gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
beast1x5

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by beast1x5 »

djcalle wrote:Hi.

Sorry if this has been posted already, I am having an issue with a gscartlite using an OSSC:

Neo Geo AES would not display a picture on the OSSC when plugged through a gscartlite.
It displays a picture fine through the gscart out to a CRT.
Other consoles work fine through the gscart through to OSSC

I have tried different cables (sync on composite) with same results.

Neo plugged in directly into ossc, green led and picture displays fine

Neo pluuged through gscart, no picture and red LED.

I have not contacted the OSSC support team yet as it works without the gscart.

Any ideas?
Sync OPT. > H-PLL Post-Coast 2 lines
Sync OPT. > Hsync Tolerance 8.30us
djcalle

Post by djcalle »

superg wrote:
djcalle wrote:Hi.

Sorry if this has been posted already, I am having an issue with a gscartlite using an OSSC:

Neo Geo AES would not display a picture on the OSSC when plugged through a gscartlite.
It displays a picture fine through the gscart out to a CRT.
Other consoles work fine through the gscart through to OSSC

I have tried different cables (sync on composite) with same results.
Any ideas?
Tried CSYNC/OFF toggle, changes anything?
It looks like the signal is detected by OSSC and the frequencies are the same in the second pic. Do you get black screen all the time?
Thanks for the reply! yes indeed, turning off sync regenerations works
djcalle

Post by djcalle »

beast1x5 wrote: Sync OPT. > H-PLL Post-Coast 2 lines
Sync OPT. > Hsync Tolerance 8.30us
Thanks! It did allow for a picture to display with sync regeneration on but was quite wobbly, image is stable with sync regeoffneration
beast1x5

Post by beast1x5 »

yeah the signal for the neo geo aes and MVS are wonky but i hope those settings helped out
Figbash

Post by Figbash »

Hi all, I'm running a GSCARTSW_Lite with 12 consoles just fine, but my RGB modded N64 refuses to automatically switch. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this, and if a replacement cable might help? I don't know much about the RGB mod on it. It works fine directly to an OSSC and to a PVM 2530 and an Ikegami, so I know it's working fine. I'm fairly sure the mod is CSYNC, but I'm not sure how to tell for certain, would the OSSC tell me somewhere?

Is there no way to manually force the lite to switch to a port? I was reading that port 8 on the non-lite is always active if nothing else is, which would be perfect, but it doesn't seem to be the case on the lite.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Figbash wrote:Is there no way to manually force the lite to switch to a port? I was reading that port 8 on the non-lite is always active if nothing else is, which would be perfect, but it doesn't seem to be the case on the lite.
The port 8 behavior was more of a bug than a feature, and that was 'corrected' with the introduction of the lite.

There -is- a way to switch ports, but it requires soldering a header to the EXT vias and designing and building your own switching mechanism. It should also be noted that this input overriding functionality is being dropped for the Sync-on-Green-capable gscartsw model that's slated to come out later this year.
superg

Post by superg »

Figbash wrote:Hi all, I'm running a GSCARTSW_Lite with 12 consoles just fine, but my RGB modded N64 refuses to automatically switch. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this, and if a replacement cable might help? I don't know much about the RGB mod on it. It works fine directly to an OSSC and to a PVM 2530 and an Ikegami, so I know it's working fine. I'm fairly sure the mod is CSYNC, but I'm not sure how to tell for certain, would the OSSC tell me somewhere?

Is there no way to manually force the lite to switch to a port? I was reading that port 8 on the non-lite is always active if nothing else is, which would be perfect, but it doesn't seem to be the case on the lite.
You have to figure out what's wrong with it. Here I have two N64, one with viletim n64rgb and the other one with simple rgb board from videogameperfection. Both are working fine using SNES-US CSYNC SCART cable (both console revisions are earlier so CSYNC circuit is intact). First of all open SCART cable and see whether it has anything inside.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

Hi guys, I have a problem with my gscartsw v3.4 I am hoping to get some help with. I use my GroovyMAME PC with a VGA to SCART cable that I modified by figuring out which pin on the SCART end corresponded to pin 13 (H-SYNC) on the VGA end and then moving that pin to pin 20 on the SCART end (my video card is configured to output composite sync through CRT Emudriver). With this cable I am able to use the PC on my PVM and also on consumer CRT sets with the Shinybow SB-2840 SCART to component converter. When using it with the gscart, it's inconsistent. Most times it works ok, but other times I get a dim/distorted picture with (if I remember correctly) horizontal likes going across the screen. When this happens, If I unplug the SCART cable from the gscart with the PC still on, and re-seat it, the picture clears up and all is good. Any ideas? I'm I missing some sort of voltage signal or something?
Figbash

Post by Figbash »

Shoot, my CSYNC retrogamingcables SNES cable doesn't work with the N64 at all even not on the switch, so it must not be directly wired for it. It sounds like RGC's N64 CSYNC cable has a sync separator circuit to produce CSYNC from pin 9 sync over composite, I guess I will try that out.

