gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
r3ddvil

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by r3ddvil »

superg wrote:
r3ddvil wrote: https://www.amazon.ca/Fosmon-Technology ... way&sr=8-3

What about something like this for just the Y/Green piped through the yellow video connector. Does the fact that its composite designed affect the signal transmission (I assume no since there's no processing).

In theory of coarse, since I don't expect you have tested this piece of hardware or setup.
I think this is pure mechanical switch, should work but it's overkill I'd say. I would take two RCA connectors, one male and one female and solder 1 pos switch in between.

Thanks again. You're probably right about the overkill, but for practical reasons I'll try the simplest approach first. Not owning a soldering iron or having every attempted such a task, for $12 I'll see if the shoe fits for now.

Cheers.
Heatermania

Post by Heatermania »

Good afternoon! It looks like my last post didn't go through. I recieved my GcompSW and am super excited to use it, but it does not power on. I've tried different plugs and cables. I was curious what the process is to ship it back for repair or replacement.

Thanks in advance!

Liam
LapinBeau

Post by LapinBeau »

Just received my compsw today. Very pretty, very well-made! Huge upgrade, no more Y-splitters! Lots of cables have been put away. :)

In fact, it's such an attractive little thing that I almost felt bad about ruining the look with dozens of wires!

Anyway, There's a problem... my Wii and Gamecube don't seem to work with it on my CRT television.

I am using a GCHD Mk II to connect my gamecube, using Wii component cables. I'm getting sound, but I'm not getting any picture. Same goes for the Wii. I tried switching out the cables, but the result is the same.

I don't have this issue on my old Samsung 720p flatscreen, just to be clear. It seems to work fine on that one, both for HDMI and Component. But I want to use my CRT!

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some sort of digital/analog signal incompatibility going on? Is there any way to fix this?

(I should also note that my NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and PS2 are all using HDRetroVision cables, and they are working perfectly with the gcompsw.)
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

LapinBeau wrote:Anyway, There's a problem... my Wii and Gamecube don't seem to work with it on my CRT television.

I am using a GCHD Mk II to connect my gamecube, using Wii component cables. I'm getting sound, but I'm not getting any picture. Same goes for the Wii. I tried switching out the cables, but the result is the same.
Does your CRT support 480p? I bet the Wii and GCN are outputting 480p and the CRT is 240p/480i only.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
LapinBeau

Post by LapinBeau »

the Goat wrote:
LapinBeau wrote:Anyway, There's a problem... my Wii and Gamecube don't seem to work with it on my CRT television.

Does your CRT support 480p? I bet the Wii and GCN are outputting 480p and the CRT is 240p/480i only.
I don't believe it does. I can't say for sure though. But I think it does support 480i.

In that case, how do I go about changing the resolution on the gamecube? And does the GCHD have any settings I ought to change?

I'll go try to change the Wii resolution now.

EDIT: Okay, the Wii works on the CRT now, thanks. :) No update on the GCN though, I'll keep fiddling with it unless you have any other info.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

LapinBeau wrote:
the Goat wrote:

I don't believe it does. I can't say for sure though. But I think it does support 480i.

In that case, how do I go about changing the resolution on the gamecube? And does the GCHD have any settings I ought to change?

I'll go try to change the Wii resolution now.

EDIT: Okay, the Wii works on the CRT now, thanks. :) No update on the GCN though, I'll keep fiddling with it unless you have any other info.
You need to use an IR remote to access the GCHD Mk ii menu. You can change 240p/480i/480p there.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
LapinBeau

Post by LapinBeau »

Yup, I just did that now. Turns out it was the "Line Doubler" on the GCHD that was causing issues. Everything's working perfectly now, thank you. :)
superg

Post by superg »

LapinBeau wrote:Yup, I just did that now. Turns out it was the "Line Doubler" on the GCHD that was causing issues. Everything's working perfectly now, thank you. :)
If it doesn't work directly, obviously it won't work through the switch. Personally I see no point of using GCHD on CRT which doesn't support 480p.
LapinBeau

Post by LapinBeau »

superg wrote:
LapinBeau wrote:Yup, I just did that now. Turns out it was the "Line Doubler" on the GCHD that was causing issues. Everything's working perfectly now, thank you. :)
If it doesn't work directly, obviously it won't work through the switch. Personally I see no point of using GCHD on CRT which doesn't support 480p.
Well the colors are more vivid, and the picture is a bit more clear using the GCHD with component cables, compared to using S-video or Composite. And it's definitely better than paying $500 for the fabled gamecube component cables.

