gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guspaz

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Guspaz »

Yes, make sure to tell him that you want to connect the output of your PVM into a RGB2COMP converter.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Just took a look at the gretrostuff site, it has gscartsw listed as v5.3, but the picture (and this thread's OP) lists v5.2.

Was there actually a gscartsw v5.3? And if so what were the changes compared to v5.2?
superg

Post by superg »

djc5166 wrote:Just took a look at the gretrostuff site, it has gscartsw listed as v5.3, but the picture (and this thread's OP) lists v5.2.

Was there actually a gscartsw v5.3? And if so what were the changes compared to v5.2?
I didn't update pics but all the info is updated to v5.3
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

superg wrote:
djc5166 wrote:Just took a look at the gretrostuff site, it has gscartsw listed as v5.3, but the picture (and this thread's OP) lists v5.2.

I didn't update pics but all the info is updated to v5.3
Sorry I should have said, I own the v5.2 already.

It probably is a stupid question. I was just trying to see what the incremental differences were with v5.3. I would guess nothing I need to care about anyways. I looked back in the thread but its kind of hard to search for. Sounds like maybe the USB power connector is just reinforced now?
superg

Post by superg »

djc5166 wrote:
superg wrote: It probably is a stupid question. I was just trying to see what the incremental differences were with v5.3. I would guess nothing I need to care about anyways. I looked back in the thread but its kind of hard to search for. Sounds like maybe the USB power connector is just reinforced now?
Nothing quality related. Basically sturdier through hole MicroUSB connector and better audio protection, switch now acts like TV, brings down audio amplitude and using an amplifier on output. (doesn't fix SUPERGUN)
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

superg wrote:
djc5166 wrote:
superg wrote: It probably is a stupid question. I was just trying to see what the incremental differences were with v5.3. I would guess nothing I need to care about anyways. I looked back in the thread but its kind of hard to search for. Sounds like maybe the USB power connector is just reinforced now?
Nothing quality related. Basically sturdier through hole MicroUSB connector and better audio protection, switch now acts like TV, brings down audio amplitude and using an amplifier on output. (doesn't fix SUPERGUN)
Thanks for the info!
KentaZX

Post by KentaZX »

Apologies if this was asked before, but considering it has a micro usb connector, is it possible I could plug it into a surge protector usb port? therefore, saving an outlet space?
superg

Post by superg »

KentaZX wrote:Apologies if this was asked before, but considering it has a micro usb connector, is it possible I could plug it into a surge protector usb port? therefore, saving an outlet space?
Should be possible. However depends on a surge protector, I remember somebody had some interference powering from the surge protector. Just plug it in and use if you don't see any issues.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Hi all,

I need some help with getting 480p working from my PS2 via SCART. I have the latest revision gscartsw with all dip switches in the default UP position. When I load Beyond Good & Evil and attempt to enable progressive mode my screen just goes blank. I thought the latest gscartsw fixed this problem. Do I need to set DIP switches a certain way?

Thank you,
mario64
superg

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote:Hi all,

I need some help with getting 480p working from my PS2 via SCART. I have the latest revision gscartsw with all dip switches in the default UP position. When I load Beyond Good & Evil and attempt to enable progressive mode my screen just goes blank. I thought the latest gscartsw fixed this problem. Do I need to set DIP switches a certain way?

Thank you,
mario64
Should work. How is it connected to the TV?
Also try DIP 2 to on, some monitors want sync on green compensation.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote:Hi all,

Thank you,
mario64
Should work. How is it connected to the TV?
Also try DIP 2 to on, some monitors want sync on green compensation.
Thanks superg. Signal path is PS2 -> gscartsw -> RetroTINK 5x Pro -> Denon AVR -> Samsung Q60R 4k TV
superg

