gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Uzumaki

Re: gscartsw / gscartsw_lite / gcompsw switches support thre

Post by Uzumaki »

superg wrote:
Uzumaki wrote:Sorry if this has been answered, but I didn't see it in the description. The latest revision supports component video passthru scart right? Does it autoswitch if a component source is turned on?
Yes, it will detect and pass through component source based on green sync.
Thanks. Is there an available or recommended component passthrough adapter?
superg

Post by superg »

RTKurek wrote:Superg, just wanted to say thanks for all the work you do to make these awesome devices. My gscartsw has worked flawlessly since the day I got it. I recently ordered a gcompsw as well and I'm excited to add it to my setup (never thought I would be excited about an AV switcher...)

I'm reaching the point where I have multiple devices in my setup powered using microUSB, and am looking into a good way to consolidate all the AC adapters. I thought about just buying a microUSB splitter cable and using that with the adapter that ships with the gscartsw, but I'm not sure if it could handle the additional amperage. I suppose I could also get a USB charging hub and plug multiple cables into that. Is there any chance of a cheapo USB hub adding noise?
Actually somebody reported a humming noise while using APC surge protector USB slot to power up gscartsw. I'd still say anything dedicated should work, phone charger, multi usb charger etc. Additional amperage is not a problem, switch won't draw more than needed. Just make sure you get something of a better quality.
Darkglobe1977

Post by Darkglobe1977 »

nmalinoski wrote:Retro Access used to offer a custom cable configurator that would have allowed you to configure a cable with DE-15 plus TRS on one end and SCART on the other, but I have no idea why they no longer have it in the Custom Cables section of their website (Instead it just says there are no products in that category).

You could try emailing them to see if they're still offering custom cables, or posting something in the WTB forum, or looking on eBay; though, if none of that pans out, you might need to make one yourself.
I emailed and they now have the custom cable section back, Before I order for my GSCART 3.4 DUSB to SCART cable can I check I am ordering the right configuration:

Source Connector

Video Connector - 15 Pin Dsub Male Pinout RGBS
Audio Connector - No audio
Destination Pinout - SCART

Many Thanks
superg

Post by superg »

Darkglobe1977 wrote: I emailed and they now have the custom cable section back, Before I order for my GSCART 3.4 DUSB to SCART cable can I check I am ordering the right configuration:

Source Connector

Many Thanks
That should do it I think.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Darkglobe1977 wrote:I emailed and they now have the custom cable section back, Before I order for my GSCART 3.4 DUSB to SCART cable can I check I am ordering the right configuration:

Source Connector

Many Thanks
Are you routing the audio seperately/directly? Just checking because you could have a a DSUB and 3.5mm jack to SCART cable, then you have the option of audio later should you need it?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Link83 wrote:
Darkglobe1977 wrote:I emailed and they now have the custom cable section back, Before I order for my GSCART 3.4 DUSB to SCART cable can I check I am ordering the right configuration:

Source Connector

Many Thanks
Are you routing the audio seperately/directly? Just checking because you could have a a DSUB and 3.5mm jack to SCART cable, then you have the option of audio later should you need it?
I would second getting the TRS plug for audio; if you later decide you want audio through this output, it's going to be way more convenient to just plug in the TRS plug to get audio than having to order another one of these cables that's wired for audio and then be stuck with one that isn't.
psychmill

Post by psychmill »

Hello--
First, I have been using the gwscart for almost a year and I absolutely love it.

And of course, I screw up anything I am in love with, and while upgrading my setup to include an Extron Crosspoint, the usb power input pulled off while being moved-- I foolishly had removed all my scart cables and forgot about the power source.

So, my questions is, what is the best course for repair? Is this a soldering job that I could find someone local to do? I am not the best at it (you can ask all my ruined gameboy micros). I am in the SoCal area, would it be more expeditious for me to find someone local to repair verses sending back?

