gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DirkSwizzler

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by DirkSwizzler »

tusecsy wrote:...despite what one delusional sycophant in the thread may think of me personally.
A fair assessment if your perception is limited to your own local sphere.

What I think you (and many others) fail to realize is that awesome projects like this are hanging by the thinnest thread of developer goodwill. Literally the day that superg gets tired of it is the day new units stop shipping.

In my opinion, anyone attempting to erode developer goodwill is attacking the entire community. I'd much rather you direct your negativity at me than someone doing actual good for the community.

And I happened to believe your question was phrased antagonistically. It's not the first time you've been salty about gscartsw preorders
superg

Post by superg »

tusecsy wrote:So you do have an ETA for when the preorder is gonna come through or are you just gonna take peoples money and not give one?
You realize that's it's usually you who derail the thread, right? :)
ldeveraux wrote:I'd also like an straight forward answer if possible!
Here is what I posted a few replies back:
superg wrote:Later this week I'll update the terms and post more details about how I will be manufacturing these.
Maybe I didn't word it right but I will define everything pre-order related on gretrostuff order page like I usually do. Turnaround time is similar to what it was before, 2 months but first I will a small batch to double check everything, I might expedite that, it all depends on manufacturer's quote.
I'm on vacation currently, that's why I haven't posted all the info yet.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

superg wrote:
tusecsy wrote:So you do have an ETA for when the preorder is gonna come through or are you just gonna take peoples money and not give one?
You realize that's it's usually you who derail the thread, right? :)
ldeveraux wrote:I'd also like an straight forward answer if possible!
Here is what I posted a few replies back:
superg wrote:Later this week I'll update the terms and post more details about how I will be manufacturing these.
Maybe I didn't word it right but I will define everything pre-order related on gretrostuff order page like I usually do. Turnaround time is similar to what it was before, 2 months but first I will a small batch to double check everything, I might expedite that, it all depends on manufacturer's quote.
I'm on vacation currently, that's why I haven't posted all the info yet.
Cool so 3-4 months minimum then (like it was a couple years ago). Got it.

If it takes too long I'll just cancel my preorder when i feel like it, that's fine. I know how the small batch video game world works. Thank god for credit cards.

You gonna limit purchases then since it's a preorder or can we order more than 1? Are you planning on taking preorders for a set amount of time or is there still a limited amount of sales you're gonna shoot for?
Last edited by tusecsy on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
tusecsy wrote:...despite what one delusional sycophant in the thread may think of me personally.
A fair assessment if your perception is limited to your own local sphere.

What I think you (and many others) fail to realize is that awesome projects like this are hanging by the thinnest thread of developer goodwill. Literally the day that superg gets tired of it is the day new units stop shipping.

In my opinion, anyone attempting to erode developer goodwill is attacking the entire community. I'd much rather you direct your negativity at me than someone doing actual good for the community.

And I happened to believe your question was phrased antagonistically. It's not the first time you've been salty about gscartsw preorders
Nobody cares about your opinion, sorry.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

tusecsy wrote:Nobody cares about your opinion, sorry.
The system works :D
superg

Post by superg »

tusecsy wrote: Cool so 3-4 months minimum then (like it was a couple years ago). Got it.
If it takes too long I'll just cancel my preorder when i feel like it, that's fine. I know how the small batch video game world works. Thank god for credit cards.
I can also cancel your pre-order when I feel like it. Probably will save me a lot of trouble later. In fact I might cancel it the moment you'll put it in, your probably deserve it.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

superg wrote:
tusecsy wrote: Cool so 3-4 months minimum then (like it was a couple years ago). Got it.
I can also cancel your pre-order when I feel like it. Probably will save me a lot of trouble later. In fact I might cancel it the moment you'll put it in, your probably deserve it.
K i'll order through a friend then, thanks for the heads up :)

any answer to the questions?

You gonna limit purchases then since it's a preorder or can we order more than 1? Are you planning on taking preorders for a set amount of time or is there still a limited amount of sales you're gonna shoot for?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

tusecsy wrote:If it takes too long I'll just cancel my preorder when i feel like it, that's fine.
tusecsy wrote:K i'll order through a friend then, thanks for the heads up :)
You do realize these actions constitute fraud, right?
xwred5

Post by xwred5 »

Looking forward to the preorders. The collection has grown too large for a single switch.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
tusecsy wrote:If it takes too long I'll just cancel my preorder when i feel like it, that's fine.
you heard it here first folks. cancelling a preorder is FRAUD!!!

also having your friend buy something for you.....FRAUD!!