Thanks for the help!
superg

Post by superg »

Yardley wrote:Hi guys, I have a problem with my gscartsw v3.4 I am hoping to get some help with. I use my GroovyMAME PC with a VGA to SCART cable that I modified by figuring out which pin on the SCART end corresponded to pin 13 (H-SYNC) on the VGA end and then moving that pin to pin 20 on the SCART end (my video card is configured to output composite sync through CRT Emudriver). With this cable I am able to use the PC on my PVM and also on consumer CRT sets with the Shinybow SB-2840 SCART to component converter. When using it with the gscart, it's inconsistent. Most times it works ok, but other times I get a dim/distorted picture with (if I remember correctly) horizontal likes going across the screen. When this happens, If I unplug the SCART cable from the gscart with the PC still on, and re-seat it, the picture clears up and all is good. Any ideas? I'm I missing some sort of voltage signal or something?
No, voltage on pin 8 / 16 is not needed, the detection is performed on sync. Be careful with what you do as there is no input protection in gscartsw_lite, TTL sync has to be properly attenuated with resistor.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

superg wrote:
Yardley wrote:Hi guys, I have a problem with my gscartsw v3.4 I am hoping to get some help with. I use my GroovyMAME PC with a VGA to SCART cable that I modified by figuring out which pin on the SCART end corresponded to pin 13 (H-SYNC) on the VGA end and then moving that pin to pin 20 on the SCART end (my video card is configured to output composite sync through CRT Emudriver). With this cable I am able to use the PC on my PVM and also on consumer CRT sets with the Shinybow SB-2840 SCART to component converter. When using it with the gscart, it's inconsistent. Most times it works ok, but other times I get a dim/distorted picture with (if I remember correctly) horizontal likes going across the screen. When this happens, If I unplug the SCART cable from the gscart with the PC still on, and re-seat it, the picture clears up and all is good. Any ideas? I'm I missing some sort of voltage signal or something?
No, voltage on pin 8 / 16 is not needed, the detection is performed on sync. Be careful with what you do as there is no input protection in gscartsw_lite, TTL sync has to be properly attenuated with resistor.
Any idea what could be causing my problem? I have v3.4 by the way.
superg

Post by superg »

Yardley wrote: Any idea what could be causing my problem? I have v3.4 by the way.
As I've said it can be non attenuated TTL sync. Do you have sync line resistor in your SCART cable?
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

superg wrote:
Yardley wrote: Any idea what could be causing my problem? I have v3.4 by the way.
As I've said it can be non attenuated TTL sync. Do you have sync line resistor in your SCART cable?
No it’s just a very simple scart cable no resistors. I’m new to all of this but I will look into it. Is there a specific resistor you would recommend?
superg

Post by superg »

Yardley wrote:
superg wrote:
No it’s just a very simple scart cable no resistors. I’m new to all of this but I will look into it. Is there a specific resistor you would recommend?
There is no universal solution, it has all to be measured and calculated. If you want to do it yourself you should really read technical documentation.
One thing for sure is that you shouldn't connect the current cable to the switch or you'll fry it. Google about TTL, 75ohm terminated sync.
Yardley

Post by Yardley »

superg wrote: There is no universal solution, it has all to be measured and calculated. If you want to do it yourself you should really read technical documentation.
One thing for sure is that you shouldn't connect the current cable to the switch or you'll fry it. Google about TTL, 75ohm terminated sync.
Thanks I will look into it.
superg

Post by superg »

I'm opening the new gscartsw pre-orders in a week from now, August 27. As always, it will be available through gretrostuff.com, later this week I'll update the terms and post more details about how I will be manufacturing these. This is technically a continuation of gscartsw_lite but not to confuse everybody even more I will be calling it gscartsw (v5.1).
beast1x5

Post by beast1x5 »

aww yeah excitement!!!
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Oh yeah!

Question: is this going to be rush-to-be-on-time-to-get-one? Or can we be relaxed and also order the 28th?
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
superg

Post by superg »

waiwainl wrote:Oh yeah!

Question: is this going to be rush-to-be-on-time-to-get-one? Or can we be relaxed and also order the 28th?
I will keep it open for quite a while given that people are willing to wait.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

double post, delete
Last edited by tusecsy on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

superg wrote:
waiwainl wrote:Oh yeah!

I will keep it open for quite a while given that people are willing to wait.
how long will we have to wait for preorders to come in then. i thought you were against them?
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

tusecsy wrote:...
*writes a prescription for chill pills*
Lux

Post by Lux »

This new reply notification better work well in a week !
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
i think it's a pretty reasonable question considering we will have to pay up front i assume. there is such a thing as credit card interest. you don't get to just take peoples money without any kind of time frame and then blame the customer for not being patient. all of the reasons he hasn't done preorders in years still hold true, so it's appropriate that he address these concerns.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

*taps prescription script*
superg

Post by superg »

tusecsy wrote:
DirkSwizzler wrote:
i think it's a pretty reasonable question considering we will have to pay up front i assume. there is such a thing as credit card interest. you don't get to just take peoples money without any kind of time frame and then blame the customer for not being patient. all of the reasons he hasn't done preorders in years still hold true, so it's appropriate that he address these concerns.
Oh man, just don't start it.
I don't have extra money to fund it myself this time, that's why.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

superg wrote:
So you do have an ETA for when the preorder is gonna come through or are you just gonna take peoples money and not give one?

Pretty basic question, despite what one delusional sycophant in the thread may think of me personally.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
*taps prescription script*
*taps rogaine script*
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

tusecsy wrote:
superg wrote:
So you do have an ETA for when the preorder is gonna come through or are you just gonna take peoples money and not give one?

Pretty basic question, despite what one delusional sycophant in the thread may think of me personally.
I'd also like an straight forward answer if possible!