Thank you again for such a great switch, which is the heart of my set up :)
Darkglobe1977

Post by Darkglobe1977 »

nmalinoski wrote:
Link83 wrote:

Source Connector

Many Thanks
I would second getting the TRS plug for audio; if you later decide you want audio through this output, it's going to be way more convenient to just plug in the TRS plug to get audio than having to order another one of these cables that's wired for audio and then be stuck with one that isn't.
Thanks for the heads up, I ordered with 3.5mm. Retro Access custom cable section is really handy!
superg

Post by superg »

psychmill wrote: So, my questions is, what is the best course for repair? Is this a soldering job that I could find someone local to do? I am not the best at it (you can ask all my ruined gameboy micros). I am in the SoCal area, would it be more expeditious for me to find someone local to repair verses sending back?
I prefer you to find somebody who can do the job. I'm quite busy with other stuff.
Dr.Robotron

Post by Dr.Robotron »

duplicate; disregard
Last edited by Dr.Robotron on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Robotron

Post by Dr.Robotron »

The USB port on my gscartsw broke lose, and I'd like to send it to you too see if you can repair it. It was originally purchased this summer. I'm aware that I'll need to pay shipping both ways and that it may not be able to be fixed. Maybe the next revision could have a barrel plug again?
Stendal

Post by Stendal »

Got my 8x2 gcompsw months ago and have been loving it, it's streamlined my setup in all of the best ways :D . As I've added a few new systems to my setup, I've been rereading some older forum pages on running S-Video out of the gcompsw and just have a few questions for anyone who's done a similar setup so I make sure I've got it all planned out before I start buying cables.

My current setup is Component systems>gcomp>OSSC>HDTV with additional Composite systems>gcomp>HDTV. My understanding is that you can rig S-Video to work by breaking it into 2 male RCA and throwing sync to either the green or yellow on the gcompsw. My questions are:

1) I've read you have to "match your output" with S-Video, I assume this means just match whatever you put sync on? So for example (and this is how it would work in my setup if I go this route) putting Y/sync on the composite line and putting C on Pb or Pr. Then outputting from the yellow (as that's where the sync is). Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?

2) I've also read you can reliably do S-Video and one other output (Component or Composite) but mixing the 3 will lead to some issues. Is my above example like to mess up my other composite systems from outputting correctly? Not a loss if so, just want to know what I'm getting into.

3) As a final check all, my system would be rigged up as System(S-video output)>S-Video breakout adapter>gcomp>HDTV(through the composite input). Is this sufficient?

Thanks in advance!
superg

Post by superg »

Stendal wrote: 1) I've read you have to "match your output" with S-Video, I assume this means just match whatever you put sync on? So for example (and this is how it would work in my setup if I go this route) putting Y/sync on the composite line and putting C on Pb or Pr. Then outputting from the yellow (as that's where the sync is). Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?
It's basically what you're saying.
Stendal wrote: 2) I've also read you can reliably do S-Video and one other output (Component or Composite) but mixing the 3 will lead to some issues. Is my above example like to mess up my other composite systems from outputting correctly? Not a loss if so, just want to know what I'm getting into.
If you mean connector sharing: Every connector have 4 video lines and 2 of those support sync detection. You can do any combination with two different source signals as long as you have enough lines left. For instance you can pair 1 composite (1 sync line) and 1 component (1 sync line and 2 other lines). Or one composite (1 sync line) and one s-video (1 sync line and 1 other line). However you can't pair component and s-video as there aren't enough lines for that.
If you mean in general (per switch), you can mix the signals but the main problem is that you're not supposed to split and combine any output RCA using adapters. As long as you keep to this rule it will be fine. Let's say you have component on port 1, s-video on port 2 and composite on port 3 - you utilize two switch outputs, take component / composite from output 1 and s-video from output 2. Hope that explains it a bit.
Stendal

Post by Stendal »

That helps a ton, thanks! S-Video here we come.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Stendal wrote:3) As a final check all, my system would be rigged up as System(S-video output)>S-Video breakout adapter>gcomp>HDTV(through the composite input). Is this sufficient?
I'm not entirely sure I follow the end part. If you have Y going through composite or green, and C through one of the other video lines, how are you planning to get those two signals out of the gcompsw and into the single composite input on your display? I don't think it's as simple as using a Y-adapter, like retrog said--you'd need some kind of decoder that can output YPbPr, like VGP's yet-to-be-released-what's-taking-so-long Koryuu, which you can just run into your gcompsw.
Stendal

