gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by fernan1234 »

I guess these are our standards.

It took 11 months from pre-order to delivery for my PSIO. Sounds like this will take 6-7 months. So yeah, at least not as bad as that.
Dopefish

Post by Dopefish »

Took me 15 months to receive my PSIO, and I just got my console back from modding this week. Perfect timing for Xmas!
zionfarm

Post by zionfarm »

Good day fine Chaps,

I finally got a great deal for a V3.4 Gscartsw from the OSSC / Framemeister group on Face Book. Got it from a guy in the UK. My question is he doesn't own the US plug end that goes into the PSU that is supplied from Gscart himself.

I was wondering if anybody knew what the plug end is called so I could get one on Amazon? Also is there a way to tell which one is the V3.4, & the V3.0 or is it all internal work done? By the way big shout out to Steve McGarr on the FB group for giving me the opportunity to purchase one from him.

V/r
Kelly
superg

Post by superg »

superg wrote:
Dazdigo wrote:I was in the same boat with my PSIO. I am used to waiting a long time on nitch products. As long as I am on the wait list, I am happy.
I'm still waiting for my PSIO :)
fernan1234 wrote:I guess these are our standards.

It took 11 months from pre-order to delivery for my PSIO. Sounds like this will take 6-7 months. So yeah, at least not as bad as that.
Funny that 30 minutes after I posted this I got an email that my PSIO is getting ready to ship.
zionfarm wrote:Good day fine Chaps,

I finally got a great deal for a V3.4 Gscartsw from the OSSC / Framemeister group on Face Book. Got it from a guy in the UK. My question is he doesn't own the US plug end that goes into the PSU that is supplied from Gscart himself.

I was wondering if anybody knew what the plug end is called so I could get one on Amazon? Also is there a way to tell which one is the V3.4, & the V3.0 or is it all internal work done? By the way big shout out to Steve McGarr on the FB group for giving me the opportunity to purchase one from him.

V/r
Kelly
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5023722 - this is the universal power supply that I used to bundle v3.4 with. The plug connector is called 2.1 barrel plug.
DoctorPoo

Post by DoctorPoo »

Just got my Gscart 5.1 in the mail. Thanks, SuperG!
superg

Post by superg »

DoctorPoo wrote:Just got my Gscart 5.1 in the mail. Thanks, SuperG!
Yeah, those from the first sub batch should reach everybody before Christmas.
DoctorPoo

Post by DoctorPoo »

Just hooking it up and there were some sync issues with SNES and Genesis. Solved by flipping the first dip switch. Is there an explanation of the 4 switches somewhere?
superg

Post by superg »

DoctorPoo wrote:Just hooking it up and there were some sync issues with SNES and Genesis. Solved by flipping the first dip switch. Is there an explanation of the 4 switches somewhere?
Oh, I have yet to add that. Functions were explained on the order page though.
1. sync regeneration (default off)
2. sync on green compensation (default on)
3. reserved
4. turn off LED
If (1) helped you it means that something isn't up to the spec.
Llortus

Post by Llortus »

Just got mine a little over an hour ago. I was pretty excited going in, but just assumed it was going to be mere convenience and nothing more. I underestimated how incredibly liberating it is to not have to mess with cables or buttons anymore. I was going down my line of consoles one-by-one, turning them on and off for testing purposes, and the simplicity of it all was extremely satisfying.

Thanks superg, was well worth the wait.
Soundwave GI

Post by Soundwave GI »

Pre-ordered pretty early, haven’t received any info outside of the initial delay and my e-mail replies go unanswered and my questions about which batch I was in never got approved for pushing on this thread. I imagine this message will be in limbo as well.
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

Just got my new 5.1 and was curious about something. I have a 3.4 and my plan was to daisy-chain the 5.1 off of that because I'm using the 1/8" audio jack on the 3.4 and I didn't want to add a breakout box to the mix.

I originally plugged the 5.1 output into the first input port on the 3.4 (the one closest to the output port) but judging by the picture there was no sync signal being output. No combination of toggle/dip switch positions on either the 5.1 or the 3.4 would resolve the problem. What's more, even without an active input or anything even plugged in on the 5.1 as long as it was still plugged into port 1 of the 3.4, there was no sync signal on anything still plugged into the 3.4. When I moved the output of the 5.1 to any other port on the 3.4 everything worked fine.

This was an easy enough problem to sort out, but I'm kind of curious why the two switches would behave that way in that configuration.
Lux

Post by Lux »

The pictures above make me want to see some pics of the new units. Anyone ? :)
superg

Post by superg »

samson7point1 wrote:Just got my new 5.1 and was curious about something. I have a 3.4 and my plan was to daisy-chain the 5.1 off of that because I'm using the 1/8" audio jack on the 3.4 and I didn't want to add a breakout box to the mix.