The main reason I bought the gcompsw was so I could have all my systems running through one device, and to improve signal integrity by removing as many splitters as possible.

There's nothing wrong with your machine, SuperG, I got it all working, apologies if I offended. :(

Edit: My CRT supports 480i, but not 480p.
superg

Post by superg »

LapinBeau wrote: There's nothing wrong with your machine, SuperG, I got it all working, apologies if I offended. :(
Oh no, you did not!
GCVideo and all clones (GCHD) are a way to go for best possible GameCube signal but yes, you won't be able to enjoy 480p on your CRT.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

There's still a bit of an improvement to be had going from 480i s-video to 480i component/RGB from a GCHD Mk-II. Not so much if you have a PAL GameCube which already outputs 480i RGB.

I went ahead and grabbed the new 8:2 gcompsw to replace my old 4:1 gcompsw. I figure it's as good a time as any to move all my consoles over to HDRV component cables. Especially because I'm one of the HDRV retailers.
Last edited by Guspaz on Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannibal

Post by Cannibal »

Hi SuperG, I'm already placed an order for your gscartsw. I'm located in Italy so I hope that there will be no problem about customs.
One more question: what about the waiting time for shipping the item? Thanks!
LapinBeau

Post by LapinBeau »

I only have ONE problem now...

I don't know what to put in my last component slot. ;) Only thing that comes to mind is a PS1, or possibly my old Xbox. (the VERY first one) But then, I really don't have any good games for it, nor am I interested in the majority of their catalog.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I don't know what other seven consoles you have already, but here are some consoles that can be connected via component without any internal mods:

PS1
PS2
PS3
PSP
SNES
GameCube
Wii
Wii U
Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast (soon!)
Neo Geo
XBox
XBox 360
TG16/PCE
Jaguar
Lux

Post by Lux »

Lux wrote:French customs have my gcompsw since Friday. Unusual but let's see how it evolves.
Finally got it ! With 30 euros of custom tax.
DJ Kevgeez

Post by DJ Kevgeez »

Has anyone bought the little 3D printed wood pieces to screw it to the wall?
DJ Kevgeez

Post by DJ Kevgeez »

kousaka wrote:Got my gcompsw today and setup! Did a quick initial autodetection test and looks good so far.

Will be doing more extensive tests over the weekend.

I did find the plugs to be a bit tight. But after plugging/unplugging a few times it seems to be loosening up so might just need some breaking in. Just be careful when you first plug things in.

Where did you get those Component cables?
DJ Kevgeez

Post by DJ Kevgeez »

LapinBeau wrote:Still haven't received my comp switch yet.

Guess it takes a little longer to ship to Canada.
It does.
Be Patient.
kousaka

Post by kousaka »

I'm running hd retrovision cables on saturn, psx, rgb modded n64, wii, ps2 and official av pack on the original xbox.

The last two spots will probably be gamecube and dreamcast over component once those cables come out.
superg

Post by superg »

I printed shipping labels for every gscartsw unit ordered before July 24, everything will be dropped off Monday.
Didn't manage to pack the last few because I've unexpectedly ran out of power supplies. These were ordered and they should come in early next week. The orders made on July 24 and after will be shipped next week.

I have gscartsw and gcompsw units in stock!
LDigital

Post by LDigital »

I have an issue with my first purchased gscartw (with the vga out). Am I beyond any support or repair period?

It seems that the last two ports interfere with each other. If I have something in these ports both of them lose their red (the screen with whites has a cool blue tint to it, I think that’s when red is lost or is it green?) if I have only one port in use all is normal
superg

Post by superg »

LDigital wrote:I have an issue with my first purchased gscartw (with the vga out). Am I beyond any support or repair period?

It seems that the last two ports interfere with each other. If I have something in these ports both of them lose their red (the screen with whites has a cool blue tint to it, I think that’s when red is lost or is it green?) if I have only one port in use all is normal
Does it happen for any console? When you test these two ports, unplug everything else. What do you have connected, any superguns?
That does look like THS7374 amplifier damage.
cook99

Post by cook99 »

Huge thanks SuperG, my GComp arrived to Australia last week, it was the last piece of the puzzle having everything running to both CRT and LCD via OSSC / FM goes by 2 Gscarts and a Shineybow Scart2comp box.
Think I'm done tinkering now and can sit back and enjoy, thank you for your hard work and amazing products.
:D
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Apologies if this has already been asked before superg, but since its been recently mentioned I just wondered if you might ever consider changing the gcompsw/gscartsw switching logic? From what I understand its currently based on 'first detect', so whichever system is first turned on becomes the only system that will be detected, until its turned off.