gtfo kid
Llortus

Post by Llortus »

Thanks for the update superg, and keep up the great work!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

tusecsy wrote:you heard it here first folks. cancelling a preorder is FRAUD!!!
You have expressed that you plan to back out of a contract and cause material harm to superg. Count #1

SuperG has expressed that this in unacceptable and doesn't want to do business with you.
Using an alias to bypass this expressed restriction such that you can continue to back out of a contract and, again, cause material harm to superg. Count #2

I mean, chances are that you won't get caught. But, dude, shady much?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

tusecsy wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:
you heard it here first folks. cancelling a preorder is FRAUD!!!

gtfo kid
@DirkSwizzler may have been right, you are just being antagonistic at this point. It's like any small project on the internet, the creator will get to it when he gets to it. Though I think his track record probably speaks for itself; this isn't an alpha release of a random product.

Personally I just wanted to know what lead time I could expect, and I got that answer. I've not been on Shmups for that long and missed the first batches. So this absurd, ranting attack is all yours...
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
tusecsy wrote:you heard it here first folks. cancelling a preorder is FRAUD!!!
You have expressed that you plan to back out of a contract and cause material harm to superg. Count #1

SuperG has expressed that this in unacceptable and doesn't want to do business with you.
Using an alias to bypass this expressed restriction such that you can continue to back out of a contract and, again, cause material harm to superg. Count #2

I mean, chances are that you won't get caught. But, dude, shady much?
A preorder isn't a contract, nice try though.

Stick to your day job kid. I think all that rogaine is going to your brain.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

ldeveraux wrote: @DirkSwizzler may have been right, you are just being antagonistic at this point. It's like any small project on the internet, the creator will get to it when he gets to it. Though I think his track record probably speaks for itself; this isn't an alpha release of a random product.

Personally I just wanted to know what lead time I could expect, and I got that answer. I've not been on Shmups for that long and missed the first batches. So this absurd, ranting attack is all yours...
All I did was ask questions. Everything else is on baldy.
airco

Post by airco »

... Anyway. I've been on the fence about getting one of these, but since I still have an OSSC 1.5, is there any way it can handle audio passthrough without a corresponding video signal? I know there are RCA -> SCART converters, but the gscartsw switches on detecting a sync signal and won't have a default input anymore, so that wouldn't work, right? Are there any other options?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

airco wrote:... Anyway. I've been on the fence about getting one of these, but since I still have an OSSC 1.5, is there any way it can handle audio passthrough without a corresponding video signal? I know there are RCA -> SCART converters, but the gscartsw switches on detecting a sync signal and won't have a default input anymore, so that wouldn't work, right? Are there any other options?
Maybe you could clarify what you want to do with the gscartsw? If you are not intending to use it for RGB video I think it is the wrong switch for you.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications

Post by 729 »

Looking forward for the pre-orders to open up. Been wanting to get one of these for a while to complement the OSSC and whatever consoles I have without constantly going into the back and switching things around.

Any recommendations on Male-Male SCART cables I should pickup? Would like to utilize both outputs (one going into the OSSC and the other into the female breakout on my PVM).
airco

Post by airco »

the Goat wrote:
airco wrote:... Anyway. I've been on the fence about getting one of these, but since I still have an OSSC 1.5, is there any way it can handle audio passthrough without a corresponding video signal? I know there are RCA -> SCART converters, but the gscartsw switches on detecting a sync signal and won't have a default input anymore, so that wouldn't work, right? Are there any other options?
Maybe you could clarify what you want to do with the gscartsw? If you are not intending to use it for RGB video I think it is the wrong switch for you.
I mostly want it as a SCART switcher, but I also want to pass audio through the OSSC for VGA/Component sources, which on the 1.5 basically means routing it through SCART. It might not be necessary, per se, but I'd appreciate the versatility.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

tusecsy wrote:A preorder isn't a contract
Except it quite literally is

And threatening to have your credit card issuer act on your behalf to back out of it is demonstrable proof that you know it is.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
tusecsy wrote:A preorder isn't a contract
Except it quite literally is

And threatening to have your credit card issuer act on your behalf to back out of it is demonstrable proof that you know it is.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/art ... ms-faq1488

Your hallucination is noted.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

PayPal's terms of service are a completely separate contract.

