shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:03 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 171  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:12 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
6t8k wrote:
redhotsonic: trying something else in place of your Framemeister and seeing if the problem persists might be worth a shot.

It could be busted Framemeister audio input or PVM, if unplugging one of the devices helps it does look like some of the outputs puts a load on audio line and signal amplitude decreases, hence lower volume.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:12 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1782
redhotsonic wrote:
Well, it's quite possible, but it's a massive coincidence that both the GSCART and the GCOMP is doing it. So, maybe I'm doing something wrong?
...
*I have tried a straight connection to my monitor and my TV and the issue persists.

I'm not sure I understand that last part--straight connection meaning one connection to your PVM and the other directly to your TV, bypassing the Framemeister? Have you tried one output to the Framemeister and the other to your TV, eliminating the PVM but still using both outputs?

Since the PVM is mono, how do you do you have the audio wired there? Just the left or right channel connected? Both channels running into a stereo->mono mixer device? Bridging the left and right channels with a passive Y-adapter? One channel into the input and the other into the loop-out?

Probably more of a question for superg, but how is the audio handled on the output end of these switchers? Passively split to both outputs, or separately gated?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2018
Posts: 12
nmalinoski wrote:
Since the PVM is mono, how do you do you have the audio wired there? Just the left or right channel connected? Both channels running into a stereo->mono mixer device? Bridging the left and right channels with a passive Y-adapter? One channel into the input and the other into the loop-out?


Aha! You've found the issue. So my PVM has one of these: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/ste ... ter-2-to-1

I took the audio jacks out of the adapter (so now no audio in the PVM), and viola, both outputs are giving stereo sound. Thank you, this is a sigh of relief. I'm glad it's something that cost me £3 that's the issue and not the £200 switcher :)

So... how do I get mono sound into my PVM without it affecting the GSCARTSW? :|


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
nmalinoski wrote:
Probably more of a question for superg, but how is the audio handled on the output end of these switchers? Passively split to both outputs, or separately gated?

Audio is very straightforward, two stereo channels go separately through two multiplexers and on the multiplexer output. Audio is low impedance signal and there isn't really much to tell about it. There are no any filters installed, you get it exactly as is. If volume drops, something puts a load on it, that has to be mitigated as soon as possible not to damage the switch. Also I really hope redhotsonic doesn't use Y splitter to "combine" stereo to mono because that would compete.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:33 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
redhotsonic wrote:
I took the audio jacks out of the adapter (so now no audio in the PVM), and viola, both outputs are giving stereo sound. Thank you, this is a sigh of relief. I'm glad it's something that cost me £3 that's the issue and not the £200 switcher :)

So... how do I get mono sound into my PVM without it affecting the GSCARTSW? :|

Oh, inb4 you can never do that. You can use Y for splitting the signal but not to combine, it's not as simple as that. I'm glad the switches aren't damaged. Connect only one channel to PVM and you get mono.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
Matt32 wrote:
Hoo baby. Got my GCompSW and all I can think is to channel Indiana Jones: "It's beautiful!"

I currently have three consoles going in and two cables out, one to my CRT and one to a USB capture card. On the CRT, I notice (regardless of console) a very faint horizontal band that travels slowly up the screen. It's easy to miss, it becomes more evident when the screen is dark. Was not the case before.

I'm going to play around with some theories. My component cable that feeds the CRT is an old one from RadioShack - who knows, maybe that's the problem (a shielding thing?). Is there anything with the power I should be looking or tweaking? I'm using the power plug that it shipped with, and plugging into a bulky 8-outlet power strip.

Super nice product.

98% it's your component cable, get a good one.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2019
Posts: 410
Location: BW, Germany
redhotsonic wrote:
So... how do I get mono sound into my PVM without it affecting the GSCARTSW? :|

Glad it was just the Y-adapter!

For what it's worth, I have only connected the left channel (white cable) to my PVM, the red cable dangling.
I only use this for being able to quickly check the audio of mono sources like arcade PCBs, for actual listening I use the 3.5mm jack of the OSSC in passthru mode connected to a dedicated set of active speakers.

Not exactly sure right now, but to me it looks like you'd need a dedicated, powered device to mix stereo down to mono for your use case.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:40 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
6t8k wrote:
Not exactly sure right now, but to me it looks like you'd need a dedicated, powered device to mix stereo down to mono for your use case.