Many HDMI switchers use a 'port priority' based switching system that automatically switches to the most recently powered on device, and when that device is turned off they revert back to the last powered on/active device. In other words they 'remember' the order in which the devices were turned on, and switch back to whichever device was last turned on (If its still active).

I completely understand if this is too complicated to implement, but just wondered what your thoughts were.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Link83 wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked before superg, but since its been recently mentioned I just wondered if you might ever consider changing the gcompsw/gscartsw switching logic? From what I understand its currently based on 'first detect', so whichever system is first turned on becomes the only system that will be detected, until its turned off.
I'm pretty sure the gscartsw uses port-priority logic, and that it's only the gcompsw line that uses first-detect. I, too, would be interested in seeing a gcompsw with port-priority logic (and TOSLINK I/O, and a more-enclosed case, but those are different issues).
Link83

Post by Link83 »

nmalinoski wrote:I'm pretty sure the gscartsw uses port-priority logic, and that it's only the gcompsw line that uses first-detect.
I thought I read that the latest gscartsw and gcompsw were going to use the exact same firmware? If not my mistake, but it would still be a nice feature for the gcompsw.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Link83 wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:I'm pretty sure the gscartsw uses port-priority logic, and that it's only the gcompsw line that uses first-detect.
I thought I read that the latest gscartsw and gcompsw were going to use the exact same firmware? If not my mistake, but it would still be a nice feature for the gcompsw.
That would be news to me. If you find a link to a post or something, feel free to share; otherwise, superg will have to clarify.
superg

Post by superg »

Link83 wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked before superg, but since its been recently mentioned I just wondered if you might ever consider changing the gcompsw/gscartsw switching logic? From what I understand its currently based on 'first detect', so whichever system is first turned on becomes the only system that will be detected, until its turned off.

Many HDMI switchers use a 'port priority' based switching system that automatically switches to the most recently powered on device, and when that device is turned off they revert back to the last powered on/active device. In other words they 'remember' the order in which the devices were turned on, and switch back to whichever device was last turned on (If its still active).

I completely understand if this is too complicated to implement, but just wondered what your thoughts were.
At this point I don't plan to change the logic, moreover, I don't plan to make any changes to both gscartsw and gcompsw. The project took me 5 years and I believe it has all the features I wanted.
Now back to the switching logic: I would love to have it as 'port priority' logic as you've described but the main reason is costs involved. Current method allows to share detection circuit between all ports. If I implement it the other way, either 'port priority' you describe or fixed priority like it was in gcompsw v3.4, I will have to install 8 adc / comparator / other detection elements (1 per port) and that would increase switch cost by another ~$50 in parts alone.
nmalinoski wrote: I'm pretty sure the gscartsw uses port-priority logic, and that it's only the gcompsw line that uses first-detect. I, too, would be interested in seeing a gcompsw with port-priority logic (and TOSLINK I/O, and a more-enclosed case, but those are different issues).
gscartsw v3.4 was the last version which supported port priority. Starting from gscartsw_lite (gscartsw v5.2 is essentially a newer gscartsw_lite) the detection circuit was changed. The same goes for gcompsw all versions, it's all 'first detected' method now.
superg

Post by superg »

nmalinoski wrote:
Link83 wrote:
That would be news to me. If you find a link to a post or something, feel free to share; otherwise, superg will have to clarify.
This is true, I wanted to do this and I think I mentioned it somewhere, but in the end it didn't make much sense as a lot of gscartsw firmware functionality would be redundant in gcompsw case (sync regeneration, sms fix, sog extraction and compensation).
Link83

Post by Link83 »

superg wrote:At this point I don't plan to change the logic, moreover, I don't plan to make any changes to both gscartsw and gcompsw. The project took me 5 years and I believe it has all the features I wanted.
Now back to the switching logic: I would love to have it as 'port priority' logic as you've described but the main reason is costs involved. Current method allows to share detection circuit between all ports. If I implement it the other way, either 'port priority' you describe or fixed priority like it was in gcompsw v3.4, I will have to install 8 adc / comparator / other detection elements (1 per port) and that would increase switch cost by another ~$50 in parts alone.
Thanks for the explanation superg :) I competely understand, and I would guess for most people it would not be worth paying an extra $50 just for 'port priority' switching.

<EDIT> I think you mentioned some years ago that you were hoping to make a small add-on board that would fit in the EXT port to allow manual switching with a button - I think that would be a nice optional extra to have available for people who have devices which are powered on 24/7 (Like PC's)
Last edited by Link83 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.