In light of this term in their agreement. I would advise SuperG to sell hand drawn doodles in lieu of a preorder.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

729 wrote:Any recommendations on Male-Male SCART cables I should pickup? Would like to utilize both outputs (one going into the OSSC and the other into the female breakout on my PVM).
If you're in the US and on a budget, I recommend this Kabeldirekt 10-footer, although I've been told the 6-footer is better because it's shorter, although it's twice as expensive as the 10-footer, and I've never noticed any quality loss. (You could very well have someone chop it into two or three shorter cables.) The only problem I've really had with it is that it's a very stiff cable, and you might have trouble with it lifting your OSSC.

If you have some money to spend, the best cable you can get is a multi-core coax cable. If you're in the US, buy from Retro-Access, or, if you're in the UK, buy from Retro Gaming Cables. Or buy from either regardless of your location.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

nmalinoski wrote:
729 wrote:Any recommendations on Male-Male SCART cables I should pickup? Would like to utilize both outputs (one going into the OSSC and the other into the female breakout on my PVM).
If you're in the US and on a budget, I recommend this Kabeldirekt 10-footer, although I've been told the 6-footer is better because it's shorter, although it's twice as expensive as the 10-footer, and I've never noticed any quality loss. (You could very well have someone chop it into two or three shorter cables.) The only problem I've really had with it is that it's a very stiff cable, and you might have trouble with it lifting your OSSC.

If you have some money to spend, the best cable you can get is a multi-core coax cable. If you're in the US, buy from Retro-Access, or, if you're in the UK, buy from Retro Gaming Cables. Or buy from either regardless of your location.
I have 4 of those Kabeldirekt 10ft SCART cables and I wouldn't recommend them. I did a direct comparison with a similar cable from retro-access.com and it produced wavy static moving north to south. I had a SNES (also with retro access SCART cable) connected to a Bandridge switch, then to my OSSC. You could use them in a pinch, which is why I originally bought them, but I would definitely go with a higher quality shielded cable from either Retro Access or Retro Gaming Cables (I have 3 on order!). I think you get what you pay for in this instance...
superg

Post by superg »

ldeveraux wrote: I have 4 of those Kabeldirekt 10ft SCART cables and I wouldn't recommend them. I did a direct comparison with a similar cable from retro-access.com and it produced wavy static moving north to south. I had a SNES (also with retro access SCART cable) connected to a Bandridge switch, then to my OSSC. You could use them in a pinch, which is why I originally bought them, but I would definitely go with a higher quality shielded cable from either Retro Access or Retro Gaming Cables (I have 3 on order!). I think you get what you pay for in this instance...
I think cable length is the issue. I use some of these here but shorter, 6 or 5ft, I don't remember exactly but I can definitely say that these are good enough, I don't get any artifacts or static moving.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

superg wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: I have 4 of those Kabeldirekt 10ft SCART cables and I wouldn't recommend them. I did a direct comparison with a similar cable from retro-access.com and it produced wavy static moving north to south. I had a SNES (also with retro access SCART cable) connected to a Bandridge switch, then to my OSSC. You could use them in a pinch, which is why I originally bought them, but I would definitely go with a higher quality shielded cable from either Retro Access or Retro Gaming Cables (I have 3 on order!). I think you get what you pay for in this instance...
I think cable length is the issue. I use some of these here but shorter, 6 or 5ft, I don't remember exactly but I can definitely say that these are good enough, I don't get any artifacts or static moving.
I wish I'd thought of that before I ordered from the UK then... :roll:
Jester

Post by Jester »

Is there going to be any audio out from the switch or are we gonna need an scart audio breakout cable before connecting it to our PVM ?

Hope the new _lite version has some sort of audio out cos it'll make my setup way tidier.

Cheers :roll:
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Jester wrote:Is there going to be any audio out from the switch or are we gonna need an scart audio breakout cable before connecting it to our PVM ?

Hope the new _lite version has some sort of audio out cos it'll make my setup way tidier.

Cheers :roll:
SuperG's general plan in the past has always favored cutting features that would increase unit cost and would not be useful to the majority of users. I believe an audio out falls into this category.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

superg would it be possible to outline what's new with the upcoming gscartsw (differences between the gscartsw_lite 1.0) on the first page of this thread? Or somewhere else easy to locate? I *think* I know what's coming in the new version, but would be good to confirm without trawling through the thread comments.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

I can confirm this, those Kabeldirekt cables although sturdy looking and heavy duty, definitely introduce video noise and audio buzz in the longer length versions. I was using a 16' version for a pretty long run to a CRT and had to return the cable to Amazon due to excessive video noise. I did have one of the 6' versions though and I'm fairly sure it was ok. They must be susceptible to interference due to only using an overall outer shield and not separate shielding on each wire.
I've since switched to short RGC packapunch male-male cables and they've been pretty solid, although not cheap.