Yeah but that mono speaker is not of very high quality. Most people go with active stereo speakers setup, I'd say PVM/BVM sound is mainly for testing things, when it comes to quality it's better to use something else.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2018
Posts: 12
6t8k wrote:
For what it's worth, I have only connected the left channel (white cable) to my PVM, the red cable dangling.


Yeah, but now the ring is on and off lol.

Although a set of speakers are not a bad idea. I will have to go down that route.


6t8k wrote:
redhotsonic: trying something else in place of your Framemeister and seeing if the problem persists might be worth a shot.


About my Framemeister, I believe it's a loose wire. Right now it has been working for a long time, but if I move it a bit, it goes haywire. I've now got it working again and I haven't dared budge it XD

As soon as the OSSC Pro gets released, I'm buying it.

Thanks everyone for your fast responses and help. My next video will be mono but at least I know for the future. Much appreciate ^_^


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:29 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1782
redhotsonic wrote:
So... how do I get mono sound into my PVM without it affecting the GSCARTSW? :|

Most economical solution is probably to avoid the PVM and instead route the audio to a set of powered speakers. That will get you far better audio, and in stereo, for not a lot of money (assuming you don't already have something lying around).

If you absolutely need combined stereo into the PVM, you'll need some kind of audio device that can actually downmix stereo to mono, not just bridge the channels together like that passive adapter.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:04 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2018
Posts: 12
Well, even if I did get active speakers, that would solve the RGB input from the Gscart, but that still leaves the component audio hanging. Trying to see if there is an active multiple audio input device that outputs 1 (like a 3in1 thing, composite audio, RGB audio and Component audio into 1) that then goes into the active speakers.

Anyway, I'm derailing the topic now! Thanks for the help, all!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:08 am 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1782
redhotsonic wrote:
Well, even if I did get active speakers, that would solve the RGB input from the Gscart, but that still leaves the component audio hanging. Trying to see if there is an active multiple audio input device that outputs 1 (like a 3in1 thing, composite audio, RGB audio and Component audio into 1) that then goes into the active speakers.

Anyway, I'm derailing the topic now! Thanks for the help, all!

You should be able to get active speakers with multiple inputs. The 2.1 setup I'm using now, although quite dated at this point, has two 3.5mm TRS inputs and mixes the two together, so there's no switching or other hardware involved.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
I remember some people asked about toslink, I have one switch user who uses this: https://www.pimfg.com/product-detail/TTA-1424 and it works for him well, for this price point and auto switching I find this very appealing.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:48 am 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2017
Posts: 524
Location: Bellevue, Washington, USA
For SPDIF I use one of these and it works great. Not quite as economical as the one you linked. But 7 mixed coax and optical ports is useful. And you can also get an integrated DAC to get analog stereo back out.

I have it configured along with a ADC such that I automatically get native SPDIF from consoles that support it. And analog from consoles that don't. Layout here
_________________
My gaming setup for automatic switching (with product links)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
DirkSwizzler wrote:
For SPDIF I use one of these and it works great. Not quite as economical as the one you linked. But 7 mixed coax and optical ports is useful. And you can also get an integrated DAC to get analog stereo back out.

I have it configured along with a ADC such that I automatically get native SPDIF from consoles that support it. And analog from consoles that don't. Layout here

Speaking of SPDIF - did you try to forward it using let's say gcompsw yellow RCA or even Audio Left / Right RCA? There is high chance that it will work, it's just I'm constantly distracted and don't have a device / time to test this.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2017
Posts: 524
Location: Bellevue, Washington, USA
superg wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:
For SPDIF I use one of these and it works great. Not quite as economical as the one you linked. But 7 mixed coax and optical ports is useful. And you can also get an integrated DAC to get analog stereo back out.

I have it configured along with a ADC such that I automatically get native SPDIF from consoles that support it. And analog from consoles that don't. Layout here

Speaking of SPDIF - did you try to forward it using let's say gcompsw yellow RCA or even Audio Left / Right RCA? There is high chance that it will work, it's just I'm constantly distracted and don't have a device / time to test this.


I have not tried this. I assumed it was a completely different spec that would be potentially dangerous to run through the gcompsw blindly. And that the higher bitrates might run across edge shaping problems (forgive my layman terminology).

That, and I already needed to mix optical sources with coax. And the tindie switch does that for me without needing converters for each optical source.
_________________
My gaming setup for automatic switching (with product links)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
DirkSwizzler wrote:
I have not tried this. I assumed it was a completely different spec that would be potentially dangerous to run through the gcompsw blindly. And that the higher bitrates might run across edge shaping problems (forgive my layman terminology).