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote: Thanks superg. Signal path is PS2 -> gscartsw -> RetroTINK 5x Pro -> Denon AVR -> Samsung Q60R 4k TV
Hmm, interesting, RetroTINK 5x is a new product, don't own it currently and can't test :(.
Do you have any other way to test it? PVM / analog TV / OSSC / XRGB?
Sync on green conversion just works, there was no issues so far, DIP 2 controls green sync compensation, also maybe there is a way to tell RetroTINK 5x to use the sync off green channel?
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote: Thanks superg. Signal path is PS2 -> gscartsw -> RetroTINK 5x Pro -> Denon AVR -> Samsung Q60R 4k TV
Hmm, interesting, RetroTINK 5x is a new product, don't own it currently and can't test :(.
Do you have any other way to test it? PVM / analog TV / OSSC / XRGB?
Sync on green conversion just works, there was no issues so far, DIP 2 controls green sync compensation, also maybe there is a way to tell RetroTINK 5x to use the sync off green channel?
I can try with OSSC yes. Also, if it matters, my SCART cable is the csync version from Retrogamingcables. Does it matter which input I use?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The RT5X supports only 75 ohm terminated luma or composite video or buffered/attenuated CSYNC on pin 20. It does not support TTL csync (which may result in damage) or sync-on-green. Cables with sync strippers should be avoided as they are both unnecessary and may not have the 470 ohm resistor necessary to attenuate sync.
Last edited by Guspaz on Sun May 30, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superg

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote: I can try with OSSC yes. Also, if it matters, my SCART cable is the csync version from Retrogamingcables. Does it matter which input I use?
csync cable can actually contribute to the problem, there is no native csync output from PS2 so the cable is using sync separator internally. CVBS / luma sync would be better.
As long as it's gscartsw v5.2 or v5.3 it doesn't matter which input is used.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote: I can try with OSSC yes. Also, if it matters, my SCART cable is the csync version from Retrogamingcables. Does it matter which input I use?
csync cable can actually contribute to the problem, there is no native csync output from PS2 so the cable is using sync separator internally. CVBS / luma sync would be better.
Shoot. I was afraid of that. Let me see if I have a luma cable. Btw, OSSC doesn’t work either
superg

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote: Shoot. I was afraid of that. Let me see if I have a luma cable. Btw, OSSC doesn’t work either
Well I would not rule out game incompatibility if some special video mode is used. Never tried beyond good & evil on PS2, can I enable progressive in options?
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote: Shoot. I was afraid of that. Let me see if I have a luma cable. Btw, OSSC doesn’t work either
Well I would not rule out game incompatibility if some special video mode is used. Never tried beyond good & evil on PS2, can I enable progressive in options?
Sure can yes. That's what I've been doing. As soon as I enable it I lose signal. OSSC shows "no sync" when this happens.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

mario64 wrote:
superg wrote:
Sure can yes. That's what I've been doing. As soon as I enable it I lose signal. OSSC shows "no sync" when this happens.
http://dansprojects.com/ps2sync.html

I have this mod on my PS2's, and a similar mod on my PS1's. No extra sync circuits in the cable are needed this way.

I have not have any issues with the created attenuated CSYNC output on the retrotink5x/ossc/framemeister or the gscartsw.

I don't think the RT5X or the Framemeister supports SOG at all. PS2 drops all sync pins in 480p mode afaik (without the above mod in place)

For OSSC, it does support SOG, but you have to change the input to the AV1 RGsB setting. You will get no picture with AV1 RGBs while the PS2 is in 480p.

How does the gscartsw sync on green compensation work? Is it just a sync stripper on the G line?
Also not sure how the gscartsw auto-selection works with a SOG source. I think it looks for the sync line to decide what to output.
superg

Post by superg »

djc5166 wrote: I don't think the RT5X or the Framemeister supports SOG at all. PS2 drops all sync pins in 480p mode afaik (without the above mod in place)
How does the gscartsw sync on green compensation work? Is it just a sync stripper on the G line?
Also not sure how the gscartsw auto-selection works with a SOG source. I think it looks for the sync line to decide what to output.
gscartsw v5.2+ extracts sync from green and puts it to composite sync, standard thing as everything else. Compensation setting removes sync from green so only color values remain.
Auto detection is performed on both green and sync line, if sync on any is detected, the input is forwarded.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

superg wrote:
djc5166 wrote: I don't think the RT5X or the Framemeister supports SOG at all. PS2 drops all sync pins in 480p mode afaik (without the above mod in place)
gscartsw v5.2+ extracts sync from green and puts it to composite sync, standard thing as everything else. Compensation setting removes sync from green so only color values remain.
Auto detection is performed on both green and sync line, if sync on any is detected, the input is forwarded.
Good to know. I never actually turned on the compensation myself so I wasn't sure, I guess I compensated on the console already :D
superg

Post by superg »

djc5166 wrote: Good to know. I never actually turned on the compensation myself so I wasn't sure, I guess I compensated on the console already :D
The compensation is not really needed except cases where monitor doesn't properly calibrate color levels. You would knew if you need it.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:
You were right. I grabbed an old PS1 luma cable, removed the RGB capacitors then tested it out. Works just fine. The csync circuit in the cable was messing it up. Thanks for the help
superg