I originally plugged the 5.1 output into the first input port on the 3.4 (the one closest to the output port) but judging by the picture there was no sync signal being output. No combination of toggle/dip switch positions on either the 5.1 or the 3.4 would resolve the problem. What's more, even without an active input or anything even plugged in on the 5.1 as long as it was still plugged into port 1 of the 3.4, there was no sync signal on anything still plugged into the 3.4. When I moved the output of the 5.1 to any other port on the 3.4 everything worked fine.

This was an easy enough problem to sort out, but I'm kind of curious why the two switches would behave that way in that configuration.
The first input on v3.4 is not the closest to the output but the opposite. At least that's how it's enumerated internally and on EXT port.
That port is enabled "by default" when nothing is detected. Can't think of anything which would prevent such a functionality.
The only thing coming to my mind is how many sync cleaners are active in your configuration. What console did you use to test? Is your display connected to the VGA output or SCART?
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

superg wrote:
samson7point1 wrote:Just got my new 5.1 and was curious about something. I have a 3.4 and my plan was to daisy-chain the 5.1 off of that because I'm using the 1/8" audio jack on the 3.4 and I didn't want to add a breakout box to the mix.

The first input on v3.4 is not the closest to the output but the opposite. At least that's how it's enumerated internally and on EXT port.
That port is enabled "by default" when nothing is detected. Can't think of anything which would prevent such a functionality.
The only thing coming to my mind is how many sync cleaners are active in your configuration. What console did you use to test? Is your display connected to the VGA output or SCART?
Using SCART for video out. Tested with Neo Geo AES, Genesis Model 1, And a Supergrafx via SSDS3. Result was the same.
superg

Post by superg »

samson7point1 wrote: Using SCART for video out. Tested with Neo Geo AES, Genesis Model 1, And a Supergrafx via SSDS3. Result was the same.
I will have to try my v3.4. I usually test lite unit because that's the most used version.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

I like how everyone is comparing the wait time on this (7 months and likely longer), to the absolute worst case scenario. As if that's a good thing. Fact is this guy promised everyone 1.5 months turnaround, and didn't even have a working prototype when he did. If you're gonna purchase one of these you're better off just ordering 1 when/if they finally come in. All this for a 50$ price increase....sad.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

tusecsy wrote:I like how everyone is comparing the wait time on this (7 months and likely longer), to the absolute worst case scenario. As if that's a good thing. Fact is this guy promised everyone 1.5 months turnaround, and didn't even have a working prototype when he did. If you're gonna purchase one of these you're better off just ordering 1 when/if they finally come in. All this for a 50$ price increase....sad.
Yes, tusecsy. You are 100% correct. Thank you for enlightening us. Now please leave.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
comp1demon

Post by comp1demon »

tusecsy wrote:I like how everyone is comparing the wait time on this (7 months and likely longer), to the absolute worst case scenario. As if that's a good thing. Fact is this guy promised everyone 1.5 months turnaround, and didn't even have a working prototype when he did. If you're gonna purchase one of these you're better off just ordering 1 when/if they finally come in. All this for a 50$ price increase....sad.
Dude you are the worst here. All you do is complain and criticize. I usually never go off on people. I held my tongue long enough.
SuperG is a straight up dude. If anyone was disappointed they easily could ask for a refund.
The Rest of us are patiently waiting for ours. It is not a big deal.
Most of the Retro Gaming stuff has months and months wait usually.

UltraHDMI waited 8 months.
PSIO waited 15 months.
SSDS3 waited 5 months.
GDEMU - waited 2 months for a window to open, bought one, waited 2 weeks for invoice and 6 weeks for delivery.
USBGDROM - waited 1 month for invoice, 1 month to ship 2 months to get delivered.
RetroTink2X - waited 3 months.
Shenmue 3 (kickstarter) still waiting should have been out over 6 months ago, won't launch will Aug 2019 (3+ years waiting).
Tusecsy attitude to change - Waiting indefinitely.
zionfarm

Post by zionfarm »

Lux wrote:The pictures above make me want to see some pics of the new units. Anyone ? :)
I agree brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zionfarm

Post by zionfarm »

superg wrote:
superg wrote:
Dazdigo wrote:I was in the same boat with my PSIO. I am used to waiting a long time on nitch products. As long as I am on the wait list, I am happy.
I'm still waiting for my PSIO :)
fernan1234 wrote:I guess these are our standards.