Post by Stendal »

nmalinoski wrote: I'm not entirely sure I follow the end part. If you have Y going through composite or green, and C through one of the other video lines, how are you planning to get those two signals out of the gcompsw and into the single composite input on your display? I don't think it's as simple as using a Y-adapter, like retrog said--you'd need some kind of decoder that can output YPbPr, like VGP's yet-to-be-released-what's-taking-so-long Koryuu, which you can just run into your gcompsw.
You're right, looks like that might be a bust. Wonder if I can route it through the OSSC but I super doubt that'll work. Back to the drawing board.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Stendal wrote:
nmalinoski wrote: I'm not entirely sure I follow the end part. If you have Y going through composite or green, and C through one of the other video lines, how are you planning to get those two signals out of the gcompsw and into the single composite input on your display? I don't think it's as simple as using a Y-adapter, like retrog said--you'd need some kind of decoder that can output YPbPr, like VGP's yet-to-be-released-what's-taking-so-long Koryuu, which you can just run into your gcompsw.
You're right, looks like that might be a bust. Wonder if I can route it through the OSSC but I super doubt that'll work. Back to the drawing board.
No on the OSSC, because it doesn't understand Chroma from either S-Video/YC or composite video--you'd need to feed it YPbPr or some form of RGB. Like I said, you need a decoder, like the aforementioned and unavailable Koryuu, or a Kramer FC-4044 (I have one, worked a treat when I had it hooked up). If you don't need a zero-lag solution, you can use something like a Corio2 scaler (just stay away from anything labeled "Down Converter").
superg

Post by superg »

gscartsw switches arrived, I'm still waiting for the cases which should come next week.
I had some spare cases around so I've already started shipping but the most part will be shipped as soon as I get everything.
Hopefully most switches will reach the customer before holidays!
gcompsw are still in stock.
kinetic

Post by kinetic »

Hi superg,

I’ve been following this thread for a long time and at some point want to add scary/component switches to my setup but just wanted to ask if there is any way you could go back to the original DIN power socket for best durability instead of the newer usb type?

Thanks
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

Are these in stock at the moment if I place an order for shipping to the UK? Thanks
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

mremulator wrote:Are these in stock at the moment if I place an order for shipping to the UK? Thanks
Have you checked the product page on superg's site?
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

nmalinoski wrote:
mremulator wrote:Are these in stock at the moment if I place an order for shipping to the UK? Thanks
Have you checked the product page on superg's site?
Yea, but hasn't been updated since early October. so thought I'd ask before ordering an alternative. ;-)
superg

Post by superg »

mremulator wrote: Yea, but hasn't been updated since early October. so thought I'd ask before ordering an alternative. ;-)
Lol which alternative? :)
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

gcompsw? :P
superg

Post by superg »

kinetic wrote:Hi superg,

I’ve been following this thread for a long time and at some point want to add scary/component switches to my setup but just wanted to ask if there is any way you could go back to the original DIN power socket for best durability instead of the newer usb type?

Thanks
I thought about it actually but it's too late to change that I think.
gameygames

Post by gameygames »

Hi Superg (and everyone!)...first time ever posting anything on shmups. I'm far more a tech novice than seemingly...well...everyone else on shmups but I do try to follow some threads to at least get my head a bit around on things for my handful of retrogame consoles. A bit intimidating parsing through it all sometimes - but I'm tryin! So I apologize if this isn't the right place to ask something like this! But I only just started understanding my generic manual switcher is pretty garbage and came across superg's work. Awesome stuff and thank you for all the work for the community (even us novices).

Ok, to the point: like I said, I only have a handful of systems that would necessitate a gcompsw. So knowing I would never need 8 inputs like the new version...I was wondering if I could buy an original 4 input version gcompsw from anyone who's upgrading to the 8 input new version? Or if there's a way to get an original 4 input one otherwise still via superg's store. (Though I'm assuming sold out means that's that from that front...but $200 for the new ones vs $100 for the old ones seems worth I'd check!) Thanks again for all the effort for the community!
gameygames

Post by gameygames »

Hi superg!

First of all, thanks for all the effort you're putting into the community. This is my first time posting on shmups...I'm not as tech savvy to follow a lot of the threads on here - but I do my best to keep up with what's going on for my relatively meager retro gaming set up. I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, so apologies if so! I was wondering if there's any way to get a hold of the the gcompsw 1.1? Or maybe someone on this thread here upgrading to the 5.2 from their old one I could by your 1.1 from you? I know it says sold out on your website, so I'm assuming maybe buying from someone else would be the only potential. Like I said, my setup is more meager than a lot of the people on here - I just know I'll never have more than 2-3 consoles to need the 8 ports, and a lot easier on the bank account for the old one. Thought I'd at least check! And in any event, thanks again for this labor of love here!
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

Any chance of ordering one before the holidays then? Cheers
superg

Post by superg »

mremulator wrote:Any chance of ordering one before the holidays then? Cheers
Let me enable everything back, it's all in stock and all back orders are shipped.
tacameron

Post by tacameron »

sorry double post
Last edited by tacameron on Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.