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote: You were right. I grabbed an old PS1 luma cable, removed the RGB capacitors then tested it out. Works just fine. The csync circuit in the cable was messing it up. Thanks for the help
Oh, very good!
KentaZX

Post by KentaZX »

superg wrote:
KentaZX wrote:Apologies if this was asked before, but considering it has a micro usb connector, is it possible I could plug it into a surge protector usb port? therefore, saving an outlet space?
Should be possible. However depends on a surge protector, I remember somebody had some interference powering from the surge protector. Just plug it in and use if you don't see any issues.
Just tested the ossc and NES out with a random micro usb cable I have and tried it plugging it in my computer and surge protector. I can confirmed it works. I cant confirm if its giving out additional noise or not yet since even if connected the system directly to the OSSC only, I have some noise/ interference going on and cant tell if its either the PSU (official NES one), the scart cable (SNES since the nes has a multi out port), csync, or if my it needs to be recapped. Image
Tomdominer

Post by Tomdominer »

Hey gRetroStuff Store.

I am probably one of many, but I am starting to get worried about the progress of my gscartsw being posted to the UK. The UPS tracking number hasn't been updated since the 25th of April, and I am not sure who to contact about the parcel?

I realised you do say that some international shipping can take up to three months, but I have ordered (and received) two other products from the USA after ordering this and both have arrived, usually only taking a week from dispatch to door.

Is there anything I can do, apart from "sitting tight"?

Tom.
superg

Post by superg »

Tomdominer wrote:Hey gRetroStuff Store.

I am probably one of many, but I am starting to get worried about the progress of my gscartsw being posted to the UK. The UPS tracking number hasn't been updated since the 25th of April, and I am not sure who to contact about the parcel?

I realised you do say that some international shipping can take up to three months, but I have ordered (and received) two other products from the USA after ordering this and both have arrived, usually only taking a week from dispatch to door.

Is there anything I can do, apart from "sitting tight"?

Tom.
Shipping is ok right now but it seems they favor new shipments over older ones so these might be stuck for longer.
PM me your paypal transaction ID so I can see it. Postage is out of my control, if you don't receive it in 3 months window, I will have to fill a claim in the post office and refund you.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Question concerning the sync regeneration feature. I’ve been testing my consoles with the RetroTINK 5X Pro and have run across a couple which have issues. Specifically 3DO w/citrus3000 mod and consolized Virtual Boy. In both cases Mike tells me the mods output a slightly out of spec sync signal. I enabled sync regeneration but it made no difference. Shouldn’t this have fixed it?

Symptoms on the consolized Virtual Boy are that the picture jumps every second or so. 3DO symptoms are worse. Top of the picture is skewed and you see weird horizontal squiggling lines.

Thanks,
Mario
superg

Post by superg »

mario64 wrote:Question concerning the sync regeneration feature. I’ve been testing my consoles with the RetroTINK 5X Pro and have run across a couple which have issues. Specifically 3DO w/citrus3000 mod and consolized Virtual Boy. In both cases Mike tells me the mods output a slightly out of spec sync signal. I enabled sync regeneration but it made no difference. Shouldn’t this have fixed it?

Symptoms on the consolized Virtual Boy are that the picture jumps every second or so. 3DO symptoms are worse. Top of the picture is skewed and you see weird horizontal squiggling lines.
Sync regeneration corrects sync position, amplitude and strips pixel data from the sync signal. With an exception of very specific Sega Master System sync correction (DIP 3), no other fixes are performed due to the complexity. If sync regeneration didn't fix it, there is some problem in the sync pulses structure. Most likely Mike is right that the signal is out of spec.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

superg wrote:
mario64 wrote:Question concerning the sync regeneration feature. I’ve been testing my consoles with the RetroTINK 5X Pro and have run across a couple which have issues. Specifically 3DO w/citrus3000 mod and consolized Virtual Boy. In both cases Mike tells me the mods output a slightly out of spec sync signal. I enabled sync regeneration but it made no difference. Shouldn’t this have fixed it?

Sync regeneration corrects sync position, amplitude and strips pixel data from the sync signal. With an exception of very specific Sega Master System sync correction (DIP 3), no other fixes are performed due to the complexity. If sync regeneration didn't fix it, there is some problem in the sync pulses structure. Most likely Mike is right that the signal is out of spec.
Thanks for the clarification superg. Given that, is there any reason not to leave it on all the time?