Funny that 30 minutes after I posted this I got an email that my PSIO is getting ready to ship.
zionfarm wrote:Good day fine Chaps,

V/r
Kelly
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/5023722 - this is the universal power supply that I used to bundle v3.4 with. The plug connector is called 2.1 barrel plug.
Thanks for the heads up brother. Oh by the way. I loved your interview you did with Bob from RetroRGB.

samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

zionfarm wrote:
Lux wrote:The pictures above make me want to see some pics of the new units. Anyone ? :)
I agree brother.

Here's the 5.1

And Here it is installed next to it's older brother - the 5.1 is on the right.
Last edited by samson7point1 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admiral_Darkbar

Post by Admiral_Darkbar »

Hey guys, I've been contemplating grabbing a Commodore Amiga. Thing is, I'm not sure what exactly it outputs (I'm actively researching). Will the Amiga have any troubles connecting through the new gscart to my pvm? Anything I should know or be prepared for?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Admiral_Darkbar wrote:Hey guys, I've been contemplating grabbing a Commodore Amiga. Thing is, I'm not sure what exactly it outputs (I'm actively researching). Will the Amiga have any troubles connecting through the new gscart to my pvm? Anything I should know or be prepared for?
I have used my Amigas (CD32 & A1200) with my gscartsw no problem. Amigas output 15KHz video in RGBs via a male 23 pin D-sub socket (the CD32 needs an adapter from the expansion port to a 23 pin video socket). You can get an Amiga 23 pin video to SCART cable. Most sellers cut down a female 25 pin D-sub connector to fit into the 23 pin socket. That makes for an ugly plug on the end of the cable. But you don't see that part once it is plugged in.

Also keep in mind the Amiga can output many different video modes. Your monitor may or may not sync to all of them.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
Aero-R

Post by Aero-R »

superg wrote:I've sent an email to everybody who pre-ordered the switch about the current status and firmware delay. Basically the aggregated information I post here because not everybody is checking this topic.

In addition to that I've sent another email to everybody who is in the first sub-batch.
Hello superg,

Late my reply but, was that email sent to all the ones who preordered, or only to the 1st batch ones? I paid for the item maybe on the first 3 mins after the preorder was opened. I was worried about the possibility of this email being sent to everyone because in my case I have not received it. Thanks in advance for your time & support superg!
superg

Post by superg »

Aero-R wrote:
superg wrote:I've sent an email to everybody who pre-ordered the switch about the current status and firmware delay. Basically the aggregated information I post here because not everybody is checking this topic.

In addition to that I've sent another email to everybody who is in the first sub-batch.
Hello superg,

Late my reply but, was that email sent to all the ones who preordered, or only to the 1st batch ones? I paid for the item maybe on the first 3 mins after the preorder was opened. I was worried about the possibility of this email being sent to everyone because in my case I have not received it. Thanks in advance for your time & support superg!
There were two emails, one to everybody and the other one only to those who were in the first sub batch. You would clearly knew if you're in the first sub batch. Every time I open the orders there is a peak in the first minute and it's crazy fast. It's all those people who were waiting for it to open. I see 1 second between orders.
zionfarm

Post by zionfarm »

samson7point1 wrote:
zionfarm wrote:
I agree brother.

Here's the 5.1

And Here it is installed next to it's older brother - the 5.1 is on the right.
Hey brother can you reupload the photos. I have tried on two platforms and still can’t see the photos.

MSKhaos

Post by MSKhaos »

Has anyone used a MiSTer with the gscartsw lite? I found retro access sells a rgb scart cable for it but I want to make sure I wont damage anything before I buy it.

https://retro-access.com/products/miste ... 8816348211
samson7point1

Post by samson7point1 »

zionfarm wrote: Hey brother can you reupload the photos. I have tried on two platforms and still can’t see the photos.

Google is so picky... I've updated the original post with new links which should now be working.
Stendal

Post by Stendal »

Hey superg, I missed the first run of your gcompsw and have been eagerly awaiting the next batch, and it looks like you're making good progress so I hopefully won't be waiting long. I do have a couple of questions though.
  • 1) Is the new 8:2 model going to be the sole model of the gcompsw going forward, or will you still be offering the 4:1 model?
  • 2) If the former, what's the price point looking at? I personally would have a hard time finding more than 4 component systems to plug in, and while I wouldn't mind shelling out a little more for the 8:2 model, I'd hate to pay a ton more for ports that I'm probably never going to use.
Other than that, keep on rolling. I'm excited to finally get a gcompsw and look forward to what other projects you might eventually cook up! :mrgreen:
zionfarm

Post by zionfarm »

samson7point1 wrote:
zionfarm wrote: Hey brother can you reupload the photos. I have tried on two platforms and still can’t see the photos.

Google is so picky... I've updated the original post with new links which should now be working.

It is working now thanks brother.