldn't affect quality, it adds miniscule delay to the sync line. As a consequence you will get a slight shift in horizontal image position. What do you mean exactly by a horizontal image stability? Does it introduce some sort of jitter or it's just a shifted image? In general there shouldn't be any issues when using sync regeneration but I suggest not using it if not needed just because of that minimal image shift / processing delay. Check your other consoles, if you don't see anything weird (and you shouldn't) you can keep it on for everything. But sync regeneration will make it worse if you have any sync cleaner circuit inside your console SCART cables. RGC is usually good about marking that on the SCART connector.
External sync regeneration: another gscartsw just for that would be an overkill. My speculation is that all you need is just to bring down the sync amplitude. That can be done with simple resistor divider but it requires some DIY. Maybe other sync cleaners like sync strike are already doing that - I am not sure.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:41 pm 



Joined: 09 Jun 2020
Posts: 8
superg wrote:
So, just to summarize if I get that right: you have some consoles plugged into gcompsw which is connected to gscartsw using comp2rgb e.g. gscartsw is the last in chain and you have a color issue on that CRT.


Yes, that's exactly it

superg wrote:
Some time ago I've read somewhere that some TV's are having a problem setting up color levels if sync amplitude differs from color component amplitude e.g. TTL sync but 75ohm terminated RGB. What sync regeneration does is that it normalizes sync amplitude and puts it exactly where it is in CVBS signal (sync pulses are negative). If that helps it could be your problem.


Very interesting.

superg wrote:
Next, sync regeneration shouldn't affect quality, it adds miniscule delay to the sync line. As a consequence you will get a slight shift in horizontal image position. What do you mean exactly by a horizontal image stability? Does it introduce some sort of jitter or it's just a shifted image? In general there shouldn't be any issues when using sync regeneration but I suggest not using it if not needed just because of that minimal image shift / processing delay. Check your other consoles, if you don't see anything weird (and you shouldn't) you can keep it on for everything.


Anecdotally, I found that there was a sporadic, slight horizontal "wobble" to the image when I had the sync regeneration in play on the GscartSW using the NGC. Admittedly though, I've done nowhere near enough testing to say that this is conclusively down to my GscartSW, so let me do some more tests (perhaps capture some images/video) and come back to you.

EDIT: So I just realised that whenever I turn sync regeneration on or off, this particular set seems to take a while to fully stabilise the image (there is a 10-20 second period where the wobbling effect can be seen - perhaps as it's adjusting to the new csync signal). I've now also seen this occur with sync regeneration OFF, on a cold boot of the set however, so I think the issue is purely with the TV (failing or ageing caps perhaps?) and how quickly it can lock on to a sync signal. Therefore, I think it's fair to say at least that sync regeneration DOES NOT appear to be responsible for the image instability I've seen on this CRT. Sorry for any confusion, I've updated my original post so as not to cause anyone else any alarm.

superg wrote:
But sync regeneration will make it worse if you have any sync cleaner circuit inside your console SCART cables. RGC is usually good about marking that on the SCART connector.


I'm planning on picking up an NTSC PS1 at some point, for old time's sake and was going to partner it with an RGC CSYNC Scart cable. I believe that this uses a sync stripper of some kind, as PS1s don't natively output CYSNC as far as I know. Is this the sort of circuit you are saying will clash badly with Sync Regeneration on the GscartSW? If so, what are the consequences? Rolling image/distortion etc?

superg wrote:
External sync regeneration: another gscartsw just for that would be an overkill. My speculation is that all you need is just to bring down the sync amplitude. That can be done with simple resistor divider but it requires some DIY.


I did get some feedback from Mike Chi, via my reseller, which suggested it might be possible to perform a hardware mod, though no more information than that was provided. I have relatively poor electronics knowledge/experience (certainly compared to those that frequent these parts!) but I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and have modded all of my own consoles. I appreciate you are unlikely to be willing to guide anyone into potentially breaking their COMP2RGB, but do you (or anyone else) know the best path to find out if this is actually doable? I have a multi-meter, if that helps?! :)

EDIT: On this point, I just had a thought - could the resistor be added into the Scart cable that connects the COMP2RGB to my GscartSW? If so, that would leave the device untouched.

superg wrote:
Maybe other sync cleaners like sync strike are already doing that - I am not sure.


Interesting looking little device - thanks for this, I'll take a look


Last edited by BigSplodge on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1357
Location: US, MI
BigSplodge wrote:
I'm planning on picking up an NTSC PS1 at some point, for old time's sake and was going to partner it with an RGC CSYNC Scart cable. I believe that this uses a sync stripper of some kind, as PS1s don't natively output CYSNC as far as I know. Is this the sort of circuit you are saying will clash badly with Sync Regeneration on the GscartSW? If so, what are the consequences? Rolling image/distortion etc?

Nothing really bad will happen, it will just make the delay / horizontal image shift much worse.

BigSplodge wrote:
I did get some feedback from Mike Chi, via my reseller, which suggested it might be possible to perform a hardware mod, though no more information than that was provided. I have relatively poor electronics knowledge/experience (certainly compared to those that frequent these parts!) but I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and have modded all of my own consoles. I appreciate you are unlikely to be willing to guide anyone into potentially breaking their COMP2RGB, but do you (or anyone else) know the best path to find out if this is actually doable? I have a multi-meter, if that helps?! :)

It's hard to tell because I don't know the specifics of what has to be done. Multimeter won't help much, you will need an oscilloscope to make proper decisions. I mean in general I don't think that DIY is a way to go in your case. Did you ever consider any kind of gcvideo solution for your GameCube? There are couple options to get you a progressive RGBS and you will be able to connect it directly to gscartsw so that wouldn't go through any conversion.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:25 pm 



Joined: 09 Jun 2020
Posts: 8
superg wrote:
Nothing really bad will happen, it will just make the delay / horizontal image shift much worse.


Yeah, that makes sense I guess, as the sync signal is essentially being "regenerated" twice?

superg wrote:
It's hard to tell because I don't know the specifics of what has to be done. Multimeter won't help much, you will need an oscilloscope to make proper decisions. I mean in general I don't think that DIY is a way to go in your case.


You're probably right, I know just the wrong amount to place myself on the undesirable part of the Dunning-Kruger curve (i.e. enough to be dangerous!)

superg wrote:
Did you ever consider any kind of gcvideo solution for your GameCube? There are couple options to get you a progressive RGBS and you will be able to connect it directly to gscartsw so that wouldn't go through any conversion.


I have an EON GCHD MkII and an RGB scart cable, which looks great. I stupidly never thought about the ability for it to do a 480p RGBs mode though (my brain always assumes scart = 480i/576i max, when I realise that it's simply a connector and this limitation applies only to the equipment it connects to). So you might be right and this problem could perhaps be solved already! I'll take a look at what it can do.

However, I still need a solution for my NTSC XBOX & PS2 and PAL Wii, which are connected to the GcompSW. It might seem excessive, but I love having the option to play games that support 480p+ video modes, with 16:9 support, through my OSSC and those that only support 4:3/240p/480i through my CRT.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EvilMilkshake, Extrems, H6rdc0re, Link83, marqs, Opatus and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group