That, and I already needed to mix optical sources with coax. And the tindie switch does that for me without needing converters for each optical source.

Got it. But it's perfectly safe to try, if somebody else decide so.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:05 am 



Joined: 24 Feb 2020
Posts: 8
Question for superg:

I was ready to order the gcompsw (im from Canada) and on the paypal checkout it was saying regular delivery at 23$ based on my postal code. I was wondering why it doesnt say shipped with tracking as indicated on your website.

I you confirm that delivery to Canada with the 23$ is tracked then I will pass the order.

Regards,


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:26 pm 



Joined: 24 Feb 2020
Posts: 8
Hello Superg,

I would like to pass a order for the gcompsw but on the paypal form it says: standard delivery at 23$ for Canada. Can you confirm it does have tracking?

Thanks


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:27 pm 



Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 171
Does anybody know of any cables that work to connect a MiSTeR to the gScartSW?

Can I just buy a 'generic' DB15 (male, from the MiSTeR) to a SCART (male) for the gScartSW?

Has anybody done this before?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
sofakng wrote:
Does anybody know of any cables that work to connect a MiSTeR to the gScartSW?

Can I just buy a 'generic' DB15 (male, from the MiSTeR) to a SCART (male) for the gScartSW?

Has anybody done this before?

Don't buy generic "VGA to SCART" cable from ebay, those are for TV projectors and pinout is totally different.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:51 am 



Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 171
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean 'cheap' when I said generic. I would never buy those cheapo ebay cables. I've been buying from RetroGamingCables and I thought about Insurrection Industries maybe (since they are US based).

I'm just not sure if capacitors are required on the RGB lines, etc.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:22 am 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
sofakng wrote:
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean 'cheap' when I said generic. I would never buy those cheapo ebay cables. I've been buying from RetroGamingCables and I thought about Insurrection Industries maybe (since they are US based).

I'm just not sure if capacitors are required on the RGB lines, etc.

Oh, got it :). People purchased these cables from ebay in the past, that's why I'm making sure.
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:39 am 



Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 171
Yeah, I don't blame you .. thanks for the reply though!

It seems like not too many people sell good quality cables...


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:59 pm 



Joined: 20 Aug 2019
Posts: 19
#%@$@%@!!! I dragged my butt ordering a scart switch and wham! I'm crushed. If the delay is of the virus.. I'm guessing I'll never see stock again.

And I even watched a ebay action end with a v5.1 and a ossc 1.5 at $300. Could of used the ossc as well as I have a 1.6 but want a 1.5 haha. Was thinking $237 was cheaper.
:/

Guess I'll have to continue swapping scart cables.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:53 pm 



Joined: 20 Aug 2019
Posts: 19
And I just realized the maker lives in my state! Haha.. super slap to me.

Got anything older laying around I can use?

Whstever.. grabbed a version 3.2 off ebay.. maybe better as I can also use the Sony FW900 if needed via vga to bnc if needed. Using this with a custom scart cable to RGB on my
Sony kv-25xbr.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:42 am 



Joined: 20 Aug 2019
Posts: 19
OK where do I grab a good male to male scart cable?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:22 pm 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 483
eclypse wrote:
OK where do I grab a good male to male scart cable?


This works for short runs:
amazon.com/KabelDirekt-Multiple-Shieldings-Precision-Connector/dp/B01DYELZXE

This is a better overall cable, assuming the solder doesn't break. Mine broke:
https://retro-access.com/collections/sc ... itch-boxes

I would go with this personally:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sca ... ory_id=104


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 1375
Location: US, MI
I was too fast stating out of stock for gcompsw, I still have around 10 units or so grab yours if you need it now.
(too lazy to change 1st post and store pages)
_________________
Looking for some PSX discs: https://tinyurl.com/vxj7hqq


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:01 pm 



Joined: 20 Aug 2019
Posts: 19
ldeveraux wrote:
eclypse wrote:
OK where do I grab a good male to male scart cable?


This works for short runs:
amazon.com/KabelDirekt-Multiple-Shieldings-Precision-Connector/dp/B01DYELZXE

This is a better overall cable, assuming the solder doesn't break. Mine broke:
https://retro-access.com/collections/sc ... itch-boxes

I would go with this personally:
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sca ... ory_id=104



Thanks for the info.. yeah I just ordered the one from amazon as I was looking at it last night anyways. $17 much cheaper then $30 for a foot from the other place. Plus i dont have to wait long.. though if their is a problem I'll be ordering the other!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 171  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Extrems, Google [Bot], Gunstar, Kez and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group